New Devil May Cry Set In "Parallel World"

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Therumancer said:
Well to be fair, as people who played "Nocturne" can tell you, this wouldn't be the first alternate world we've seen Dante involved in.

That said, as DC comics proved, overdoing this kind of thing creates more messes than it solves and then leads to more fan outcry when things get too complicated and they decide to condense things back down to one universe again for a while.

That said, I don't think Dante is a character they needed to mess around with to this extent to begin with, they just needed better writers and game designers for him, not a complete character reboot.
You, sir, are brilliant, and I and my legions of armored killing machines agree with you.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
vansau said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Maybe if Ninja theory made games that aren't complete shit I would actually care about this

vansau said:
Team Ninja
Shouldn't it be ninja theory? i r confus
Ugh. Yes, it should be. I can't believe I did that. Fixed now.
There were ninjas involved Mike, that's what counts.

(Please read the previous sentence in the Crow T Robot voice of your choosing.)

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
So now it's a parallel world?

Still not enterily sure about this. Sure the gameplay looks nice but a 30 fps lock? The fuck?

I want my 60 fps hack and slash goodness damn it!

Small lags in a game like this can really fuck up your style meter.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I stopped giving a damn a while ago, but had they came out with this at the start, nobody would have gave a dman also, and they might have even been cool with the idea.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
One thing that bugs me about the new DMC is that it's an origin story, esssentially making it a prequel to the prequel (Yo dawg, we heard you like prequels!)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
gigastar said:
As a fan of classic Dante and not so much a fan of new one, i assumed this at the very start of the debacle.

I just hope Ninja Theory shits out a DMC-standard[footnote]NOT DMC2[/footnote] playable game then we be allowed to forget that it ever happened.
By "debacle", I take it you mean "fans not liking a change in a character's aesthetics".

Basically, that is my impression of the whole thing. I don't have any investment in the franchise itself, so I haven't had the opportunity to get wound up over some character design changes. As a newcomer, I don't dislike the change over the original.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
I'm still not sure such drastic changes were necessary. I can understand that DmC may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the game was doing alright on it's own original merits.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...ales-of-2-million-make-it-all-but-certain.htm

I typically enjoy games with more serious storylines and characters (Bioshock, AA, Deus Ex:HR, Mass Effect), but I always found the over-the-top, self-referential style of DmC to be rather refreshing.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I guess we'll be seeing Ultimate Devil May Cry soon. Come to think of it, how are we going to differentiate the two worlds now? Gonna do something like Earth 1/Earth 2 like DC?

Perhaps in this alternate Earth, we'll see a mustached Nero who isn't a complete pansy.

Let's just hope after the inevitable crossover that melds the two worlds together, we won't later see Superboy Prime punch the walls of reality and make Dante a woman. Or is that something we in fact want?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
This game has now been officially confirmed non-canon? As in...no baring whatsoever on the normal devil may cry, at all?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, it's still a bad redesign, it's still a bad reimagining, it's still had terrible PR so far but....it's not canon, Dante's not gonna be soiled by this! I can actually leave this thing in peace now and just focus on the HD collection. All you people that want this new Dante can run free without snarky comment from me and enjoy...whatever the hell this thing is because, repeat after me folks: IT'S NOT CANON!

Bluecho said:
Let's just hope after the inevitable crossover that melds the two worlds together, we won't later see Superboy Prime punch the walls of reality and make Dante a woman. Or is that something we in fact want?
Internets already done that:

Whether or not it's wanted is something i'll leave up to the internet.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Apparently they wanted it to be less "clique-ish" and that new gamers could get into the series and not feel weird about it but now I guess they're not confident enough that anybody except fanboys who want the same game shoved down their throat constantly and will cry when they attempt to make any change will actually buy the game.

Probably lost me. I've never played the games, but if Capcom really wants to insult my intelligence (yet again) like that, then good riddance.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
This does make me feel a little better. Makes me think DMC5 isnt completely out of the question once their done messing around with whatever this is supposed to be.
^ Pretty much this, Capcom has slowly been losing my customer support and at this point they wont be seeing a dime from me for quite awhile. Should an actual DMC5 show up I'll definetly be their to buy it, but they can keep this half angel/devil alternate reality to themselves, Bayonetta has plenty of angels in it for me and I'm almost 100% positive will remain the superior game when this new DmC hits shelves.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I swear, I'll buy this game no matter what as long as one of the main villains who doesn't die off 'till around the end has a bicycle moustache, monocle and top hat.

KayGee

Nov 7, 2011
Saying it is a parallel universe does not make the game look any more attractive to me. I just feel it is time wasted and a split in the franchise that was unneeded. I think it is a reboot still until I see DMC5. Sorry, Capcom has pulled "Stupid" too many times to count lately.

Seiei

Jan 30, 2011
Sooo... this means that is Devil May Cry doesn't mean Shit to the series right? As I it would be pointless to waste money on it.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
The conversation that took place at Ninja Theory...
"Hey guys... I have a great idea. Let's make Dante new? LET'S MAKE DANTE NEW!"
"Okay... like how new?"
"Like imagine the old Dante, but if he looked like me! That's cool right? I wear affliction t-shirts and have a weirdly cropped haircut, that's a good idea I think!"
"But Tameem Antoniades, people will immediately backlash upon this new design. And once they see you, they'll put two and two together and immediately think that, handsome though you are, this "new Dante" you speak of will all be a ploy to get your face into a video game."
"Naaaaaaah, I don't think so. I DO think that you're fired however. You'll see guys, this will work out great!"

A few months later...
"What do you mean they don't like it? HE LOOKS LIKE ME, DO YOU SEE THIS HAIR THAT IS STRATEGICALLY PLACED IN FRONT OF MY EYES?!"
"We do Tameem Antoniades, but that's not what people think of when they see the Dante they love. This character design is flawed. Clearly you must see this."
"Clearly you'll be seeing yourself out. There's no room for mutiny on this project... unless you're Dante. Then you're a hardcore devil may care rebel. You're a badass in every sense of the word, who makes video games at Ninja Theory and you don't give a SHIT about anyone else. Especially your fan base... We'll see you in Hell... Oh wait we won't, because my new DMC is going straight to heaven it'll be liked so much...."

Months later still...
"Tameem Antoniades, you have to abandon ship! The story is going nowhere, we've lost all sense of continuity, and Capcom is wanting answers for all this backlash! Sir what do we do? WHAT DO WE DO?!"
"We do the only thing we can do..."
*Ring ring*
"Hello. This is Kenzo Tsujimoto, green lighter of all things terrible. How may I help you?"
*explanation*
"I know this is your first rodeo... so let papa bear make it all better... don't cry muh boy... don't cry..."

Today...

"And so you see, you can still have the Dante YOU love, but also fall in love with the Dante *I* love! See? Isn't that... great?"

tl;dr I tried being funny, but I probably wasn't.