Movies you love but everyone hates

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Oh, kind of a lot, although many have been mentioned here already:

REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA
Currently obsessed with that one. I don't even like the music that much, except for a few songs, but the style, the mix between dark slapsticky humor and more tragic/serious stuff and the fact that it's not a musical, but as advertised an opera make this one kinda awesome (Oh, also Anthony Steward Head as Protagonist helps).

FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN
I think people are too preoccupied with the facts that (a) the much praised (back then) "digital actors" were stilted and uncanny or (b) that it's not a "real" Final Fantasy Movie (although even i as a non-Fan of the Games know that it has a lot of it's typical elements). And while it's hardly perfect, it has a nice, rounded, abeit cliched story arc, a good pacing and AMAZING visuals. Every other Frame of that movie makes for an awesome wallpaper ^^.

WATCHMEN
Still trying to figure out what people actually WANT from a Watchmen Adaption. Looking beyond the pacing and the combination of a weird soundtrack and weird sound mixing, i'd say it's as good as it gets.

V FOR VENDETTA
Here i see definite flaws in the adaption (since it's my favorite Comic Book) like the slightly skewed message, the "dumbed down" character arcs and the omission of "This Vicious Cabaret" (seriously, what the hell?).
BUT, it's a delight to see and here Hugo Weaving as V, and taken on it's own, its still a good, thoughtful movie and one of the better action films of this decade.

THE FOUNTAIN
Visually a masterpiece, amazing score/soundtrack, very good and moving story. People claim the thing has no/a very convoluted story, but i don't really see that. Depending on my mood my favorite Aronovsky Movie.

CLOVERFIELD
Yes, the characters are assholes, but taken as an "experience", it's a great and even scary thrillride. It's supposed to be a kaiju movie from the perspective of an extra, and it succeeds pretty well being that.

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
It's like a dark and gritty version of pulpy sci-fi like Flash Gordon. Why do people not like that one?

Other unloved movies i like:
SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD
30 DAYS OF NIGHT
THE BOAT THAT ROCKED
LAST ACTION HERO
THE OTHER GUYS
PLANET TERROR
THE SIGNAL
[REC] 1+2
STARSHIP TROOPERS
KUNG POW
xXx2 (although for the wrong reasons, it's just so damn bad it's funny)

Oh, and:

Clipclop said:
The burbs starring tom hanks.

Nobody likes it but me. :<
Hey, i like that one too, except for the obviously changed ending, wich very much sucks.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Batman Forever. Though will always hold Tim Burton's films as the best "batmans", I quite liked Joel Schumacher's campy style and colorful approach.

On the other hand, I ain't so hot for the 2 new batman films, especially the first :\

Apr 2, 2011
I do love the three Transformers films, also i liked the comic relief characters. Although i do whish they gave the bots more screen time.

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
uzo said:

I thought it was a ok movie, but the ending actually offended me, here's my thought during it.

'all the humans die, sad, but at least it was original. *cue final scene* omg, I feel insulted that I was fooled into believing this movie was actually going to have a ending, that was clearly slapped on at the last moment. I can't believe they thought they would get away with that'

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
Blazing Saddles, Jumper and Who Dares Wins.

I know a lot of people like blazing Saddles but I know a lot of people hate the other two.

Newtonyd

Apr 30, 2011
The Fountain. It really spoke to me, but everyone I've met who has even seen it (few and far between) say it wasn't any good.

*Edit: Oh wait, there's someone not far above me who thinks the same. Yay!*

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
shrekfan246 said:
"Good Lord, I'm surrounded by Assholes! Keep firing, Assholes!"

Yogurt toy with high-pitched voice: "May the Schwartz be with you!"

"What's your name?" "Baaarrrf!" "Not in here, mister!"

"I'm your father's brother's second cousin's former roommate." "What does that make us?" "Absolutely nothing."
I was sure that last quote was longer (still stupid though!).

*ominous music* *wheeze* *wheeze* *SLAM!*
'Good grief, I can't breathe in this thing!'

'YOU IDIOTS! THESE ARE NOT THEM, YOU'VE CAPTURED THEIR STUNT DOUBLES!'

I think we could go on all day with these little gems.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Nichael Bluth said:
Eyes Wide Shut. I loved every single scene. It could quite possibly be my favorite Kubrick film behind A Clockwork Orange.
I agree with YOU, sir.

Joey Wonton said:
A good deal of the people I know hated Cloverfield, but I love the first person perspective thing.

I mean, if it works in CoD 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 then why not in films?
I agree with YOU, sir.

Sieg Firebrand said:
Daredevil. But only the director's cut. not the theatrical version, that sucks bawls
I agree with YOU, sir.

Plus "Dude, where's my car".

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Frybird said:
Oh, kind of a lot, although many have been mentioned here already:

REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA
Currently obsessed with that one. I don't even like the music that much, except for a few songs, but the style, the mix between dark slapsticky humor and more tragic/serious stuff and the fact that it's not a musical, but as advertised an opera make this one kinda awesome (Oh, also Anthony Steward Head as Protagonist helps).

FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN
I think people are too preoccupied with the facts that (a) the much praised (back then) "digital actors" were stilted and uncanny or (b) that it's not a "real" Final Fantasy Movie (although even i as a non-Fan of the Games know that it has a lot of it's typical elements). And while it's hardly perfect, it has a nice, rounded, abeit cliched story arc, a good pacing and AMAZING visuals. Every other Frame of that movie makes for an awesome wallpaper ^^.

WATCHMEN
Still trying to figure out what people actually WANT from a Watchmen Adaption. Looking beyond the pacing and the combination of a weird soundtrack and weird sound mixing, i'd say it's as good as it gets.

V FOR VENDETTA
Here i see definite flaws in the adaption (since it's my favorite Comic Book) like the slightly skewed message, the "dumbed down" character arcs and the omission of "This Vicious Cabaret" (seriously, what the hell?).
BUT, it's a delight to see and here Hugo Weaving as V, and taken on it's own, its still a good, thoughtful movie and one of the better action films of this decade.

THE FOUNTAIN
Visually a masterpiece, amazing score/soundtrack, very good and moving story. People claim the thing has no/a very convoluted story, but i don't really see that. Depending on my mood my favorite Aronovsky Movie.

CLOVERFIELD
Yes, the characters are assholes, but taken as an "experience", it's a great and even scary thrillride. It's supposed to be a kaiju movie from the perspective of an extra, and it succeeds pretty well being that.

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
It's like a dark and gritty version of pulpy sci-fi like Flash Gordon. Why do people not like that one?

Other unloved movies i like:
SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD
30 DAYS OF NIGHT
THE BOAT THAT ROCKED
LAST ACTION HERO
THE OTHER GUYS
PLANET TERROR
THE SIGNAL
[REC] 1+2
STARSHIP TROOPERS
KUNG POW
xXx2 (although for the wrong reasons, it's just so damn bad it's funny)

Oh, and:

Clipclop said:
The burbs starring tom hanks.

Nobody likes it but me. :<
Hey, i like that one too, except for the obviously changed ending, wich very much sucks.
I AGREE WITH YOU, SIR!!!

(Seriously, you could be my double.)

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
ThatLankyBastard said:
I'm gonna say "End of Evangelion", because when me and my friends watched it I was the only one that saw it as the jewel it was! And the others can go fuck themselves...

...pretty sure I'm the only one here who's actually watched it though...
I have the DVD of the first End of Evangelion film!!! My friend loves it, I haven't watched it yet though. Apparently it's a lot less depressing than the series.

OT: Huh, I dunno actually. Most of my friends have ok taste I guess!

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
Pulp fiction - it's probably one of my all time favourite films. and i know the thread is about films that everyone hates. but this still qualifies for me as EVERYONE in the group that comes round for weekly film night at mine hates it

not fun at all. Guess they'll pick Starship troopers again

oh, and the boat that rocked. for some reason it didn't go down well with critics but i really loved it

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
Mark Flanagan said:
In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale in a so bad (and it is sooooo bad) it's good way.

The Spirit which I genuinely prefer over Sin City as it doesn't have a stick up it'd own ass.
I also genuinely liked The Spirit. It was a far funnier film that didn't take itself too seriously (the presence of Samuel L Jackson does help it significantly though).

Speed Racer is another bloody great film that I don't think gets the recognition it deserves- it seems that in the UK barely anyone heard of it.

My circle of friends disliked Scott Pilgrim but I'm pretty sure it's cause I am far more deeply entrenched in gaming than they are and I was exposed to a lot of the hype on this site beforehand.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Zing said:
Brisky said:
The Wicker Man (remake). I don't care what movie it is, I never get tired of watching Nicholas Cage.
lol..

NOT THE BEEEEEEES!!!
How'd it get burned? HOW DID IT GET BURNED!!!!!
OP: Machete. People I know missed the point. It is supposed to be a cheesy exploitation flick. That and bad Nick Cage movies like the aforementioned Wicker Man.
I present Nic Cage being awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1-oquwoL8&playnext=1&list=PL35846B7DDF6D9519

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans being my favorite Cage film.

NEPAL

Mar 14, 2011
X-Men: The Last Stand, never thought it was bad as comic book fans claim it is.
Maybe I just have bad taste.

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Spider-Man 3 was pretty good.

SHUT UP!IT WAS DECENT!

Also,Pirates of the Carribbean 3, The Matrix Trilogy and X-Men Origins:Wolverine.

I have no idea why people actually hated these movies.
OK,maybe Emo Peter in Spider-Man 3 was a little over-doing it,but the rest was pretty good.
What about PotC 3?OK,there was a lotta talking,but that was to build up an atmosphere and well there is action later on,but that wasn't the point.The point is that JOHNNY DEPP IS AWESOME.
What about The Matrix?Why did SOME people hate these?I'm pretty sure most of us loved it,because not only did it revolutionize the genre,IT WAS AMAZING.Everything is blowing up and going slow-mo and stuff.Hugo Weaving and Keanu Reeves along with Laurence Fishbourne did a great job in those,and it's not one of those movies I would classify as "everyone hates them".
I only like X-Men Origins:Wolverine because of the same reasons I like PotC.THE LEAD ACTOR.A DAMN BROADWAY DANCER WITH WEIRD LOOKING HAIR AND BLADES COMING OUT OF HIS HANDS AND HE STILL LOOKS SO FUCKIN BADASS.Hugh Jackman as Wolverine FTW!Also,Gambit was kinda cool.

PS:Diary of a Wimpy Kid 1 & 2 were pretty funny,but also,I mainly like them because of one of the lead brothers,Rodrick.He's just EPIC.

Mr.Incognitus

Dec 7, 2010
I actually quite liked Postal, and liking any movie by Uwe Boll seems to be a sin amongst anyone who has ever watched a movie before. Same goes for movies like Epic Movie and Vampires Suck, which I also liked

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Hmmm,well to name a few: Wrist Cutters: A love story, Bickford Schmecler's cool Ideas, Cashback, Equilibrium,and of course Thankskilling. As well as Santa's Slay.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
I'm going to have to throw a vote in for Wild Wild West.

Yes, I know it isn't a great movie. But, I did enjoy it for what it was. I think not seeing the old TV show, and it being very hard to find, makes it so I don't judge the movie as harshly as some other viewers.

Plus, I love steampunk and Wild Wild West is one of the very few steampunk movies we've seen out of Hollywood.