New Devil May Cry announced

Ph33onix

Jun 4, 2010
Hmm a brown haired thirty something with a bad attitude and a smoking problem... you don't see much of those in western games *cough* Starcraft2,InFamous,Prototype,Farcry2,Turok,Uncharted2,etc,etc..*cough*
ok so not the smoking but still xD

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I just have one question:

[HEADING=1]Why the fuck is this called Devil May Cry?[/HEADING]

It doesn't seem to have anything in common with the original games short of the protagonist's name and his use of gun. He doesn't look like Dante, doesn't fight like Dante, doesn't have the same weapon as Dante, doesn't have a similar cocky voice as Dante.

This should be an original IP, not a fucking cash-in on the DMC name.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Welp, that looked crap. Nothing in that trailer said Devil May Cry to me.

Things in the trailer:
Some whiny, skinny brat.
A black-haired protagonist.
Generic urban settings.
Dull-looking enemies.
Boring gunplay.

Things that are in Devil May Cry:
Dante.
Demons.
Incredibly fun and interesting gunplay and combat.
Swords.
Big red coats.
Snarkiness.

You know, I'm not sure why this exists as a reboot. The series isn't that old - it hardly needs rebooting, and what will it be rebooted into? My guess is the same game, but with a completely different protagonist and setting, while alienating fans of the series as it is now. I admit, Ninja Theory could do a good job, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but from that, I'd say its off to a bad start. The only thing I can honestly say I enjoyed in that trailer was Dante's living staff/whip weapon, but I hope its not there as a permanent replacement to his sword, seeing as that was a gift from his father, and linked to the most awesome backstory that has been constructed.

I guess time will tell if this is any good. I'm sceptical, but I'll give Ninja Theory a chance. Here's hoping its at all good.

knuckles2812

Jun 6, 2009
okay, why does dante look like a keanu reeves rip off... I mean not even a good one. At least make him a just a LITTLE beefier, he looks like they chained up a skinny little geek who really wouldn't be much of a demon hunter whatsoever. I know the original Dante wasn't all that buff, but at least it seemed believable

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
gregitaly said:
OHH NOO CHAAAAAANGE! NINJA THEORY IS RUINING EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! MY LIFE IS OVER!!!!!!!!!NINJA THEORY IS TEH SUXS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DANTE DOENS'T HAVE BLACK HAIR HE AHS WHITE HAIR, AND HE IS ONLY 5 FOOT 8 WHEN IN PREVIOUS GAMES HE WAS 5 FOOT 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH NOOOO, NOW NINJA THEORY HAVE RELEASED THE DICKWOVLES AND THEY RAPIN' EVERYONE HERE!
OMGZZ U R SO RAIT!!!!!

xD

JWRosser said:
I don't know of anyone now who would look at this and think "Oh wow, Dante smokes! He's so much cooler than when he was older and didn't smoke!"

I May Cry
The fact that he's smoking might mean Ninja Theory is trying to emphasize his rocker personality, maybe we'll even see him doing drugs and having plenty of intercourse (who knows, right?).
I mean, the fact that he's a demon and likes rock music is just half the way through to become the next Ozzie Osbourne. He even looks a little bit more sadistic too, slowly putting out his cigarette in some monsters head.

Anyway, I think it would be interesting to see how Dante would probably look and act in a more realistic and grittier world (not that it's a new thing in games and movies nowadays).

Not that I'm playing Devil's advocate here (see what I did there),but people are just so afraid of change that it's surreal sometimes. I'm not even that optimistic about this reboot either, but if you ask me for a reason to give any reboot a chance this is all I can say:

Bryan De Palma's "Scarface"

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
So they took a perfectly functional series with an incomplete story and rebooted it? It's not like it's an old series, it has a current gen incarnation already! If it's like the trailer, then the gameplay looks good (now that Bayonetta showed how to do the combat system properly) but the artists, the level designers, the character designers, they all need to be shot... or at least have their wages cut until the can produce something a little better!

Might I offer a solution that doesn't involve an entire redesign though? Don't call it Devil May Cry. It'll only sell less to the fanboys (ie. me, though I'm not the kind that misses a good game experience based on a name) the way they have it now, because that is not Dante and those are not Devil May Cry environments.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
faspxina said:
but people are just so afraid of change that it's surreal sometimes
It's not that we're afraid of change it's that we don't want change. Dante was just fine the way he was.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Aiddon said:
I'm all for judging things fairly and taking a series in bold new directions (being a defender of DMC4 and the newest Metroid), but this is where I draw the line. Fans NEVER asked for a reboot of the series. There was no point. They also never asked for an aesthetic and tonal shift like...THAT. Dear BUDDHA has NT missed the point of the series like a champ.
Honestly I love the new Metroid and DMC4 wasn't half bad either, but I've got a problem finishing games so I haven't finished either.
I am not a fan of the DMC series, but I've tried to so hard, I just slip out of them at some point though I enjoy them all, I might check out this one if it comes for Xbox.
Then again, I have to agree with what everyone says. That does not look like any Dante I've ever seen.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Dante looks less and less like a demon every day. Shouldn't he have horns by now? Why does anybody even care about the DMC series anyway? Bayonetta kicked it into gaming oblivion by just being released.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Someone from Capcom just posted on their forums that his appearance has something to do with the story.

Erm, how? Is his hair gonna bleach itself magically as we play the game? I have a feeling that it's something as "complex" as him deciding to change his life just because he was in that asylum; which makes me want to facepalm. I so wish this turns out to be just a crackhead and not Dante.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
Thoughts go as follows.

The character design is fine in and of itself, but a chainsmoking black-haired delinquent really doesn't feel like Dante at all. It would almost be better to have this kid be a completely different character. There have to be more then a handful people in that world of theirs that spend their time beating the crap out of unholy abominations, so a troubled kid walking around claiming to be the fabled son of sparda isn't a stretch at all, really.

The action looks fine for the time being. The game has a more gritty look to it but it doesn't seem to have lost the over-the-top charm we know and love. So all told, I'm cautiously optimistic here.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
I guess even Devil May Cry when. . .

Seriously, this is so unneeded. Did anyone else get extremely irritated when the characters mentioned the name of the freaking game 12 times in every cut scene?

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
A more detailed picture of the new Dante. He's been...arrested by police?

Note that the city is called 'Limbo' city. There's a theory that this DmC will take place in Purgatory, hence the whole desolated city look.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
this isn't devil may cry, it has nothing in common with DMC. if i had watched the trailer without sound i would have had no reason to think it was a DMC game. if this ends up being a god of war clone I'm going to be so pissed. the DMC games have always been one of my favorite series, i even like DMC 2 for fucks sake!

goddamnit, change his hair back to silver and i'll give it a chance, it was the only thing about his appearance that gave you an inkling that he wasn't all human.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
faspxina said:
but people are just so afraid of change that it's surreal sometimes
It's not that we're afraid of change it's that we don't want change. Dante was just fine the way he was.
I feel your pain mate, but sometimes we have to learn move on (melodramatic, I know), I don't know if you liked DMC4 (I liked it) but I think we can all admit the formula was starting to get pretty old, not only gameplay but story-wise.

And for those who's only real complaint the color of his hair, check the trailer again... see that reflection on the top of his head? What if it's not a reflection, but maybe growing white hair?

At first I thought it was just a reflection (and maybe it is) but notice how this reflection stays in the same spot of his head in every scene, even when there's not supposed to be there...

They obviously know the key elements of his appearance: red coat(more like red jacket in this case), guns, and ancient demonic superpowers. Why wouldn't they remember the hair? I'm just throwing this out there but it seems to me that they're trying to tease us with it as a publicity stunt.

It certainly took a big chunk of my time today, discussing about it. xD

Teh Magic Man

Feb 4, 2010
aside from the terrible new dante character design, this looks like it could work.

the combat is certainly varied and over the top, like one would expect from the series. at one point he was punching things, then he had a sword, then it turned into the whipfist from prototype and picked up a car..... yeah, pretty crazy stuff. guess well just have to wait.