Name your top 5 games this gen

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
*NOT IN ORDER*

portal 2:
combined comedy and brilliant gameplay mechanics into something i will never forget.

skyrim:
represented bethesda's first open game to do open world properly , having a fun, vibrant world.

red dead redemption:
RDR will be forever be remembered as the game that rejuvenated the western, and the most fun you can have playing as a desparado.

catherine:
the first time i've cared about a character. also, i cried during the true love ending.

mass effect 3:
wrapped up one of my favourite series in an explosive and unexpected fashion. plus, i loved the characters[GARRUS I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU].

honourable mentions:
gears of war 3
uncharted 3
halo 3
COD 4
L4D 1/2
heavy rain
deus ex: HR

my top 5 are actually framed in my gaming room, and get changed whenever a new game raises the bar.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Portal/Portal 2: Best humor in the industry, fun puzzles. The beauty of the turret opera.

Deus Ex HR: Like Alpha Protocol (kinda) but better and with a more likable protagonist and vending machine throwing. Boss fights negatively effect the outcome and the end is horrendous. Otherwise the gameplay is fun allowing for many styles of play, though stealth has the best rewards.

Dragon Age: Origins: Excellent writing, important, driving storylines with character arcs, and functional to string the narrative together, minus a few bugs and the motherfucking Fade level.

Mount and Blade: Warband: The modding community for this game makes up for the crummy graphics (it's like late PS2 graphics), nonexistent story, and horrendous characters 10 fold. It combines a basic strategy game with a decent rpg. You know that feeling in an RPG when you level up until you can take on armies alone? Yeah, that's there (if you focus on horse archery especially) but the RTS element of building a world conquering force from a bunch of peasants goes hand in hand with it. You become a god among men and your army is your angels. That exists in the native version so the game makes it.

Bioshock: Beautifully atmospheric. Incredible story telling. Harsh difficulty but low punishment for death keeps the game accessible. Also the twist hammered me and now I can never forget that three word phrase. It also comes across as one of my better arguments for games as art. No book or movie could have told that story as well as a game could have. The twist wouldn't have had the same impact.

I chose these games for their single player, obviously. However, my multiplayer honorable mention is a tie between BF3 (yes, I am that sort) for actual balance in an FPS and Ghost Recon Future Soldier for fair balance and extremely tactical gameplay that appeals to the amateur tactician in me.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
1. Call of Duty 4
2. Mass Effect
3. Starcraft 2
4. Modern Warfare 2 (Yes, really.)
5. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

CoD4 is everything you could ever want in an arcade shooter. Great campaign, innovative, and by far the best multiplayer game of this generation.

Mass Effect is in my opinion the best RPG ever made. 2 and 3 were both great games, but nothing can touch the original.

Starcraft 2 is on this list strictly because of the custom game creator. Some of the user-created content for this game is incredibly fun.

Modern Warfare 2 catches a lot of flak for being imbalanced, frustrating and incredibly random, but all of those things are why it's so great. EVERYTHING is overpowered in MW2. Killstreaks, guns, perks, everything. Despite how frustrating it can be, it's just so much fun when you can find a decent lobby without knife kids or noob tube morons.

UMvC3 is about as well-designed and balanced as fighting games can be. It's fast, fluid, and just feels perfect to me.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Eurgh, I'm going to split them into single and multiplayer since I like some for one and some for the other.

SP/Co-op:
1.Dark Souls
2.Binding of Isaac
3.Bastion
4.Super Meat Boy
5.Killing Floor (Co-op)

MP:
1.League of Legends
2.League of Legends
3.League of Legends
4.League of Legends
5.League of Legends
(I kid.)
2.Halo 3
3.Gears of War 2
4.Team Fortress 2
5.Left 4 Dead 1

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
5) Mirror's Edge. Holy mechanically unique game Batman! I mean yeah it had some technical problems, but doesn't the fucking awesomeness make up for it? I don't know, I just love running around on walls and being able to do it from a first person perspective relatively smoothly was unbelievably cool.

4) Dark Souls. Probably the "gamiest" game. (And of course I'm using the word "gamiest" to mean "tastes like something you just killed". But when was the last time you got to say the mechanics were the best thing about a game (I mean other than Mirror's Edge) Dark Souls just sucked me in and kept me there for well over 200 hours

3) Portal. I don't know. Does it count. the first time I heard of it was on the Orange Box and that came out this generation so I'm counting it. Physics and homicidal machinery have never been so good together. (And no Portal 2 was not better)

2) Dragon Age Origin. You remember Bioware right? those guys who made a bunch of good games then inexplicably and over night just switched to pumping out shit in the name of making a quick buck off the fanbase they've been building up for like 15 years now? This was the last game they made worth mentioning.
(Honestly though Mass Effect 2 used to be on my "top 5 games this generation" list, but then Mass Effect 3 came out and completely mooted that entire series. And while I did love Mass Effect 2 it didn't have an end, and judging the whole series as a whole it isn't very good.)

1) Record of Agarest War. So I say this is the best game, but really the fact that it's a game is just a formality, what's really appealing about this is the writing and voice acting, so it could have been, like a hundred hour long movie and get the same review. That's not to say that the turn-based strategy RPG behind all the terrific writing and acting isn't great. But honestly the "game" part could have sucked and the whole package wouldn't have suffered for it.

I will throw an honorable mention to Rock Band 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum/City (I can't for the life of me decide which is better so I'll say they tie for 7th place) and finally Bastian

Haefulz

Jun 17, 2012
Tough coming up with this list

1. Pokemon Heartgold
2. Rainbow Six Vegas
3. Heavy Rain
4. Uncharted 3
5. Skyrim

Just missed the cut: Alan Wake, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Portal 2

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
1. Team Fortress 2
2. Portal 2
3. Batman Arkham City
4. Borderlands
5. Saints Row The Third

Honourable Mentions: Skyrim, Fallout NV, Worms Reloaded.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
In no particular order

Fallout New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Portal 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (CoD 4)

Despite the fact that it was buggier and lacked super-mutants, New Vegas was a shining example of what an open world RPG should be.

All of the elements of Mass Effect 2 came together in just the right way to make it truly amazing. The same can not be said of 1 (story was mediocre at best, and the gameplay was horrible) and I haven't finished 3, yet, so no statement there.

Arkham Asylum had a better, more varied environment than Arkham City. The blandness of the city in turn negatively effected gameplay.

Portal 2 redefined what a good game was. It had amazing gameplay, environments, and arguably the best writing in video game history.

CoD4 redefined the FPS. The unfortunate fact is that it lead to an over-saturation of knock-offs, but the game itself was still amazing.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
1. Shadow Complex
2. Castle Crashers
3. Minecraft
4. Bioshock
5. Castlevania Harmony of Despair
6. Braid (cheating)
7. Limbo (cheating)

I might as well add in the last two since these are probably the only 7 games I genuinely love out of this entire gen (excluding oblivion). And before anyone asks, yes I have more retail games, 25+ more just for the 360 alone. I just think the main library of "AAA games" is utterly shitty. But here are some honorable mentions just so you know I really gave them a chance.
Twilight Princess, 3D Dot game Heroes, Battlefield Bad Company, Portal, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Borderlands, Rayman Origins and Gears of War 2. All of these games may not have been as great as my top choices, but they were certainly worth every penny.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal
Mass Effect 2
Batman: Arkham City
Alan Wake

These 5 are probably the most I've felt "involved" in the games (if that makes any sense at all)

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Persona 3 Portable
Arkham Asylum
Tales of Vesperia
Fallout New Vegas
Disgaea 4

I'm more than positive I'm forgetting tons of good games. This has been a very long generation

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
In no particular order:

Portal 2
Uncharted 3
Minecraft
Heavy Rain
Mass Effect (series as a whole)

I think my top #1 game would be Heavy Rain just because of how involved I was in it. No other game has made me feel the things that game made me feel.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Lumber Barber said:
Modded Skyrim is probably my #5. Unmodded it's one of the worst pieces of crap I have ever played.
Portal for #4,
L4D2 for #3,
#2 for Mountain Blade Warband
and #1 goes to the glorious Red Dead Redemption.
I didn't realize Skyrim has been out long enough for decent mods to get made, every time I checked all I saw was nude skins and crap. I would love to get back into skyrim what are a couple decent mods?

On topic in no particular order:

Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect (1st one)
Bioshock
Mortal Kombat ( I was surprised how much I enjoyed that game)
Amnesia: Dark Decent

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Depends on which generation you mean. The 360/Wii/PS3 generation? Does this include PC and DS or do I have to use the 3DS? It's a tough question for me cause I found a lot of games to be fairly uninteresting or not worth my time.

No order:
*Portal 2
*Anything related to Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright/Miles Edgeworth
*Saints Row 2
*Endless Ocean: Blue World
*LA Noire

Yeah, I don't know.. I like a lot of games, but I think many are probably too old to really list. Technically the first three Phoenix Wright games were GBA, too, so they might not count. I'd list something like Solatorobo, but it was hardly a perfect game and I doubt most people will recognize it. Or Bowser's Inside Story, that was a great game. Super Paper Mario, as well.

EDIT: Oh, I noticed some people including older titles like Bioshock, which was a great game. I wouldn't mind listing Minecraft or Terraria, gods know I played the former for like a year, and am still playing the latter.

Xiroh86

Jan 7, 2012
5 - Heavy Rain
4 - Portal 2
3 - Metal Gear Solid 4
2 - Uncharted 2
1 - Uncharted 3 (yes i love the series that much)

Honorable Mentions: Alice Madness Returns, Uncharted, God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (technically 1/3 of it is this gen)