My teacher wants us to become social deviants...

Dimbo_Sama

Mar 20, 2009
When the elevator doors open, time a jump so that it looks like you just landed when the doors open. and go WEEEEEE!!!!

This is especially confusing if the lift was going up at the time.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
N... noooo!

You removed all the very good excuses given when people break the social norms. No drugs? How does she expect you to succeed now?!

Ok, putting that aside. Well, my boyfriend is suggesting dressing up like a clown. If you want my advice take a look at lot of the 'indi' or otherwise socially rejected groups and try dressing/acting like them, but out in public where the 'normals' can see you as most of these groups self-segregate. Only... chose from a group that isn't stupid or anything.

I myself wear a collar, have for years, and it defiantly isn't a social norm as many people have commented on it. In fact, after a while you don't even feel it any more, making a humorous moment where you look at them puzzled before it clicks what they are talking about.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Walk in to a restaurant, ask to use the washroom, rip a massive fart, then say "Oops, nevermind", and walk out.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
OHH!!! I got one!

Kill someone in Halo and DON'T Teabag them!
if that fails... Wear your underwear on the outside to class the day the assignment is due

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Sounds like your teacher has issues, I fail to see how a stunt like this helps teach sociology in any practical sense. Largely because she's putting so many limitations on it for obvious reasons, since all of the things she has forbidden are what would clearly illustrate why societal norms exist to begin with. None of the things suggested really illustrate anything.

Not saying a teacher should encourage students to do illegal and reckless things, what I'm saying is that this entire exercise seems to lack any point I would consider valid what-so-ever.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Go without a computer/console for a week, hand write your experiences and turn them in for the essay.

OneOfNone

Feb 25, 2010
if you are male, wear a skirt.

edit: umm.. if you are female.. go in full drag i guess..

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Straz said:
Recently I told a few friends of mine to go to a heavy metal concert wearing My Chemical Romance/Greenday T-Shirts, and go moshing.
But that wasn't so much to the purpose of observing reactions to perceived deviation so much as me trying to get them killed.
well, it kind of depends. if you do that at a real metal band's concert, nothing will happen, as metalheads are the most tolerant people walking on this planet.
if you do something like this at, let's say, a Korn or Slipknot or whatever concert... well, gl & hf ^^

oh and i liked the idea of that creepy smile right before entering a crowded (or not crowded, guess it mwouldn't matter that much) elevator

i sure know i'm gonna do this ^^
not doing a thing to the day you've got to have your assignment done, and handing it in the day after, sounds pretty nice though, although maybe a little too quiet for my taste ;)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
daemon37 said:
Say "hello" to every single person you see.
I actually like this idea quite a bit because walking down the street, etc. essentially ignoring everyone is what most people normally do, however greeting everyone is actually the nicer more pro-society approach. It sort of takes the assignment and flips it on it's head. You're not doing something that should be considered odd or weird like many of the other ideas (wearing clothes backwards, eating at a restaurant while standing, etc.) but because of the current connected yet disconnected state of society, it is considered odd.

Eerors

Jan 31, 2010
You could not show up to classes if your in a small enough class for it to be noticed
-or-
talk to someone you don't know who is in your age group on public transport
-or-
Start a conversation with a infant while their parent is around and observe the parents reaction. For added effect, ask a member of the opposite gender to do the same and compare parental reactions.
-or-
Try to get in with a different cliques but refuse to change your attitude to match theirs and see who accepts you for who you are...

You might have to do some more then once though for it to be relevant....

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Go to a library, take a random book, open it and put it on the floor. Then do push-ups while reading it. You know, work out for body and mind

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Tell your teacher she's crazy. This isn't a topic for the assignment literally tell her she's of her rocker. I wouldn't do this assignment for anything espeacially if it makes you look like an idiot.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Do all of your week's homework assignments in pig latin.
Or start walking in place.
Or you could skip everywhere.
Wear your clothes backwards or inside out.
Get a mohawk.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Go busking with an air guitar.

No, nothing else. Just imitate the sounds. Have a hat open for change, and see how much you make.