Motion Controls Are the Future of Shooters, Says Killzone 3 Dev

Mar 30, 2010
If aiming at the screen for greater accuracy is "the future", why didn't lightguns take off? I hope the gaming industry gets this entire motion-control phase out of it's system soon, the whole thing has gone beyond laughably pathetic and is starting to enter the territory of bloody irritating.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
Tamminga said:
Guys, guys, why so negative? Let's at least give these motion controls a chance before bashing them to hell.
I hate to tell you, but there's this new thing called the Wii, and so far its performance with FPS games has been mediocre at best.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So we are going to revert back to the 90's tech with light gun mechanics? o_O
xXSnowyXx said:
They're no mouse+keyboard, but at least they're better than gamepads.

*flame shields up*
im tempted to say light gun are more accurate than a mouse, tempted. tho im with you on that m+k over gamepad any day.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I disagree. Not because I hate motion controls (not entirely) but because it just sacrifices too much. I would rather have good turning speed and good accuracy than rubbish turning speed and great accuracy.

And besides, how are you supposed to play something as fast as Counter-Strike with motion controls?

Jun 11, 2008
Well I'd be more than willing to give them a go if they sort out the horrible turn problems. I don't think any game I've played I've been as accurate as when I played Time Crisis.

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
Veloxe said:
I just read this as:

"Please, please, PLEASE go buy move! We don't want to have wasted out time adding compatibility for it to KZ3 when we could have been doing useful things!"
This is what I hear as well. Every time a game developer talks about how good their motion controls are, or how awesome their 3d looks I hear them saying 'Sony made us put this functionality in there. Please buy it and use it so they'll be able to say they were right'

I've tried Move, and Kinect, and the Wii with it's motion plus attachment and I'm just not impressed with any of them. If it adds to the fun of playing a game for you, then by all means buy them. For me it just breaks immersion. Now, once we get that nifty holo-deck technology from Star Trek working it's a whole different ballgame.....

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I for one think that motion controls are fine. Yeah, they are gimmicky, but hell, if they incorporate them well enough within the game, it works out pretty well.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Give me a motion controller that is as accurate for aiming as my mouse and I will agree with you. Until then the jury is very definitely still out and my mouse is nowhere near being binned.
There's the Novint Falcon, which is basically 2 mice stacked on each other at an angle which looked promising, it was going to be used for Portal 2 before Razer threw a bunch of money a EA and forced Valve to change it to their shitty wiimote ripoff.

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
Jfswift said:
Ever since I played resident evil on wii I've been sold on motion controls.
THIS!

Have you guys actually played the Killzone 3 beta with the Move? It takes a while to get used to and you should tweak the settings according to your own personal taste (I found a video explaining everything!), but then it quickly becomes awesome.

K/Ds certainly become better.

And once you try going back to the old method, you find it incredibly clunky. Not as bad as going from a PC to gamepad, but still pretty bad.

Keyboard and mouse are better, but Move is better than the gamepad.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Even if motion controls were more accurate, it doesn't make a difference. Controllers work well enough, they don't need improvement.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Motion controls might be better than a gamepad, but a mouse is still superior. I laugh at fps on consoles. Hahahahahah. Thank god for PC.

Disclaimer: I own both an xbox360 and a ps3 and play a LOT of OTHER games on consoles. But fps? HAH!

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Mornelithe said:
Veloxe said:
I just read this as:

"Please, please, PLEASE go buy move! We don't want to have wasted out time adding compatibility for it to KZ3 when we could have been doing useful things!"
Hey troll, just so ya know, MC isn't mandatory, you can still use the controller.
No wai!11!

Who would have guessed?

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
The funny thing is he's right. Motion controls have already proven to be more fun and a better experience than even mouse + keyboard. But, it might take a few years for motion controls to take over the competitive side of FPS games from m+k, because that's really the only thing m+k has now.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Strife2k7 said:
Veloxe said:
I just read this as:

This is what I hear as well. Every time a game developer talks about how good their motion controls are, or how awesome their 3d looks I hear them saying 'Sony made us put this functionality in there. Please buy it and use it so they'll be able to say they were right'

I've tried Move, and Kinect, and the Wii with it's motion plus attachment and I'm just not impressed with any of them. If it adds to the fun of playing a game for you, then by all means buy them. For me it just breaks immersion. Now, once we get that nifty holo-deck technology from Star Trek working it's a whole different ballgame.....
Exactly, it's kind of like having a vested interest in the whole thing. I would have rather had that time spent working on more maps for release or maybe an additional gun or 2 as opposed to having MC. I mean, MC works for some things (My family really enjoys Wii Sports bowling, it's pretty good to mess around with) but it just seems to trip all over any of the "hardcore" (couldn't think of a better term) games like FPS and RPG and RTS and such. Maybe someone just hasn't nailed it yet but it seems like it's just getting forced into stuff regardless of that.

It's like the whole 3D thing. When it's done right it's pretty awesome and can add to immersion, but then we end up with like Step It Up 3D and such since it's just getting crammed back into the media.