i try to go for names that sound interesting in my head XD
Hasko
Jackonis Jamasin
Demons Pleasure
Random Neckchewer
are a few examples

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Well for any Game it is ether Blumiere or Bleck! But for SOul Calibur 4 it is ether names of characters that already exist or names of characters who i turn them into such as Gilgamesh or Odysseus and lets not forget Hades and Persephone!

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
<color=purple> I sometimes get creative and think something up, but i usually just go with my name or the default or something.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I sometimes name my characters after characters in other games or books or such. Such as in WOW my name is Banesmited. I took Bane from a Star Wars character and added smited (cause I is a pally, *****). Usually I just pick names that seem to fit with the world my characters are in.

Ironboot

Mar 9, 2010
I always call me characters Zenith or Zephyr... I think I have about 4 characters called Zenith in Dragon Age now. They relate to my name in a way since they are equally long and start with the same letter.

sansai

Mar 31, 2010
I name my characters after a fashion by the mood at which I find myself.

I may be in a serious mood and just come up with something like Ignacious. Other times I just call them something ridiculous like Jenna Tulwartz in the case of a woman, or Craven Moorehed for men.

Ooooorr as I tend to find myself, I will go with my own online handles Sansai or Uncle Oalof.

And then occasionally I have a spot of fun and find a foreign word that represents a prominent personality or physical trait of a character.

Like the Japanese word for breasts when naming Tifa from FF7.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I use a few. Either Stowy McStowstow (and if I'm able to, or feeling like it, I'll add in "Archduke of Stowland, Heir to the McBaffbaff Dynasty, Master of the Bo Staff" at the end), CrazyMcNinja, or McNinja.

In WoW, I generally stick to two: Malkanis (I saw Mal'ganis as a name in WC3 editor, and so I switched it up), or Silithus (after the zone Sithilus in WoW). Other than that, I try to be creative, but I usually end up looking for named, then messing with them. My brother on the other hand, named his Mass Effect 2 character "Thundah" so his name is Thundah Shepard.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I have a few diffrent names for each type of character I use.
The names I use most often are:
Dante (Sorry)
Daniel
Ralon
Zalis
Templar

Last names:
Praytor
Lightsbridge
Riverside
Patterson (as in the scientist)

Other than that I pick names from books or other games, eg "warden". The names I pick seem mundane comapired to most of those posted so far.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I usually name them after characters from books.

For instance if they're an assassin then Kalam or Apsalar.

Or if they're awesome then Anomander Purake

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I just give them random names that pop into my head. Preferably, not after someone I know personally.

Sometimes I name them after another game character or an anime character.

NeoNexus

Apr 3, 2010
I once in Dragon Age made a Character named Boreale and named the dog Commander. An obvious throw to..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbRGg3e1b68

Otherwise I always just name people randomly, or as a result of inside jokes.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
I name my male characters
Ezekial
Tiberius
Wolfgang
Tiberius Wolfe
Kain
Isaac
Shane

My female characters
Jane
Stephanie
Violet
Amara
Amaranthine

I usually name pets
Alexander
Tiberius
Max
or Shannah.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
most of my male characters are named thor - my old nickname. female characters are either named akira - i like that name, aneka - 10 brownie points if you know what that is from, and tahiri - from star wars.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
meganmeave said:
I generally try to pick something random and interesting sounding.

Though I have gone the humorous route on occasion. After I read the PA strip on Dragon Age I named my dog Barkspawn thereafter.
Oh, Barkspawn... So brilliant. So simple.

If ever there was one thing I wish I could say I came up with, it would be the name Barkspawn.

... or Microsoft. That'd be good too. And more profitable.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
I go with the name that best fits the character concept that I feel like playing or, in the case of NPCs, the first thing my mind associates with them at the moment.
Some examples-

Jade Empire-
Master Killer-an arrogant kung-fu master who seeks power at all costs and fame that comes from proving that strength. What better way to prove that one is the best than by killing the best. That just made what came later in the story all the more fortuitous (name-wise).
Broken Fist-just the opposite of the above. One who tries to avoid fighting when ever possible and takes the non-lethal outcome whenever available if a fight does break out.

FallOut 3-
Bombshell, Heartburn and Rei Shine(Good,Evil and Neutral Females).The last of them is Asian with blue hair if that helps you grasp the pun in her name better (if you even want to).
Thanatos is THE man and he is evil all the way.

Mass Effect-
As long as it stars with an S and is semi-religious, I'll go with it, be it Soma and Seraph for paragon women or Solipsis for a renegade male. Exceptions are German (self explanatory for a blonde haired, blue eyed character) or Halo. He's a pretty cool guy. You know the rest.

Dragon Age-
Love Thief is a noble (as in from a noble family)rogue who will just as soon whisper sweet nothings into someone's ear while being completely insincere as slice it off to get her way without regard for petty things such as race or gender. She schemed her way into the royal family so I'd say that worked out just fine for her! Her dog is named Blood Bath, however. Nothing clever for the simpler half of this early game duo.
Retard-core is a dwarf who will never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity due to his bad temper and crude attitude. He just has to be that much tougher to make up for all of the lost allies, rewards and the like.
Vulgarius (a warrior from a noble house)does whatever it takes to get the job done and turns up the most favorable outcome for him and his own inner circle, even if it means siding with madmen and murderers.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
Aylos, Indecizion, Koruptor the three i usualy stick to, however i like to name my pets Wakingstreak as he is a gaming friend of mine and i know it angers him :D but i do do the pun things like Taurentino or warriors called I.Q and yeah rofl.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
Da Joz said:
Usually my characters are named after little inside jokes my friends and I have, or fagballs.
Fagballs.

Thanks to Mr. Croshaw, there's probably someone who'll name their kid that. If not the next generation of gamers entirely. And it'll have to be a single name, like Madonna, Prince, and Cher.

I can see it now... "President Fagballs Wins Landslide Victory."