New Far Cry 5 trailer showcases the villain.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Silentpony said:
Am I the only one who doesn't care its set in the US? Like...so? They're just crazy radicals, like every other Far Cry game. Just now they kinda' have the same skintone as me.

Oh the offense? I thought inclusion was what we wanted? Finally a game where the white dude is the villain! I was tired of snide British people and vaguely African/Middle Easterners with even worse British accents being the villains.
? not sure if serious.

Volker from farcry 3 was white. Vaas looks like he is in the Aryan brotherhood. the Frycry series has had mostly white villains (1, 2, 3, 5).

Those villains you are describing are pretty darn rare in videogames. The overwhelming majority of villains are white. Hell, lets go through the popular series:

Cod:
MW1: white
MW2: white
MW3: white
BO1: white
BO2: not white
ghosts: white
AW: white
BO3: no idea
IW: white

Assassin creed:
1: white and non white
2: white
brotherhood: white
revelations: white
3: white
4: white
rogue: ?
unity: white
syndicate: white
origins: not white

personally, we have enough games set in the US. The one thing i liked about farcry is that it explored more exotic locations and not, you know, Montana against a bunch of redneck farmers.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'm actually more hype about this setting than I was for Primal or FC4. FC4 turned out to be pretty fun in the end, and not too grindy. Although the characters don't compare to FC3, the setting was great and the scripted setpieces/missions were quite fun. I enjoyed the story in FC3 though. Didn't play Primal.

Setting it in the U.S.A I think is a damn good idea, and not just because "ooh now we have a white, English speaking villain!" It just looks like a really decent change from mountains and jungles. Pick up trucks, dynamite and shotguns and highly customized ARs are always gonna be fun. And fighting cults allows for some pretty interesting motives for both sides (villain and protagonist(s)), and story writing. But we'll reserve judgement for that when the game actually comes out.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Gonna pass on this game. Ubisoft has been cramming so much anti-consumer bullshit into their games that, even if Far Cry 5 doesn't have any of it, that's no promise that some won't be added six months down the line.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dear protagonist/people of the county:

..."call in the Army you twats!"

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
JohnnyDelRay said:
Pick up trucks, dynamite and shotguns and highly customized ARs
But we already had all that.

Hawki said:

The military forces of the United States are not supposed to be used against its citizens. Although I think the story here is that the cult has gotten the government to leave them alone somehow, whether it be through bribery or threats or what have you.

Samtemdo8 said:
And I still think Primal is underrated.
I don't think that Primal is a bad game per se. I just think that it was a total waste of potential.

What I was expecting:

What I got:
Far Cry 3 sans the military hardware.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Arnoxthe1 said:
The military forces of the United States are not supposed to be used against its citizens. Although I think the story here is that the cult has gotten the government to leave them alone somehow, whether it be through bribery or threats or what have you.
Even if that's the case, this is pretty much a rebellion/insurgency/armed takeover situation. I'd have thought the Army would have reason to be used there.

And are we talking state or federal government? Because if the former, I'd have thought the Army operates on the Federal level. If the latter, maybe the National Guard or a state militia could be used?

Nitpicks, admittedly, but there's a reason why it's easier to get away with these kind of scenarios in places like Africa and islands rather than the US.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Meiam said:
aegix drakan said:
Total religious crazy dude the villain? Alright, I can roll with this. :D Gimme my C4, sniper and grenade launcher and lets free us a dozen outposts or so!

I REALLY hope they properly justify why the army's not rolling up after 2 weeks of their shit, though. I mean, there's only so much shit anyone can get away with before finally the government goes "Alright, enough is enough".

I skipped on 4, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get this one.
Well the government is extraordinarily inept at this kind of stuff. Like the people who took over a bird refugee lasted for over a month before peacefully giving up and only being convicted of minor stuff on the end (with many literally walking off free).
The game is a bit more surreal, but not that much tbh.
Eh, the "government is inept" excuse is pushing it with this kind of scenario.

With the occupation of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge, there were no hostages and the FBI wanted to avoid Waco 2.0 so waiting it out like they did makes sense to me. But with Far Cry 5 you got a scenario where the town is already in open conflict and hundreds of people in danger. A situation like this playing out for a month without the government attempting some form of action really stretches my suspension of disbelief. If the main antagonist has a chemical weapon he's threatening to set off if the government steps in then that would make more sense.

On a related note, apparently the game's writer researched the Sagebrush Rebellion while writing the story for FC5.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Samtemdo8 said:
aegix drakan said:
Total religious crazy dude the villain? Alright, I can roll with this. :D Gimme my C4, sniper and grenade launcher and lets free us a dozen outposts or so!

I REALLY hope they properly justify why the army's not rolling up after 2 weeks of their shit, though. I mean, there's only so much shit anyone can get away with before finally the government goes "Alright, enough is enough".

I skipped on 4, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get this one.
I be surprised if the game ends with the Federal Government interfering.

I am calling it now that one of the charcaters you meet in this game in an NSA/CIA Agent inflitrating the place and helping your character.
I suspect as much. The guy will say something hand-wavy like "We don't want another Waco siege on our hands, so we're keeping a low profile; no cavalry".

If they were a tad braver, they could go completely the other way and suggest this is an alternative America that has already collapsed into civil war and no longer has an official military force to spare for some rebellious town in the middle of no-where.

Jan 27, 2011
Meiam said:
Well the government is extraordinarily inept at this kind of stuff. Like the people who took over a bird refugee lasted for over a month before peacefully giving up and only being convicted of minor stuff on the end (with many literally walking off free).

The game is a bit more surreal, but not that much tbh.
It may have taken them a month to stop the bundys and didn't cut off food deliveries or power supply or stuff for ages, but they still had people surrounding the site making sure nothing was happening, and there was no violent crime to worry about. It was a bunch of idiot douchebags with guns squatting in a government building. Not quite worth charging in and risking shooting people over.

maninahat said:
If they were a tad braver, they could go completely the other way and suggest this is an alternative America that has already collapsed into civil war and no longer has an official military force to spare for some rebellious town in the middle of no-where.
Considering this is apparently a doomsday cult preparing to hide underground because of the end of the world (at least that's what they said when I saw them play a bit of the game at my local Game Demo Night), my suspicion is on some natural disaster or a nuclear power plant exploding or something monopolizing the government's response and/or cutting off montana from communicating with anyone else.

If there was photo and video of people being murdered and locked in cages while a crazed cult roamed around with assault rifles, to say nothing of the player character blowing all the shit up with a GPL and C4, it would stretch the imagination if the government was all "Lol nope, don't wanna have another Waco, thanks".

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Catfood220 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
B-Cell said:
meh. its far cry. same recycle ubisoft open world game. FC3 was good but 4 and primal both suck.

maybe if its good it will hold me till Metro Exodus.
Dude, I play many, MANY, shooters in my time. I own all the classical doom-like shooters you enjoy on GOG.com.

I got Duke Nukem, I got Shadow Warrior, I got Blood: On Whole Unit, I got Quake, I got Unreal, all that shit, I even played Brutal Doom.

I get it, but for fuck's sake don't be disingenuous that those games are not recycled aswell.

Doom 1 and 2 are carbon copies of each other.

Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior are the same game in just different coats of paint. Like how Far Cry 3 and 4 are the same game with different coats of paint.

But at its core the gameplay is still fine.

I like Doom like games, I like Metro/STALKER, and I like COD and Far Cry, because in the end their all good games in my eyes.
You are wasting your time.
Right? I can't believe folks still attempt to reason with Brain Cell. If he doesn't completely ignore the reasoning itself, the most you could hope for is a response that has nothing to do with your contribution and is even more nonsensical than his original point hahaha.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gonna call it: Trump, or at least an allusion to him and his administration, will be painted as the arch villain in this game that the NPC antagonist is bowing down to. Never mind he was pals with the Clintons before placing his bid. The story will be full of akward if not subliminal political posing, but I?m mostly interested to see how they portray the landscape of Montana itself. It is incredibly beautiful, especially the areas around Glacier NP and the whole western half of the state. Awesome place for whitewater rafting. Maybe that should be in the game as a mission.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I'm surprised Ubisoft didn't shove their Pre-Order bonuses into the end of the trailer...
No?
I'm the only one?

Fine... Onto the OP:

I like that it's a different setting to what Far Cry had built itself on. (Tropical islands, African Savannah and the Himalayas) Not saying that- (Where is this game set in America?) -Montana isn't a prime location, from the gameplay it's mostly dense forests and grassy knolls...

It's just... Different...
But for the love of... Something special... Do away with the outpost clearing for "More Influence" or whatever... Do away with the tower-climbing to open parts of the map... The hunting I can half-accept to stay as long as we can build everything from the start, with what animals we need but NOT their locations... Hint at where we should look, instead of putting a giant stamp on the map saying "They're here dimwit!"
People too lazy to hunt can use Wiki or whatever, they probably would anyway.

Then again, I've been playing a lot of "The Hunter:CotW" so I may just be in an animal-genocide mood.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
ZombieProof said:
Right? I can't believe folks still attempt to reason with Brain Cell. If he doesn't completely ignore the reasoning itself, the most you could hope for is a response that has nothing to do with your contribution and is even more nonsensical than his original point hahaha.
I don't hold any particular love for B-Cell but I hate gang rapes. Back the hell up, boi.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
This game is gonna be controversial with its subject matter I am certain.
For demonizing religious zealotry? I thought the Internet was in favor of that.
Not anymore. Now it makes you an SJW unless the zealotry you're denouncing is either Judaism or Islam.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Hawki said:

You really, really have an optimistic view of rural law enforcement, don't you?

"When seconds count, the police are hours away!" is a saying around here for a reason.

Also, the police and military are under zero obligation, legally, to protect civilian lives. Warren vs. DC established that.

Jan 27, 2011
hanselthecaretaker said:
Gonna call it: Trump, or at least an allusion to him and his administration, will be painted as the arch villain in this game that the NPC antagonist is bowing down to. Never mind he was pals with the Clintons before placing his bid.
I very clearly recall reading an article where they said "No, we're not doing this to take potshots at trump, he's not president in our game, we were making this game before he even announced he was running".

Now, it's still possible it'll end up with a president similar to him, but I doubt it at this point.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I enjoy the Far Cry games, but I have to say that "cut-scene disempowerement" where the POV character who has been mowing through mooks left and right suddenly gets cold-cocked so the antagonist can monologue freely for ten minutes has been my least favorite part of the games since FC 2- and this trailer seems to imply that this game will feature a lot of that.

Well, that and the fact that trying to parachute/wingsuit through FC4 made trees far more dangerous than most of the heavily-armed henchmen.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Smithnikov said:
You really, really have an optimistic view of rural law enforcement, don't you?

"When seconds count, the police are hours away!" is a saying around here for a reason.

Also, the police and military are under zero obligation, legally, to protect civilian lives. Warren vs. DC established that.
And if there's one thing that rural America really has going for it, it is that die-hard anti-federalism stance and the insistence of doing things your own way. The trope of Small Town Sheriff harassing the protagonist exists for a reason.

Obviously Far Cry 5 exaggerates a fair bit, but if the county Sheriff is on the religious militia's side, who are you going to turn to? The feds? Why would some rural Joe in Montana trust them all out of sudden? In real life, federal law enforcement couldn't evict a bunch of poorly led secessionists without a plan from federal buildings, what makes anyone think they'd do any better when the guys on the other side are motivated, trained and armed with military grade hardware? Imagine the nightmare of being the FBI director that ordered a raid on an entire county and the ensuing blood bath that resulted in dozens of deaths, hundreds of wounded and a martyred religious nut job who's final words are all over the internet.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
aegix drakan said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Gonna call it: Trump, or at least an allusion to him and his administration, will be painted as the arch villain in this game that the NPC antagonist is bowing down to. Never mind he was pals with the Clintons before placing his bid.
I very clearly recall reading an article where they said "No, we're not doing this to take potshots at trump, he's not president in our game, we were making this game before he even announced he was running".

Now, it's still possible it'll end up with a president similar to him, but I doubt it at this point.
Well good on them to address it head-on when others might try to weasel around the issue in some way. In any case the theme is just entertainment to me, but I?d find it funny if they did throw recent political posturing in there somehow in light of recent events.

Mostly though, I?m happy to hear the game?s been in development for at least a couple years. The last Far Cry I?ve played was 2, and if the gunplay is nuanced and solid with no checkpoint bs I may very well end up getting this. As much as I dislike some of Ubisoft?s business practices I had a blast with Wildlands. Still like the Far Cry brand more though.