Motion Controls Are the Future of Shooters, Says Killzone 3 Dev

Feb 13, 2008
So, standing up and moving around will take the place of sitting down, eating cheetos for FPS players?

Somehow, I think not.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Madmanonfire said:
-snip- But, it might take a few years for motion controls to take over the competitive side of FPS games from m+k, because that's really the only thing m+k has now.
Competative FPS, RTS and MMORPG, but yes apart from them the mouse and keyboard are dead...

Competative FPS, as in you use other controllers if you don't give a crap if you are any good at FPS games? Right, just checking.

Man, those steering controllers are screwed as well since they are only used for driving games.

But before I sound too negative. I am looking forward to the day when we have a better control mechanisum than mouse and keyboard for FPS.

nomadic_chad

Feb 12, 2010
I don't think it has to be an exclusive control method. I'm reading a lot of "bs, motion controls suck, if they go that way then I'm done with fps" etc type of comments, but what you're failing to realize is that just because a game is motion control supported, it does not have to be the sole method for playing the game. Just as games now have compatibility with both mouse and keyboard and game pad control, games in the future will likely have motion control and traditional control methods.

I think this will actually be great as those who want a more "realistic" fps experience can go with the motion control method and those who just want to relax or who don't like the method can continue on with their traditional controls.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
give my the same accuracy my mouse has with a wii-controller(and the move is nothing else) and i might try console shooters one day. You still couldn't play quake3, since after about 20min your arm would fall off

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Lots of people in here haven't played the Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Conduit (not saying it's a good game, but the controls), Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 or GoldenEye Wii.

Or they've rejected them due to the lousy default settings. *sigh* Wish the developers would learn that having Red Steel controls as the default setting is a terrible idea.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Madmanonfire said:
The funny thing is he's right. Motion controls have already proven to be more fun and a better experience than even mouse + keyboard. But, it might take a few years for motion controls to take over the competitive side of FPS games from m+k, because that's really the only thing m+k has now.
Well, that and the versatility of the keysets. That'll always be a challenge for MC solutions. Tbh, I don't see them ever really being able to adapt as many keys as are available on a mouse+keyboard to a handheld solution on console, for obvious reasons.

That being said, I agree, MC is the best next step we have for competition. It'll be interesting to see how they develop the tech further.
I hadn't thought of keysets because I've never had problems with buttons. Also, it's pretty convenient to be able to type-chat. I dislike typing on PS3. :/

~This message has been brought to you by reCAPTCHA. Annoying the escapists one post at a time!~

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
ph0b0s123 said:
Madmanonfire said:
-snip- But, it might take a few years for motion controls to take over the competitive side of FPS games from m+k, because that's really the only thing m+k has now.
Competative FPS, RTS and MMORPG, but yes apart from them the mouse and keyboard are dead...
Sorry, I was just referring to FPS's. I know RTS and MMORPG's will forever be dominated by m+k.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Lets look back through history at all the other failed products that were "the future" of gaming in some way or another and failed.

Atari Mindlink - Although this never actually saw the free market I think there could of been a lot of potential in controlling video games with your face.

R.O.B. - Christ it was a robot that played the game (well certain games) with you how in god's green earth could that ever fail.

Sega Scope 3-D Glasses - Another device that proves those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Yeah I'm looking at you Sony and Nintendo.

Power Pad - Surely this would pave our way into the future of gaming. Honestly, what gamer wouldn't want to run in place on a glorified Twister mat while playing video games?

Power Glove - They made an entire movie to pimp this damn thing so it had to be awesome right . . . right?

U-Force - This device was going to get rid of those overly complicated two button controllers and let us control our games by the use of a series of infrared sensors. I'm sure tens upon tens of people bought this fine product.

Laserscope - Handsfree gaming at it's finest! This was a light gun you wore on your head and fired by yelling the word "FIRE". I've spent many a sleepless night wondering how this didn't catch on.

Sega Activator - Another attempt and hands free gaming, this time though from Sega. Man, I'm sure this would of been just tits if they had made any games that actually supported it.

Super Scope - Bah! The light gun was obviously just a passing fad. Nintendo knew that in the future what we'd REALLY want is light Bazookas !

Virtual Boy - I just floors me that a portable gaming device you have to stick your entire face into didn't take off. Hell this thing was in color too . . .sadly that color was red and it was the only one.

Dreamcast VMU - Honestly who wanted to concentrate on playing your video games on the television when you could amuse yourself by playing them on your memory card.

However, I'm sure looking at the success game makers have had in the past with crazy controllers that Kinect and Move, and motion controls/3D in general have NOTHING to worry about. They are "the future" after all. . . .

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't know if I would call them the future of FPS', but I do have to say that the FPS on Wii had a whole new level of depth and immersion to them with motion controls. It is what made me fall in love with Metroid Prime series.

I am by nature a PC gamer, so Mouse and Keyboard trump everything, but the motion controls done right enhance a game exponentially. You can see them done poorly and done well with Red Steel and Red Steel 2, respectively.

The only thing I don't really agree with is the assessment that you turn more slowly, which is in all honesty a bold faced lie. If the dev is saying that, then the motion controls for the game are already poorly done. On Wii FPS', they have all manners of sensitivity controls from not turning till the aiming retical hits the side of the screen to starting to turn as it moves away from the center of the screen and increasing speed depending on how far away from center you are. Then you hold a button to freeze screen moving and really aim, it's quite an inventive and well worked out system of controlling a game.

theriddlen said:
Bullshit.

Mouse+Keyboard kicks all the asses.
I'm with you, but don't knock it till you've tried it. It makes a game a lot of fun. Even if you don't play that way the majority of the time.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Here's what I think would make console FPS motion controls work: two analog sticks and a pointer.

Left analog stick moves. Right analog stick turns, just as on normal controllers. Then use the pointer to aim at people while on your screen. Then you don't lose accuracy when turning because you're cursor is at the edge of the screen.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Xanthious said:
Lets look back through history at all the other failed products that were "the future" of gaming in some way or another and failed.

R.O.B. - Christ it was a robot that played the game (well certain games) with you how in god's green earth could that ever fail.
ROB's only purpose was to get the NES into toy stores, since they were reluctant to deal with video game systems after the big crash. He was never intended to be the future of anything.

As for products that succeeded and became industry standard...

The D-pad controller. (We were perfectly happy with knobs and shit though, right?)

The analogue stick.

The touchscreen.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Motion Controls Are the Future of Shooters, Says Killzone 3 Dev

You might turn more slowly with motion controls, but according to one of the principal programmers for Killzone 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Killzone-3-Playstation/dp/B002I0K6DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297252130&sr=8-1], the extra accuracy more than makes up for it.

Guerrilla Games programmer Tommy De Roos, who was responsible for implementing Move controls in Killzone 3, thinks that in time, pointing at the screen will replace the traditional controller as the input method of choice for FPS games.

De Roos thought that hardcore gamers were coming round to the idea of motion controls. He said that many core gamers had been reluctant at first, but he found that people who had tried the motion controls on the PS3 were surprised at how well they worked and how much they added to games. De Roos admitted that using motion controls did mean some loss of accuracy while rotating, but said that the accuracy boost in the rest of the game more than made up for it.

He wasn't about to get ahead of himself, however, as he acknowledged that it is still very early days for motion controls. He said that Nintendo had done a lot of research into the idea, and that Sony was starting to do the same. He was confident, however, that in a few years time, all FPS games would use motion controls, and specifically a pointing controller like the Move.

De Roos seems to be talking about console FPS games, rather than FPS games in general; it's hard to see PC gamers giving up their mice and keyboards for something that does pretty much the same job, only less well. It's entirely possible that De Roos is right, and that console gamers will one day embrace motion controls for shooters, but it seems like that day is a long way away. That's not because that there's anything wrong with motion controls, but it seems like it will be hard work getting millions of gamers to shell out for a motion controller when they have a perfectly good, regular controller already. If the next generation of consoles comes with both regular and motion controllers in the box, however, it will be interesting to see which one people favor.

Killzone 3 comes out for PS3 on February 22nd.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287788/news/killzone-3-dev-most-fps-games-will-be-played-with-motion-control-in-a-few-years/]

It'll never happen. Motion control is a lot buggier, and even if it wasn't accuracy when rotating/rotation speed is much more important than accuracy against what's right in front of you because you have less time to react so you have to be more accurate.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Baresark said:
I don't know if I would call them the future of FPS', but I do have to say that the FPS on Wii had a whole new level of depth and immersion to them with motion controls. It is what made me fall in love with Metroid Prime series.

I am by nature a PC gamer, so Mouse and Keyboard trump everything, but the motion controls done right enhance a game exponentially. You can see them done poorly and done well with Red Steel and Red Steel 2, respectively.

The only thing I don't really agree with is the assessment that you turn more slowly, which is in all honesty a bold faced lie. If the dev is saying that, then the motion controls for the game already poorly done. On Wii FPS', they have all manners of sensitivity controls from not turning till the aiming retical hits the side of the screen to starting to turn as it moves away from the center of the screen and increasing speed depending on how far away from center you are.

theriddlen said:
Bullshit.

Mouse+Keyboard kicks all the asses.
I'm with you, but don't knock it till you've tried it. It makes a game a lot of fun. Even if you don't play that way the majority of the time.
Christ. Finally someone else who actually knows what s-/he's talking about.

Way too much people voicing opinions based on misinformation or prejudice here.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
I'll agree that I like motion controls in Twilight Princess (using the bow and arrow is nice and quick in comparison to aiming with sticks) but I doubt it's the future of shooters. Too many people will want to stick to how it's done now.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I would really love to try a FPS on the Kinect, but just for fun. If there's elitism involved, controller or PC controlls are the way to go. For now..

L.E. after reading some other posts : why the hell are you bashing something you've never tried? Are you still playing your games on black and white TV's and drive a Flintstones car because you're afraid of progress?
Give it a shot before all this vociferating

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Sorry but no. Sure it can be decently accurate, but nothing beats a mouse. Since he's clearly talking about consoles, if you want accuracy use this:

I have one and it is awesome.

But motion controls are better than gamepads for aiming, I'll give him that. I've used Move in demo form only, but owning a Wii I have to say Metroid Prime and Dead Space Extraction were pretty fun with motion controls.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I like his enthusiasm and I like how faithful he is in his product but I can't agree. The FPS genre requires speed, reflex and, accuracy; two of the three (arguably all three) are significantly reduced when you ask the player to go from the more familiar 'use thumb on pad' to, 'use arms and pointer'.

The closest thing I can equate this too is Mario Kart Wii: I started playing it with the Wii-mote and while it functioned well enough, I always felt as though I wasn't completely in control. Then I switched to the gamecube controller and found myself breezing through time-trials and, 150cc alike. The only Wii titles I will pick up are the ones that allow me to keep MC minimal (like Donkey Kong, that allows you to play with the control sideways) or MKW which allows you to play with the traditional controller.

Platformers and Kart-racing games are much easier than most FPS titles. Couple with this the fact that motion controls still aren't fully able to sync up with the movement of the user despite many years of R&D and the steep learning curve required to master the things and I really can't see most people putting up with the things except for the children who are growing up now who know nothing other than the Wii and motion control.

I am, however, in favor of arcade-exclusive rail shooters like Silent Scope and, Time Crisis.