Musical Ignorance

Xhoyl

Dec 7, 2009
Darius Brogan said:
Xhoyl said:
You are now officially my favorite person ever.

I haven't heard anything about LoD for... Uhm... EVER, and it's good to know that it hasn't been completely lost to the new generation of instant gratification games.

Totally agree with you on the song. It's a beautiful piece.
It's the first RPG I ever owned and finished. I had to work for it, because the timing in that game can get unholy at times. But when I did I was treated to this piece. It fit the ending absolutely perfectly, and at that moment I knew that gaming was something worth defending, and that I would spend my life doing just that, through my medium of writing. Part of the reason I love game music, is because it has to convey emotions that fit with the moment, but can still be appreciated by itself. More importantly (and to get back on point) in comparison to most rap, this song conveys deep emotions, namely the wish to have love in a world that simultaneously values and devalues it. That life not only throws crap at you, but sometimes good things. And ultimately, whether or not true love can even be contained in this life alone. I don't think something that strong can die just because your body does, but let's save that for a theological/philosophical discussion in another thread :p

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
I'm probably one of the most musically ignorant people out there. I still have trouble putting most music into it's respective categories (It was only until High School that I could separate Pop from Rock, and even then I still have difficulties with the modern versions). For the most part, I listen to what I like without care of genre, and that has served me well.

However, the only time I try to get behind the bashing of certain artists and/or bands is when I feel it is in the best interest to knock these people down a peg. Rebecca Black? Of all the music I've heard in my life, hers is the only thing I can't stand for longer than a minute; her popularity is grossly undeserved, and she needs to figure that out. Justin Beiber? I've never heard his music, but it's the pompous air that I get whenever I read or hear stuff about him. It sounds like he thinks he's god's gift to music or something like that. Lady Gaga? Eh...she's a hardcore cosplayer. I have to admit I've caught myself humming "California Girls" now and again, so I can hardly say she's bad, but then maybe this is for the best; if she wasn't famous, she'd probably be in an asylum right now for her twisted taste in fashion.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I agree that too many people jump to conclusions with music. I mean you have to be careful not to mistake opinions for ignorance, like I've seen people give each other flak over not liking X or Y or whatever, those are just opinions.

Musical ignorance is when people shun music before they even hear it. Like they'll refuse to listen to anything that isn't metal for example without even trying other genres and basing opinions off the few songs that they didn't like.

As for he Bieber thing, sure he's not harming me but I'm allowed to find him bloody annoying. I mean his music isn't even that bad, it's just a low-average sounding noise at most, It's bearable atleast. But when cardboard like that is made stupidly popular and is pushed in your face all the time (rants don't help either) it can get bloody annoying. And I seriously worry for a lot of the fans too.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Xhoyl said:
NotSoNimble said:
I will stop saying 'I don't like rap' when I hear rap I like.

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.
Exactly. Not only that, but according to the definition of music from my music theory teacher, rap isn't music at all. In the sense that it's more like a poem with some kind of beat in the background. Except without the "poem" part, and just words as far as I've heard. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say I agree with him. Someone wants to change my mind, show me a rap song that actually brings any sort of emotion to the table.
10,000 rappers out there. Each one gets the most hoes, pops the most caps, drives the most expensive car, and is just generally the baddest n***** who ever walked. When you get right down to it there is only one rap song and the guys singing it don't qualify for the position they claim. The real baddest n*****s who ever walked are too busy being the baddest n*****s who ever walked to bother rapping about it. The fictional nature of the lyrics wouldn't be a problem if the fools singing it didn't take themselves so seriously.

I seem to remember rap being live, unrehearsed verses delivered off-the-cuff. To make up rhymes on the spot for three minutes straight while sounding cool and effortless -- the guys who can do that well have my respect. The pre-recorded stuff doesn't require any skill.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
My gripe is with radio, or, more precisely, the people who run radio. Radio serves up the same forty songs -- for whatever genre the station represents -- over and over and over. Thousands of CDs these studios have in their closets, and it's the same forty songs, the same forty songs, the same forty songs.

Now why is this? Money is the obvious answer but I don't think it quite washes. There are loads of good songs out there, moldering away in obscurity. Surely a variety of good songs is more interesting -- and therefore more attractive to listeners -- than the same old stuff? I think we get same old, same old because the bigwigs who control the programming don't think we, the people can handle our own musical taste. By playing the same old stuff, they're telling us that's all there is. There are these forty songs, and nothing else.

They're spitting on our minds.

And the worst part isn't that they do this. The worst part is they get away with it. Listeners buy into this brainwashing so completely they will call the station to request a song that's already on the playlist. We have heard "More Than A Feeling" seven times a day since time beyond reckoning but somebody will still request it.

Thank you, lords of radio. Thank you for taking the miracle that is music and reducing its wonderful alchemy to the auditory equivalent of a sports drink: bland, overpriced, overhyped, and ultimately empty. Thank you for dimming the light of the world. Thank you for serving evil. Thank you for trying to make us all the same.

Purple Shrimp

Oct 7, 2008
SystemUpdate said:
but you should still have respect for the genre and artist (unless they really are a piece of talentless crap - Brokencyde, for instance).
why did you have to ruin such a reasonable post with this little piece of hypocrisy

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Whenever I say "I don't like rap" to people, they proceed to tell me I'm listening to the wrong stuff. And then they show me the "underground" rap.

The best thing I could say for underground rap is that sometimes it has a good message. A song is suppose to be enjoyable. If you can't make good music, you are just saying poetry. So do poetry.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Purple Shrimp said:
SystemUpdate said:
but you should still have respect for the genre and artist (unless they really are a piece of talentless crap - Brokencyde, for instance).
why did you have to ruin such a reasonable post with this little piece of hypocrisy
Because it's a universal fact that Brokencyde sucks.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Well you can't deny that the various ammounts of -core genres are actually crappy despite having a few good bands.And funnily those same bands lean more on other genres instead of their -core genre.This includes gammacore and hard techno but it still appeals to candy ravers and it's pretty obscure not a lot in your face.
That's still ruling out a heck of a lot of genres. Breakcore, dubcore, terrorcore, they're all just as valid as any other genre.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Just let them live in ignorance. By dismissing genre's they miss out on the chance of finding songs they might enjoy so let them punish themselves.

I used to be like that, only listening to hard rock, then one day I thought to my self, "This is stupid! Bands are not football teams that rival against each other, just entertainers having fun". So then I went on my persoanl mission to find out what was so appealing about the other genre's. And you know what? I found it! I can listen to every genre and enjoy them equally; country, black metal, techno, folk, jazz, opera, etc.

As for Justin Beiber, I agree the hate is way over board, but I still believe he shouldn't be anywhere near as successful just because of his look and "Baby, Baby, Baby, Oohhh Baby".

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
Xhoyl said:
Darius Brogan said:
Xhoyl said:
You are now officially my favorite person ever.

I haven't heard anything about LoD for... Uhm... EVER, and it's good to know that it hasn't been completely lost to the new generation of instant gratification games.

Totally agree with you on the song. It's a beautiful piece.
It's the first RPG I ever owned and finished. I had to work for it, because the timing in that game can get unholy at times. But when I did I was treated to this piece. It fit the ending absolutely perfectly, and at that moment I knew that gaming was something worth defending, and that I would spend my life doing just that, through my medium of writing. Part of the reason I love game music, is because it has to convey emotions that fit with the moment, but can still be appreciated by itself. More importantly (and to get back on point) in comparison to most rap, this song conveys deep emotions, namely the wish to have love in a world that simultaneously values and devalues it. That life not only throws crap at you, but sometimes good things. And ultimately, whether or not true love can even be contained in this life alone. I don't think something that strong can die just because your body does, but let's save that for a theological/philosophical discussion in another thread :p
Good plan :) And I agree with you on the subject of music in video-games having to convey more than just tune.

Much of the time these days music is a pass-time, reserved for whenever one doesn't feel like hearing their own thoughts, instead of being brought into thought by the piece in question.

Rap is a good example: Despite it's ofttimes loud brash/offensive lyrics, it's almost completely lacking in any real emotion, and feeling. It's supposed to be for 'ears only' though I have trouble listening long enough to care, really.

I actually count myself lucky that most of the bands I like make attempts to incorporate emotion and power into their music. Not all of them are universally popular, of course, but that's a fact I live with, and I'll never begrudge one their tastes, as horrible as I think they are...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Rap is primarily composed of people who not only are disrespectful, but overall terrible people who I will never respect. They are a bad influence on people and spread bad ideas and messages. Alot of pop does too, but hardly as severe. However Lady Gaga is a trashy shock artists who is even worse that she has a good voice which she wastes on being what she is.
It also is annoying that since I am part of the LGBT spectrum I am apparently expected to like her trash.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The amount of ignorance in this thread if disgusting. You can like whatever you want but I'll be damned if you think what I listen to isn't 'music.'
Xhoyl said:
Exactly. Not only that, but according to the definition of music from my music theory teacher, rap isn't music at all. In the sense that it's more like a poem with some kind of beat in the background. Except without the "poem" part, and just words as far as I've heard. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say I agree with him. Someone wants to change my mind, show me a rap song that actually brings any sort of emotion to the table.
And that's the tip of the ice-berg. By the way, the song is Trip-Hop but I brought it up anyway since you said 'rap.' If you're serious about finding a deep rap song, look up Tupac. Note that obviously your emotions differ from mine and many others however he is a well-loved rapper for good reasons.

MysticToast said:
Because it's a universal fact that Brokencyde sucks.
You actually believe that it's a fact that Brokencyde sucks? Well that gives me a wonderful indication that of your stance on music and subjectivity.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
With few exceptions I like music from all genres, but I don't like all genres. I hate techno as a genre because I find it lazy. There's the techno remix of You're Out of Touch where one line is repeated over and over. If I hate the majority of music from a genre I figure I hate the genre. If someone found an awesome techno song I would still hate the genre because I hate the 99% remaining. When it comes to rap I love Tupac, and a few songs from Twista and some other songs. As a genre I don't like rap because most of it doesn't appeal to me one bit. It's not ignorant to dislike a genre if you simply dislike all you've heard from it. Opinions are based on experience not knowledge. Do you claim that someone who hasn't experienced the same thing you have to be ignorant? I judge things from what I have experienced, and change it as I experience new things.
If the first rap song I heard was by Lil Wayne I would say I hated rap. If the second rap song was I Ain't Mad Atcha by Tupac I would say rap sounds pretty decent at times.
Also you forget to account for taste, which makes you ignorant. Some people dislike certain kinds of music because it's not their style.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
PoisonUnagi said:
It had to be done, admit it.
I hadn't heard that before. If only it stayed that way...*breaks into tears* I'm sorry I...I think I need some Miles Davis or Horace Silver to calm my nerves.

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
omega 616 said:
snipped

Edit. For example I wouldn't call this music but I really like it.

ou could also play a little game of name that game during the video.
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't call it music. Is it because most of it is programmed on a computer? These days a lot of producers work with midi keyboards to play in the notes, meaning they are consciously playing the lines rather then just programming. Also, to create that product you need to understand rhythm (like syncopes), various synthesizing techniques and harmonic content to make it all work.

I'm not attacking you, just giving me side of the story, but I'm still curious as to why you wouldn't call it music.

On topic:

I disregard genres as a whole just so I have more time to find things that I like in genre that produce enough shift of their own. With the over saturation going on in the world today it's hard enough as it is. If somebody gives me a track to listen to I'll give it a chance though, but often enough I find songwriting poorly executed.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
It's a bit different for rap, because it's frickin' everywhere. You can't escape it. It's used as backing music for a hell of a lot of crap on TV, it's pretty much every second song on the radio, and it's horrible. Execs all through every aspect of the entertainment biz have said to themselves "this is what the kids like these days" and so they put it into everything to try and ride it's popularity. I absolutely loathe rap, I think 99.9999% of it is complete and utter shit and the tiny fraction that might not be is still only just tolerable, at best. I wouldn't be so vehemently against an entire genre of music like that except for the fact that, as I said, you can't escape it without cutting yourself off from popular culture almost entirely.

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
Xhoyl said:
NotSoNimble said:
I will stop saying 'I don't like rap' when I hear rap I like.

I hear what you're saying. But I don't think I throw the words hate around that much.
I unfortunately can't remember the name of the song, but there's one song that tells the following story:

Boy meets girl. They fall in love. Boy wants to go further with girl. She leaves him in tears. Confused, boy acts irrationally and ends up in prison. When he gets out he finds out that the girl he was with had AIDS and died from it while he was incarcerated but she left him a farewell letter telling him how much he'd meant to her.

I'm not even a fan of rap and I thought that was touching.