Most Underrated Game of All Time?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Heas said:
Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines
Agreed, I really have to find my old copy.

Shadow of Colossus was awesome, I had a dodgy copy though that froze after the 13th (I think) colossus.

Mount and Blade is pretty awesome, most people seem to disregard it solely because of its graphics.

LiL'Tic

Jan 21, 2009
definately Freedom Fighters for the PS2, nobody has ever even heard of that game but its still awesome

Unfather

Jan 29, 2009
LiL said:
definately Freedom Fighters for the PS2, nobody has ever even heard of that game but its still awesome
This game got decent press at release but was overrun but more popular titles at the time. My opinion that it was one of the best things out at the time and anyone who hasn't tried it most definitely should.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Billy_Pilgrim said:
ToonLink said:
blunted said:
you Escapist guys and your Psychonauts praise circle jerks..

I haven't been able to play through that game more than once, too much crap-collecting for my taste. It was well written and voiced, though.

Most underrated?

It's all about the God Hand, baby.

that, or Lode runner.
all i can do is stare at you blankly. theres a reason that 80% of the people on this site like Psychonauts, because ITS A GOOD GAME! shocking isnt it. and as for "God Hand", god should have taken his hand and tossed that crap in the garbage.
Exactly, if 80% of this site like it, why exactly do you think it's underrated?
Because it received little attention when it came out.

That being said, I think I like Second Sight way too much.

Unfather

Jan 29, 2009
chromewarriorXIII said:
awsome117 said:
Golden Sun 1 and 2 by Camalot. Great RPG's that almost no one has ever heard of.
I know. My friend showed me that game years ago and I loved it. But no one I talk to has every heard of it. I wish Isaac had been a playable character in Brawl, that would have been awesome.

If only a third would come out, that would be even cooler.
I remember this much differently. The first one got tons of publicity and was sometimes referred to as the second coming of traditional RPGs, which I agreed with for worse or better. The second one didn't get as much attention or as good reviews though.

SwiftFlux

Nov 24, 2008
falcontwin said:
Grim Fandango, One of the best avdenture games ever with a great story full of memorable charecters.
Hah, what a ridiculously great game. Definitely one of the funniest I've ever seen

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Phantom. Dust.

Xbox game that plays on the 360. Go to any game store and buy a used copy for, no joke, three dollars. Tops. I've seen them selling this game for 99 cents. I absolutely loved this game to death and back. And, if you don't like it, you lost, oh, three bucks? Maybe four? Only bad thing about it is that on the 360 there's a single event (destroying a bridge thing in one level) that makes the game's frame rate drop down to about one per ten seconds. For about ten seconds. Everything else plays almost exactly the same on the 360. Oh and no one seems to play it online.

Stormcloud23

Aug 15, 2008
VZLANemesis said:
Well, its not really underrated, but many people criticized the GC Zelda and didn't even give it a chance because of it's childish look... I started playing it to help my little nephew get through it. Didn't return the controller till like three days later, having finished every single sidequest. So yeah, I loved the game, and now I think the look is even kind of charming. The sprite "puffs" that the bombs made are so awesome ^_^

Btw, is this topic dead, or just too new?
that's actually one of my favorite games of all time

Unfather

Jan 29, 2009
ToonLink said:
i just wanted to pop in and add another game:

"Zombies Ate My Neighbors"

i love and still play that game.
Still one of the best ever. Just played it yesterday.

balu_san

Feb 5, 2009
Shadow of colossus was the most recent victim to this plague of non-equal-to-real-value-should-popularity. I also feel jealous of not playing psychonauts. I want to play it so much now.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
BrynThomas said:
Heas said:
Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines
Agreed, I really have to find my old copy.

Shadow of Colossus was awesome, I had a dodgy copy though that froze after the 13th (I think) colossus.

Mount and Blade is pretty awesome, most people seem to disregard it solely because of its graphics.
I have two reason for not liking Mount and Blade. The camera in third person and the movements. That's basically what held me back from buying the game for 7,50 ? (I think that was the price).

Also you should buy SotC again if you haven't already played through it.

Magnuscell

Jan 23, 2009
I don't know whether it could be considered "underrated" or not, but I don't hear much mention of it so I'm gonna say Alpha Centauri was pretty damn awesome as "civ" style games go, I'd also give honorable mention to Legend of Dragoon on the PS1, I thought it was a fantastic RPG but the console was just dominated by the 2 awesome entries of Final Fantasy (VII and VIII) and LOD I think was overshadowed by them ...a real pity that game never got a sequel, the ending could've easily set one up ..

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
balu_san said:
Shadow of thecolossus was the most recent victim to this plague of non-equal-to-real-value-should-popularity. I also feel jealous of not playing psychonauts. I want to play it so much now.
Fixed and you can buy Psychonauts on Steam but I recommend the PS2 version.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
ToonLink said:
all i can do is stare at you blankly. theres a reason that 80% of the people on this site like Psychonauts, because ITS A GOOD GAME! shocking isnt it.
Saying "It is a good game" is wrong, because something being good can't be a matter of fact under any circumstances.
In other words, people have different opinions, and stating yours as a fact is rather ignorant.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
Vampire: Bloodlines - The Masquerade, a brilliant RPG, too bad it had a motherload of bugs and the melee was akward
Dark Sector, call it derivative, I really enjoyed playing it

balu_san

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks Vlane I will get it as soon I find it (lack of credit card= no internet buys :/)
Also Portal is underrated in my opinion. It's a great game that makes you want to break your xbox or your head (or both).

vampyricvoid

Jul 24, 2008
I loved Shadow of the Colossus, but I think it's too well rated to be underrated. I'd have to say that The Legend of Dragoon is by far the most underrated game ever. I'm suprised it hasn't yet been mentioned...