Movie Bob gets called out by Chris Roberts on PC gaming

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Zeh Don said:
barbzilla said:
...You completely discredit someone because they make a bad movie?...
No, I completely discredit a man who turns down a million dollar movie deal with Francis Ford Coppola because he refuses to listen to anyone, and then churns out one of the worst movies ever made and refuses to accept that it was a bad movie.

As for Lord of War, Andrew Niccol's project, Chris Roberts did little more than attach himself to the project in an attempt to resurrect his career if the film was wildly successful. It wasn't. Someone like Niccol can suffer a string of bad movies, because at the very least he takes criticism, and has enough solid, if poorly executed, ideas to sustain himself as a film maker. In Time, with Justin Timberlake, was a bad movie that was just bad enough to be entertaining despite the massive leaps of logic necessary to sustain it.

Chris Roberts made Wing Commander, a movie so shit even EA refused to make more games in the Wing Commander franchise for over a decade. Take a moment and understand that sentence. Then understand that Chris Roberts burned every bridge he had to make that movie because he honestly believed it was a work of art.
His opinions are worthless.
Sounds like you really took that movie personally. I'm sorry if you don't like the guy, but I still don't see discrediting someone based on a single failure. Sure, it was massive, hell it was absolute shit, but that still doesn't mean anything. You see entertainment is purely based on perception and opinion. Just because you think he churns out shit, others can love it. Hell, even Ewe Boll keeps getting work, what does that statement tell you? I think you have some personal vendetta against him, and if I'm wrong I apologize, but that is just how your vehemence feels.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It's kind of funny how Extra Credits believe the exact opposite of what MovieBob believes.

(The Consoles are the new coin-op episode)

I agree with them more; as gaming becomes more accessible, there will be less reason to invest in a machine solely dedicated to gaming, which is why the new PS4 has so many social features; Sony knows that they need more to sell the console not just as a gaming platform(same with the PS3:Blu-Ray, and Netflix-style apps on consoles atm).

Personally, whilst I still think that MovieBob is an intelligent guy, he should stay away from these kind of topics.

The only reason for why he made the "PC Gaming Is Dead" video seems to be spite; everyone else would just ignore it, but no, he just decided to pour gasoline onto an already intense flame-war.

He could've just ignored the issue, but he didn't.

Also, ALL kickstarted games(the famous ones, Torment, etc.) will be on the PC; their funding alone shows great demand, and no one is bitching that they're not available on console, since those kind of gamers just don't care about the genres that PC dominates.

If one were to hypothesize, then I think that "Civ-style god games & Simulations" would die out if PC gaming ceased to exist, as there is no market for them in the console scene.

Also, AoE online failed and I doubt that Casual gamers would be interested in deep strategy games. That, and the fact that "social games" are crap, and are barely classified as games, little more than "cow-clickers".

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Movie Bob is MOVIE Bob for a reason. Every time I hear him speak about video games I want to punch his teeth in. He's incompetent as video game critic and commentator.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Gnmish said:
I didn't realise what a raving console fan boi Movie Bob was.
Oh, he's been quite open about being a Nintendo Fan Boy for some time. He came right out and admitted it during a panel at last year's Expo. He's also admitted he's never done much PC gaming.

My favorite part of his video was actually when he referred to PC's as big white boxes on top of your desk. Which is funny as that hasn't been the default appearance of PCs for about a decade now.

While the video posted is certainly interesting, refuting Movie Bob is kind of aiming for the low hanging fruit. He admits being a fan boy of Nintendo, and he admits not knowing much about PC gaming. Yet he still made a video on why PC gaming is dying. Do you really think it's that hard to refute him?

Images

Apr 8, 2010
When MovieBob is giving the history of a given subject, its great. Its informative and amusing.

When he gives his opinions its horrible drivel. The self-centred ravings of a condescending, conclusion jumping dullard.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Once again, people completely miss the point of Bob's piece. Fanboys People never seem to get past the first half of the title to the the part where it says "Long Live PC Gaming". The Personal Computer as a device and, as a result, PC Gaming, is on the cusp of a major evolution in the way people interact with technology. (Disagree? Don't believe me? Look up the Google Glass or Project Shield or any of the myriad new devices to make personal computing even more personal.)

The piece is not about death, it's about rebirth.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Moviebod knows fuck all about gaming which would not be a problem if he didnt claim to, but he does. the video game overthinker are some of the worst videos based on gaming i have seen, there are ill informed, make rediclas statements and because of his Nintendo biese make much of what hes says worthless. even worse, much like all the video on thatguywiththe glass.com, he crams a story into his video just to show of what a good write and film maker he is, sadly hes not, he a shite writer and because he is the only actor in the videos there overall quality is very low.

as for the video in question im okay with call out shite exsecily when the shite thinks its the bees neas. was it a little inapprate? yes. was it taken out of contex? perhaps but i think was should demaded better games commenty which mean clling people out when they produce shitty content.

I like bob big picture and he movie reviews are okay, but as far as gaming is concerned he needs to stop.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
There are so many reasons why tablets and most laptops just aren't suitable for gaming by themselves.
Compare them to handheld consoles (DS, PSP etc.) and the lack of suitability screams at you.

It's like people have forgotten about interface altogether. Touch screen (at least touch screen as we know it) is a sub standard gaming interface. So unless people are going to start carrying around keyboards, mice and controller pads (which kind of defeats the point of gaming on a portable computer) we will be seeing no big changes any time soon.

Yeah and game overthinker videos are laughable, which is a shame because his movie reviews and analysies are interesting.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Angelblaze said:
I'm actually still with Moviebob here and this guy doesn't change a thing.
*shrug*
Agreed. The fact is that this guy's idea of a comeback is just a reconfirmation of movieBob's preamble (Why yes Robert, your game is a space flight sim. One of the few things that Bob admitted was a PC game mainstay for now.) Even if all Moviebob was going to say is that pc was dead (instead of going on to explain how that concept is totally misleading), he would still be proving Bob is right. To prove him wrong, he'd need to be providing something akin to a PC exclusive, AAA, FPS, billion dollar super franchise.

On the other hand, I like how this reference to Bob's material demonstrates the increasing prominence of games journalism, beyond standard reviews and industry news. I suspect Bob might actually be proud, rather than annoyed, to have his work put on show, even if it is for the purpose of letting developers give him the finger.

TheOneGuyInNebraska

Apr 9, 2013
Did anyone here in the comments sections actually fucking WATCH Moviebob's full video before they began taking a side!
He wasn't actually saying PC gaming will die morons, he was saying it will take on a new life of it's own through new technologies. What we THINK is PC gaming will die, actual PC gaming will live on.

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos

Dec 7, 2012
You know! Because it's not like one's opinion can possibly change!

This guy is an idiot.

Edit: Nevermind, OP's misleading title is the problem here. He isn't 'calling out' Movie Bob specifically, but the general idea of PC gaming dying (which, i think we all can agree, is pretty stupid).

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
I learned to avoid Bob's videos that weren't reviews or "x is weird" because he constantly ticks me off and made me furious thrice.
He's the kinda guy I would deny recognition of but still keep up with a selection of his work.

wombat_of_war said:
wing commander.. a movie that not only floped but killed the wing commander game franchise but almost the entire space sim genre
edit: i keep messing it up.
You mean the guy that made vanity movie and went on to make Starlancer and Freelancer?

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Movie Bob is not necessarily incorrect. Though the way he passed his thoughts may be frustrating to some people.

I find it to be a rather lackluster purchase of a computer if you are only buying it for games.

But also, I never knew the users on the escapist had such contempt for Movie Bob's opinion on games.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
I was able to watch the Chris Roberts video up to around the 9:30 mark where he posited that games had the potential to offer superior immersion to films. At that point, I needed to go make a quick phone call - "Ripley's, you're never going to believe this!"

I enjoy MovieBob's shows, but I do not think that he (or anyone else, for that matter) is always right. If a critic agrees with my views on a subject, that doesn't mean that I am right either. If a critic disagrees with me, then I get to view whatever is being discussed through different eyes. It is just one person's opinion.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I remember that video, and also seem to remember thinking it was dumb as a brick.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
The only bummer about Bob's video is that it got most things right to a degree, and yet people still want to cling on to the good old days. It is funny though how because it seems both of these people are disliked here, its like who can hate who more.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
People seem to be defending Movie Bob, even though he proclaimed PC gaming was dying. He gave examples but it didn't seem like he had actually taken parts any of the good things about PC gaming with him.

The ability to swap parts. Unofficial patches. Betas. MODDING.

But you know what, Bob might have been right back in 2010, it looked pretty grim. But in 2013, we're rising up towards the clouds, baby. We got stuff like Kickstarter, IndieGoGo and Steam Greenlight. Modding is becoming a more official thing, even integrated into Steam as Steam Workshop. PC Gaming is looking good.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
TheOneGuyInNebraska said:
Did anyone here in the comments sections actually fucking WATCH Moviebob's full video before they began taking a side!
He wasn't actually saying PC gaming will die morons, he was saying it will take on a new life of it's own through new technologies. What we THINK is PC gaming will die, actual PC gaming will live on.
Most did, however it's nice to see MB's fans to be as...Eloquent as he is.
MovieBob is the same guy who said tht liking a movie that he didn't like made you a sub-human piece of shit...Yeah, his opinion on anything is about as valid as the shit I produce after eating corn.