Naming Your Characters.

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
When I go with a female character in SP games I usually go with something gender neutral like Robin or Kim and if i'm taking a male character I usually calls him something cool like John Shepard :p

In Multiplayer games I go with WestMountain or something like xXNinjaCatProXx :p

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I really try to pick names fitting to the setting and character i wanna play. Orks get orcish names, dwarves dwarfish names, post-apocalyptic wastelanders..well just regular names if their vaultpeople and a little brutisher ones if their more raiderlike. Well yes i'm a roleplayer, even in singleplayer games.
There are a few names i got to like a lot in my games, one good guy name, a neutral/chaotic name and an evil one. So in standart games i dont have to think that long.
(and i want a instakilling device for stupid names on RP-servers)

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
What with me having no life I've gone and built myself a program that makes ridiculous Viking sounding names for me, all I do is set that program running for 2 seconds and pick my favourite:

Rodmar Womendoer
Kaetiloy Bombzipper
Paul Afternoonpauser
Bardi Birthdaysoaker
Gudrod Armyexperimenter
Heriolf Drumutilizer
Vestar Gooseenlister
Dan Campqualifyer
Holmstaein Grandmotherrocker

I think I'll take the first one.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
My nickname, (as you can tell from my username) given to me by my best, mate is Crash so I just call all my characters Crash

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
I usually come up with creative names. But I usually use my own name wherever possible so when dialogue incurres, I feel like they are talking to me, thus giving me immersion. (And sometimes I sneak in a Lord in front of it, so they call me Lord Ethan =D)

penguin645

May 13, 2009
My favorites have been the following:

FF1 team of Warriors:
Joktar
Ultima
Rehoboth
Xain

All the names sound very warrior like, and so I went with them.

I use Joktar for anytime I need a big guy who smashes things. It's joke-tar, and just sounds like something an orc or something would be named. "Me Joktar, me smash!"

I might have a female character (usually a rogue or equivalent) and I name her Oriana. Oriana means "Sunrise" or "Breaking Dawn." Just a pretty name...I might name my daugher Oriana someday...if I can get the wife to agree.

Thein is another name I use for guys. Stems from a story I'm writing, and is based on a made up language I found someone making on the internet. Just sounded cool.

All time favorite, though, was a gamer tag a friend of mine had a while back for Halo. He made his tag "An Old Man." The ensuing hilarity came whenever we would see on the screen:
"You have assassinated An Old Man" or
"You have been assassinated by An Old Man"
or "You got stuck by an Old Man"
"You have killed An Old Man"
Made us laugh lots.

Mr. Bojangles

Nov 13, 2009
My username on many places is Wertler so I generally pick a variation of that.

For example in Oblivion I was Wertlone

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Depends. Usually just Sturm, or Sturmdolch if I can't use Sturm for whatever reason.

My guy in LOTRO was called Farothor Sturmberg. Faroth is Elvish for hunter I think.
My enemy in Pokemon Gold is called LENO because he's a dick, and people with the name LENO are, too. Also, my Cyndaquil is called Firefox.
My dog in Dragon Age was called Loki...

I don't have a set formula. Just whatever sounds good/makes sense I guess.

Abbyrose07

Mar 31, 2010
I name every character I create Chuck Norris...lol just kidding. I am boring and not creative so I usually just pick some random name or let others be creative for me by looking up a random name online that looks somewhat interesting.

J. Reed

Nov 13, 2009
seanez said:
Normally puns, or spoonerisms.
I made the comment "none of my lands are rounding" on Bad Company 2 a few days ago. I make Spoonerisms quite regularly, actually. Don't usually name characters after them. Though I may look into giving them puns for names. Could be funny.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
If its the character, i call him my irl name, "Dave".

If its a pokemon, "Dickface", "WankSock" or "Simon".

Diet Chaos

Aug 21, 2009
In most games, I don't have the choice of naming my characters.
Recently, however, if I name my own character, as a male it will be Tyler, and female, Taylor.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
In Mass Effect 2, I named my character Ernie. It was pretty funny when a guy with the name of a Sesame Street character was threatening to splatter several different flavors of brains over a wide variety of surfaces during the course of the game's conversations.

Rombor

Mar 29, 2010
I think names are among the most difficult to make up, both in games and when writing. I always want the name to fit into the game universe, which makes it even more difficult. Name generators are therefore often my friends.