Netflix Launches New, Low-Quality Streaming for Canadians

hermit purple

Dec 6, 2010
Netflix's film selection in Canada is minimal at best. There's really no reason to get its service unless you regularly enjoy crappy movies. But then even if you do, the download cap will strangle you to death. And the download cap isn't going anywhere because that's how ISP here keeps their monopoly and they lobby the government very hard to keep it that way.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Marter said:
Now if only they'd have our video selection rival that of the US Netflix, we'd be all set...
Second!

Also, I've got a swell idea Netflix. Why not lobby our government into forcing ISPs to get rid of those fucking download caps eh?

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's...nice?

I guess.

I can't imagine life with any sort of cap on my intranets.
There isn't any finite cap of course. They just charge you extra for it. Still outrageous, though.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
And to top it all off, the telco/cable companies are trying to do an end run and set the CRTC on Netflix because they act like a broadcaster now that they transmit movies in Canada.

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/03/30/netflix-deal-heats-up-content-battle/

Monopolies have to protect themselves somehow so they may as well use their buddies to do it

Varun Popuri

Feb 6, 2011
Delusibeta said:
When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.
When life hands you lemons, you throw them at the telecom companies throttling services like Netflix to make more money.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
wasalp said:
gphjr14 said:
There's not even that many people in Canada you'd think the US would have caps, though I remember a few years ago Time Warner presented the idea of putting caps on internet and there was literally picketing outside their office.
isn't AT&T trying to implement one(if they haven't already).
They're just putting it into official writing, which might make them sound horrible, but they're not the first company with a cap.

Comcast has an unofficial cap of 250 GB per month. If you go over it, you'll get a letter the first time, a special fee the second time, and they will terminate your service the third time.

They've actually won having their unofficial cap in courts already, even though they advertise unlimited use.

Drummah

Dec 30, 2009
Marter said:
Now if only they'd have our video selection rival that of the US Netflix, we'd be all set...
SERIOUSLY.

It's ridiculous. Some nights I sit down with a glass of wine, and just can't decide between Euro Trip, How High, Pootie Tang, Dude, Where's My Car?, or Low Budget UFO docs.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
wasalp said:
gphjr14 said:
There's not even that many people in Canada you'd think the US would have caps, though I remember a few years ago Time Warner presented the idea of putting caps on internet and there was literally picketing outside their office.
isn't AT&T trying to implement one(if they haven't already).
They're just putting it into official writing, which might make them sound horrible, but they're not the first company with a cap.

Comcast has an unofficial cap of 250 GB per month. If you go over it, you'll get a letter the first time, a special fee the second time, and they will terminate your service the third time.

They've actually won having their unofficial cap in courts already, even though they advertise unlimited use.
hmm did not know that, ty. In their defence tough you have to try really hard(in my opinion) to download 250GB of data in a month. Still underhanded that they don't advertise it.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
This is what happens when change occurs, The greedy bastards in control want to still be relevant and get their money.

You have the choice of having to wait for your shows to air and then sit there at a specific time every week to tune in.
or...
Content on demand at the same definition rate whenever you want it and don't have to put up with anything else.

Id settle on option 2 even with forced commercials, I don't see why cable tv is even relevant anymore its like getting a movie package you may only want to see like 6 movies they show a month but you're paying for all the other crap you don't intend on viewing.

They are going to fight for dear life, unfortunately this is the human race, we are able to move onto bigger and better things, but the people who control the old ways will burn down everything to hold onto their monopolies.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zero_ctrl said:
I like the low-quality Jpeg.
I think the impact was minimal, don't you?

Here's my choice as a rural Canadian consumer: I can stick with Xplornet, my current provider, which may or may not have a cap but you'd never know it because the service is so god-awful useless that for all practical purposes it's impossible to hit anyway (seriously, at peak usage hours my connection is essentially dialup without the reliability) or Bell's wireless "Turbo Hub," which gives me decent speed (around 200 kb/sec downloads) and is capped at 10 gig per month with a 1.5 cent per meg overage rate, which means that if I use, say, the HUGE amount of 20 gig in a month, my bill is going to be pushing $250.

Canada's a pretty awesome place to live, all in all, but yeah, the internet situation is a mess.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
That's why i love how a few ISP/media corps in Quebec (canada) control vast markets and charge us full price for increasingly crap service.
Heck, the only place where you get some sort of competition is in the big cities, anywhere outside it and you get much poorer coverage. Where i live its just one company that got a monopoly over our whole area. Guess what they do with their monopoly.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Marter said:
I agree, I appreciate that someone actually has Canada in mind for a change and is offering us a choice to help with our shitty situation. But they really need to work on getting more stuff available.

With Rogers myself, speed wise I really can't complain, my downloads can go as fast as 1.2MB/s. So I really wouldn't need anything faster than that. But 60GB per month just doesn't fly, this isn't the 90s.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
It's nice that Netflix is thinking about us but it seems a little unnecessary since the CTRC bill has already been vetoed.

Alexridiculous

Mar 15, 2011
I live in Canada, my internet is not capped. I also get great speeds. Don't think that everyone has to deal with that up here, it's just certain ISPs.