Movies that you are told are bad, that you consider good.

Supah

Oct 22, 2011
Paranormal activity 1-2

circumstances stopped me from seeing 3 in theaters T_T

St.Augustine6

Nov 15, 2011
I hear from pretty much everybody that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a bad movie, however, I found it to be quite good.

Two things, first, this may have a lot to do with Sean Connery, who in my opinion, can pretty much do no wrong.

The second is that I have never read the graphic novel, and perhaps those people who have get ticked off about some change or other, I don't know.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Event Horizon. Love that film - Some of my mates hate it.

Dead Or Alive - Pretty good adaptation. Actually saw that before I ever played DOA.. I recognised the characters from the Movie so that can't be so bad. Yeah. the plot was pants but it was good fun.

TingaWinga

Aug 17, 2010
Evolution! I love the film but so many people moan about how rubbish it is. Yes its not accurate and its almost no logic is what they use to kill the aliens but hey its a film. You don't moan when James Bond gets shot at for 10mins and doesn't get hit once.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Sucker Punch, It's like my favourite film now after fight club.

The story was really resonant with me as I tended to use escapism to get away from bad situations and people (hell the two villains almost mirror my own) throughout my life.

werty10089 said:
Perhaps few of you may recognize this after so many years... <font color=red> 1408
- I've been told for years now that I'm despicable for liking what is acclaimed to be one of the worst Stephen King film-adaptations known to date. In it's defence, I can admire how it touches base with Dante's Inferno and how delusive it is in playing with the concepts of suffering and fear. On a physiological level, it's brilliant. On a level of fitting the horror genre, it's not so. I find myself respecting the former above the latter.
I liked that film. I thought it was very different and almost tragic in places. Mind you I've always liked Stephen King's stuff.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Speed Racer for sure. My friend pointed out every flaw with it, and honestly, I agree with every single one of them. But for some reason I can't help but enjoy watching it. It's fast, it's interesting, the effects are really cool, the music is great, and I just love it ^.^ I even have the whole series on DVD :3

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
St.Augustine6 said:
I hear from pretty much everybody that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a bad movie, however, I found it to be quite good.

Two things, first, this may have a lot to do with Sean Connery, who in my opinion, can pretty much do no wrong.

The second is that I have never read the graphic novel, and perhaps those people who have get ticked off about some change or other, I don't know.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yeah, I like that movie too. And for the same reasons as you said.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
I actually thought Howard the Duck was OK back in the day. If only to stare at Lea Thompson.

Don't know how it would hold up if I saw it again today.

mikeli4194

Jan 10, 2010
Almost all of my friends say they thought "Unstoppable" sucked. I thought it was one of the best action movies I've ever seen

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
I absolutely loved The Spirit. No one can convince me it was a bad movie.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Everyone sees Tron Legacy as a movie about some people trapped in a virtual world and trying to escape/keep the villain from escaping. That may be true, but what it really is is a story of God having been forced into hiding by Satan. Forced to watch his creation fall to corruption as he himself remains in exile, guarding the miracle of science, least it be destroyed. Finally, salvation comes in the form of his son, who helps him save the miracle of science.
It's this whole big biblical science sci-fi mishmash....with the best soundtrack ever....

Everyone views Cloverfield as just another monster movie, except with a shaky camera. That's really not it. It's a movie about a guy willing to go through a nightmarish hell to save the girl he loves, and his group of friends who are willing to help him through it. The shaky camera first person thing just makes it all more personal.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Hook
Green Lantern
Star Wars Episode One
Aliens Vs Predator Requiem
Street Fighter The Movie
Friday The 13th (Newest reboot)

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
antidonkey said:
The one that comes to mind immediately is Waterworld. Seems like damn near everyone hated that movie but I enjoyed it. Not sure why but I did. People still give me grief over it however, I don't really care.
Funny, I actually liked this movie too. I also didn't hate the Postman, I thought it was an intriguing idea, though a little drawn out.

As far as movies my friends hated that I liked.. hmmm.. I liked Immortals and two of my friends said it was utter crap. I found it entertaining. Oh and Game of Shadows recently.. that was good stuff.

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
Death Race. It's generally regarded as a bad film, despite being very nearly the best film. But then, a lot of people seemed to think The Hangover was good, so I'm apparently in the minority.

Syndarr

Mar 28, 2008
werty10089 said:
Perhaps few of you may recognize this after so many years... <font color=red> 1408
- I've been told for years now that I'm despicable for liking what is acclaimed to be one of the worst Stephen King film-adaptations known to date. In it's defence, I can admire how it touches base with Dante's Inferno and how delusive it is in playing with the concepts of suffering and fear. On a physiological level, it's brilliant. On a level of fitting the horror genre, it's not so. I find myself respecting the former above the latter.
Hell yeah, I loved 1408! And I'm really picky about my scary movies; it has to be EXACTLY the right kind of scary or I won't like it, and 1408 hit all the right buttons.

I also adore Silent Hill. I'll admit it's probably because I'm a giant Silent Hill fangirl, but say what you want about that movie, I love it to pieces. And I also loved Brotherhood of the Wolf, the other movie by that director, which is why I was very pleased when I learned he was going to be directing the Silent Hill movie.

The Fifth Element! I can't believe Fifth Element is even on any list of bad movies anywhere; it's one of my favorite movies of all time. XD