Neon Genesis Evangelion

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
blackrave said:
good to know I wasn't only one screaming this inside my head while watching this anime
"Bang the redhead, dammit" was the line that constantly went through my head

P.S.Although to be fair, "Bang the redhead" is my usual solution to every single problem.
If there was more banging of redheads (and also more redheads for the banging), the world would be a much better place.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
And the comics are still going as far as I know. Evangelion actualy has more drama than Kimi Ni Todoke and it's not nearly as much fun. I really like evangelion, but they should have sticked with giant robots and conspiracy theories and left the drama to someone else.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I get the impression you really don't like Shinji, Grey.

Rei being a clone of his mother. Kaworu being an Angel.

Also, Erin's left hand is in a suspicious place considering what she is saying.

Casual Shinji said:
And I hate to be that "You're missing the point" guy, but... yeah.
To be fair, it happened in the last comic as well. I think Grey gets the point, but is just choosing to ignore it for comedic effect.

Aug 31, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure not sticking it in the crazy applies to everyone on that show. Plus Shinji's ass never did recover from how massively his dad screwed him over before the show started.
Sticking it in crazy is AWESOME. Those warnings are just for the amateurs.
True dat, you just have to know when it's time to fake your own death and move to another country.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Eddras said:
as much as this is true Tenchi Muyo was far worst
hey now Tenchi had a very good reason for never making a move, self preservation. no matter who he chose he would die horribly.

OT: I personally prefer the ending made in the manga Evangelion Re-take. now it borders on the line between regular manga and hentai but its worth the read.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
LordLundar said:
Eddras said:
At least Tenchi Muyo was funny about it. NGE is just depressing.
Indeed, that's the inherently unsettling part of Evangelion that will never change. They can remake the anime, talking about 'we'll do it much better now', but it's still an anime about the Apocalypse which can only be stopped by a cadre of the most fucked up teenagers EVER. Let by the most fucked up dad EVER. That only gets you so far before you realize it's just Hideaki Anno playing a game of 'how sad and frustrating can I make the viewer'.

The anime has a niche audience, and I can appreciate what it tried to do. It's just not for me.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Erin's rage always ensures a fun time.
Yeah, but it's also helped by the fact that she seems to give up at the end. There really should be name for that trope where a character has a build-up of anger and then releases it into completely apathy. It seems to be very effective.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Eddras said:
Oh GOD yes. Shinji at least had the excuse of VERY low self esteem and some legitimate mental problems alongside everyone he was attracted to being crazy in their own rights. Tenchi though? Tenchi is just THE king puss of anime. Surrounded by gorgeous girls, and unlike 90% of anime harem protagonists he can legit marry any of them that has an interest in him, yet he still has the gall to whine about his situation.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Eddras said:
Hey now, how do you figure that? Tenchi Muyo only lasted 13 episodes with maybe only one movie that was actually in MUYO's continuity (ie. not Universe or In Tokyo). Evangelion lasted 26 and has had about four different movies about its original continuity. Within half of Muyo's run, Tenchi was already leaning towards getting it on with one of the girls of his harem (even if it was the especially bitchy one that would result in incest and had that comical lisp in the English run), and would ultimately have been staring down an entire intergalactic military fleet led by her father, who was hellbent on stopping such a union if the show had not gotten cancelled.

Besides, Tenchi had the reason of common sense for not making a move. No matter who he picked, he would have died. He was probably waiting for the day when he could rely on the Lighthawk Wings to protect him from all of the things, including bad decisions.

Shinji, on the other hand, never made a move for no reason. Not on mom-clone 2000 (which he had no way of knowing at the time the window was wide open), not on Asuka (who he jerked off ON in the first movie, and who before the first series ended was wondering why he HADN'T made a move on her... before she completely suffered that mental breakdown), not on MILFsato who flat out said she'd have done him in the first movie (before dying horribly if I recall, but still) and will definitely not make a move on YOLOswag Mari.

TL;DR: Tenchi would've tapped something eventually, Shinji would still be trying to motivate himself with "I mustn't run away" chants.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Legion said:
Also, Erin's left hand is in a suspicious place considering what she is saying.
I do believe you might have a point, though I'm not sure if the faces detract or add to any such accusations

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well I never watched the show but I can relate based on a few animes I have watched. Needless to say I had more difficulty brething after each panel.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Hmmmm....Is the issue that Shinji hasn't made a move in all this time, or that we have all been yelling at him for just as long with no improvement yet in sight?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zykon TheLich said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sticking it in crazy is AWESOME. Those warnings are just for the amateurs.
True dat, you just have to know when it's time to fake your own death and move to another country.
NOT SO LOUD! My girlfriend reads this site!

Farther than stars said:
Yeah, but it's also helped by the fact that she seems to give up at the end. There really should be name for that trope where a character has a build-up of anger and then releases it into completely apathy. It seems to be very effective.
I call it "Amaranth Syndrome," mostly because it happens to me all the time. I don't ragequit, I ennuiquit.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Grenge Di Origin said:
Really, you'd think with all the complaints Erin has she'd complain about 3.33 sucking the most. It'd be the most topical and the most relatable subject here.

Yes, 3.33 sucks.
Personally, 3.33 has the issue of having gone a different path from the past series. If Anno's past themes are present then this is the point in the series when Shinji, as the otkau surrogate, gets a slap of reality and crumbles under the pressure and inability to cope. He tries to fix the world based on his closed off observations and world instead of the world around him ( which explains the "learn about the world" line). I will agree though that Wille and the crew should have tried to explain stuff to him better but the criticism that Gendo's plot makes no sense is a bit odd; we was the type that makes plans based on the patterns of people that are long reaching and only are understood until the very end. If the teaser for the next movie (which may not be accurate) is correct, Shinji learns about the world and himself while Nerv and Willie make their final moves

Please note that this will only apply if the themes and analysis are the same as in this link End of Eva analysis [http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/s3e2-end-of-evangelion-and-the-audience-author-membrane/]

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Nowhere Man said:
So I guess Rebuild 3.0 is more of the same?
Kinda worse.
(almost) Everyone now hates Shinji, for totally understandable reasons, and this simply reinforces his own fears that everyone hates him.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
Oh god, this reminded me of the time when I was reading the Inheritance Cycle series. Just like this.

Why did I read those books again?