Multiplayer Mass Effect Rumors Bubble Up Once Again

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Small number of co-op missions designed to be played over and over again... sounds like Left 4 Dead 3 is gonna be set in space. ^_^
Seriously, though, for such a story-driven series to suddenly include multiplayer makes me worry about the game a little bit.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
I actually really liked the training station and since these are (still rumored) stand-alone multiplayer matches I wouldn't mind playing them actually. The thing that DOES bother me is the "rule of cool" omni-tool knife. They better have some good BS sci-fi wibbly-wobbly space jargon to explain it.

Eezo did it, isn't enough of an explanation btw.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Co-op play could be epic.

That being said, I thought Mass Effect was already really popular and huge? I mean, it's not like 1 & 2 were niche games with a small audience. There was a lot of wide appeal already.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
unless a bioware representative confirms this i'd count it as made up bullshot, if they choose to do some kind of co-op im guessing they will do so after the game has shipped so as to not detract from the final part of the tale with morons who only bought it for co-op constantly bugging the real mass effect fans with party invites...not that i see bioware doing a co-op game if they go multiplayer specially when an mmo would make more sense.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
People play Mass Effect games for the story. Those who played the first 2 don't care about MP at all. Those who didn't play the first 2 are a minority and they will probably get the other 2 games before buying ME3. And if not, I doubt MP in Mass Effect will be the selling point to any audience. Mass Effect doesn't need multiplayer of any kind as a selling point. All they're doing with this is making me think they didn't invest their full time and resources into the single player experience which is the ONLY selling point of Mass Effect. Some games just don't need multiplayer. Don't ruin what could be a perfect trilogy!

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Some_Jackass said:
Somewhere, Shamus must be gnashing his teeth.

Part 3 of a story is a bad place to insert multiplayer. Trying to get new fans when you throw them in with a vague idea of the story (if that much) can not end well.
That fills me with a dread I can't even imagine. I love the new Happy Tree Shamus sooooo much more than angry Shamus. Don't make old man Shamus come back, Bioware!!! He makes my eyes roll into the back of my head, and mommy says that's dangerous!

I'm clearly in the minority who are open to at least seeing it in action before punching everyone at Bioware in the throat. *IF* it impacts the single player campaign, then I would totally understand the anger. I know at least a chunk of the ME team is in Edmonton, so there's a good chance this was not an impact on the campaign, especially since they were hiring new people for multiplayer work recently. Assuming the Montreal team working on it was not the core ME3 team, shouldn't we at least give it a shake before pitching fits?

If it's awesome, then it's a win for us; we have a game mode to enjoy with other ME fans! If it sucks, then... go with me here, guys... then we simply don't play it.

Whoa.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
SilverStrike said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
NOT EVERY GOD DAMN GAME NEEDS MULTIPLAYER!

Now that I got that out of the way, their logic baffles me. Trying to bring in a new audience with the third game in a trilogy is just stupid.
What he said.. is the audience garnered from the first two games not satisfying enough for EA? ME is already really popular! Anyone who considers playing it is going to start from the beginning most likely after hearing how good ME is. They're not going to SUDDENLY be interested by the third one! Well, for an RPG, anyway..
Gah. I was so looking forward to it this year. Now it's pushed back.. I'm really hoping this is a good game. I really don't wanna be disappointed. I loved the first two, this better end it well.
yeah, but this is a bit of a relief though. remember when they just said they were adding time to make it appeal to wider audiences? it seems they added time to add a couple multiplayer levels, so i am a little relieved about that. now i just want to see more of the game itself, because the combat looks just fine, but i want to see how the story holds up with this finale; that is what i am really concerned about.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
The.Bard said:
Some_Jackass said:
Somewhere, Shamus must be gnashing his teeth.

Part 3 of a story is a bad place to insert multiplayer. Trying to get new fans when you throw them in with a vague idea of the story (if that much) can not end well.
That fills me with a dread I can't even imagine. I love the new Happy Tree Shamus sooooo much more than angry Shamus. Don't make old man Shamus come back, Bioware!!! He makes my eyes roll into the back of my head, and mommy says that's dangerous!

I'm clearly in the minority who are open to at least seeing it in action before punching everyone at Bioware in the throat. *IF* it impacts the single player campaign, then I would totally understand the anger. I know at least a chunk of the ME team is in Edmonton, so there's a good chance this was not an impact on the campaign, especially since they were hiring new people for multiplayer work recently. Assuming the Montreal team working on it was not the core ME3 team, shouldn't we at least give it a shake before pitching fits?

If it's awesome, then it's a win for us; we have a game mode to enjoy with other ME fans! If it sucks, then... go with me here, guys... then we simply don't play it.

Whoa.
yeah, pretty much this. i just want to see what it actually all looks like before i begin going down my hit-list. everyone is really just concerned the single player will be simplified and the characters and storytelling taken away from in the name of mainstream. if bioware would frigging show us the single player more, besides the combat, our concerns can be laid to rest and they can stop a good bit of the bitching at them for 'ruining' the game....... hopefully

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well I wont be playing it, Im stuck getting mass effect 3 for the 360 and I dont do gold

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Dusk17 said:
It wouldn't be the multiplayer that bothers me its the kinect support
May I ask why? It's a pitch-perfect implementation that has 0 affect on non-Kinect users:

Like Kinect? Use it.
Hate Kinect? You don't even have to lift a finger to avoid it.

It was a turnkey solution; Kinect does all the heavy lifting so Bioware was able to throw it in quickly & easily.

I'm genuinely curious why some people think this is such a terrible thing... I can't wait to try it out, personally. Shouldn't those of us with a Kinect be able to try some innovative things with hardcore games?

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Everyone is saying it's an awful idea. I think its a good one, I WANT to play with friends in a squad. Not having to pause and use ally skills manually.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
Irridium said:
Why are they trying to bring in new audiences in the third game of a trilogy?

I just don't get it.
Well, plenty of people got into ME because of ME2. Just saying.

That said, I'm unphased by the multiplayer. I do miss co-op games, as they've been shafted in favorite of deathmatch and a bit lately. Is ME a good place to bring in cooperative gameplay? Possibly. It is a team oriented game, after all.

And the melee weapon omni tool is really hot.

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
And I still don't give a fuck about ME3.

Bioware may be the first anything to turn me off a series with just one installment. ME2 was just a boring, orange, plot-hole filled mess, and by the way this is going ME3 will be the same.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Trying to bring in a new audience with the third game in a trilogy is just stupid.
jackanderson said:
OT: With barely 8 months to go, and this being the final game in the trilogy,
Actually this may have changed during development. During a PC Gamer interview Muzyka either got his tongue stuck, or dropped down the worst kind of spoiler there is.

We?re exploring new types of online play. We also have some new things in the pipe we haven?t announced yet out of our Edmonton studio? We?re obviously looking at Mass Effect, Dragon Age ? they?re epic franchises, and we have more things planned in the future. Mass Effect 3 is the beginning of a Galactic war. The future?s bright.?
Notice that he said that Mass Effect 3 is the beginning of a Galactic war.
Not that the game begins with a Galactic war.
Not that during the game a Galactic war begins.
But it is the beginning of a Galactic war.

This means that it is possible for the integrity of the story as a trilogy to have been compromise for Mass Effect 4 or the creation of spin-offs (or MMO).

Or I'm just looking for depth where there isn't one.

EDIT: Here is the link [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/15/bioware-tease-mass-effect-mmo/] to the interview.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Attention EA!
This game already makes you mad money! It does not need multiplayer, and since this is the THIRD installment it is unlikely to draw in new people just because you put in multiplayer! If anything, adding this will just increase production time, costing you money!

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
The more I hear about ME3 (and SW:TOR), the less I want to play it (them). Is it just me or is Bioware trying reverse marketing? Let's make everyone who bought our games and supported us less interested in our games to sell more! What's next? ME: Journeys... a rail shooter for Kinect?

- Kinect support.... yawn.
- Possible Spec-Ops style multiplayer... yawn... aggravating if you're an achievement whore.
- Only available on Origin (EA's new download service)... You prefer Steam, GoG, Impulse, D2D? Well too bad.
- Omni-tool Knife.... groan. Yes, fine give Shepard a melee attack... don't make it nonsensical/magic.

Now look, I know in ME2, you went with a cover based shooter and I supported this decision. I even supported your decision to simplify Dragon Age 2 (The dungeon re-use smacked of laziness though, I also felt that you didn't go far enough to make it more of an action game... ditch the WoW interface). I however don't support that it's starting to ape more and more from Gears of War... hell from what I saw of the E3 trailer it looks too much like Gears of Mass Effect already! Look all I'm saying is... stop with the disappoint, Bioware, and make the great games I know you can make.