Naming Your Characters.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I used to hate coming up with names, but now i think i'm quite good at it :D

Disgaea is my favourite game for name-makery. Anything fits with most characters, you just give them any personality you want. It's like silent-protagonists on a mass scale!

I've got names like Lumo, Crunch, Razer, Echo. Actually i just came up with 2 of those on the spot, now i need to go make 2 more characters before i forget them! :3

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I name everything after what I'm interested in at the time and usually follow that same theme throughout the game. Right now it's Heroes but before that it was Watchmen.

Basically, I'm not creative enough to come up with my own names so I steal someone else's.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
Rombor said:
I think names are among the most difficult to make up, both in games and when writing. I always want the name to fit into the game universe, which makes it even more difficult. Name generators are therefore often my friends.
I think that's true to a degree. Finding the right name to fit a character's personality and look can be difficult, but that's only when you're after a more serious experience.

There's being serious, and then there's Fagballs. It all comes down to what kind of experience you're looking for. Generally in writing I try to keep it serious (unless it's a comedic piece, obviously). And games I frequently go the "ridiculous-as-possible" route.

TheSquirrelisKing

Mar 23, 2010
I had a scholar / bard (not the D&D class, an actual bard) / historian character once. Named him Pen Anquil.
Ya, the DM tried to beat me to death, but was too busy laughing.
*Edit* Oh ya, had an evil character in Fallout 3 and I named him Krang. No idea where that came from, I must have been on a TMNT binge that day.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I call just about everything brandon237. If not then crysischeese or Darth Xian. That's pretty much it.

EDIT: If it is going to get mutilated I'll call it Isaac Clarke out of habit.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Kantinos

I love that name. Kantinos is just a fucking awesome name. I use it more than I should. I think I made up that name, I don't know if it is from anything...
It's a good name. I haven't heard it before, and Google just spits out a bunch of random and obscure photographers and someone's Facebook profile.

So... I deem you Kantinos the First!

I hereby swear fealty to you and your superlative title.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
jaydub47 said:
Horatio Moustacheface, for everything except WOW.
Too bad I just swore fealty to someone else's character name. I think I love you. The name's THAT good.

Rombor

Mar 29, 2010
J. Reed said:
Rombor said:
I think names are among the most difficult to make up, both in games and when writing. I always want the name to fit into the game universe, which makes it even more difficult. Name generators are therefore often my friends.
I think that's true to a degree. Finding the right name to fit a character's personality and look can be difficult, but that's only when you're after a more serious experience.

There's being serious, and then there's Fagballs. It all comes down to what kind of experience you're looking for. Generally in writing I try to keep it serious (unless it's a comedic piece, obviously). And games I frequently go the "ridiculous-as-possible" route.
Yeah, that's true. That's actually quite typical of me, to always be so serious about my games; in that sense at least.

I just remembered about an old, let's call him aquaintance, of mine who named his character class in Oblivion "Assfuck". Consequently the game asked him: "Are you sure you want to be an Assfuck?" That was quite fun.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
Copy Clerk! I just noticed! Bask in the golden aura of my 55 glorious posts!

Err-- back on topic. Names! Uhh... Spleen McTruncheon?

destroyer383

Mar 23, 2009
I name all my characters Destroyer or Aleroth or somthing similar but i somtimes name them somthing completely random like Deszom Schpid or Pruvi Kynda.

relish

Nov 27, 2009
Da Joz said:
Usually my characters are named after little inside jokes my friends and I have, or fagballs.
This, well except for the fagballs part although that made me giggle. :)

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
My mane character will almost always have a name beginning with A. I don't know why but they will.

troth

Jun 8, 2009
Troth is pretty much my go-to name. O random syllables that sound like a DD monster.

EX. Thaan-ma. jasamach. Bulantafarinthrach.

Well.. Maybe not the last one.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I usually call most of my characters Randoms or some variation thereof. Yes, I am aware of the inherent irony in having something that's always the same be the word 'Random'. If it's something like a racing game in which I know the name won't matter much then it'll be something like RaNDoOoOoOoOM!!!!11!

Aeons ago, when I played Counter-Strike, I went by the handle Nobody. 'Nobody has planted the bomb!' 'Nobody is joining the counter-terrorist team!'

I've decided that whenever I create a character in a fantasy setting I'll name it after medicine. Think about it. Tylenol the mage. But since I hate fantasy I haven't had a chance to put this to the test yet.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
The Random One said:
I usually call most of my characters Randoms or some variation thereof. Yes, I am aware of the inherent irony in having something that's always the same be the word 'Random'. If it's something like a racing game in which I know the name won't matter much then it'll be something like RaNDoOoOoOoOM!!!!11!

Aeons ago, when I played Counter-Strike, I went by the handle Nobody. 'Nobody has planted the bomb!' 'Nobody is joining the counter-terrorist team!'

I've decided that whenever I create a character in a fantasy setting I'll name it after medicine. Think about it. Tylenol the mage. But since I hate fantasy I haven't had a chance to put this to the test yet.
Q: "Commander, the Orcish threat is on our very doorstep and the situation looks dire. What shall we do?"

A: "We WILL triumph, but I cannot deal with it unless I have Prozac. I NEED Prozac. Now."

Oh, man. I'm sorry. That was lame.