Movie Defense Force: Waterworld

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
You've embarked on a journey over very choppy waters trying to defend this sinker, my dear floatational Sir Sterling.
But I love you no less for trying.
You are the man and I still "Thank Him for Jim" on a biweekly basis.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I can barely remember anything of Waterworld except not understanding why so many hated it. Maybe it was just unmemorable for such a memorable premise.

Now, I can't wait for Jim to do Star Trek V.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
I recently re-watched Waterworld as part of a post-apocalyptic movie binge, and was surprised how enjoyable it was. I completely concur with your assessment, Jim!

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Worgen said:
My favorite character in the movie was Kevin Costner's boat, damn that boat was awesome, sucked when it died..
That's funny, I didn't realize I also posted on this site under the name "Worgen." (Explaining The Joke: I have said this exact same thing about the movie.)

Jim, I just like you more and more. I always thought Waterworld was a fun, silly, cheesy action movie with a great look to it, but people act like everyone can agree that it's just objectively bad or something.

It seems like I'm the target audience for this show (yes, me personally), since I prefer to enjoy movies for what they are rather than nitpick every detail, and I'm pretty much alone in that respect in my social circle. So I think this show could very well become my favorite one on the site. :D

(When are you doing Repo? I want that episode now!)

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
I remember watching it back in the 90s and thinking it was relatively mediocre. Not terrible, just boring. I haven't seen Face Off, but at least two of the movies you mention had several elements that pushed them above Waterworld in terms of quality: Independence day was was actually funny, not just silly (i.e. it had comedy that actually worked, and is still used as the basis of jokes to this day) and an adversary that seemed legitimately threatening. Hook had strong and memorable characters, as well as a theme to which children and their parents could relate.

While the somewhat over-the-top action sequences, reliance on slapstick in some scenes, and devotion to action tropes is the same in all three, pretending that this means there aren't other good reasons Independence Day and Hook were better received (and continue to be better thought of) is entirely disingenuous.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
No. No, this one is still pretty darn bad. Plot points make little sense, characters are cardboard. Eh. The setting is fine, but that's all that's okay.

At least independence day had Will Smith.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I never saw Waterworld due to the terrible reception it's gotten, but now I think I'll have to seek out a copy...

Honestly, I'm surprised more movies/TV shows/games haven't explored the 'flooded earth' idea. This and Wind Waker are the only two examples that come to mind.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I can agree somewhat. I didn't think the movie was particularly good, but I liked it for some of the reasons listed. I figured out now that I wanted to see more of the floating cities and exploration of "old earth". They created a neat world and only let you peek at it.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
I always thought this movie was bashed as a flop and not necessarily a bad movie. It killed Costner because no one wants a star that cannot attract viewers. That's how it worked then and how it works now.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Okay firstly i thought it was explained dirt was important because they had a few Plant seeds left and dirt could be used to grow the seeds into food, something kinda hard to find in post-apocalypse mega ocean.

Also i always wondered who these people were that hated this movie. it was a fun little romp through a flooded world. i agree with all points. It wasn't great, but it was fun.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It was YEARS after the movie came out, and years after I first watched it, that I realized that people didn't like Waterworld. When I heard it lost money, even then I never figured that it was widely disliked. I always figured it was a sort of cult classic, even comparable to Mad Max, just a bad business decision. It was hardley a classy, challenging tale, but it was very fun, and the setting was great.

To this day, whenever the idea of something being a myth comes up, it will immediately be compared to dry land.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Water World was a fun movie but it was also a bad movie. The one aspect of this whole movie defence force that has me rather confused is that these movies were declared bad by general concences because thats what people thought of it. Jim's defence aproaches the subject as if some evil movie overlord stamped bad on the cover and that was that. you can't tell someone they were wrong for liking or not liking something.

I saw water world, I thought it was fun but also a bad movie and have had no inclination to ever see it again. What about that has to be defended against? I just don't see the appeal of this segment... and I kind of hope Jim tries again with something else. there's nothing wrong with trying something new but much like a bad movie I just don't like this segment despite it having good bits...

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I find this movie incredebly boring, though not as boring as The Postman! There´s really no reason why it should run for 2½ hours, bland action scenes and a story that´s going nowhere.

Lord Hosk

Dec 2, 2011
JarinArenos said:
Preach it, Jim! This movie was one of my all-time favorite popcorn-action films, right up there with Independence Day.

Edit: 1, people fear things different from them. Mutants are different. I never even questioned this; it's human nature. Countless stories play this trope without batting an eye.

2, dirt is valuable because it's the only way to grow FOOD. No hydroponics.

3, girl not swimming... yeah, I got nothin'. Maybe too young? No wading pools to learn in safely.
I wanted to say all this :(

The problem with the dirt he has is that it was from the (new) sea floor, it would be saturated with salt and unusable for farming unless it was cleaned and he clearly didnt have the capacity to clean it.

I think its funny that people point at his filter and say "you cant drink pee" when there are currently (and have been for some time) methods to filter waste water, in fact most of the water you drink is filtered waste water. But there are far better ways to make drinkable water given an abundance of sea water and multiple metal vessals to catch the water in. Take a pot fill it with salt water put a smaller pot in the middle as a "collection vessel" put a concave lid with a nub to cause the drips to go into the center collection chamber. Its not super fast but it works and he has nothing but time.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I've always held that Water World is right up there with Starship Troopers as one of my all-time favorite "horrible" movies. Just way too much fun to watch.