Status
Not open for further replies.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Can I put in a vote for all dance sequences are horrible by default? Anyone who can stay awake through old musicals deserves an award.
Yea, I am not really " in" to the dance sequences, but I was not "in" to them when Brittany Spears, Nicki Minaj, or Cardi B does them either. It was blatant in the movie though that this was just kids trying to be the super stars they idolize and was clearly presented as such.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I said what I said.
Of course you did. LOL
I think you may need some oxygen. I have to wonder how long it is going to take to get that smell, taste out of the air , walls, furniture, carpets, curtains in your house. Ugh you probably have to wash ALL the clothes in your closet too after this is over.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Yea, I am not really " in" to the dance sequences, but I was not "in" to them when Brittany Spears, Nicki Minaj, or Cardi B does them either. It was blatant in the movie though that this was just kids trying to be the super stars they idolize and was clearly presented as such.
If I'm understanding correctly, this movie is actually relatively inoffensive, uncomfortable but on purpose, and the controversy is entirely from the marketing?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Of course you did. LOL
I think you may need some oxygen. I have to wonder how long it is going to take to get that smell, taste out of the air , walls, furniture, carpets, curtains in your house. Ugh you probably have to wash ALL the clothes in your closet too after this is over.
Yes.

Reactions: lil devils x

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Did you watch it?
I saw a few seconds of the scene involving dancing on social media.
Considering that is what I object to, I have absolutely no interest in subjecting myself to this film.
Anyone who can stay awake through old musicals deserves an award.
Don't insult musical theater. I will fight you IRL on this. I love musicals and I am ready to die on this hill.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
If I'm understanding correctly, this movie is actually relatively inoffensive, uncomfortable but on purpose, and the controversy is entirely from the marketing?
I am guessing from watching it that due to the creator and their religious community, that it is likely being reviewed by a heavily religious community as well. Which is Also much more alarmist about what many just consider normal activity of girls dancing and goofing off. There are really no actual sexual scenes in the movie. The girl misunderstands and acts out like a child would do, but the guy treated her as a child accordingly and she as hurt by that because she wants to be seen as a woman and not child. No one inappropriately touched girls or anything like that. The marketing + religious backlash sounds like the primary controversy.

Sort of like those Southern Baptists, Amish and Quakers down here that think girls should not be allowed to wear shorts and should work hard in the fields.. Her " auntie" worked her hard doing chores and talked about how she was given away as a child bride and other horrible stuff seriously screwing with the kids head.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I saw a few seconds of the scene involving dancing on social media.
Considering that is what I object to, I have absolutely no interest in subjecting myself to this film.

Don't insult musical theater. I will fight you IRL on this. I love musicals and I am ready to die on this hill.
Yea, that was actually portrayed as a negative in the film. Did the clip you saw also show how the mothers in the audience were upset and then when the girl realizes she wasn't getting the reaction from the audience she thought she would she ran off the stage crying and went home to her mom and played jump rope with the other kids? I think what you saw may not have been portrayed in proper context.

This movie is not what people think it is.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
When my apartment building burnt in a fire, Everything I was able to save to take with me had to be washed several times before I couldn't smell it anymore. I feel bad you have to do that with everything. Likely have to paint the walls to get the smell out.:(

Incense may help with it later, if you find one you can stand. I like black cherry myself.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Yea, that was actually portrayed as a negative in the film. Did the clip you saw also show how the mothers in the audience were upset and then when the girl realizes she wasn't getting the reaction from the audience she thought she would she ran off the stage crying and went home to her mom and played jump rope with the other kids? I think what you saw may not have been portrayed in proper context.
I saw that.
I stand by my statement.
It's possible to portray something as bad without involving minors twerking. How old are the actresses playing this, by the way?

Let me put it this way: The message, which I'm not contesting, does not excuse the method of delivery. Allow me to make an analogy: I think animal cruelty is wrong. If I were to pay someone to commit actual acts of animal cruelty on film, it would probably offend people and cause them to revile the overt actions. But that doesn't excuse my methodolgy.

Likewise, paying underage actors to perform this way, regardless of how negatively it is portrayed, is not acceptable to me.

Now, had the actresses been legal adults who just so happened to look young, I would have far fewer objections.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I saw that.
I stand by my statement.
It's possible to portray something as bad without involving minors twerking. How old are the actresses playing this, by the way?

Let me put it this way: The message, which I'm not contesting, does not excuse the method of delivery. Allow me to make an analogy: I think animal cruelty is wrong. If I were to pay someone to commit actual acts of animal cruelty on film, it would probably offend people and cause them to revile the overt actions. But that doesn't excuse my methodolgy.

Likewise, paying underage actors to perform this way, regardless of how negatively it is portrayed, is not acceptable to me.

Now, had the actresses been legal adults who just so happened to look young, I would have far fewer objections.
The girls are 11-12. I don't see a problem with kids twerking because twerking isn't sexual. We have kids shaking their booties since long before the 1970's shake your booty song has been around. I see it as WRONG to sexualize kids for twerking, the twerking itself isn't wrong however. Twerking isn't any more sexual than our gymnastics routines growing up, which were not sexual either. People take videos of their babies in their sagging diapers shaking heir booties, but suddenly because the girls are tweens they are no longer allowed. I see the baby doing it in front of the TV no more sexual than the girls doing so at 11. It is the same thing. The perception of the viewer is the problem rather than the action itself. I have more of a difficult time understanding why the viewer has those thoughts about the kids than I do understanding why the kids are goofing off and having fun. It is wrong to view them that way, their dancing is just what you expect kids to do.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I would have NEVER guessed this. Oh my....
People can always surprise you.
Every year my hometown puts on a series of musicals and I always try to go to at least one. This year, I was unable to. Due to the whole Covid situation.

Go ahead, twerk, does that make you feel sexy? It is about balance and muscle control, not about sex. LOL
Yes, and men read Playboy for the articles.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
People can always surprise you.
Every year my hometown puts on a series of musicals and I always try to go to at least one. This year, I was unable to. Due to the whole Covid situation.

Yes, and men read Playboy for the articles.
Maybe because I am a girl, I don't actually see anything all that " sexy" about twerking, It isn't the same muscles for sex, those are inside...it is more silly fun than anything else. I view it like doing the splits. Guys always try to sexualize the splits and gymnasts in general, but that doesn't mean it is. Balance and muscle control. It isn't like if I saw a guy twerking that would make me want him.. It is like watching a clown. LOL

I like theater, but tbh the " musical" part of any play makes me want to find something else to do until it is over. XD
If the whole thing is a musical.. I may need to go find something in my car and not come back..

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Maybe because I am a girl, I don't actually see anything all that " sexy" about twerking, It isn't the same muscles for sex, those are inside...it is more silly fun than anything else. I view it like doing the splits. Guys always try to sexualize the splits and gymnasts in general, but that doesn't mean it is. Balance and muscle control. It isn't like if I saw a guy twerking that would make me want him.. It is like watching a clown. LOL
I see a rather strong difference between balance bars and butt-waving.

I like theater, but tbh the " musical" part of any play makes me want to find something else to do until it is over. XD
If the whole thing is a musical.. I may need to go find something in my car and not come back..
There's some great musical songs. The soundtracks for 1776, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Meet Me in Saint Louis, among others, are excellent.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I see a rather strong difference between balance bars and butt-waving.

There's some great musical songs. The soundtracks for 1776, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Meet Me in Saint Louis, among others, are excellent.
You HAVE seen floor routines right? We have more than, pommel horses, uneven bars, balance beams.. rings. We do quite a bit of crotch and butt waving in the air too lol.
This is different how?

I intentionally avoided any of our normal positions that may accidently give a hoo hoo shot here.. These are the MILD ones..

Status
Not open for further replies.