Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Lil devils x said:
chocolate pickles said:
Lil devils x said:
chocolate pickles said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

Title explains it all

For me, it's all that Ray Rice costume bullshit... Who thought THAT would be a good idea??

WARNING: If anyone mentions GamerGate, I'll get mi mod friends to ban you. I've got 69 proxies and 420 firewalls and browse in incognito mode, you'll never know it was me
Forgive me: As a non-American, what was supposed to be racist about this?
The kid is in black face pretending to be a black wife beater guy dragging his black unconscious fiance around.

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_c5nk3w3n/
OK. thanks for clarification. I'm gonna be honest, though, i don't really find that racist - poor taste? oh yeah, like dressing up as Hitler. But not really racist. It seems more like making fun of an individual rather than of a race.
I see it as being in poor taste AND racist, as well as a Hitler costume. I mean you knock on a an elderly Jewish woman's door on Halloween dressed as Hitler, can you imagine how upsetting that would be?

The reason the costume is not only in poor taste is that it also mocks and perpetuates the racist stereotypes of blacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_African_Americans
But is it really the costume perpetuating that stereotype or the black guy that beat his wife?

Hell, I wasn't aware that black guys beating their wives was a stereotype til you mentioned it. In my part of the world, it's generally bogans (Australian white trash) that beat their wives.

EDIT: And two posts before mine actually illustrates my point for me.

Timmaaaah said:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2014/oct/12/racist-rant-brisbane-train-video

Probably this.
That's a bogan. And that's the kind of person that's stereotyped for being racists/woman beaters here.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
A tow truck driver I met in Texas. The shit that came out of this guys mouth. My friend felt the need to say "don't do anything, we're in Texas."

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well, there's my immediate family. About half the crap that spews from their vomit holes is horribly racist, which is part of why I never want to speak and deal with any of them again.

Father - Loves Hitler and the Nazis, tried to join a chapter of the KKK. Hates my mother, me, and my siblings because we're 'disease ridden half breeds'.
Mother - Hates Asians because 'they can't drive' (coming from the idiot that has driven down the wrong side of the road several times, into oncoming traffic), and hates Mexicans because they're ruining the church and have goods donated to them when they 'should go to deserving native English speakers'.
Oldest Brother - Hates all middle easterns because 'they're all terrorists', hates Hispanics because ' they're all illegal job stealers'. Frequently goes on how suddenly, foreigners everywhere.
Older Brother - Hates the Japanese because WWII (even though no one in our family was involved in the Pacific Theater, and as such wasn't killed by them), hates Jews because he loves Nazis and because 'they're a bunch of no good money stealing bastards and are slave drivers', also hates blacks because they're 'genetically inclined to be criminals'.
Younger Brother - Largely the same as the Older Brother.

That's largely a generalization, as I'm pretty sure getting more specific will get me banned.

And guess who is stuck living with some of them again because their boyfriend is far crueler than they can comprehend?

The Inquisitive Mug

Jul 11, 2008
Probably all the still-swatika'd ex-cons who show up at my local tattoo parlors who not only have the damn thing to begin with, but now that they are out of prison opt to get them touched up so they can continue wearing a better looking swastika on their horrible, horrible bodies.

Never been to prison, but I'm thinking that I'd rather take all the beatings and sodomy that come with NOT joining the Aryan Brotherhood than to become A FUCKING NAZI.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Oh, and for most stupidly racist, in South Africa we have what could roughly be claimed to be a student union called Cosas. They decided, in soladarity with the people of Palestine, to put a pig's head in a local shop's "Kosher" section. The thing is, that shop doesn't have a Kosher section. So where was the pig's head?

In the Halaal section.

El Comandante

Jul 31, 2013
OT: The last thing was a jocke by a black guy at a halloween party. I asked him where his costume was and he said he always wears one.

But honestly it has to be the things in my head. My thoughts are faster than sanity, I will put you into a box faster than you could think. I do it with all people and I use all the sterotypes I know. Nobody is save including myself. And then I take my time to reconsider.
I have a little history with racisem in my past.
When I started to go to a new school after elementary school, I became an outsider. The small town, where the school was, has some serious social issues and a lot of them are related to failed integration. It did not help that there was a home for kids with "behavioural problems" in my village. I made some bad experiences with people of different backgrounds, beatings, blackmailing, threats, stealing and stuff like that. Oh and trouble at home.
I always had a thing for history and was way ahead of the other students in the subject and some day I realy got into the warmachine of WW2 nazi germany. Say what you want but nobody looked so badass while committing some of the worst war crimes possible. Martial militarism still is something that fascinates me more than is healthy. During these roughly four years I said so many racist things and did some anti-constitutional things, but rarely had the guts to say them to someones face other than friends. I occasionally even came in contact with neonazi-skins. At the same time I was full of hypocrisy and never realy stood behind those things. One can not be a "good" nazi and at the same time listen to Raggae and HipHop. The things you do when you want to belong somewhere.
Step by step I overcame this shit that poisoned my thoughts but it´s not that easy to change the way your brain works. I have learned a lot about the sources and the different ways of racisem and prejudices because of that. I myself think that most people are full of prejudices against strangers, it´s naturaly the fastest way to analyse a new situation. The thing is, will you let the instinct dictate your behavior or will you reconsider, for me it will be a livetime task.
Today I still make a lot of jokes with sterotypes and it´s not always funny, but I keep that for people who can take it. I also openly oppose "real" racisem and repression of any kind and I´m often more sensitive for those things than a lot people around me.
OT: Comments on liveleak are realy bad and the german Company of Heroes livechat was horrible.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
jamail77 said:
Saltyk said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
Now i do not know exactly how i feel about this and here is why, It made me feel badly when i saw the policeman approach them for seemingly no reason, but what made me feel worse is that he was right...... They had been drinking some type of booze out of pop bottles and the cop poured it out and went on his way.
Is it illegal to drink alcohol at that park? The fact all he did was pour it out is not so bad though.
I live in The Vancouver area, British Columbia, Canada. It is illegal to drink in public. The part that bothers me is not that they had their booze poured out, that seems totally legitimate, its that they were singled out of everyone enjoying the park. My girlfriend and i were drinking pink lemonade out of water bottles, he did not bother us. In fact he was quite pleasant.

My internal conflict is as such, how could it be wrong to single them out if they were in fact breaking the law? I am thinking, maybe this guy works this park a lot, and maybe he approaches a lot of black people because they are usually drinking? In his experience as an officer, perhaps this is the most efficient way to do his job? I don't know how to feel about it really, you should have seen my face as i watched the events i described take place.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
jamail77 said:
Eddie the head said:
Well I can't say I know the law everywhere but in the U.S at least it's generally illegal to drink in public. One of the jobs bouncers have here is to make sure if you're drinking something you stay in the bar.
I actually live in the U.S. and didn't know this, but upon doing a quick Google search apparently this is true. I can't believe I didn't know about it. To be fair, I don't drink, so maybe that has something to do with me not knowing. Since you seem to know more about this than I do, would you say it is generally enforced pretty strictly?
Really I only know this because my friend was a bouncer. I don't drink ether. It was in my home town but cops there where pretty zealous. I got pulled over a few times for walking.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Eddie the head said:
jamail77 said:
Eddie the head said:
Well I can't say I know the law everywhere but in the U.S at least it's generally illegal to drink in public. One of the jobs bouncers have here is to make sure if you're drinking something you stay in the bar.
I actually live in the U.S. and didn't know this, but upon doing a quick Google search apparently this is true. I can't believe I didn't know about it. To be fair, I don't drink, so maybe that has something to do with me not knowing. Since you seem to know more about this than I do, would you say it is generally enforced pretty strictly?
Really I only know this because my friend was a bouncer. I don't drink ether. It was in my home town but cops there where pretty zealous. I got pulled over a few times for walking.
It is enforced here in Canada, but they will just pour out whatever you have and send you on your way. Especially at fireworks shows and things of that nature, public gatherings.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Saltyk said:
jamail77 said:
Saltyk said:
snip
Well, some of the worst examples of racism in recent years have all happened in Northern states. [snip] In the last ten years there have been no Southern race riots (with Ferguson literally being the closest example you can find, though I'm certain most would consider it to border the South rather than being a part of it, results may vary, though).

When one looks at the 2010 US census, this starts to make a great deal of sense. Over half of the US black population lives in the South. 55% of the black population lives in the South. In the Northeast, it's about 17% and less than 10% in the West. Isn't it amazing that there are rarely racially motivated incidents where over half of the black population lives? [snip]

Basically, what I'm suggesting is that when people are used to one another, we stop caring. [snip]

Yes, racist attitudes still exist in the South, but they are generally looked down upon. We have transitioned. When my mom was young, she saw a KKK member standing on the side of the road taking donations (you read that right). I've only ever seen KKK members in documentaries and TV newscasts.

And just because someone makes a racist joke, it doesn't make them racist.
[snip]

As for the types, I care little to get into a debate about that.
I don't think saying some of the worst examples of racism have happened in Northern states is any definite proof to your theory. Those are isolated incidents, not long standing trends. They seem to indicate something about the state because they are heavily focused and reported on versus things that do a better job of indicating more widespread and serious problems. That's not to say they aren't indicative, but I don't think it's sure fire proof either. For a similar example, people freak out over the gun shootings we have all the time, but overall violence, including gun violence, is actually lower than it has been before. We have more isolated mass shootings and a media that can cover them more efficiently and to more people due to technological and economical progress, so that scares people that we're going to shambles when we're not. We should still address our isolated mass shootings of course just like we need to address isolated race riots.

I'm not sure whether mentioning New York gives your theory weight either. Race issues tend to be exacerbated in very big cities especially those with big, systematic wealth gaps. You could probably find as close a city as you could get to New York in the South with similar race tensions, just without the same policies about them. I'm not sure though. I was just always under the impression big cities have had race tensions no matter where you go in the world or how far you go back in time. I might just be naive though.

Other than that, that's actually great reasoning and completely understandable. I've heard this argument before and it tends to be backed up by the most bizarre reasoning and evidence, but you have solid reasoning and evidence behind your belief. That's what I get for assuming based on my past negative experiences having this discussion. Thanks for the clarification by the waay.

I personally know nobody who would consider Missouri not part of the South, but you did say results may vary. Officially it is a Midwestern state. While Midwestern states often are in an ambiguous limbo in regards to whether we should classify them as South or North, Missouri is often considered a Southern state by those I know. Its representatives during the civil war were overwhelmingly pro-Union, yes, but that's what caused so much infighting in the state, citizens felt unrepresented. There was also the Missouri Compromise though, so I guess you could argue that historically cancels out any Southern status, but the fact it was a slave state in the Union was kind of awkwardly looked upon for years before the Kansas-Nebraska Act. Maybe we should just classify Missouri and many Midwestern states as limbo states. Might be easier. Haha.

I would also like to point out that it could be possible that neither the North nor the South is better in the racism department and one is just more overt than the other. When 55% of the population is black it's hard to be overtly racist without major repercussions, but when that proportion drops it could be easier to be overtly racist. Or, blacks may feel less represented by the community and by their government and be more willing to make a fuss over it versus when they are mostly surrounded by themselves. I have no scientific evidence to back that up, just a possibility. You could be right that it has more to do with people getting used to one another. I'm not even saying the hypothetical I'm throwing out is even likely. I'm just playing devil's advocate I guess. I don't know why I'd want to do that though:

I also find it interesting you bring up how you've never seen the KKK. Other posters in this thread who grew up in Texas have argued that Texas as a whole isn't that racist, but it does attract pockets of racism. Every single one responded to me that they can go an hour or 2 away and find a well known KKK headquarters/building/whatever. I'd have to go much farther to find anything like that. To be fair, they did point out that most people know to steer clear and few endorse the KKK, but their notability comes from how they can continue on without community outrage and a decent sized membership no doubt. That's not to say this makes Texas more racist than a North state. I am just pointing out because I find it interesting how you have never seen them, yet 3 other posters know of them being only so far away. It's interesting to hear 2 different perspectives on that honestly, you having never seen them and others knowing they're there but to frown upon them. Of course, you didn't say you were from Texas, just that you live in the South, so it's not as though the perspectives are THAT comparably interesting. I don't know, I get interested by the weirdest things.

I'm not sure why you bothered pointing out that making a racist joke doesn't have to make you racist. I didn't say anything about that. Were you just contributing that to the thread in general?

I didn't mention the types to get into a debate by the way. I was just throwing it out to give some perspective to the question of whether something is racist just because it's not overtly racist.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Reasonable Atheist said:
jamail77 said:
Saltyk said:
snip
[snip] The part that bothers me is not that they had their booze poured out, that seems totally legitimate, its that they were singled out of everyone enjoying the park. My girlfriend and i were drinking pink lemonade out of water bottles, he did not bother us. In fact he was quite pleasant.
I get that it's illegal to drink in public, but what's wrong with pink lemonade? When you say drinking in public is illegal you mean alcohol, right? How is pink lemonade alcohol? Would it appear like alcohol from a distance or something? Or is this some sort of slang for alcohol that I'm missing?

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
jamail77 said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
jamail77 said:
Saltyk said:
snip
[snip] The part that bothers me is not that they had their booze poured out, that seems totally legitimate, its that they were singled out of everyone enjoying the park. My girlfriend and i were drinking pink lemonade out of water bottles, he did not bother us. In fact he was quite pleasant.
I get that it's illegal to drink in public, but what's wrong with pink lemonade? When you say drinking in public is illegal you mean alcohol, right? How is pink lemonade alcohol? Would it appear like alcohol from a distance or something? Or is this some sort of slang for alcohol that I'm missing?
I was merely pointing out that we also were drinking a mystery liquid out of a generic bottle, but remained un-bothered.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
jamail77 said:
Gorrath said:
I guess it depends on what you define racism as. According to some, me getting my ass beat by a gang on a near daily basis for being white isn't racist.
Just out of curiosity, do they tell you they beat you up specifically because you're white or do they just beat you up and you gathered that? Because the former is proof straight from their mouths and the other is more hypothetical. I hope that doesn't come off as making light of your situation because that does sound awful, but I've found many cases where people thought they were being mistreated due to racism and it turned out to be something else entirely. Without more context I'm just not sure that's the reason.
While I won't repeat the things that were said to me, as they were filled with language I don't feel is appropriate for these boards (and I am one to curse like a soldier), I will say that yes, I do know for certain my race had a lot to do with why me and my siblings were singled out for the worst beatings these and other youths in the area doled out. We were weak, isolated and essentially powerless. The group was emboldened by the fact that the people in power at the school took a blind eye to the beatings. The principal himself and several members of his staff were racist as well. While race was not the only factor (I was also a socially awkward nerd) it was made clear to me by the group, the community and the people in charge that they didn't take kindly to white people attending "their" school, using "their" park or living in "their" neighborhood.

If you have sure fire proof then yes that would be racist and if people are arguing that isn't racist they are being silly though I get the feeling it's not all entirely just to move the goalposts. Trust me, from my personal experiences it may come off that way, but it could very likely be for better reasons. For example, people often say something that is clearly racist isn't racist because they have suffered much worse. Just because your problem is less severe doesn't make it worth disregarding though, but that's how some people react because when more fortunate people complain about their own problems the unfortunate person often feels disregarded too. It's an unfortunate looping mentality, they feel disregarded so they try to disregard you, but it happens. No serious problem isn't worth considering; the fact other problems are worse is irrelevant. We need to address all the problems. Of course, many people say something is racist or not racist to move goalposts. You're not wrong about that. I'm just warning you that it's not as simple as it might appear though you may very well be 100% right; I don't deny that.
When I talk about people moving goalposts here, I am speaking of the trend of people only accepting systemic racism as actual racism and non-systemic racism as "merely" bigotry. This is where we get the "black people can't even be racist" arguments from. The logic here becomes that even one-off comments that don't intend racism, but which are racist, are a part of the greater systemic racism if they target minorities. And where we end up with this thinking is that if someone makes an unintended racist comment, they have engaged in Real Racism, but if you get your ass beat daily for being white, that isn't Real Racism.

Of course in my case I can show that everyone in a position of power and authority over my situation was either complicit or complacent, which is the usual criteria used to argue systemic racism, but people then move the goal posts so that even that no longer counts. For an alarming number of people, we've reached an accepted definition of racism that is, itself, racist. That's why I started by saying it depends on how one defines the term. The attitude that grows out of this is that even the most mild racist comments are worthy of national condemnation and attention but a white kids getting their asses beat to a pulp for being white isn't even worth mentioning. Hell, some have straight up told me that even mentioning my experiences is merely meant as a way to distract from Real Racism. Fun stuff!

I agree with everything you said in your post by the way.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
We don't have many foreigners around here, well today someone made a joke which would roughly translate to this: "How would you fit 2 nazis and 50 Jews in one car? Nazis would sit in the front and you can put the jews in an ashtray." I probably messed it up and i'm not even sure if it's racist, but what can i do when i'm surrounded by white people all my life..

death525

Aug 29, 2009
Kalezian said:
DirgeNovak said:
Res Plus said:
I understand the Republicans can be utter lunatics but showing ID to prove you are a legitimate voter is an entirely acceptable, a basic part of most enfranchised societies and is really not "racist" in any way.
Kalezian said:
I mean, the elections are for the american people and there should be no reason why an American citizen wouldn't have at the very least a valid drivers license or state ID card.
Having to show some ID? Sure thing. It's natural. Having to show one of the aggressively short, conservative-oriented list of accepted IDs, that somehow accepts fucking gun registrations but not college ID, however, can fuck right off. Not everyone has a driver's license. I don't, because I don't need one. There are lots of very poor people living on tight budgets who literally cannot afford to pay the fees required to get a valid ID card and/or the cost of transportation to where they need to go to get one. These people, citizens who have voted in every past election sometimes for decades, won't be able to vote this month because of these laws.

you.... you are trying to argue that a college ID should have the same weight as a state ID?

let me rephrase a bit, State Certified ID's.

This includes gun registrations, Drivers Licenses, Beer and Tobacco sellers licenses, regular state ID.

And you cant possibly make me believe that it's too expensive to pay $20 for an ID.

that. is. retarded.
No, you are being ignorant for thinking that. Not only is it the twenty bucks but also the cost to go out and get to the places that give out IDs. Let's not forget the time it takes to do that which poor people tend to not have a lot of because they have to work constantly just to survive. Let's not forget the reduction of early voting which tends to be used by poor people who have weird or otherwise tight schedules. So yes, I do believe these laws are designed to disenfranchise voters. Also a student ID should be totally valid since colleges usually have a lot of connections to the government both on a local and national level.

OT: When I lived in Germany, they passed a law that basically gave police the right to pull people over for the crime of being Turkish. It was suppose to be an attempt to crack down on illegal immigration, but yeah, they decided only the Turkish should be targeted.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Reasonable Atheist said:
I was merely pointing out that we also were drinking a mystery liquid out of a generic bottle, but remained un-bothered.
Oh, I see your dilemma now. Kind of obvious in retrospect honestly. Yeah, I can see why the issue concerned you then.

Gorrath said:
jamail77 said:
Gorrath said:
I guess it depends on what you define racism as. According to some, me getting my ass beat by a gang on a near daily basis for being white isn't racist.
snip
snip

When I talk about people moving goalposts here, I am speaking of the trend of people only accepting systemic racism as actual racism and non-systemic racism as "merely" bigotry. This is where we get the "black people can't even be racist" arguments from. The logic here becomes that even one-off comments that don't intend racism, but which are racist, are a part of the greater systemic racism if they target minorities. And where we end up with this thinking is that if someone makes an unintended racist comment, they have engaged in Real Racism, but if you get your ass beat daily for being white, that isn't Real Racism.

Of course in my case I can show that everyone in a position of power and authority over my situation was either complicit or complacent, which is the usual criteria used to argue systemic racism, but people then move the goal posts so that even that no longer counts. For an alarming number of people, we've reached an accepted definition of racism that is, itself, racist. That's why I started by saying it depends on how one defines the term. [snip]

I agree with everything you said in your post by the way.
Sounds like racism to me then. You actually make a good point. It's good to know you aren't arguing this from the position that racism against minorities historically mistreated hasn't gone away as is often the conclusion come to by people in your situation. Now, we have a serious trend of anti-white racism because anti-racism is actually anti-white...or something. *Rolls eyes*. Yes, you can be racist against whites, but it's not as huge of a trend as racism against those historically disenfranchised. Like I said though, that doesn't excuse racism towards whites. You point out that just because systematic racism is focused on doesn't mean non-systematic racism isn't an issue or that you can't have an isolated instance of systematic racism in a specific area. Great analysis honestly.

Your perspective is refreshing though it might also be that I just love seeing a variety of perspectives by people in similar situations in general. You didn't let your experiences change your perspective on others' experiences and I think that's great. I love the diversity of civil debate even though they, unfortunately, often end up turning into petty, angry debates as if the other side is some evil blob. Sigh. Here's a good example: Morgan Freeman. He generally seems like a cool guy, but his comments on racism are in themselves a form of racism to me. He argues if we stop talking about it it will go away and that he and other successful black guys are proof racism isn't really an issue anymore. He is way too privileged and removed from the plight of common people to begin to understand and it's sad he doesn't realize it, smart as he seems. I'm not black and even I can see the BS in that statement. I feel like it's a form of racism towards the majority of unsuccessful disenfranchised minorities. If anyone were to point this out to him I get the feeling he would just weakly dismiss valid points. But, that's just me. Figured I might as well throw in some new perspective in.

Oh, don't worry. It's not as if clarifying your experience means you have to disagree with my points. My points highlight other nuances of this debate, but don't necessarily disregard your experiences. I agree with much of what you said myself.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
When I was in the US Army, I was in a holding company awaiting a medical discharge. The company was made up of two types of people, one half was people who washed out of Boot Camp for either psychological reasons or because they couldn't hack it. The other half were broken soldiers like myself who were hurt during training. Some of us were there for months (after having been through various stages of training which added more months) and we were stuck in limbo, or hell depending on your point of view. Anyway some of us had been there long enough to have built up a DVD collection because there was shit else to do and because of our limbo status we weren't regular military so didn't have the same privileges as post-training soldiers and we'd have regular movie nights. One night we were watching Undercover Brother and about halfway through the movie I realized that about 1/2 of the soldiers watching were black and the other half were for the most part some really stupid rednecks (with a few exceptions here and there). The racist part for me was when I also realized that the black guys were laughing for one reason, and the white redneck jackasses were laughing for another reason (to me the movie is incredibly racist but its also lampooning stereotypes so...) and neither had a fucking clue that the other had totally different intentions with their mirth. So it collectively was probably the most racist thing I've ever seen, yet at the same time strangely brought together two different types of people...
It also happened to be the only night there wasn't a fight in that barracks between a black dude and a white guy. The week previous some jackass redneck was taunting a black guy with racial slurs in the arcade we had and the black dude calmly finished his game, got up and knocked the redneck out sat back down and continued to play. Broke the guy's jaw in 3 places and closed down our only other source of entertainment for days while the MP's questioned us and also to clean up the blood the redneck left behind when he cracked his skull on the floor.
To be fair, the conditions of that holding company was to say the least like an open door prison and there were very prison-like cliques divided along racial lines. There weren't many of us who weren't part of one or the other and even fewer who crossed the racial lines. I thankfully had my own diverse group of folks who I hung out with my whole time there, made up of an Alaskan, dude from Alabama who was not racist at all (not joking he was absolutely abhorred by the racist attitudes), myself (Floridian), a black guy from Compton who really didn't want to go home and a dude from Guatemala who also was going to be deported when he got out. We all played the hell out of some table-top RPGs we made up rules for and kept to ourselves for the most part, avoiding the racial issues.
It was a very sobering and racist experience I'd not care to repeat. Its also not a great representation of the rest of the Army as a good portion of the people who were part of that company were idiots who couldn't hack it anyway and the Drill Sergeants were very good at weeding out potential jackasses. After all you can't fight in a war if you don't trust the person at your back, though there are some racist assjacks who slip through.
Lucky me I was able to return to duty later, though I almost lost my mind in the experience of that hell.