Need some comedy Anime to improve my mood...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Does Jojo's Bizarre Adventure count? It's pretty fucking hilarious despite being action-oriented.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
"Welcome to the NHK"

It's an anime about a guy who develops really heavy anxiety issues and becomes a "hikikomori," a person who withdraws from society.
Not only is it hilarious, it'll make you feel a lot better about your own life in comparison to the protagonist of the anime.
Lilani said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
And I second the vote for Welcome to the NHK.
.. you're both cruel. it may be funny to outsiders, but it's soul crushing to watch if you can relate to it. that was the most depressing anime i'd ever seen.
PedroSteckecilo said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
"Welcome to the NHK"
I dunno... might end up feeling too sorry for the main character to laugh at it, I know what it's like to lose control of your anxiety and neurosis... though that might also make it a better watch knowing what the characters are going through.
if you can relate, and you want to be cheered up, don't watch it. stay away from it.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Akytalusia said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
"Welcome to the NHK"

It's an anime about a guy who develops really heavy anxiety issues and becomes a "hikikomori," a person who withdraws from society.
Not only is it hilarious, it'll make you feel a lot better about your own life in comparison to the protagonist of the anime.
Lilani said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
And I second the vote for Welcome to the NHK.
.. you're both cruel. it may be funny to outsiders, but it's soul crushing to watch if you can relate to it. that was the most depressing anime i'd ever seen.
PedroSteckecilo said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
"Welcome to the NHK"
I dunno... might end up feeling too sorry for the main character to laugh at it, I know what it's like to lose control of your anxiety and neurosis... though that might also make it a better watch knowing what the characters are going through.
if you can relate, and you want to be cheered up, don't watch it. stay away from it.
I second this. If you're anything like the main character, you won't be laughing that often. Me myself, you could say that i have a lighter case of whatever the protagonist of NHK had. I mean, all of those paranoid thoughts he has, a lot of those i can relate to. Not the whole "conspiracies everywhere!" part, but more like, "everyone on the streets is laughing at me behind my back", "my life is a failure", and so on. So, yeah. It was a very very good anime, with an awesome soundtrack, but wouldn't call it very funny. It was depressing as hell, quite often.

But some stuff that i found really funny was Great Teacher Onizuka (loved it, and the overall message it gives), and i found Excel Saga to be very funny, tho a few of the episodes in the middle felt not that hilarious. Binbougami ga was pretty hilarious. And Ping Pong Club. Tho careful with that last one. Some of the stuff in there can be very disturbing to some people. But i laughed hard, most of the time.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Fappy said:
Does Jojo's Bizarre Adventure count? It's pretty fucking hilarious despite being action-oriented.
Would you say it's Slayers/Nadesico funny or like Full Metal Alchemist/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop funny?

Essentially while Slayers and Nadesico had serious moments I would call them Comedy Series's overall whereas FMA/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop were "more serious" series's that happen to also be quite funny.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Azumanga daioh all the way. It's a bit slow humor at times, but it's great.

An example of the show:

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
PedroSteckecilo said:
Fappy said:
Would you say it's Slayers/Nadesico funny or like Full Metal Alchemist/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop funny?

Essentially while Slayers and Nadesico had serious moments I would call them Comedy Series's overall whereas FMA/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop were "more serious" series's that happen to also be quite funny.
I would call it Gurren Lagann funny if I had to compare it to another anime. It really is the perfect blend of action and comedy with the "serious" moments invoking more humor than anything else (even deaths of important good guys).

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Would FLCL count?

Although I suppose it's less comedy and more.....nonsense? It's still pretty damn good and got quite a few chuckles out of me.

And man...dat soundtrack!

If you do give it a look, be sure to watch the dub rather than the subbed version.....there's a sentence I never thought I'd use.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Oh dude, you should so check out Madoka Magica! Funniest thing this side of the moon, trust me.

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
Someone else on here mentioned Cromartie High School, and I'd second that. A series about a normal kid who goes to a high school filled with morons and delinquents. One of the most off-the-wall shows I've seen.

Another I'd recommend is Genshiken. A slice of life show involving a college otaku club. Quite a bit of comedy and probably my favorite anime of the genre.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Sounds like you need some Bobobo-Bo-Bo-bobo! in your life!

Because explaining it would be far too complex because I'ms till not entirely sure what it's about besides a dude who figths with nosehair, here's a clip chosen at random:

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Howdy all...

I've been feeling out of sorts lately and I could use some laugh packed animation to brighten my mood. I'd prefer something in the "full on comedy" genre rather than something that is also funny like Trigun, Samurai Champloo or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Personal Favorites
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Martian Successor Nadesico
The Slayers
Full Metal Panic: Ffomoffu?!

So... anyone got anything for me?

Captcha: Out of Sorts! How did it know?
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (Daily Lives of High School Boys). Come on people, how has this not been brought up yet?

Also you could do much worse than Gintama. Hell, I dare you to do BETTER than Gintama. It's also a great all around show, with amazing action and tear jerkers, but overall there's a comedy focus.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Gone Rampant said:
Oh dude, you should so check out Madoka Magica! Funniest thing this side of the moon, trust me.
Oh dear. This cannot go well... x-D

I'm not going to spoil it, but comedy isn't exactly the best way to describe it. More like- okay I'll shut up now. =P

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Japanese comedy makes people laugh? Huh. Personally it makes me want to die of bleeding out. I guess thats just me then.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Fappy said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Fappy said:

I would call it Gurren Lagann funny if I had to compare it to another anime. It really is the perfect blend of action and comedy with the "serious" moments invoking more humor than anything else (even deaths of important good guys).
I dunno where shows like Gurren Lagann fit on my comedy o' meter... I guess I'd primarily class Gurren Lagaan in with things like FMA or Trigun since most of the second half of the series is fairly serious... in an over the top action mecha kind of way... not really a "pure comedy" as in the end it has a 50/50 mix of Comedy/Action-Drama rather than being slanted more towards comedy.

FLCL is something I've always considered more about the surrealism than the comedy... but I guess it's a comedy... hard to class it as anything else...

But yeah, I've seen Gurren Lagann, FLCL and definitely want to stay away from "long form" shows like Naruto or One Piece which spend more time drawn out melodramatic battles than making jokes, for the record I do enjoy those shows when they're funny... but generally I don't consider them Comedies because of how much time they devote to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT and character melodrama.

Gone Rampant said:
I see what you did thar... nice try but I'm familiar with what Madoka Magica really is.

digital_critic

Mar 18, 2013
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan are my recommendations. the former being a action-oriented comedy with giant fighting mechs, and the latter being a slice of life comedy about an angel living with a human to stop him from inventing a way to keep women under the age of 12, thus making them unable to die of old age.

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
My bride is a mermaid, cromartie high school, fairy tail, and The world God only knows

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Nichijou man. Fuck yeah Nichijou. Seriously, one of the greatest comedy anime ever. Watch it. In fact, why HAVEN'T you watched it yet?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
You should watch Seitokai no Ichizon

It is really colorful and a parody of school comedies that likes to break the 4th wall and make references

Theres also Seitokai Yakuindomo and that one has 2 girls that are really pervs and they make anything into a sex joke

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Little Woodsman said:
Irresponsible Captain Tylor....honestly I just can't hype this show enough.
This. A thousand times this. I love this show so goddamn much