Neil Druckman tries to mobilise TLOU 2 fans to vote for it for player choice in The Game Awards Player vote category

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So who were the judges?

Edit: Nevermind, found it on their overproduced website: https://thegameawards.com/voting-jury

oh look at all, all the "mainstream" outlets, none of which I follow in any capacity. How surprising. That was sarcasm. I'm not surprised at all, nor am I with their choice.
Mainstream to you maybe mate, but I’ve never heard of some of them. In fact the three Australian judge entities are utterly unknown to me.

But it’s just a game you don’t like winning awards from a show you don’t respect, voted on by people you hate. I’m sure you’ll get over it soon.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They made perfect sense, accept that like Disco Elysium before it, it proved to be a title that with curation and discriminating taste that gaming can be art.
All games are art.
It's not even some discerning taste thing it just farted smellier farts than more than most so it's themes could be smelt by almost anyone and couldn't be missed so some Games journalists thought it was revolutionary when there's far more complex ideas and themes at play in a game about a floating girl and her magical cat fighting Eldritch horrors.

Who were the judges? There was only that one popular choice vote, wasn't it? Sorry, I haven't paid attention to video game award shows since I was old enough to figure out that they're just paid promotion and sycophants patting themselves on the back.
90% gaming press 10% player votes for all except for I think it was context creator of the year, E-sports personality of the year and Player Voice award.

Anything I don't like = Paid off. Maybe a game during hard times that instead of resorting to escapism and make us face our demons head on should be praised.

Weebs like you will never acknowledge a game like TLOU2 will be good, ever so why should any critic heed the player's choice opinion. Instead you will hold on to Metal Gear and comment on how deep the commentary is yet scoff at anything coming from the likes of Druckmann because there is no character wearing a skimpy outfit with an excuse for it.
Doesn't have to be paid off just high on their own farts.
TLOU2 did some stuff good.......... thinking it's some great piece of art though is a no, because it's plot was nearly as ham fisted as the final season of Game of Thrones As for Metal Gear........you want to know how good it is in it's commentary? It literally predicted the present state of the internet 19 years ago.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
And TLOU2 won almost every catagory it was nominated for. Including Best game. Holy fuck journalists making no fucking sense.
Come on, you were railing on the game and the studio before it was released, rushed through it in a weekend just to have a hot-take thread and confirm your own biases about the game.

Journalists make more sense as generally they can be trusted to rate games at least a little bit more objectively.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Come on, you were railing on the game and the studio before it was released, rushed through it in a weekend just to have a hot-take thread and confirm your own biases about the game.

Journalists make more sense as generally they can be trusted to rate games at least a little bit more objectively.
Only with some games. If a game is politically expedient for them to praise despite not being worthy, they will do as such. It's kinda like Black Panther winning oscars when in fact it was only just a solid/average film.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pfftttt!!! Hahahahahahaha! Game Journalists I've found untrustworthy since 2006 and 2007. A majority of them are complete joke with only a few that stand out and are not just sicking the dicks and clits gaming publishers. Not that user reviews or a lot of individual YouTubers are trustworthy either. Those group of people have a similar problem with the "professionals" having their own sets of agendas and care more about sticking it to the sjw/anti-sjw/minorities/women/whatever than caring about the actual game. I've been able to figure out what games works for me since in my late teens/early 20s. If I need help, I have either a good amount of the people on this forum, or people on YouTube that trust and focus on the game not shit that has nothing to do with anything.

I put the awards show on last night and almost immediately fell asleep.
I fell alseep 2/3rds in to the show. I was mainly there for game announcements anyway. I was tired last night.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
And TLOU2 won almost every catagory it was nominated for. Including Best game. Holy fuck journalists making no fucking sense.
Nah it makes perfect sense.

TLOU2 is a bad pick but its also the sort of game that reviews well. Conventional gameplay, artistic pretensions, high budget and....ugh the ''right politics''.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I played the game twice and platinumed it. I didnt rush anything. And yes the game is a badly written generic action game.

It plays well though. And i do agree it should have won the accessability award because it does make great strides there.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nah it makes perfect sense.

TLOU2 is a bad pick but its also the sort of game that reviews well. Conventional gameplay, artistic pretensions, high budget and....ugh the ''right politics''.
I dunno if it has the right politics other than it having a gay couple and a transperson in it. The game didnt really try to stans out about anything like that. Except the first scene with ellie ahere she has the bar scene for being called a dyke of whatever.

It certainly did deserve best narrative, best director, best sound design, and best game.

If Ghosts (which i didnt like) deserved all those awards more than TLOU2 did.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Democracy! Totally coming back to this thread tonight with some wine, spliff and switch being all like

tenor-10.gif

(They should've had Anita be the one to accept the awards for the chef's kiss finale)
Still playing Hades though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So I'm guessing now that TLoU2 won Game of the Year it means all game journalists are shills and/or idiots, and the award is totally unearned, but if Ghost of Tsusima won this wouldn't have been the case? So... business as usual then?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So who were the judges?

Edit: Nevermind, found it on their overproduced website: https://thegameawards.com/voting-jury

oh look at all, all the "mainstream" outlets, none of which I follow in any capacity. How surprising. That was sarcasm. I'm not surprised at all, nor am I with their choice.
It’s a better sampling than I thought it’d be. Really the alternative is what, mostly temperamental YouTubers?

Anyways, vote faq for reference -

Last edited:

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Surprisingly to some, Kotaku is one of the first gaming outlets to break away from the paeans about TLOU2.

So I'm guessing now that TLoU2 won Game of the Year it means all game journalists are shills and/or idiots, and the award is totally unearned, but if Ghost of Tsusima won this wouldn't have been the case? So... business as usual then?
No.

Now Hades on the other hand...

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Surprisingly to some, Kotaku is one of the first gaming outlets to break away from the paeans about TLOU2.

No.

I am retroactively giving this award to the Final Fantasy 7 Remake because it deserves it, and Neil Druckman is a cowardly prick.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

No.

It's nice to see Kotaku grow a pair for once. I know it's not the first time they've done this, but it's just nice to see.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It's well deserved. A truly memorable game that doesn't try to solely cater to it's main adolescent demographic with primary interest in superhero movies, cheetos and watching videos of annoying youtubers that feel 'robbed' because their generic open world game didn't win.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

If you push over that domino though...

Heck even many indie studios wouldn't stand to win an award.

Anyway, taking the very serious issue of crunch out this, I'm glad TLoU2 won just because it's going to make stupid people mad. And I'm even more glad Laura Bailey won for her performance as Abby for the same reason.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's well deserved. A truly memorable game that doesn't try to solely cater to it's main adolescent demographic with primary interest in superhero movies, cheetos and watching videos of annoying youtubers that feel 'robbed' because their generic open world game didn't win.
I disagree. It did not earn shit. Especially with how the employees were treated. Graphics (which will be dated in a year or two) and Laura Bailey are the only thing that deserves credit where it's due. Plus, my girl voices Chun-Li and is a woman of many voices.

I'm glad TLoU2 won just because it's going to make stupid people mad.
And then what? They get mad, move on at some point, and the whole process starts again with nearly everyone not learning a damn thing. I don't like those assholes either, but them throwing a biatch fit does nothing for me. I gain or lose nothing from their wangst. As I said before, it does not change my GOTY; especially when deck is stacked against other games for stupid or elitist reasons. The only reason I tuned in for the Game Awards was just to see Max_Dood and pals watching it, the game announcements, and Geoff (you precious cinnamon bun).

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And then what? They get mad, move on at some point, and the whole process starts again with nearly everyone not learning a damn thing. I don't like those assholes either, but them throwing a biatch fit does nothing for me. I gain or lose nothing from their wangst. As I said before, it does not change my GOTY; especially when deck is stacked against other games for stupid or elitist reasons. The only reason I tuned in for the Game Awards was just to see Max_Dood and pals watching it, the game announcements, and Geoff (you precious cinnamon bun).
Well, that's pretty much the only thing one can get out of the game awards, such as they are. And I'm not going to pretend like they're any more or less biased than if Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, or Hades won.

Last edited: