Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, since when did Hollywood think it was a good idea to make bad movies on purpose?
Ever since they had the idea for a dump month. Either that, or direct sabotage of a film project. Doesn't matter if it's out of spite, greed, or all the above.

I don't know too many intentionally bad movies myself, but I do know a bunch of intentionally cheesy movies. One of them being Big Trouble in Little China. Don't get me wrong; awesome martial arts and fantasy movie, but there are intentional cheesy moments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ever since they had the idea for a dump month. Either that, or direct sabotage of a film project. Doesn't matter if it's out of spite, greed, or all the above.

I don't know too many intentionally bad movies myself, but I do know a bunch of intentionally cheesy movies. One of the main Big Trouble in Little China. Don't get me wrong awesome martial arts and fantasy movie, but there are intentional cheesy moments.
That was also the '80s when objective quality over entertainment was less an issue. Starship Troopers came out in the late '90s when Hollywood had figured some shit out, and quality movies were being produced, a dragon it's been chasing ever since, much to the chagrin of audiences for their efforts. '80s films will forever get a pass for being fun if entirely ridiculous. After that, shit like Starship Troopers was just an insult to our collective intelligence. I mean, The Matrix was only a couple of years later, wasn't it?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Starship Troopers will forever remain a mystery to me. It's so bad, but so many people run to its defense as a great tongue-in-cheek nod to bad movies. I mean, since when did Hollywood think it was a good idea to make bad movies on purpose? Too much of the film is not self-aware enough to have been done purposefully. I watched it once, and even that was too much. But then we also have Once Upon A Time In Hollywood which shamelessly wasted everyone's time and still got Oscar nods, so maybe my cinematic palette isn't sophisticated enough?
The movie starts with a narration that is voiced so cheesy it couldn't in a million years have been an accident, and then shows the most adorable rosey-cheeked, blond-haired white boy in a military outfit smilling, saying "I'm doing my part, too!" The self-awareness is flung in your face from the first minute.

I'm not going to call it flawlessly self-aware, as it does want to have its cake and eat it at times - Johnny Rico is the most uber mensch looking America man that has ever existed, ready to become part of the military machine, yet the movie still wants us to feel genuinely engaged in his hero's journey - but the attempt at lampooning jingoistic propaganda is very upfront.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That was also the '80s when objective quality over entertainment was less an issue. Starship Troopers came out in the late '90s when Hollywood had figured some shit out, and quality movies were being produced, a dragon it's been chasing ever since, much to the chagrin of audiences for their efforts. '80s films will forever get a pass for being fun if entirely ridiculous. After that, shit like Starship Troopers was just an insult to our collective intelligence. I mean, The Matrix was only a couple of years later, wasn't it?
Starship Troopers came out in 1997. The Matrix came out in 1999. You know what else came out in 1997? Dark City. Great movie, but the top fat cats butchered it with a theatrical cut and spoil the twist at the beginning, with the narration by Kiefer Sutherland. If you ever watch that movie, make sure it's the director's cut. My brother and I got lucky, cuz whenever we saw the movie we were always watching it when it was 10 or 15 minutes in whenever it aired on HBO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
'80s films will forever get a pass for being fun if entirely ridiculous.
There were plenty of good, fun, films in the 90s. Maybe not as much as the 80s, but still plenty. Especially if we're talking the action movie scene. You want fun, intentionally cheesy, film that knows when to get serious? Look up Drive (1997). Make sure you get or watch the Director's Cut. The theatrical cut sucks and is another case of studio meddling for no a reason other than to justify their existence.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You know, "can Character X beat Character Y" is one of the internet's favorite questions, but these past couple years there's been the ever pervasive "Can Saitama beat Y?" Can Saitama beat Goku? Can Saitama beat Superman? And any number of matchups with very powerful characters.

And all those questions are very stupid, because the answer is always yes. Saitama is a gag character and him always winning is any serious fight is part of the joke. He can only lose if its funny that he loses i.e. that scene where he tries to swat a mosquito.

Except maybe if he seriously squared off against Kirby. Cuz Kirby busted.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You know, "can Character X beat Character Y" is one of the internet's favorite questions, but these past couple years there's been the ever pervasive "Can Saitama beat Y?" Can Saitama beat Goku? Can Saitama beat Superman? And any number of matchups with very powerful characters.

And all those questions are very stupid, because the answer is always yes. Saitama is a gag character and him always winning is any serious fight is part of the joke. He can only lose if its funny that he loses i.e. that scene where he tries to swat a mosquito.

So, can Saitama beat Arale Norimaki? Two gag characters face off

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So, can Saitama beat Arale Norimaki? Two gag characters face off
Most likely they wouldn't actually fight, but if they did, gag comedy would ensue, then Saitama remembers a supermarket sale or something and runs off, leaving things unresolved.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Asura can take on Saitama fine. Dude was literally too angry to die.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

He is a gag character, but not just a gag character. He's like Bug Bunny if he grew aware and existential over always getting the best of Elmer Fudd. But while One-Punch Man will probably never reveal why Saitama is the way he is (nor should it), it still plays around with other OP characters' power in a way that it can tease a connection to Saitama. Like with the homeless emperor or Blast.

But yeah, those questions are still stupid. Though they've always been even before One-Punch Man existed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

A few of his hot takes are contained within.
Honestly, his list don't feel much like a hot take. Coming from him, I can see why these movies are his favorites. I am not fan nor care for half the movies on his list, but understandable.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Honestly, his list don't feel much like a hot take. Coming from him, I can see why these movies are his favorites. I am not fan nor care for half the movies on his list, but understandable.
I guess I should clarify that some of his claims felt like hot takes, because I wouldn’t share those opinions. Like, Willis was probably more deadpan in Unbreakable than anything else he’s been in. Being serious doesn’t automatically equate to good acting. I’d take any of the Diehard’s or even something like Four Rooms over that, but it’s mostly down to the nature of the scripts.

Speed was good but even back then it didn’t feel all that thrilling and seemed kinda cheesy. It’s pretty telling of Hollywood when they state it felt like a “brain-dead blockbuster” back then, but now somehow is a “classic of Los Angeles cinema”? Um, ok, no.

Also, I’d still watch any of the John Wick movies over The Matrix, at least in terms of Keanu Reeves’ performances.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess I should clarify that some of his claims felt like hot takes, because I wouldn’t share those opinions. Like, Willis was probably more deadpan in Unbreakable than anything else he’s been in. Being serious doesn’t automatically equate to good acting. I’d take any of the Diehard’s or even something like Four Rooms over that, but it’s mostly down to the nature of the scripts.
Agreed. I always found Unbreakable as alright. Unbreakable I would watch over Die Hard 5. Even Bruce Willis didn't care much for that one.

Speed was good but even back then it didn’t feel all that thrilling and seemed kinda cheesy. It’s pretty telling of Hollywood when they state it felt like a “brain-dead blockbuster” back then, but now somehow is a “classic of Los Angeles cinema”? Um, ok, no.
Hypocrisy, and nostalgia goggles. I never hated Speed and is one of my favorite action/suspense films, but not the best. I never saw it as brain-dead blockbuster. The problem with film critics, and game critics especially, is that they love jumping on the bandwagon. Or agree to something, because some one else loves or hates the thing, so now they have to do the same to get "street cred". Otherwise, they don't look "credible". Movie Bob is the most well known for doing this.

I watch any of the John Wick movies over The Matrix, at least in terms of Keanu Reeves’ performances.
For me, it depends. Reeves get way too much hate or criticism on his acting not being good. He's not perfect, but the man can act. It's a matter of who he is working with and what material he is given. Aside from action, I have less reason to watch the John Wick the further the sequels go. They just keep dragging it, and I have 0 interests in 4 or 5. The only reason I watch JW3 is because of the guys from The Raid and Mark Dacascos (Drive [1997] and Brotherhood of Wolf). Most of the time, I'd rather watch the first Matrix over JW2 or JW3.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
You know, while watching that episode of the Mandalorian that they snuck into the Boba Fett show (and only this episode), the thought occurred to me that the people who made Mandalorian would have been perfect to make a live action Cowboy Bebop, probably from a writing standpoint but most definitely from a technical one. Could you imagine ILM doing this to the Bebop and Swordfish II?

(Also, that ring world in the episode is really something, innit?)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This relates to rant I just mentioned earlier in the Game Articles and Videos Thread. Why do certain YouTubers put their opinion pieces on public and then later put them on private within the same day or week? If you don't want anyone to comment or criticize, why bother with public in the first place? Better yet, if you don't want the public to know at large, than just not even bother making the video and keep your mouth shut. I consider that a cowardly act and lack of faith on both sides for a healthy discussion. And that is if the discussion is healthy to begin with.

Not even combo or skill videos are immune to this. Gaming Sins had an excellent No Death No Damage DMC5 boss fight against Vergil. Only to set the video to private a week later. Why? Everyone enjoyed the video fine, and there were no trolling or negative comments. You weren't afraid of negative criticism before with your Sins videos. Why start now?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Not sure if historical critiques are considered hot takes, but it’s either this or the news thread I suppose -