Most Underrated Game of All Time?

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Inb4 Okami/Shadow of Collusus/Psychonauts.

I guess you already beat me with the Psychonauts one though. Seriously though, Search button man. I usually defend people who make repeat topics but this one is done to death >_<

Oh by the way...Bubsy gets my vote, not the abomination that is the PS1 game, but the SNES days.
Dunno about the SNES game but none of those others were underrated. Undersold maybe but citics loved them.

Scunner

Jan 21, 2009
I've always felt that Doom 3 was somewhat underrated. Where ever I see it mentioned, people say it was bad but I enjoyed it. It had a good atmosphere, the monsters always surprised you and it had some features which gave a bit of immersion into the game. Sure it wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
The following games are not underrated here on the Escapist despite what is raved about in mainstream gaming:

Pyschonauts - which is some kind of god game here regardless of who outside the Escapist likes it.
Beyond Good and Evil - another good game, but is also a very appreciated game here.
Shadow of the Colossus - is widely considered on of the best PS2 games of all time, not underrated.
Ico - Overrated if you ask me, it was good, but not great yet people go on about it like its incredible.
Grim Fandango - Is awesome but has one of the largest cult followings of any game
Okami - Similar situation to BG&E and Psychonauts.

These choices keep coming up in the many versions of this thread. Within this community they are considered gems of gaming, and that they are. But, within this community, they are the most appreciated games of all time (with the possible exception of anything by Valve).

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
i just wanted to pop in and add another game:

"Zombies Ate My Neighbors"

i love and still play that game.

MsDevin92

Nov 9, 2008
Hmm...the first Ty the Tasmanian Tiger game. The second and third one progressively got more un-fun, IMO.

And anything Hamtaro. Maybe it's a stellar display of what a weak-minded, squee-squealing girly-girl I really am, but I watched the cartoons and I didn't find the games a disappointment at all. Besides, what game with a starry-eyed hamster as its protagonist lets you take down A GIANT ROBOT BEING PILOTED BY A GUY IN A DEVIL COSTUME?

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Calax said:
Zone of the Enders 2: the Second runner (aka Anubis)

One of the few good mecha combat games in the world.
This, truly was one of the few Mecha Combat games that got the concept right for a change.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Since most of what I'd have listed are already present (Psychonauts, Lode Runner, etc), I think I'll go with Crackdown. I absolutely adore that game. I know most people that bought it only did so to get the Halo 3 beta. After which time, they immediately sold the game. Granted, I know most gamers aren't fans of sandbox games (and no, GTA DOES NOT COUNT), and Crackdown isn't even close to the greatness that is Garry's Mod, but for shear mindless, cathartic, free-form fun there's few games like it. It's not deep. It barely has any kind of narrative. What it does have, however, is hours of fun for anyone with half an imagination and the ability to make their own fun.

I was originally intending to post about Homeworld, but I figured enough people played and absolutely loved that game enough that it can't really be classified as "underrated".

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Trace Memory. I can guarantee that in 20 years time, it will be the DS' cult classic.

Siegreich

Jun 24, 2008
bushwhacker2k said:
I JUST REMEMBERED! The award DEFINITELY goes to Space Station Silicon Valley, one of the best (and least known) games of all time.
Most awsome game ever

Also ad azure dreams to the list, ridiculously awesome gbc rpg

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Guys who say Okami and Shadow of the Collosus probably don't count if we're aiming for underrated. Overlooked is a better term. Pretty much everyone who's played them thinks that they're awesome (myself included) They just didn't sell nearly well enough, which is sad considering how undeniably epic they are. Shall we change the thread name? Overlooked games are so much easier to think about than underrated ones, and kinda encompasses them at the same time.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
awsome117 said:
Golden Sun 1 and 2 by Camalot. Great RPG's that almost no one has ever heard of.
I know. My friend showed me that game years ago and I loved it. But no one I talk to has every heard of it. I wish Isaac had been a playable character in Brawl, that would have been awesome.

If only a third would come out, that would be even cooler.

Crono Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
Three games I remember from my childhood:
Aladdin (SNES), Blazeon (SNES), and Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES). I never hear about those games, but I had a blast with them.

SuperGoomba64

Dec 12, 2008
bushwhacker2k said:
I JUST REMEMBERED! The award DEFINITELY goes to Space Station Silicon Valley, one of the best (and least known) games of all time.
Hey, I'm not alone after all. :D

I thought Lost Planet was pretty good. I'm not sure if it's considered underrated but I enjoyed the game from beginning to end.

worstknightmare

Sep 4, 2008
Beyond Good and Evil, the best accidental buy of my life
Heard there's a sequel in the works, about time too since the game had
a sort of cliffhanger ending just begging for a sequel

and Psychonauts........and Eternal Darkness.......and ICO.........
.....and Shadow of the Colossus