Naughty Dog: Uncharted 2 'Impossible' On Xbox 360

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Uncharted for me= Male tomb raider and Tomb Raider suck big fat cocksicles. Uncharted can eat me as far as i'm concerned

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Hmm, whatever will xbox 360 owners do without the uncharted franchise?
Here let me begin this one, ahem:
Go make some toast
Go play on one of the 360's omfg this wuldnt w0rk on ps triple lolz
Go make fun of the previous statement
Watch paint dry

Admitidly this is a little harsh, but wasn't the first uncharted a big load of average in bague land, rating a mild yellow on the one to rainbow scale and capping it all off with a remarkable bland but pretty by the bagel society?

Edit: Oh just thought of another for the list, Go play tomb raider but pause frequently to draw a penis and scrawl over her boobs in a permanent marker.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Not that I'm an Xbox fanboy (actually, i'm a PC gamer primarily) and nor have I played Uncharted or know much about Uncharted 2. But I see absolutely no reason why this game has to be 25GB in size. It's not some massive RPG right? Just a good-looking third person adventure/action game. Take something like Oblivion, which on the PC can fit onto a single-layered DVD (4.35GB) and that is a huge game with tonnes of data. Yes, the high resolution textures and what-not have to be taken into account too, but from my layman's perspective I see no reason why this cannot fit onto a dual-layered DVD which the Xbox can read.

So I don't think it's the Xbox having limitations, it's just these guys doing crappy data compression.

Crysis looks better than this, fits onto one dual-layer DVD and has large open environments with meticulous detail. Crysis 2 is also being developed for both the PS3 and Xbox360 alongside the PC and also looks better than this... So whoever is quoted in the article is talking out of his or her inflated ass =p

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
If Crytek can get CryEngine 3 running perfectly on 360, then these guys clearly aren't trying hard enough. Seriously, CryEngine 3 looks absolutely amazing, literally everything is rendered in realtime, so i see no excuse here, other than the size, which is understandable. Although i am wondering why exactly this game is taking up 25 GB, that's freaking huge.

Ambitious Sloth

Aug 1, 2009
The reason is the two systems use different hardware.

To manufacture a game like Uncharted 2, one that really shows of what the PS3 can do you use was has built in to work with. It can use Blueray, which hold a lot more information than other discs. The PS3 was made for higher quality games than it competitors could make and it excels where it can. Unfortunately this isn't with perfected game play since it hard to create anything extremely complex with there being exploits in it or having it become unwieldy. So game makers keep to the same mechanics they use in other games instead focusing on something easy like graphics.

The only reason it's impossible is because of the specialized parts of the game code that work solely with a PS3 if it wasn't as costly to change it then it could be on both systems but for making a game like this, all of the budget should have already been spent.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Rusty Bucket said:
If Crytek can get CryEngine 3 running perfectly on 360, then these guys clearly aren't trying hard enough. Seriously, CryEngine 3 looks absolutely amazing, literally everything is rendered in realtime, so i see no excuse here, other than the size, which is understandable. Although i am wondering why exactly this game is taking up 25 GB, that's freaking huge.
Because, as people will discover, that is not all GAME CONTENT filling that 25 gb... it's the same data copied over and over and over to reduce disk read and ultimately loading times. it's not a newly discovered trick with the blu-ray... they've been doing it for a while now. It's just short-cutting so that the reader can access information faster.
I suspect it has VERY little to do with the actual game data and engine requiring massive amounts of space.
Want an example? MGS4.

But I can tell you this much... If this game doesnt sell like gangbusters after it's high production costs, you can bet your ass you'll see an Xbox port.
Because the bottom line is PROFIT.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
HyenaThePirate said:
Rusty Bucket said:
Because, as people will discover, that is not all GAME CONTENT filling that 25 gb... it's the same data copied over and over and over to reduce disk read and ultimately loading times. it's not a newly discovered trick with the blu-ray... they've been doing it for a while now. It's just short-cutting so that the reader can access information faster.
I suspect it has VERY little to do with the actual game data and engine requiring massive amounts of space.
Want an example? MGS4.

But I can tell you this much... If this game doesnt sell like gangbusters after it's high production costs, you can bet your ass you'll see an Xbox port.
Because the bottom line is PROFIT.
So when they say that there's no way it could ever possibly fit on a Multi-layered DVD because of its stupidly huge size, they were lying?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I hope they can back that up with something more than a really nice looking Tomb Raider remade by an RE4 fan.

I'm guessing this guy never heard of that RPG on the 360 that required several discs.

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
I have a better reason for Uncharted 2 to not be on the 360: It's predecessor was a console exclusive game.

I don't want to play the sequel to a game I never played...

CompanionCube

Aug 5, 2008
The most realistic graphics in the world can't fix the problem of crappy level design or other game flaws.

darkroot

Jan 2, 2009
25 gigs of uncompressed bull.
There isn't a single game that is more that 15 gigs for the pc and I get the same graphics as the ps3 on my computer.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
lull0idz, xbox sorta pwnt.

I just wish the xbox could get either blu-ray, or some similar technology. DVD is outdated!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008

[small]Okay, okay, I'll stop using the picture.[/small][HEADING=2]When it's not relevant! Haha![/HEADING][small]etc[/small].

In other news: Crysis PC version on max not possible on consoles, and Bobby Kotick is the devil. This is one of those things that didn't need to be said by them, in a way, but whatever.

Nincompoop said:
lull0idz, xbox sorta pwnt.

I just wish the xbox could get either blu-ray, or some similar technology. DVD is outdated!
Why? Besides this, Rage and MGS4, there have hardly been any games that really required Blu-Ray.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I have to throw my oar in here, I'm sort of an Xbox fanboy. Not completely, because I stuck with Sony until the PS3, when I suddenly went straight to Xbox 360 instead of forking out for the PS3. I wanted to get Uncharted. I really did. But obviously with no PS3, I couldn't. But somehow, given Naughty Dog are owned by Sony, I can't help but think that this stinks of monopolisation. Sony just don't want to see a potentially great (note use of the word 'potentially') game end up on a rival console. So they release this statement. Almost every game or indeed any piece of software I've heard of for ages doesn't use the entire amount of memory they claim to, so it's unlikely Uncharted 2 will either. Hence, why not release for Xbox as well, especially with the FF XIII concessions Square gave the Xbox? To me it just sounds like Sony are hedging their bets, and in this climate, I don't blame them. Still sucks though.