New GTA Will be the "Largest and Most Ambitious" Yet

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
I love it when marketing people say "The new (fill in product name) will be the most ambitious yet!"
No shit. I thought that since the last one was such a success, they would aim to do a shittier job for the next one so that it would be a worse game and sell less. Because, you know, it makes economic sense to keep consumer on their toes.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Not really surprising, what else could they say? I'm interested in how different Los Santos will be, it'd be fun if everything's just older.
Grey Carter said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Good, because saying "Our game will be just as good if not worse than any previous games" doesn't have the same ring to it.
It would be quite refreshing though. You have no idea how I've longed to type. "Nah, It's a soulless cash in and you're a fucking idiot if you buy it" says bigshot CEO.
Me too, man. Thing is, I'd buy that game just for that comment. I'm rooting for Croteam, they're the only ones crazy enough to say that. Maybe for their next game.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I thought people wanted developers to push forward and try new things, not just rehash the past over and over. For the life of me I don't understand why people want GTA V to be the same as San Andreas. Why not just go play that instead?

ViralBiae

Oct 26, 2011
I wonder if bragging about having such a huge open game world is a good thing. Why not tell us about the stuff that's going to fill the world instead? What will be available for the players to do? What equipment can I get, what activites/minigames are there to play? What side-missions will be available? A massive open world is all well and good, but you've gotta fill it with things for the player to use and mess around with. A sandbox is no good if there's nothing to dig with or if the sand is dirt instead.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Oh goodie, so you just took away Las Venturas and San Fierro, and kept the shitty town...seriously, i dont know anyone who would prefer to spend their time in Los Santos once they unlocked the other two towns.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
I have to be honest, and I know i will be shot down for this, but i'm glad that GTA 4 made the switch from batshit crazy to a narrative-driven story. Saints Row can handle that first part. The thing is, for me at least, running over old ladies and beating people to death with a dildo is only fun for about an hour, then I actually want to go back to the story. In addition, Niko, and to an extent Luis and Johnny, were my favorite protagonists in the series because they actually had some depth to them, as well as a character arc (even Yahtzee agrees with this).

So as long as GTA V can maintain the coherent narrative and well thought out characters, then I'll be a happy camper.

antidark777

Aug 12, 2009
JdaS said:
People expecting this to be San Andreas are probably going to be a tad disappointed. You want pseudo-serious, character driven crime dramas, you play GTA. You want to fly around on a jetpack flinging shit at people and hitting them with dildos, you play Saints Row.
No reason GTA shouldnt have a balance of both.

amaranth_dru said:
And don't get me started on the dating sim, endless calls from "homies" who get mad because you might have just started a mission and can't go bowling with them... "NIKO!!! Lets get drunk cousin!!"
They really messed up there. That only sought to infuriate me. I didnt mind the dating thing so much in San Andreas because you could ignore. GTA IV kept on tea-bagging us with it

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
bluegate said:
How many discs on Xbox360 ? 4 ?
nah it's a disc for every suburb you drive through. heck the whole intro will take at least 2 discs.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Hopefully Rockstar brings back the excellent character customization from San Andreas. There was nothing in that game more eminently satisfying than force feeding CJ until he looked like a small blimp, then having him strafe cars in a jet pack while humming Flight of the Valkyries [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGU1P6lBW6Q]. Bring that back, Rockstar, seriously. Oh, and a proper PC port would be nice.
I second all of that, particularly the proper PC port part (timely and well optimized if you'd please Rockstar). One of the things that was sorely missing in GTA IV was the customization - the stores were goddamn awful and I'm not even talking about the absolutely retarded UI they had. There was a really small choice of outfits and even in that choice, most of the stuff looked rather the same.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I just hope they can overcome the biggest problem I have with all Rockstar games I've played and that's lack of direction. Yahtzee once said that for a sandbox game to work you need a deeply varied world that calls for exploration and/or some kind of clear ultimate goal hovering over head; I say you need both. Okay I'll grant you that the only Rockstar games I've played are GTA III, GTA: Vice City, and Red Dead Redemption, but in all 3 I had the same problem, I didn't know what the fuck I was supposed to be doing. In GTA III I didn't even know who my character was or what the hell he was doing in Liberty City. In Vice City I at least knew who my character was and why he was there, but I still didn't have any real clue as to what I was supposed to be doing. In Red Dead Redemption again at least I know who my character is and why he's there, but there was no way to distinguish the story missions from the side quests so I had no way of knowing how to advance to plot. Since I didn't really feel like doing chores for Bonnie I kinda steered clear of that only to discover once I gave in and did them that that was how I advanced the plot! Oh thanks game, some sort of indication would've been nice.
The other 2 games you haven't played (GTA;SA and GTA4) really cleared up the "why am i here?" debacle. And using the cellphone to guide your next move (without shoving it down your throat) helped progress the story. You should give 'em a try!

Im psyched for GTAV...as long as they bring back car customisation..that was a great game extender!

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Jamash said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
Jamash said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
also one thing I want to be included that didnt appear in IV was maybe little throwbacks to previous games, like in IV I really wanted to see the Mafia Don's mansion and how it changed over the years.
The Mafia Don's mansion was in GTA IV, is was derelict and had change a lot over the years: http://gta.wikia.com/Old_Mansion
Huh, i remember that location, but it looks nothing like the mansion from 3 o_O I suppose I should've noticed from its location but i never expected that was the place.
I remembered it's rough location but I couldn't remember what it looked like in GTA III, however I recognised it (or what it represented) immediately when I found it in GTA IV.

It's like almost everything else in Liberty City, it had been redesigned in GTA IV but it still represented what it was in GTA III.

I suspect the same will be true of San Andres and GTA V, everything from San Andreas will be represented in GTA V, but it might not be in the same location or appear exactly how you remember it.
There better at least be a Grove Street >.>

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Good, because saying "Our game will be just as good if not worse than any previous games" doesn't have the same ring to it.
"This will be our smallest and most poorly made game yet! Yay!"

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Furioso said:
You can't have a "biggest and most ambitious game yet" if you make it smaller than a previous game in the same setting
Freaking EXACTLY. Call me old fashioned, but I always thought 'larger' and 'more ambitious' meant 'has everything from before and then some'. No San Fierro or Venturas? Then no, it is not more ambitious. That's a flat out lie. Making one city bigger is not proper expansion. More detail, perhaps, but not good enough. If it doesn't have every vehicle (and I do mean every one) from San Andreas, then no, it is not more ambitious. If it does not have every feature and minigame from San Andreas, then no, it is not more ambitious. If it's going to retain the ultra-boring nature of IV with cars that weigh ten times their actual weight and forget to pack the fun in, then no, it is not more ambitious.

Rockstar, you've called it. Now you have to follow through.

Pingieking said:
I love it when marketing people say "The new (fill in product name) will be the most ambitious yet!"
No shit. I thought that since the last one was such a success, they would aim to do a shittier job for the next one so that it would be a worse game
Well that's kind of exactly what they did do, with GTA IV...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
ASnogarD said:
I wonder if there will be a PC port at all, considering Rockstar's other good game, Red Dead Redemption ?
Unless GTA V bombs, theres a high chance it will be a console only affair.
Rockstar havent been too kind to thier PC fanbase since consoles are more market friendly and easier to develop for... last GTA PC port was bad, and the fans crapped all over it.
Yep. No PC port unless it tanks seems to be Rockstar's business model these days. Why hello L.A. Noire, what happened to RDR for PC?

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
If it can surpass jetpack-rocket fun time then it would have exceeded all of my expectations.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yes, i surely hope the pc port will be much better. the reason why i dint get my self GTA IV. dont want to install tones of patches just because it has probs with ati cards.
well, im still not sure if i should get it. i just wait and see what happens. vice city was still the best GTA in my eyes. great music and colourful. SA was also fun but a bit to gray for my liking.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Seattle is two states over from California mate... And I say that as a Canadian.
As an Australian, American geography wasn't taught.

Oregon then. I dunno, what ever is in Oregon. Trees I think.

Hmmm, upon checking a Google map of western America, I see a town in Oregon that is ripe for GTA parody;

Beaverton.

:D