Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The reason I support this endevour, is because Babylon 5 underwent extensive under the hood (and very well disguised) rewrites and changes due to the loss of actors and many other factors. I would be very interested to see a version of the show as originally envisaged by JMS. Like the two would be significantly different enough to justify each other's existence.

Honestly my biggest wonder would be who to cast as Jeffrey Sinclair, because despite some of his shortcomings as a television actor, Michael O'Hare - currently exploring beyond the Rim - left a massive impression even though he only had a single season.
Fair point.
SPOILER TALK in case anyone hasn't seen B5 and wants to even the show is literally 25 years old...

I wonder if any remake would go back to just having the one commander. Boxleitner was brought on because of O'Hare's problems, leading to an obviously unplanned change of leading man after the 1 season. JMS has claimed adamantly that while unplanned, it benefitted the story because of the different personalities. He claimed that Sheridan was always going to be the one to fight the Shadow War or the earth civial war or something, even had Sinclair stayed to run B5 or something like that. Likely his time loop to become Valen would have come at the end of the show.

But I find some of that hard to believe. JSM argues that if you have one guy doing all that: running and defending the station, fighting the Shadows, expelling the first ones, saving Earth from fascism, defeating the Drakh, and then going back to become Valen and fighting a whole other past Shadow war, that would be unbelievable. And maybe so. But that's kind of how TV shows work- you have heroes that accomplish a series of insanely impossible awesome things.

So I'd be curious about how a remake would work. I agree it could potentially be good- theoretically. I just would guess that a different showrunner should do it. Kind of like how George RR Martin was the consultant to the TV show based on his books but he didn't run it- these projects seem to benefit from having some distribution of duties. JMS pretty much wrote the bulk of the original show himself- I just don't think one person can do that again and not repeat some of the same mistakes or update the writing to fit today. JMS, like Sinclair, can't be expected to do everything.

Yeah.. I'd love to see like a new hungry talented team take a show "bible" that JMS put together and run with it. With some good budget of course, and stick to the 5 season structure, maybe with less episodes to avoid some of the fluff. But that's just too many ifs and buts and that'll never happen, so that's why I'd rather just not have a remake than a shitty one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Real talk: I definitely don't find Honest Trailers or their spin-off Honest Game Trailers interesting anymore. They seem to just phone it in nowadays. I've had my problems with them before, but now I can't even bother to deal with them.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I think I'm skipping Saw X. I just see no compelling reason for this films existence. I like horror films, but the Saw movies have lacked any substance since the second film. This just being a prequel is not selling me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think I'm skipping Saw X. I just see no compelling reason for this films existence. I like horror films, but the Saw movies have lacked any substance since the second film. This just being a prequel is not selling me.
Same. My older brother claims there is substance, but as much as I love him, I doubt that. Which is weird, because he got tired of the Saw franchise because it got too depressing. Why he got excited for this one now is beyond me. I think he did see Spiral too, if I remember correctly.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Real talk: I definitely don't find Honest Trailers or their spin-off Honest Game Trailers interesting anymore. They seem to just phone it in nowadays. I've had my problems with them before, but now I can't even bother to deal with them.
Honest Trailers changed owners a few years ago and there's a lot of corporation sponsorship now so they had to tone down their negativity and so you can visibly watch a trend over the last couple years where their jokes are becoming all inoffensive soft balls. Every once in a while one will pop up in my feed and I'll watch it because the movie was pretty ridicule worthy, but I can't muster a chuckle anymore. Honest Trailers is a zero sugar pancake.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Same. My older brother claims there is substance, but as much as I love him, I doubt that. Which is weird, because he got tired of the Saw franchise because it got too depressing. Why he got excited for this one now is beyond me. I think he did see Spiral too, if I remember correctly.
I skipped Spiral, the reviews were terrible and I only got so many years left on earth to watch bad movies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honest Trailers changed owners a few years ago and there's a lot of corporation sponsorship now so they had to tone down their negativity and so you can visibly watch a trend over the last couple years where their jokes are becoming all inoffensive soft balls. Every once in a while one will pop up in my feed and I'll watch it because the movie was pretty ridicule worthy, but I can't muster a chuckle anymore. Honest Trailers is a zero sugar pancake.
Part of that is their own fault and karma catching up to them. Ironic that they became the thing they mocked or were against. What made me dislike Honest Trailers later, even before being bought out by different owner, was them going way out of their way to insult their target audience or fans of a game or movie. Or making crap up or lying about things in a game or movie. Or just play not doing a research and not caring. That's kind of what made me stop watching them around 2017ish. Their Man of Steel video is still my most hated video and I'll never ever watch that one again. Calling fans psychopaths was not funny. Just because you're a fan of the movie, does not make you a psychopath. I hadn't forgotten that they're one of the many loud critics going overboard on their hatred of the movie. Like many, they jumped the bandwagon too.

I skipped Spiral, the reviews were terrible and I only got so many years left on earth to watch bad movies.
Same. On occasion I'll check out a bad movie that's entertaining or I'm familiar with, but I don't have time for that crap anymore. Even before I got to my 30s. I want my entertainment to be at least decent.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
W.I.T.C.H. deserved to last longer than Winx Club.
I wasn't fan of either, but the former looked way more interesting and unique. Winx Club looked like a worse Sailor Moon. Then again, 4kids was in charge of the dub, so I don't know how much they changed or altered.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
down the rabbit hole, but like 5 bloody hours and about eve onlne, some ones gotta want this fckin bullshit. could do with the matrix style download version straight to the cortex but may work as audio only podcast background for when needed

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Can’t argue with this -

@falcon0481
3 days ago
Here's what I want to know. How much of what was analyzed did Carpenter actually consider when making the film? I am an illustrator and sometimes people attempt to analyze my work and present these in-depth explanations for what the art represents. The truth is, I was bored or it was just a doodle, etc. I was not actively making art to make any point. So the idea is, we see the scenes and deduce from them what we believe to be symbolism. However, it could just as well have been a simple matter of, "we just need to get the shot in and move the story along." Are we reading too much into it....or...is the analysis more indicative of, "this is why we enjoy it, not how or why it was made."

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Down the Rabbit Hole, but like 5 bloody hours and about Eve Onlne, someone's gotta want this fckin bullshit. Could do with the Matrix-style download version straight to the cortex but may work as audio only podcast background for when needed.
I've seen DtRH videos before and know they're serious documentaries (sometimes) about weirdos on the Internet and will watch this tomorrow. I want so badly for this one to read like an epic sci-fi war novel but with honest descriptions of how every daring space-pilot has a stupid gibberish name and their cockpit is actually a nerdy bedroom.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Down the Rabbit Hole, but like 5 bloody hours and about Eve Online, someone's gotta want this fuckin' bullshit. Could do with the Matrix-style download version straight to the cortex but may work as audio only podcast background for when needed.
Should have said this earlier, but "Audio-only podcast in the background" is 99% of my usage of YouTube. And at 1.5 speed, of course.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@CriticalGaming, here's a take I know you'll disagree with. I'm at the largest Spawn fan, but Martin could tone it down a bit. The HBO animated series wasn't perfect, but it was definitely on to something. Just sucked that it never got finished.

I never saw either of those shows so i have no take on the matter. I can agree that animation made in the West is generally not taken seriously enough to take on things like drama with any seriousness though. Though there have been somethings that I think did okay, like The Killing Joke batman thing they did.

But Japan continues to shit on Western media and prove that animated or not you can tell serious stories about anything and everything so long as you don't hold back. I think media companies in the West right now are far too worried about offending somebody than they are on making interesting and good products, and until that fear is overcome, Western products wont be worth a damn.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
But Japan continues to shit on Western media and prove that animated or not you can tell serious stories about anything and everything so long as you don't hold back. I think media companies in the West right now are far too worried about offending somebody than they are on making interesting and good products, and until that fear is overcome, Western products wont be worth a damn.
Dunno if it's specifically about not offending people, but yeah, playing it safe, following the leader, making the same old stuff everyone else is...that sort of stagnation is always an issue.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
never saw either of those shows so i have no take on the matter. I can agree that animation made in the West is generally not taken seriously enough to take on things like drama with any seriousness though. Though there have been somethings that I think did okay, like The Killing Joke batman thing they did.
Actually no. A lot of people don't like The Killing Joke animation movie. Many felt it was too rushed. A bad example of adult Western animation.

Not quite true. I don't know where you've been looking at, but Western animation has gotten way better when it comes to adult material in their shows. It's not just acting like South Park for the sake of it. Nor being as crude as possible. While anime has its up and downs, there's still a lot of modern anime that either are too homogenized or play things too safe as well. The only difference is that they look more unfiltered compared to Western animation, but that's not always a good thing. Also, we another new hotness when it comes to certain shows at the moment. I know Attack on Titan is just ending, but I never liked it. Most of the easy guy anime out there has no interest for me. Then again, I only watch what I find interesting. If I don't like it, or if it's just another overhype cliche, or just bad, then I won't be interested. Pluto just came out, and that anime craps all over most of stuff that came out this year. Japanese or not. What helps is that it's put behind the same team that did Monster, another great manga series with excellent storytelling and character development. Also done by the same author. Now that is an adaption of an older anime, but it still counts because it wasn't thought possible that it would ever get an adaption.

Western animation has always been able to handle adult material fine; especially when it comes to kids shows ironically enough. As long as you don't be insecure if she audiences like dumbasses, you'll come off all the more mature for it. It's why Batman the animated Series and Avatar Last Airbender still hold up so well. Those are shows you can watch as a kid, teen, or an adult.

We have shows like Invincible, both of the Netflix Castlevania series, Blue-eye Samurai, the Harley Quinn show, Primal, Voxmania and some upcoming stuff coming out later near the end of this year or next year. Adult animation has come a long way. I'm just glad not to see a whole bunch of South Park clones anymore. We have a few Rick and Morty clones, but they're fading fast thankfully.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dunno if it's specifically about not offending people, but yeah, playing it safe, following the leader, making the same old stuff everyone else is...that sort of stagnation is always an issue.
I have no idea what is going on about that either. I swear he never looks. And the best part is that he doesn't even have to look that hard. Especially on Netflix. This is a kid show example, but I'm going to bust out Cuphead. While it is geared towards kids, the show is not afraid to get dark, and be mature about it, nor have issues showing or implying darker implications. There are times where the show will downright get intentionally ugly but never mean spirited. The show is not afraid to scare its kids and the adult audience also likely watching. Last I checked nobody was overly offended by Cuphead, the Castlevania TV series, nor most of the animation output, adult or not, on Netflix. The same applies to Max as well, but they lost a lot of it their good shows. Last I checked, I didn't hear any parents complaining about Invincible and all the other mature animated shows on the streaming service. Maybe some minor disappointment, the ending not living up to his true potential, or show ending on a sequel hook and getting canceled, but nothing about being "offensive".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never saw either of those shows so i have no take on the matter.
I'm surprised you never saw Spawn The Animated Series. As big a fan as you are? Shoot, you can have the chance to watch that on HBO Max. I don't know if you have HBO max, or I don't know if the show is still up there. If it is, give it a go. It's only three seasons. You not watching Invincible I get and understand, but I'm surprised you never touched Spawn. I saw Spawn at a time I wasn't supposed to. The same with my older brother as well, but we didn't care.

Last edited: