Neon Genesis Evangelion

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
fieryshadowcard said:
Eddras said:
as much as this is true Tenchi Muyo was far worst
Hey now, how do you figure that? Tenchi Muyo only lasted 13 episodes with maybe only one movie that was actually in MUYO's continuity (ie. not Universe or In Tokyo). Evangelion lasted 26 and has had about four different movies about its original continuity. Within half of Muyo's run, Tenchi was already leaning towards getting it on with one of the girls of his harem (even if it was the especially bitchy one that would result in incest and had that comical lisp in the English run), and would ultimately have been staring down an entire intergalactic military fleet led by her father, who was hellbent on stopping such a union if the show had not gotten cancelled.

Besides, Tenchi had the reason of common sense for not making a move. No matter who he picked, he would have died. He was probably waiting for the day when he could rely on the Lighthawk Wings to protect him from all of the things, including bad decisions.

Shinji, on the other hand, never made a move for no reason. Not on mom-clone 2000 (which he had no way of knowing at the time the window was wide open), not on Asuka (who he jerked off ON in the first movie, and who before the first series ended was wondering why he HADN'T made a move on her... before she completely suffered that mental breakdown), not on MILFsato who flat out said she'd have done him in the first movie (before dying horribly if I recall, but still) and will definitely not make a move on YOLOswag Mari.

TL;DR: Tenchi would've tapped something eventually, Shinji would still be trying to motivate himself with "I mustn't run away" chants.
Well that's kind of the big problem when talking about Tenchi Muyo is that you have the OVA series and the TV series which while having the same characters are vastly different in terms of story and quality. Seems to be a trend with the series creator as it was the same thing with El Hazard, the OAV series was great, then they brought out a supplementary TV series that was poorly written shounen crap. Now I loved these shows (OVA versions) back in the day but it's really sad the trend they set. Has a lot in common with chicks in professional wrestling, they're their to titillate the audience with sex appeal, but always have to keep it strictly PG-13.

Jan 22, 2011
well shinji was stuck alone with rei in unit in orbit around earth for 15 years. I think he got plenty of tang until he was brought back down to earth.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
hazydawn said:
I really can't understand what people like about that anime. I guess it's because it has some philosophical/existential themes that people think it's somehow deep or really clever when all it does is to throw these complex ideas in one anime and suck at the rest.
I admit I haven't heard some of these ideas(for example some about identity) until I entered university and probably wouldn't have if I didn't go there but these ideas aren't an accomplishment of the anime and it does not deal with them in a good way.
I'm reffering to the original btw I couldn't be bothered to watch the newer ones after that waste of time.
I really can't understand people who have a need to state their opinion like a fact about this show (any other really but this one somehow is worst in that regard). I guess it's because they think they are so intelligent and clever that they understand everything about this show... Seriously, both groups (lovers and haters) act like twats claiming to know everything.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Oi oi, you forgot Misato! I was yelling "fuck herrrrrrr" more than any other character, it's totally (not) possible :D

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
I didn't like 3.0, but I can't deny how clever it was. It was essentially a huge, well-orchestrated fuck you to the people who want NGE to be something it's not. 2.0 was the bait. It was a more traditional story, with more character agency and a more cliched finale (Boys risks the world to get the girl. I cheered). The Thing is, everything Shinji did in 2.0 made the world worse. 3.0 is about a young boy who can't grow up, stuck in the ruins of a place he can't escape from. I don't think there's a better metaphor for people STILL expecting Eva to go back to a straight up robot show than that. I don't think it's a coincidence that Shinji slept for 14 years; that's exactly how old NGE was when 2.0 was released.

I didn't particularly like the film, I think Anno's attempt to make a point was undermined by the obvious attempt to sell more action figures and body pillows, but I do like how each of the Rebuild movies has prompted a reevaluation of the one that came before it.

Side note; I love the bleating of Eva fans. "you don't get it, man! You don't get it! It's all deep and stuff." You can always tell how insecure someone is about their tastes when they break out that line in response to a joke.
I feel sort of the same way. I didn't like the experience of watching it - pacing was slow, or rather it just feels that way because the previous movies covered like what, half a dozen episodes worth of material each, and this one was the first one they actually took their time with, brings in way too much new terminology with no explanation, etc. but thinking back on it, I love it, especially because it's a bait and switch.

Hopefully it made Shinji's problems a bit more understandable since a lot of it gets caught up in the "How can you not want to pilot a kickass giant robot?" reaction.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Garrett said:
I really can't understand people who have a need to state their opinion like a fact about this show (any other really but this one somehow is worst in that regard). I guess it's because they think they are so intelligent and clever that they understand everything about this show... Seriously, both groups (lovers and haters) act like twats claiming to know everything.
Sorry that I did't add imo the end to make it agreeable xD
Don't treat it like it's something so unbelievably complex noo human being is capable of understanding.
The ideas this show presents aren't original. And yes, I believe myself to be intelligent enough to understand this anime. I'm not intelligent enough to understand everything Nietzsche tried to express but in this case I think I am.
Furthermore I don't think I exaggerated by saying that I can't understand how people can like this anime, I really can't.
I also can't understand how people can watch brainless reality tv or listen to Justin Bieber. It's just unlikeable imho ^^
Ok, now I exaggerated, it's not on the level of those two examples. :S

I can understand G-Force's reasoning, though just because it was the first anime to focus on the psychology of the characters doesn't make it good in a modern day perspective... imo
And I don't think the character's are thought out that well.
"Making a character sociopathic or autistic doesn?t constitute ?depth?"

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Has nobody posted it yet? *looks around* Nope, well this is for a strip that made me laugh my ass of Grey.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Nothing will ever get resolved in Eva as long as it's primarily a massive merchandising profitmonster (Eva soda machines!). They can't afford to stop remaking and stretching it out because people still buy any old dumb Eva brand crap they pump out.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...you want him to 'fuck' the sort-of-clone...of his mom?

o_O

Also:
Tenchi Muyo ain't nothing like this.
If you're gonna hate, at least know what you're talking about.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Well to be fair, he did manage to blow Kaworu's head off.

And he would have made it with Asuka if he didn't choke it at the last minute.

But then again, who said ever Asuka doesn't like choking. Girls always become their mothers; am I right, fellas, or amirite?

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
TheTygre said:
Well to be fair, he did manage to blow Kaworu's head off.

And he would have made it with Asuka if he didn't choke it at the last minute.

But then again, who said ever Asuka doesn't like choking. Girls always become their mothers; am I right, fellas, or amirite?
You are a terrible person.

Good one, man!

If you want sadder than that look for this girl:

From the manga: It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Here's the deal with Evangelion:

If you don't need therapy, you will by the end of the series.
If you needed therapy, you won't by the end of the series.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Eddras said:
as much as this is true Tenchi Muyo was far worst
Fairly certain the reason behind that was because Tenchi had the thirst.

Also: Good way to tell you've aged is when you stop asking,"Why doesn't he marry the princess?" And start asking,"Why isn't he getting with the ready and willing blue-haired chick!?"

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
hazydawn said:
Garrett said:
Sorry that I did't add imo the end to make it agreeable xD
Don't treat it like it's something so unbelievably complex noo human being is capable of understanding.
The ideas this show presents aren't original. And yes, I believe myself to be intelligent enough to understand this anime. I'm not intelligent enough to understand everything Nietzsche tried to express but in this case I think I am.
Furthermore I don't think I exaggerated by saying that I can't understand how people can like this anime, I really can't.
I also can't understand how people can watch brainless reality tv or listen to Justin Bieber. It's just unlikeable imho ^^
Ok, now I exaggerated, it's not on the level of those two examples. :S

I can understand G-Force's reasoning, though just because it was the first anime to focus on the psychology of the characters doesn't make it good in a modern day perspective... imo
And I don't think the character's are thought out that well.
"Making a character sociopathic or autistic doesn?t constitute ?depth?"
Oh, so you understand that writer was under severe depression when writing this show which resulted in such characters that have traits of his personal struggle and conclusions? You also understand that there is no such thing as "objectively good/bad"? Somehow I doubt it.

And I don't claim this show is too complex. On the contrary, I think there is really nothing that needs special understanding to it. For people with certain problems or experiences it might be deep and intelligent because it explores things familiar to them. For people with lack of such experiences it might be as flat as the Earth itself[1]. Symbolism is there probably to complement the story. If you're going to touch on religious subjects, symbolism is very nice way to complement it and make it more believable. And at least for my level of knowledge about christianity/judaism, what is in NGE actually makes sense and doesn't look like it's thrown at random. What's there to understand? You like well put symbolism and/or such characters? You'll probably like the show. Otherwise you probably won't. Pretty simple, no?

And just because something isn't original, that doesn't make it worse.

I can never understand this need in people to justify their liking/hating of something. It just seem to me like they're really just trying to convince themselves that they are superior to others... And ofcourse they justify it by saying "I get it" and proceed with anylisng things for whatever is or isn't there. Seriously, if you try hard enough you will find deep philosophical subjects in Twilight. Not because they are there but because you want them to be there. It's like listening to a teacher analysing a poem, when she goes like:
"And part "And he looked through his blue curtains" means that he was feeling blue" (apparently there are certain traits and/or moods associated with colours, idk, I didn't make that up). Because the character in the poem, so totally every day after waking up is like "Hmm, today I'm feeling a bit green, I'm going to hang green curtains" and it's so not because blue rhymes with glue which is in very next line. The worse part is, the teacher might actually be right. Maybe author did use blue curtains to show character current mood. Only author knows it.[2]

[1] Just in case someone didn't catch that, it was a joke :p

[2] Interesting story about it. An experiment was done in my country. Popular author of poems (which died some time ago) was given highschool test about analysing her own poems. She barely got a passing mark. The author of the poem barely got passing mark when analysing her own poem, you know, one that she herself wrote.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
blackrave said:
good to know I wasn't only one screaming this inside my head while watching this anime
"Bang the redhead, dammit" was the line that constantly went through my head

P.S.Although to be fair, "Bang the redhead" is my usual solution to every single problem.
I think "BANG THE REDHEAD DAMNIT!" could be a t-shirt, poster, political campaign slogan.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Legion said:
I get the impression you really don't like Shinji, Grey.

Rei being a clone of his mother. Kaworu being an Angel.

Also, Erin's left hand is in a suspicious place considering what she is saying.

Casual Shinji said:
And I hate to be that "You're missing the point" guy, but... yeah.
To be fair, it happened in the last comic as well. I think Grey gets the point, but is just choosing to ignore it for comedic effect.
I actually think this joke works heaps better than the old one. I got a special place in my sympathy department for Shinji, but I do feel that some kind of intimacy with someone stable (so that those three out) might have balanced him out. That and Prozac.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Why yes, NGE had it all. A coming of age story with robots, a protagonist with a tosa-complex, gratuitous amounts of metaphysical bull and one hell of a confusing ending. But man was it a great show.
But the comic makes an excellent point. At one point I identified more with the father then the son.