Movie Bob gets called out by Chris Roberts on PC gaming

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Oh hey a PC only guy that turned his back on consoles slandering them and burning his own bridges and now uses a quote from moviebob from 2 years ago to bolster his non existent childish point.

Yeah I could hardly give any fucks about a guy who feels the urge and ened to call someone out in order to make his own point and game look good while hating on the other platforms and never wanting anything to do with them.

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
Movie Bob talking about something he doesn't know anything about? He does that twice a week on this site.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It's kinda funny but watching that episode of Moviebob and he's practically wrong on every statement.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Well this is certainly going to draw some lines in the sand here.

Remembering what I do from that episode of the big picture, I dont think bob was saying its dead in the sense its going to disappear, but rather its just going through a change thats going to change the face of it to something not immediately recognizable if you took a hard break from one point to the other. I'm not a hard core fan of bob's and i've never really heard of this person cause I dont keep up on blogs/vlogs but I do think its little funny that now PC fans feel they have to defend themselves against the mighty console bullies after going for so long saying they were the master race. enjoy your time in the muck with us, glad you could join.

Also I dont really think Roberts is helping his argument when he quotes numbers and stats from games like WoW and Guild Wars when those were one of the things Bob specifically mentioned as something that will flourish as the PC gaming landscape changes and is a backbone to it.

... plus (and I proably dont have the right to say this since I'm not going to look for more of this guy's videos cause he just doent draw my attention and this is my first experience with him) Roberts when he starts talking about HIS credentials to talk about this subject matter just comes off as Elitist (Oh I was in a company but walked away cause Id ont like big companies, then I went to be a small busi. film maker but my stuff didnt get made as much as big budget and now I want to go back to games because when I made them they were great cause we were small). we get it, but that doesnt mean you're any more qualified than movie bob to talk about this and not one to say he's wrong in a such a spectacular way as he did. and if bob comes off as fanatical fanboy about consoles, Roberts equally sounds as fanatical fanboy about PC and Im not really seeing why thats supposed to be alright while with bob its not.

but thats just my opinion. feel free to tear into it, I probably wont have much of a counter argument other than this is how i feel. I dont personally care about PC gaming just cause I like the feeling of a controller in my hand, but thats just me so its not a hate against PC gaming, just a disagreement with this guy.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lol

wow....

I'd say i find it amazing how many people missed the point of Bob's video, but then this is the same site that had to have Jim do back to back Jimquizitions about the ME3 gay content non issue cause the first video was to subtle.

sides, who ever this guy is, he missed the point as well, so what ever point he thinks he's making is moot anyway

Vladimir Stamenov

Nov 8, 2011
Did anyone pause to fucking see that MovieBob's video is from 2011 and Roberts' from this year? That's two years difference. A lot of things changed in two years, in no small way thanks to Kickstarter.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Vhite said:
Ah yes, the video where MovieBob lost all the credibility for his gaming rants. I still watch his comic and movie videos though.
The video nobody seems to have actually watched, yes.

He didn't say PC Gaming is dying becasue consoles are taking over, he said PC gaming AS WE KNOW IT is dying because the desktop PC AS WE KNOW IT is dying.

And apparently we've also all missed his recent video where he said THE SAME THING ABOUT CONSOLE GAMING.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Seems taken slightly out of context.

I remember that video, and I think Bob's probably right on that one- the desktop PC isn't going to make it. As far as I remember, Bob was saying that PC gaming would morph into something slightly different, as the PC becomes the laptop or whatever. He wasn't saying 'PC GAMING IS DOOOOOOOMED! CONSOLES R TEH BESTEST!'.

Loonyyy said:
I doubt it. If you look at his responses to opposing viewpoints ("The Nineties Sucked", "Is Django Racist", the part where he insulted anyone who liked The Expendables and ranted at them for ruining Scott Pilgrim, etc), they're non-apologies at best, and rarely take the actual criticism into account, and tend to try to spin it. So much that he misses the original criticism by a mile.

I love his videos, particularly his movie reviews, but he's rather intractable.
I do disagree a fair bit with Bob but I'm not entirely sure this is fair. I was one of the people that was a bit pissed about the whole Expendables thing, but that was a while ago and it's not something he's done again. I'm not sure 'The Nineties Sucked' was something he even needed to apologise for, but I think his response was fairly good. I'd rather he did what he did- explain his position, which was understandable when fully explained, than just get a 'sorry'. Again, the Django thing, I'm not really sure why he should apologise for anything there. He merely stated his opinion, didn't bash the opposition (called Spike Lee's viewpoint 'understandable').

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
I personally think MovieBob's quote is currently wrong, but at the time was a relatively accurate opinion/statement.

I've seen many people talking about how Moviebob was wrong purely on the argument of "Minecraft" and "indie titles," and while those certainly were around at the time of his statement, neither became part of the general popular knowledge until mid to late 2011, an easy 3+ months after his statement.

I personally agreed with him at the time, but I am extremely happy to PC gaming making a turn around.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
Did I miss something here? I didn't quite hear the part where he put MovieBob in his place. Either way I didn't hear anything wrong in the video clip nor did I hear anything going for a "circle jerk" as someone else has said. Pretty good clip and will look forward to the games release.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
Seems taken slightly out of context.

I remember that video, and I think Bob's probably right on that one- the desktop PC isn't going to make it. As far as I remember, Bob was saying that PC gaming would morph into something slightly different, as the PC becomes the laptop or whatever. He wasn't saying 'PC GAMING IS DOOOOOOOMED! CONSOLES R TEH BESTEST!'.
In fact, the drop in PC sales may indicate exactly this.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Terminate421 said:
I'm for the call out. I am sick and tired of Moviebob taking potshots at whatever he doesn't like and then calling those who like it idiots.

It's good for once that someone said something instead of text that no one will ever read.
Too true. I honestly think he didn't go far enough IMO.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
I haven't watched the entire video, but its beginning sounds like an ad:
"Remember some random dude on the internet said PC gaming is dead 2 years ago? No worries, I got you covered. Star citizen will save PC gaming from utter annihilation"

I watched Bob's video and his arguments make sense. But he missed a few things:
1) While other devices can replace the PC, having them all is expensive. A PC is more versatile and provides more "bang for the buck" than a tablet or a laptop.
2) He mentioned that specifically he NEEDS a PC for his editing work. I think he underestimates the amount of people who need a PC for professional reasons, and get PC gaming basically for free. Students ,for example, would have a hard time going through high-school and college without a PC, and there are a lot of those. Also there content creators, social media junkies, programmers and artists out there, definitely a lot more than there were 10 years ago.
3) Ease of development. To make a game for XBOX you need MS's permission and tools. For PS3 - Sony's. For Wii/WiiU - Nintendo. For PC - you don't need anyone. There are a lot of free tools out there, and you don't have to pay anyone to release your game.
I am not trying to say the PC's are superior. Consoles have their advantages. But definitely not dying.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Master_Fubar23 said:
Did I miss something here? I didn't quite hear the part where he put MovieBob in his place. Either way I didn't hear anything wrong in the video clip nor did I hear anything going for a "circle jerk" as someone else has said. Pretty good clip and will look forward to the games release.
After the Moviebob clip Chris Roberts says, "well that was from 2010 and goes to show you how smart the experts are when predicting the future"

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I remember that video! It's the one where he spews a load of bollocks about how we'll all be playing on touchscreen devices in future and that kb/m is becoming obsolete, right?

Yeah, he couldn't have been more wrong there, maybe we'll be able to carry our computers around soon enough but I doubt we'll do away with kb/m until we see proper virtual reality stuff and even then it'll have it's uses.

LollieVanDam said:
astrav1 said:
Hey so long as he is called out on something I'm happy. Now somebody needs to do something on his BS White-Knighting that nobody asked for.
What white-knighting? Many are the charges to be levelled against Bob, but I can't recall any evidence of THAT one.
Whilst there are other examples, his video on Hansel & Gretel stands out as a recent and more than ridiculous example.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
OMG Movie Bob said desktop pc's are going to get phased out for smaller more versatile tech. He is such a noob and has no gaming credentials.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025926/intel-exits-the-desktop-motherboard-business-to-focus-on-new-form-factors.html

Oh snap looks like Intel totally agrees with bob on this one. Get ya head out ya arses people the future is coming don't get left behind.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
RevRaptor said:
OMG Movie Bob said desktop pc's are going to get phased out for smaller more versatile tech. He is such a noob and has no gaming credentials.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025926/intel-exits-the-desktop-motherboard-business-to-focus-on-new-form-factors.html

Oh snap looks like Intel totally agrees with bob on this one. Get ya head out ya arses people the future is coming don't get left behind.
Not quite.
Even worse, the feature sets offered by Intel motherboards often haven't kept pace with the offerings from Asian companies, begging the question, Why even buy an Intel board in the first place?
All that the article is saying is that Intel has better ways to make money than competing with other companies that can make better motherboards for less money.

Edit:
Snyder also said Intel remains strongly committed to desktop CPUs and chipsets, citing K series CPUs, which allow end-user overclocking, and upcoming third-generation Extreme CPUs as key examples.
Edit2:
This would be a better source: http://www.zdnet.com/idc-global-pc-shipments-plunge-in-worst-drop-in-a-generation-7000013839/

nullplan

Nov 3, 2011
Some thoughts on the matter here:

Did nobody here learn how to discuss? I mean at all? In a discussion the person of an argumenter is supposed to be immaterial. But no, let's rip that Chris Whatshisname a new ***, and MovieBob, too, while we're at it.

MovieBob said that the PC is probably going away in the next decade or so, in favor of more mobile devices like laptops, tablets, etc. I personally think that's not going to happen, for a few simple reasons: For one, the PC is not only used as a source of entertainment. I personally work with one everyday. And I suppose you could replace it with a tablet, but a sad faced programmer is all you're gonna get out of that. PCs are at the moment being used in controlling specialized machinery. Since I know some of those, and I know they are still DOS based, I can safely tell you that change is not something foremost in the manufacturers' minds. Apart from that, the simple fact remains that to get a laptop capable of taking on current games, you need to shell out far more than for a PC capable of that.

As far as replacing the mouse with Nintendo Zapper knockoffs goes, no, not happening. I'm currently replaying Metroid Prime 2, and let me tell you, I would LOVE to play that one with a mouse. Especially strange is that Samus can apparently look up further if she's aiming at something.

The PC is on the cusp of a major evolution? You serious? Because last time I checked, the PC had pretty much evolved. My first PC was a 486, and that one really doesn't hold a candle to my current multi-core multi-GHz processor, multi-GB RAM and multi-TB harddisk. If that is not evolution, what is? Even the exterior changed: My 486 was a white desktop, and my current rig is a black tower. Well, joke aside, please stop propagating the next technology bubble. OK, so this year tablets are in. So what? A few years back, netbooks were the thing of the future. People who believe they can tell you the future are either crazy, delusional, or stupid enough to fall for someone crazy or delusional.

OK, Intel want's to make other mainboards. Well, I seem to recall Intel announcing their next CPU would not be capable of running Linux. Which means that they are currently experiencing a string of really bad calls. Why else would they totally remove themselves from the server CPU market? (And how are they doing it, anyway? Are they going to look for penguin logos and refuse to run if it's found in the main memory? And just which dead bodies did Microsoft dig up in their basement?)

Back to the argument itself: Is it likely that PC gaming will go away in favor of laptop or tablet gaming? Well... a laptop is a specialized PC with a nearly-fixed hardware and a battery, and as I recall, gaming laptops are quite the power-guzzlers when used as such. Also, while you usually want you laptop to be as small as is usable for yourself, for games you may want a bigger screen, which makes the laptop bulkier. So no, I don't think laptops are the way to go. Tablets currently don't have enough power, and I don't see that changing without them requiring a constant power connection. Lastly consoles... well, there is a reason why PC gaming has not died out yet. And if it is as simple as the mouse. Yes I have played shooters on consoles, but I didn't like the experience. And I definitly do not want to play an RTS on a console (maybe it's possible, but so is lighting your own hair; that doesn't mean it's a good idea).

And the other argument: Does MovieBob talk out of his behind? Well, sometimes... usually, when he's not reviewing a movie or a decades old game or recounting the history of... pretty much anything, he tends to suck. In an entertaining way, I'll grant you. And I can totally get behind the charges of criticism-dodging. The problem is not so much that he has strong oppinions (Jim Sterling has those, too), but rather that his are untarnished by any kind of fact.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
RevRaptor said:

Didn't Intel got completely fucked over by AMD in pretty much every other front?

About the Movie Bob thing, meh. I don't really listen to him about gaming (don't follow game overthinker, it has one of the most embarrassing content I've seen on the web thus far), mainly because he rails on FPS being the "most creatively bankrupt genre" or something like that, when it's more of the companies fault for making trash. Thank God that The Big Picture has been more about comics lately.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
If I recall correctly MovieBobs point was that the desktop PC itself was going to decline in the coming years and decades, and other more mobile devices as well as consoles would rise up as stronger contenders for the role that the pc currently fills.
At the time I thought that was a little absurd, but now I'd have to agree on the general idea. Even apple who for a long time wanted you to use your mac as your life hub have turned toward the cloud as the centere for all your devices. It makes syncing things up easer if nothing else, no plugging things in, no missing something if its on another machine and their servers are a much less likely point of failure than your computer is. Google unsurprisingly wants everything to run through your browser and there are clear advantages to having things work like that.
There is a move away from the PC being the single and most important device, I do not see it as something that is happening any time soon and nor something that must or will happen. It is only something that appears to be happening in small, small steps.