Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are the equivalent of the Star Wars prequels.

They are incredibly important to a lot of people's childhoods, and thus they are intensely nostalgic... but they aren't actually any good.

Not even Spider-Man 2.

In fact, I would probably go as far as to say that they are all collectlvely the worst live-action Spider-Man movies.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I take it you don't know a lot about Plauge Of Gripes?
That guy is interesting. I've listened to some of his podcasts(mostly where he's drawing stuff while rambling) and despite his creepy nature in many of his cartoons he does come across as an interesting and very articulate person comes across as....humble...I guess. LIke he's occasionally mentioned he has a patreon but then pretty much goes "Well, you can throw some money if you want to" despite that apparently being one of his few sources of income besides doing commissions and how what he really wants out of life is basically to have enough money to live.

And yeah, i know that applies to many many people in the world but it also doesn't come across as trying to elicit sympathy and I doubt his viewer base is enough for it to matter even if it were.

Maybe I'm wrong and there's a shitty side I haven't seen but what comes across in the podcasts seems a lot different then the guy who draws sexy furries and apparently likes to talk about cannibale horses unsolicted on SBFP.

Then again, I'm also the fucking wierdo who listened to his entire 60 hour LP of Dark Souls where he pored over ever fucking inch of the game to talk about whatever struck him at the moment so I might have just gone completely insane as a result and am not to be trusted on the subject.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That guy is interesting. I've listened to some of his podcasts(mostly where he's drawing stuff while rambling) and despite his creepy nature in many of his cartoons he does come across as an interesting and very articulate person comes across as....humble...I guess. LIke he's occasionally mentioned he has a patreon but then pretty much goes "Well, you can throw some money if you want to" despite that apparently being one of his few sources of income besides doing commissions and how what he really wants out of life is basically to have enough money to live.

And yeah, i know that applies to many many people in the world but it also doesn't come across as trying to elicit sympathy and I doubt his viewer base is enough for it to matter even if it were.

Maybe I'm wrong and there's a shitty side I haven't seen but what comes across in the podcasts seems a lot different then the guy who draws sexy furries and apparently likes to talk about cannibale horses unsolicted on SBFP.

Then again, I'm also the fucking wierdo who listened to his entire 60 hour LP of Dark Souls where he pored over ever fucking inch of the game to talk about whatever struck him at the moment so I might have just gone completely insane as a result and am not to be trusted on the subject.
I usually don't judge too much on drawing furry/non-furry fan art of kids cartoons or whatever. The only reason I heard of Plauge was because of Matt and Pat playfully ripping on him. Out of curiosity, I checked him out, and he clicked. Simple as that. I have not seen all of his videos, but he does fine when commentating and I find him relaxing when needed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In fact, I would probably go as far as to say that they are all collectlvely the worst live-action Spider-Man movies.
Nah, I'd still say that goes to The Amazing Spider-Man 2. At least each Sam Raimi film told a complete story, despite whatever flaws the original trilogy had. I will say that Spider Man 2 drags too long when Peter loses his powers, and it only gets worse if you're watching version 2.1. Whoever said 2.1 is better than the theatrical needs to be pimp slapped in the face. Also, they turned Mary Jane in to a whiny biatch for 2 and 3. I will say Gwen Stacy is a better love interest for The Amazing Spider-Man movies.

The Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are the equivalent of the Star Wars prequels.
That's way too harsh. I would gladly watch nearly the whole Spider-Man Trilogy over the SW Prequel Trilogy. The only thing is that I would happily take is Revenge of the Sith over Spider-Man 3 nearly any day of the week.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, only saw the first of the MCU Spidermans, and I think that was worse, even more painfully unfunny than Spiderman 3, too much blather about cool toys that weren't impressive and he's blamed for not respecting the absurdly incompetent.

Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 were teen romantic comedies with some superhero stuff added in, IMHO, which is why they worked. Superhero films work best when they are only partially superhero films.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Whoever said 2.1 was better than the theatrical needs to be pimp slapped in the face.
Director's cuts/extended editions are VASTLY overrated. I can only think of maybe three where the extended edition is better than the theatrical one; The Fellowship of the Ring, The Shinning, and Conan the Barbarian. There, that's my hot take (though maybe I already made it, it's been a while since I been here).

Here's another one; The superhero genre is inherently silly, and any attempt to try and meaningfully apply it to the real world or the gravity of real world events is impossible and stupid.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Director's cuts/extended editions are VASTLY overrated. I can only think of maybe three where the extended edition is better than the theatrical one; The Fellowship of the Ring, The Shinning, and Conan the Barbarian. There, that's my hot take (though maybe I already made it, it's been a while since I been here).
Adding Drive (1997) and Dark City. The theatrical cuts butchered both movies; especially the latter. Another case of producers meddling where they do not belong!

Yes, and by extension, Adam West was the best Batman.
Well, I'd still give that to the animated series, but Adam West is certainly one of the most important Batmen, and the world is a better place for that legacy to have survived the 80's and 90's.
Honestly, the only people who hate Adam West are insecure dick-heads or jack asses that only "care" about Batman for the shallowest reasons.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 were teen romantic comedies with some superhero stuff added in, IMHO, which is why they worked. Superhero films work best when they are only partially superhero films.
Amazing 1 is decent, and Amazing 2's main problem and flaw is the five different plot-lines it was juggling. The romance worked, but everything else got fucked because Sony couldn't keep their "cinematic universe franchise" boner in their pants and started dicking everyone in the ear. When no one asked for nor wanted do so. Amazing 2 is such a mess that not even a lot of the actors like it, or only liked the parts that worked.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I found out in Split and Glass, David Dunn's 'superhero' name ended up being The Overseer. And honestly, I much preferred when it was implied his name was going to be Unbreakable. It just makes so much more sense in my head.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Korey was a pretty big defender of Spider-Man 3 back then, and still is now. He's still acknowledges its flaws, but he considers it a good end to a trilogy. I do admit that it has better pacing than the second movie, but 3 has the flaw of having too many villains and subplots waiting in line. Half of it being Sony's fault of course. I also didn't like the retcon of Uncle Ben's death. I get using revenge as a theme, but it felt forced and unnecessary. At least it had an end goal and tried to wrap up everything.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Korey was a pretty big defender of Spider-Man 3 back then, and still is now. He's still acknowledges its flaws, but he considers it a good end to a trilogy. I do admit that it has better pacing than the second movie, but it had the flaq of having too many villains and subplots waiting in line. Half of it being Sony's fault of course. I also didn't like the retcon and Uncle Ben's death. I get using revenge as a theme, but it felt forced and unnecessary. At least it had an end goal and try to wrap up everything.

Spider-Man 3's only redeeming quality is that you don't have to watch it more than once to see how bad it is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Spider-Man 3's only redeeming quality is that you don't have to watch it more than once to see how bad it is.
I've only seen 3 twice in my entire life. Once in theaters, and a second time at a college dorm. I tried to give it another chance with the second time, but there was too much wrong.

I still say Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the worst live action Spidey movie, but Spider-Man 3 is a close second between the two. The Tom Holland movies are just okay, and I have never felt the need to watch them on repeat viewings. Spider-Verse is still the best of the Spider-Man movies and the sequels are only going to take that to further heights.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's incredible: I feel the need to mock literally every side of this situation

Why does this asshole on Twitter even care? He's not living in China, and he's already got the uncensored version. Biatch has nothing to complain about. Dude must be bored and having no action in his life to be this desperate.