Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Summer Wars I've always found just average. The animation is good, but the story and characters are just kind of whatever. It's literally just Digimon, but slightly different. The movie got way over praised.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't care, nor watch for every single anime out there either, but I'm not going to be a jackass about it. Not every anime is for everyone, and at some point you will have seen everything or most things, but if your metric is to compare every modern anime to Cowboy Bebop, then you're just an old douche that loves the smell of their own farts and have unrealistic expectations. I love Cowboy Bebop, but I'm not going to compare everything to it. I only watch what interests me.

As one of the comments in the comments section of the video pointed out, nicely and eloquently:
Once you seen enough anime, it does not excite people anymore, that's why most anime's are loved by kids and teens until they get older and seen enough...does not mean anime is bad, its just we seen enough.
Not all modern anime is bad. You're just not interested in most of it, or have seen it before already. Not every person that likes newer anime is some 12-year-old boy or girl. There are plenty people your age, my age, or older that enjoy the newer stuff. But YoVideoGames crew needs to stop talking about anime. Cuz they bring it up when nobody asked several times. This will probably last time I bring up one of these rants, cuz I'm not going to give it any more attention than it's due.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If modern William Shatner was a character in Star Trek: The Original Series, Kirk would punch him in the face and make a speech about how he should change his ways.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think television overall would be better off if Breaking Bad had flopped in its first season because as far as I'm concerned that show was fucking poison.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think television overall would be better off if Breaking Bad had flopped in its first season because as far as I'm concerned that show was fucking poison.
I still remember seeing the preview for it and thinking regardless of how good or bad it was that people weren't going to give it a shot because they'd shrug it off as something dumb and goofy because of the scenes of the MC in his tighty whiteys running from an exploding mobile home.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of the two Die Hard, But In The White House movies, I still say White House Down is better. Between these two, it's all boils down to personal tastes though. I will say OHF leans in on the hard R-Rating and has better action because of it. The action is nothing new, but it's between decent and good, and doesn't do the whole shaky cam thing. WHD is PG-13, and it harms some of the action scenes. They're not bad either, but I wouldn't mind if this was at least a little harder PG-13, or just regular R. Also, a lot of the special effects in WHD look between ok & crap, or has some very obvious CGI. OHF's other problem is that it takes itself too seriously. I don't find it that big of a deal breaker, but of something to note. Both are still better Die Hard movies, than the 5th movie

London Has Fallen on the other hand, can get fucked. It is straight up anti-Muslim and Arab propaganda. It is tailor-made for right wing nuts and Trump supporters. It's a movie from 2014 that still acts like it's between 2001 and 2008 again. There's some decent action, but you can tell that the movie was on a lower budget and it shows. Also, it's "one take" action scene, it's just okay. It's nothing you haven't seen before, but you can tell they cut some corners and cheated to make it look like one take. The only good thing out of it, is that they got Captain Price to be in the movie. Otherwise, it's not worth the 90 minutes to waste.

I still have not seen Angel Has Fallen yet. I heard it's better than the second movie, but I honestly have almost little to no interest. The only good thing about it, is Nick Nolte is in AHF. I'll probably watch it just for him when he shows up.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
London Has Fallen on the other hand, can get fucked. It is straight up anti-Muslim and Arab propaganda. It is tailor-made for right wing nuts and Trump supporters.
The first one wasn't targeting Muslims/Arabs, but was still pretty blatant chest-beating US propaganda for GOP types, IIRC. And it didn't even have the charm of turning into a buddy cop action movie with no-Obama and a security guard, which, fair enough.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The first one wasn't targeting Muslims/Arabs, but was still pretty blatant chest-beating US propaganda for GOP types, IIRC. And it didn't even have the charm of turning into a buddy cop action movie with no-Obama and a security guard, which, fair enough.
That too. At least with the first movie, you could kind of ignore it. At least I was able to do so. I figured the reason why they went for PMCs in the third movie, was because going after another ethnic target would cause issues, so they went with the safest and easiest bet. America's number one hate figure: other Americans!

Reactions: Thaluikhain

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Seconded, mostly because I shared this opinion until I really started watching it -
I still remember seeing the preview for it and thinking regardless of how good or bad it was that people weren't going to give it a shot because they'd shrug it off as something dumb and goofy because of the scenes of the MC in his tighty whiteys running from an exploding mobile home.

Regardless of how one feels about the subject matter, it made the journey and repercussions of a desperate -and desperately flawed - teacher’s transformation into a drug lord thoroughly engaging, while managing to end on an incredible high (no pun). Few outstanding shows have proven to equal its consistency, and IMHO the same can be said for Better Call Saul.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Of the two Die Hard, But In The White House movies, I still say White House Down is better. Between these two, it's all boils down to personal tastes though. I will say OHF leans in on the hard R-Rating and has better action because of it. The action is nothing new, but it's between decent and good, and doesn't do the whole shaky cam thing. WHD is PG-13, and it harms some of the action scenes. They're not bad either, but I wouldn't mind if this was at least a little harder PG-13, or just regular R. Also, a lot of the special effects in WHD look between ok & crap, or has some very obvious CGI. OHF's other problem is that it takes itself too seriously. I don't find it that big of a deal breaker, but of something to note. Both are still better Die Hard movies, than the 5th movie

London Has Fallen on the other hand, can get fucked. It is straight up anti-Muslim and Arab propaganda. It is tailor-made for right wing nuts and Trump supporters. It's a movie from 2014 that still acts like it's between 2001 and 2008 again. There's some decent action, but you can tell that the movie was on a lower budget and it shows. Also, it's "one take" action scene, it's just okay. It's nothing you haven't seen before, but you can tell they cut some corners and cheated to make it look like one take. The only good thing out of it, is that they got Captain Price to be in the movie. Otherwise, it's not worth the 90 minutes to waste.

I still have not seen Angel Has Fallen yet. I heard it's better than the second movie, but I honestly have almost little to no interest. The only good thing about it, is Nick Nolte is in AHF. I'll probably watch it just for him when he shows up.
London has Fallen irritates me because the movie seems to assume Great Britain would allow heads of state and/or government to go unprotected aside from whatever security they bring with them and that London would totally not be drowning in armed police, security services teams and military counter-terrorism units during such an event.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't know about the rest of the film, but the first few minutes of Thor: Ragnarok are unbearably bad (which is the reason I don't know about the rest of the movie)

Got to the bit where the guy says he got these guns from Tex-Ass and calls them Des and Roy, because...and hell with this. Captain Marvel was pretty bad, but I could sit through it.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not sure if this is a hot take but it's interesting and I've got no better section to post it.

I see where Matt Damon is coming from, but I do feel the "they don't make them like they used to anymore" gets thrown out so much. I don't constantly agree with streaming services either, nor believe they are the be all to end all. Considering when something does well on streaming, theater, and later comes to DVD/Blu-Ray, not much has change. Now the type of film Matt Damon is talking about, you can still find in the niche and indie circuit, or straight-to-home video. Hell, from what he described in the clip, that type of story concept you can find in any TV show, or TV show streamed exclusively on Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.

Streaming services are a blight on media
It helps in my case that I only watch what interests me, and not trying to constantly follow the hype-train, fad, nor watching every show to be part of every conversation.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Cold take. The Beverly Hillbillies should have moved back to where they came from, everybody would have been much happier. It's clear they don't like living in Beverly Hills, and they try to move back several times but Mr. Drysdale stops them every time so they don't take their money out of his bank. But here's a revolutionary idea: Move back to the hills, but leave the money in his bank. Everybody's happy! The Drysdales don't have to put up with hillbilly neighbors, the hillbillies can hunt and eat grits and possum and do whatever else they are missing, Drysdale can send them money for improving their land or the town or whatever else they want to do, and you could probably even write some fresh jokes in the new setting instead of reusing the old ones for the hundredth time.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
In regards to a recent and very publicized hot take -

I guess that makes sense. Basically to each their own, so no harm nor foul here.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In regards to a recent and very publicized hot take -

I guess that makes sense. Basically to each their own, so no harm nor foul here.
Counterpoints:

I am not watching the video. Honestly, the only reason Scorsese is seen as "right" at this moment, because certain people have an axe to grind against Disney/Marvel to begin with, or blind fans who kept sucking D&M's genital's are finally starting to realize their corporation ain't infallible. I've said it a million times before, and it still applies now: I am not giving up on Marvel entirely, but I only watch what interests me. Plus, Scorsese backpedaled hard about his statement, so the damage was already done. The advantage of these Marvel movies it allows representations of minorities and women in powerful they normally would not get, or reduced to bit roles/stereotypes. These movies show that we belong in Hollywood like anyone else. That were not just victims or monsters! Scorsese and Coppola can biatch all they want, but it boils down to both of them not being big in the spotlight anymore. You had your success, let the next generation have theirs, and stop fucking budding in like your experts. While neither you are under obligation, none of your movies portrayed blacks or minorities in a positive light, or saw/used them as on-screen/off-screen victims. This is the last time I am talking about this, because nothing new is being shared here.