New Mass Effect "Moving Forward"

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
I won't be buying it.

Not because I hated ME3's ending. I didn't hate it, just extremely disappointed in its lack of originality and the complacency of it all; they knew they would be successful and settled for what they had. But, because it won't be on Steam. As simple as that.

Also, if someone from BW reads any of this, here's a suggestion for you for DLC: don't make a shitty small DLC that you'll release on day-0. Rather do something more epic that'll be released shortly after; 1-3 weeks after launch. You'll get a LOT less anger that way.

If the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect games are not up to the "old" Bioware's specs, I am afraid that studio will spiral out of existence. That would be sad.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I could care less about what Bioware Montreal is up to anymore, they have proven that they do not give a fuck about players or good stories anymore.

Though I gotta admit I would get a sick level of glee if this game crashed and burned.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know. Mass Effect 3 left a rather sour taste in my mouth after that ending. I also feel that no threat now is going to measure up to "All advanced civilization will be wiped out in the galaxy" and a prequel just doesn't interest me enough. I will keep my eye on this, and there's a strong chance I'll buy it anyway, but I'm not chomping at the bit like I was when Mass Effect 3 was announced. I just feel like this series has been wrapped up, even though I know that's insane because there's an entire galaxy to explore.

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
Sorry biowear, you broke my trust too many times. I wont let you do it again, until you break away from EA's toxic influence we will never do business.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I like that it will be it's own story arc unlike Halo that just can't say goodbye to their undefinable lump of a main character... buuuut it is EA so I'm not throwing down any preorder and if I still get it it'll be on a console and buying it used because I really don't care about multiplayer and don't want Origin on my computer.

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Go back and fix the GOD DAMN ENDING OF 3 YOU BASTARDS!!!! Once you fix that THAN I'll pick up another Mass Effect game.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Well, I'm interested to see what direction they take this in. A prequel exploring the universe's deep history might be nice, but for a decision-based RPG it raises obvious problems.

GSP66 said:
*Incoming onrush of knee jerk cynicism from the gaming community

In 3...2...1
You're my new best friend.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Sseth said:
I personally thought ME3 got too much flak for no other good reason than fans that would have been angry no matter what Bioware did. It was my second favorite entry in the trilogy (after the second) and the ending was just fine imo.

My money is ready and waiting
Seeing as I was purposely trying to [i/]lose[/i] the Reaper War my first run-through (<a HREF=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112571-Shepard-Can-Lose-in-Mass-Effect-3>since BioWare claimed I could do that ) in order to see all the emotional deaths, I can safely tell you my anger at the ending was entirely justified. Still my second favorite game of the trilogy (ME2 was the best IMO). But please everyone: Stop bringing the ending up; it's been a year. Move on.

OT: Well I love the universe, but BioWare has been misstepping so much recently I'm not getting this on launch. If the reviews say it's good, I'll probably buy it during a Steam sale or something.

May 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
"Moving Forward"
So it IS a sequel!
Glad they're leaving Shepard out of it.
Wasn't there a clone of Shepard in the Citadel DLC? Didn't play it but that's what I heard. Who's to say Shepard won't be there? They can just clone him and implant his memories in the new body or some shit like that.

Doesn't Shepard appear if you chose to destroy the Reapers (red fireworks)? I mean lying down scorched, but his torso moves as he gasps for air in the very end right? So if destroying the Reapers is canon then Shepard is alive. I mean if falling from orbit onto a planet's surface still makes you viable for reconstruction, I don't see why having bits of yourself exploding would be any worse...and he was breathing...so...you know....

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I'm in, but I'm also concerned. If they just start out somewhere different (like the first contact war or so), it will feel really strange, even if the setting is known to us. Mass Effect was really Shepard's story imo.

I would actually like to see a continuation after the ME3 ending. It would give more consideration and substance to the ending choices and perhaps finally help people past their disappointement. The only (BIG) problem is that they'd need to accept one ending as canon, if they don't want to make games based on totally different premises that is :p

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Will Garrus be in it? And Edi? Can we hear Mordin sing some more?

If Bioware can answer 'yes' to all these questions then I am in.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
It's a big interesting setting (haven't played 3 yet) so there's tons of room for the perspective of a new character - doesn't even have to be a human one, although that is probably likely.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Really hoping for a DA:O style multiple character class/race varying story setup. I'd love to be something other than just a human in such a rich universe. Quarian on pilgrimage? Turian exile? Rising Asari stripper Matriarch? Krogan? All good. Bonus points if they throw in Volus or Elcor playability. But c'mon, Bioware, something other than humans as a PC, PLEASE. Humans are boring, and I can be a human in two billion other games, to say nothing of real life. Let me be a Hanar, dammit!

DSK-

May 13, 2010
This reminds me: I still need to complete my Extended Cut playthrough, but I already know what will happen for the most part and I'm keeping my distance anyway :(

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I think I'll reserve my judgement on this game for when it comes out. I generally don't get excited for games anymore and I feel that's a good stance to take on this one.

Quazimofo said:
You gotta remember though that only like 50 people or something died in that "war". It was very small scale. It'd barely register as a side-quest in any other games. There's a reason the turians just call it an incident (cant remember the number designation of the relay though).
Over 1200 died, actually. 623 of those were humans.

I find that number to be dumb though, considering property damage was way disproportionally higher than those numbers would suggest.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Callate said:
"Goose Laying Golden Eggs Slain; Owners In Consultancy With Creators of Turducken Regarding Re-Assembly"

Okay, a little harsh perhaps. But if they've actually learned something from the uproar, my humble suggestion would be:

1. Self-contained game, not the first of a trilogy.
2. More personal and inter-personal plot arc, rather than another "fate of the universe" thread.
3. Resist the impulse to give every surviving character from the earlier games a walk-on.
4. Ditch the military aspect; work with characters who are less beholden to a central authority.
5. Work on creating more situations that involve solutions other than shooting your way out.
6. Don't piss off the fanbase even more by suggesting a problem that was clearly and cleanly resolved in the earlier games, especially one that characters sacrificed their lives to resolve, is returned and/or has dangling threads.
7. Use this as an opportunity to develop or flesh out world lore in ways besides virtual encyclopedia entries.
8. Mineral collection is busy-work, and pretty much always has been. Either find a way to make it more interesting, or drop it all together.
9. Try not to punish players for not playing all-the-way Paragon or all-the-way Renegade. Kind-hearted people sometimes have to make tough decisions, and rough, play-by-their-own rules types still have their moments of tenderness. It's called "role-playing".
10. Some people have no interest in multiplayer. Be okay with this.

'Kay, Bioware? Call me. ;)
11. Give me some gods-dammed player controlled space battles! :}

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Bioware for me to buy and play the game it needs to satisfy 2 conditions:
1. Make it as good as ME2
2. Put it on Steam.

Saviordd1 said:
I could care less about what Bioware Montreal is up to anymore, they have proven that they do not give a fuck about players or good stories anymore.

Though I gotta admit I would get a sick level of glee if this game crashed and burned.
Ahem

Surely you meant "I could not care less." Saying "I could care less", means you do care. #learnenglish

CaptainThom

Jun 24, 2013
I imagine i will buy this, especially if they either do away with the morality system or fix it and bring back some planetary exploration. Which could mean the return of vehicle sections....
Im glad they decided to leave Shepard out of it though.

CaptainThom

Jun 24, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
Bioware for me to buy and play the game it needs to satisfy 2 conditions:
1. Make it as good as ME2
2. Put it on Steam.

Saviordd1 said:

Ahem

Surely you meant "I could not care less." Saying "I could care less", means you do care. #learnenglish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Oh god don't put it on origin!