Naming Your Characters.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
Gee, my threads just keep getting more and more profound.

Anyway...

I'm curious to learn if any of you have any particular naming habits for game characters (when you're given a choice, of course). Do you simply call them by your own name? Maybe your Gamertag or PSN ID? Or might you go by some other method?

Personally, I just pick something bizarre or stupid. Or string random syllables together. Here are a few:

Dragon Age's main character (1st): Pillock

Dragon Age's main character (2nd): My Lord (so everyone addresses me with the deference I KNOW I deserve)

Dragon Age's Mabari hound: King Woofy

Fable II's dog: Dog-Jesus

How do you name things? Give a few examples if you wish, and you don't have to stick with just these two games. Or games at all, if you so choose. Maybe you enjoy writing, and have a habit of naming people a certain way. Doesn't matter to me.

EDIT: On the above note, I follow the same guidelines for fictional characters... which is to say I have no guidelines. I think I'm weird this way, but sometimes I enjoy sitting with pen and paper, thinking up name after bizarre name. Maybe for a story down the road, or maybe for my own amusement. Here are some:

Kork Flitwick
Prinkett Bluder
Nanush Ider
Shunk Dordle
Quarn Quatto
Okron Olso
Lilliter Limpet
Boon Nindinormer

Actually, I do tend to make a lot of alliterative names, so there's that.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
My 3 Dragon Age Characters/Every other game were named:
Jules Winnfield
Max Power
Jack Churchill

I just name everything after something I find funny, cool, or interesting.

Threx

Nov 9, 2009
I've used DontTazeMeBro for a long while. Only because I had got an X-box 360 around the time it had happened.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I have a go-to name for fantasy characters, Astuke - a slight alteration to the word astute. Then I use my normal name for the next character after him I use random name generators. I'm very lazy.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I name all my characters Gorlok because its the only name I can think of.

I'm really not good at naming my characters.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I have no typical pattern. Except animals, I usually give them silly names.

edit: I take that back, I totally forgot about MMORPEGGERS. I almost always gave them a two word name like for
SinEater (WoW: Undead warlock)
EctoCooler (WoW: Orc deathknight)
Lockkey (WoW: Belf rogue)
or
In city of heroes/villains I actually made a Villain who was a guy in a suit that looked like scarface who had the power to summon minons (military men) and used guns and named him Lord Colombian. For this, when I was very far into the game, my account was suspended for making an offensive character, then when it was lifted they had me change his name. I never did and quit playing the game after that.

Radeonx said:
My 3 Dragon Age Characters were named:
Jules Winnfield
Max Power
Jack Churchill

How were you able to change their surnames? Those are set.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Drawn + animated badly by me.

Unoriginal

Apr 3, 2010
I use swears most of the time. It's funny.

"Hello, B%*#$!"
"So A$$*$&%, where are you going?"
"What do you think, D*$&#*%#*?"

thepopeofatheism

Jul 14, 2008
I have a fairly decent pool of names I pull from, depending on race, gender and character class:

Janus (Janus Fel'Nareil for fantasy characters and Janus Cascade for sci-fi or adventurous types)

Gaspar
Sebbin Bevil
Lezard
Lent
Fist
Merrick
Maria
Mei

May 28, 2009
Radeonx said:
Jack Churchill

Well Jack Churchill radiates pure awesome.

Well my dog in Dragon Age is called Dialysis, and my character is Shontlecake.

My good guy Shepherd character is called Dr. Shepherd, and the bad character is DJ Shepherd, or DJ Shep Sheps. He's a bad guy because of his awful dancing.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
ace_of_something said:
I have no typical pattern. If the character is an Animal though I give it a name that is silly though. (The Mabari was named Duke Tablescraps for my first character)

Radeonx said:
My 3 Dragon Age/Every other game Characters were named:
Jules Winnfield
Max Power
Jack Churchill

How were you able to change their surnames? Those are set.
Some of them fit, but those are the names I use for everything.
I just chose Dragon Age because that's what he said, and I used one form of those for every character.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
Unoriginal said:
I use swears most of the time. It's funny.

"Hello, B%*#$!"
"So A$$*$&%, where are you going?"
"What do you think, D*$&#*%#*?"
I think I may just start doing that.

I read your names and began to giggle uncontrollably.

Maybe I'm just in a mood to be entertained, but both your character names AND your avatar made me laugh. Personally, your NO avatar is one of my favorites so far.

ScruffyTheJanitor

Jul 17, 2009
Random names that still sound vaguely like actual names.. never anything with numbers. Sometimes the name will make transition from game to game.. but it's a fairly large repetoire that i work from.

mercenator3000

Apr 7, 2009
I used to always name characters after myself, but when I got older I realized I was becoming an egomaniac and decided to just go with the whole random name thing. This starts to get a little difficult after creating dozens of Morrowind and Oblivion profiles. Typically, for those, I'll just pick a name that kinda sounds like a dark elf name (cause I always play a dark elf). Though I did once make an Oblivion profile with Jesus as my character. XD

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
I have mild OCD so I normally HATE coming up with "random" names or anything along those lines, I go crazy over-analysing it and it takes me days to come up with something that should take minutes, that's why I just tend to use some variation of the name "Pandora", I started using it like 5 years ago and I've just stuck with it ever since.

I also always use 92 if I need numbers, it was the number that a friend randomly picked when they made my first hotmail account years ago, and I just grew used to using it, if for whatever reason I can't use 92 then I use 50 because it appeals to my OCD.