Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I honestly wouldn't mind an end series for Billy & Mandy where as adults, Mandy manages to chill out and Billy grows brain cells. The misanthropic, I almost always win/I am right Mandy that came in from Season 2 and forward on I never liked, and got annoying by later seasons.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I honestly wouldn't mind an end series for Billy & Mandy where as adults, Mandy manages to chill out and Billy grows brain cells. The misanthropic, I almost always win/I am right Mandy that came in from Season 2 and forward on I never liked, and got annoying by later seasons.
I remember, or perhaps it was a fever dream, a fan comic where she married Grim when she grew up. Like was that real or did I hit my head watching Cartoon Network?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember, or perhaps it was a fever dream, a fan comic where she married Grim when she grew up. Like was that real or did I hit my head watching Cartoon Network?
Grim Tales by Bleedman. Done by the same man who PPG Doujinshi. Cartoon Network had nothing to do with it, but the latter did be an inspiration for their Fusion Fall game.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Grim Tales by Bleedman. Done by the same man who PPG Doujinshi. Cartoon Network had nothing to do with it, but the latter did be an inspiration for their Fusion Fall game.
I didn't mean to imply Cartoon Network were involved, its just it was so long ago I wasn't sure if I was remembering something that actually existed or that thing happened where like four or five different but similar happenings merge into a single on in my head.

But, turns out this time I was remembering right. Wild.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Coincidentally I'd actually typed the word manifesto as last example at the end of sentence, but couldn't think of a more entertaining, visually specific alternative after staring blankly at the screen for 5 minutes so it got cut. 🥂🍻Great minds and all that! 👩‍🔬🍻🥂😉
I already told you I think we're the same person. This feels like a Fight Club scenario, only question is which of us will come to realize the other is the hallucination.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
To each their own, but Cameron and Winston worked miracles on that movie given its dirt cheap budget.
Erm, any particular reason for responding to a comment from 2021? Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just seems odd.

(I'd argue that T1 didn't spawn a franchise. It spawned a big budget sequel, and that spawned a franchise)

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Erm, any particular reason for responding to a comment from 2021? Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just seems odd.

(I'd argue that T1 didn't spawn a franchise. It spawned a big budget sequel, and that spawned a franchise)
I didn’t even notice the date. Thought for sure I’ve been in that thread at least once or twice in the last couple years or so but I think the “last read” got reset or something.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I didn’t even notice the date. Thought for sure I’ve been in that thread at least once or twice in the last couple years or so but I think the “last read” got reset or something.
If you are up to date, it sends you to the first page, and if you are really not up to date, it also sends you to the first page, instead of whatever came immediately after the last thing you looked at.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Not sure what thread would be more appropriate, as the subject expands into all sorts of interesting areas. But is broadly a musing on the Spike Lee film, himself and surrounding political topics. Also couldn't figure what the last word was meant to be till he said it out loud, was staring confused for a while wondering why anyone would take the "I" out of "coin" lol. Perhaps another difference between how racism has been nurtured through the US and UK media ecosystems I suppose.

This video looks at the 2000s Spike Lee film "Bamboozled" and examines what it says about the concept of "co*ning", aka being a black person who explicitly works against the interests of other black people.
How and why do Co*ns do what they do? What should we understand about them in order to address the harm that they do?

00:00 I almost Quit YouTube last year
02:48 A quick look at the career of Spike Lee
10:39 Explaining Bamboozled pt 1
20:22 A quick aside on Black Radicalism
24:26 Explaining Bamboozled pt 2
29:34 What is a Co*n?
44:44 Explaining Bamboozled pt 3 5148 Are we too hard on Co*ns?
59:48 Bamboozled's hidden message

Edited by @NeedlessNick
Featuring @Mannof1000Thoughts , @victorythecreator , and @Readus101 Audio support @ForeignManinaForeignLand

Works cited
Tyler Perry and the Mantan Manifesto: Critical Race Theory and the Permanence of Cinematic Anti-Blackness - https://imixwhatilike.files.wordpress...

In Defense of Uncle Tom Why Blacks Must Police Racial Loyalty by Brandon Starkey - https://www.amazon.com/Defense-Uncle-...

What should Black folk do with the word co*n? - https://andscape.com/features/what-sh...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Luke dying in The Last Jedi adds absolutely nothing to the movie, to the character, and to the overall universe.

First and foremost, we didn't even know using a Force illusion would kill him*. So instead of feeling like Luke was doing something heroic, giving his life to keep the spark alive, all you feel is confused that he is dying now. It doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice either, since Luke wasn't exactly living it up on his hobo island. So the only emotion that you would feel in the moment is caused by your existing attachment to the character, not because of anything in the movie.

Han's death was so effective, even though we all saw it coming, because it completely turns you against Kylo Ren. It's Star Wars, you expect that Kylo can still be redeemed (just like Han). But now that he has killed his own father, and your favorite character of more than 40 years, you either can no longer see that happening or no longer want to see it happen.

What does Luke's death achieve? Besides severely limiting what Mark Hamill can do with the character in the future? Really feels like a) they needed to justify the title of the movie and b) Rian Johnson wanted the street cred for being the guy who killed off Luke Skywalker.

*Supposedly some dialogue from Kylo states that him communicating with Rey through their weird dyad bullshit is dangerous, so that's sort of an explanation of why Luke died. But with Kylo and Rey's chats felt more like a manipulation of space, not merely an illusion, since they could reach out and touch each other. They went to great lengths to show that Luke was merely an illusion that was not interacting with the environment.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Han's death was so effective,
It was? I thought that all the main character deaths in the sequel trilogy were kinda meh. Maybe not Leia, because Carrie Fisher died, but story wise, meh.

Also, I might also challenge Han being our favourite character (by the time he died). When he appeared again in The Force Awakens, he rapidly lost that.

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
Here's my timeline of the alien story following Tiers 1-3 mentioned here:

but with discrepancies resolved. Also, not all works are mentioned because several don't create discrepancies (I think):

The prequels take place.

New media explain how Weyland-Yutani (W-Y) fails to receive or loses all information about the aliens encountered in the prequels. All they know is that there are aliens and ships. They also set up a bio-weapons division and special orders to monetize any finds. Works like David's drawings are discovered only much later.

They detect a signal from LV-426 and think it might be one of the alien craft. When the Nostromo is docked, they have the science officer replaced with Ash and prepare to have the ship investigate the signal.

When Nostromo is closest to LV-426, Mother detects the signal, wakes up the crew, re-routes the ship based on company instructions (and thus overriding any orders from Dallas, the Nostromo captain), and has the signal decoded partially what little info the company got from the events in the prequels. It's not a distress signal but a warning.

The first movie takes place.

Create new media explaining how W-Y fails to receive or loses all information from Mother, including the coordinates that give the location of the signal.

In the Isolation game, one ship recovers the Nostromo flight recorder and visits the derelict ship. They deactivate the beacon, The rest of the game follows.

Create new media explaining how W-Y loses all information about what happened in the game such that they have to wait to get the coordinates from Ripley's lifeboat flight recorder.

Ripley is rescued by a ship working with others and doing mining on a rock, where they encounter aliens as well. Ripley's memory of the encounter is wiped off, and she is left in cryo-sleep and drifting in space once more.

Create new media explaining how W-Y fails to receive or loses all information about what happened to Ripley in that adventure.

Media explaining what happened to the colony and the second movie takes place. Create new media explaining how W-Y removes the coordinates from the flight recorder to explain why the board does not want to heed Ripley's request and investigate the Nostromo landing site.

Create new media explaining why W-Y sent only one squad of Marines and a warship with no captain and crew. It can point out that the company believed that only two aliens were involved, which is why it sent only one squad. Also, W-Y and certain military officials were colluding and working covertly against the ICC and ECA, which is why it sent a ship that was about to be decommissioned on automatic pilot, and a Marine squad that was supposed to be demobilized.

The rest of the second movie follows.

Create new media showing how the colony is destroyed but the derelict ship is not damaged. Various ships revisit it following the W-Y Report and ACM Manual, but those and the derelict ship are destroyed by volcanic activity caused by the explosion from the colony. This explains why, without anything from the derelict ship, W-Y needs to get the alien and embryo from the prison.

The third movie follows.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
After enjoying the first 2 films of Jonathan Glazer - 'Sexy Beast' and 'Under The Skin' - . was compelled to see if he'd made anything else since. And you know what, he did! Wondering why I'd not heard ppl speak of this 3rd film, went a looking at the synopsis blurb for further context. 2004's 'Birth' ....

K, not a bad start. Just scrolling a teeny bit further down.

The film follows Anna, who becomes convinced that her dead husband Sean...
These eyes are Glazering over, there'd better be an interesting spin.

Go on.

as a ten-year-old boy.

Oh.

Well that answers that question then.

Wait, is this where that meme of Kidman snogging a child came from?!?

Ain't tainting my google search history to find that out myself though.

Did actually try to watch the film, but gave up not long in once I realised I just didn't care for either potential outcome of the ghost dad/boy mystery, as they'd still be dumb and is already boring as it is.

*sigh*

At least it wasn't his last work, read today his new film 'The Zone of Interest' is about Nazi commander Rudolph Hoss trying to set up a cosy wholesome family home right next to Auschwitz. Am relieved to see he's strategically playing it safe and steering completely away from yet more potential controversies.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I was doing a bit of reading on the movie "Prisoners" - Dune director Denis Villeneuve's first English language movie as I understand it - about how its meant to be a sort of deconstruction of movies like Taken from around the same era. Now from what I understand, the movie is a hell of a thriller that will have a vice like grip on your heart and your arsehole at different times; recommended go watch.

However, I don't buy the alleged deconstructive aspect. A movie is all about believability in the moment. Now sure, Hugh Jackman makes an utter fucking fiasco of his attempt at vigilante heroism: but that's because he's a fucking carpenter and on the verge of a complete breakdown and a man who until this point lived a very normal existence with no capacity for instinctual violence. Conversely, Liam Neeson's character in Taken is a former military/intelligence field operative who has the experience, the training, the knowledge, the attitude and the contacts in friendly countries to make his feats against the villains while still highly improbable, justifiable given his CV. I feel like if they wanted to sort of take it apart that way, the needed a closer mirror to Taken (or Man on Fire) to make the point work.

Luckily Villeneuve and team still made a very, very respectable movie out of it with some powerhouse performances.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
After enjoying the first 2 films of Jonathan Glazer - 'Sexy Beast' and 'Under The Skin' - . was compelled to see if he'd made anything else since. And you know what, he did! Wondering why I'd not heard ppl speak of this 3rd film, went a looking at the synopsis blurb for further context. 2004's 'Birth' ....

K, not a bad start. Just scrolling a teeny bit further down.

These eyes are Glazering over, there'd better be an interesting spin.

Go on.

Oh.

Well that answers that question then.

Wait, is this where that meme of Kidman snogging a child came from?!?

Ain't tainting my google search history to find that out myself though.

Did actually try to watch the film, but gave up not long in once I realised I just didn't care for either potential outcome of the ghost dad/boy mystery, as they'd still be dumb and is already boring as it is.

*sigh*

At least it wasn't his last work, read today his new film 'The Zone of Interest' is about Nazi commander Rudolph Hoss trying to set up a cosy wholesome family home right next to Auschwitz. Am relieved to see he's strategically playing it safe and steering completely away from yet more potential controversies.
Curiously mild if this was meant for the “last thing you watched” thread?

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Luke dying in The Last Jedi adds absolutely nothing to the movie, to the character, and to the overall universe.

First and foremost, we didn't even know using a Force illusion would kill him*. So instead of feeling like Luke was doing something heroic, giving his life to keep the spark alive, all you feel is confused that he is dying now. It doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice either, since Luke wasn't exactly living it up on his hobo island. So the only emotion that you would feel in the moment is caused by your existing attachment to the character, not because of anything in the movie.

Han's death was so effective, even though we all saw it coming, because it completely turns you against Kylo Ren. It's Star Wars, you expect that Kylo can still be redeemed (just like Han). But now that he has killed his own father, and your favorite character of more than 40 years, you either can no longer see that happening or no longer want to see it happen.

What does Luke's death achieve? Besides severely limiting what Mark Hamill can do with the character in the future? Really feels like a) they needed to justify the title of the movie and b) Rian Johnson wanted the street cred for being the guy who killed off Luke Skywalker.
Counter argument: Luke's death achieved "Luke will not solve the problem and it will be up to the new characters"

Reactions: Mister Mumbler