New Overwatch Hero Is a Response to Body-Type Diversity Criticism

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Wait...McCree? As in...Mad Dog McCree [http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/568200-mad-dog-mccree]?

Was that intentional or is this an Easter Egg?

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Cavouku said:
To put another voice in the echo chamber, I think her design is overall well done. Obviously it's first person, but judging by the little animations of her, she's well defined in both appearance, movement, and (seemingly) gameplay. Kudos, looks fun.

On the political side of things, well... I'm not really sure there needed to be a political side to it, I suppose. I don't see how the bulky Russian female is really breaking open the diversity-sauce, and as others have mentioned, she's still rather attractive (I'm not much for muscly girls, but she has what I'd say is an adorable face, and I'm good with the hair). And that's not inherently a bad thing, I don't think.

Now if Blizzard wants to put more diverse characters in their game, go nuts. It looks like it's the kind of game where a bunch of radical character designs from across the spectrum of whatever spectrum everyone's got themselves in a tuss over will fly without much genuine complaint. But don't make this character your flagship for diversity, Blizzard. Just say it's a new character in the game, and I think we'll be okay.

Here's a fun little challenge for whatever game developer may stumble across it: make a paraplegic pansexual half-black-half-asian transgendered obese anorexic (technically speaking, not an oxymoron) bipolar guy woman intersex from Antarctica, and don't wave it around like you're the most inclusive thing since Lord Byron's bedsheets. Just have the character in the game. Make little cues like dialogue or pick-ups or something explain the non-visible components. Don't tell us. Show us.

Let us play it out. I think we'll be okay with that (for the most part). I think that's what made Bill from The Last of Us so memorable (to me, anyway); he wasn't trying to be a quota-requirement, checkbox, flagship, or anything other than himself.

I dunno. I'm not trying to be down on anyone, really, but I've always been a fan of the more implicit style of character exploration, rather than explicit announcements and such.
Haha, I think it's cute that you think people would be okay with it...

All joking aside, I remember when there was a HINT that the Pyro might be gay or - gasp! - a woman, and a small subset of players started talking about how awful valve were for pandering to the PC Police.

Hell, remember people complaining that Ellie from Borderlands 2 was just a token fat woman? I do.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Gatlank said:
TheRealCJ said:
Genocidicles said:
So we get a character made to combat complaints by the SJWs... and how do they take it I wonder?

Well going by Kotaku's article... The first comment you see is someone complaining:

https://archive.today/wOu3K

There's just no pleasing these cunts.
Funny, I've seen more griping about how the "SJWs have won waaaaaah!"
Really! I'm okay with her. Well... Change the hair and i'm okay with her!
Go look at the Facebook comments on this very article. I dare you.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
And this is a problem how? People see different things in fictional characters? People see different things in real people too. I fail to see the problem.
Well it becomes a problem when you expect people to see those characters in the same way you do, with real people they have agency so you have at least some element of proof that everyone is able to agree on, where as with fictional characters you're basically creating a belief system/ideology/religion.
It's a good thing I'm not expecting people to see the same thing I am. Seriously man, you just go off on these tangents making claims to counter points that I never made.
You asked how it could be a problem. I don't know you personally, so how can I claim anything about you, you're anonymous.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
TheRealCJ said:
Gatlank said:
TheRealCJ said:
Genocidicles said:
So we get a character made to combat complaints by the SJWs... and how do they take it I wonder?

Well going by Kotaku's article... The first comment you see is someone complaining:

https://archive.today/wOu3K

There's just no pleasing these cunts.
Funny, I've seen more griping about how the "SJWs have won waaaaaah!"
Really! I'm okay with her. Well... Change the hair and i'm okay with her!
Go look at the Facebook comments on this very article. I dare you.
There's also one that seems to be complaining she isn't diverse enough (of course he could be being sarcastic). :p
Honestly it's impossible to please everyone and there will always be someone ready to criticize no matter what you do.
In fact if i remember correctly one of the female characters got a similar treatment (for being too sexist or whatever) from the other camp in the beginning.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
On one hand the burly russian is a stereotype. On the other I just don't see it that often on women.

I like the character. I like that she's actually a tank and not the usual glass canon/rogue sort which is pretty rare for a female character. She's muscular which is pretty rare as far as women in games go, too.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
And this is a problem how? People see different things in fictional characters? People see different things in real people too. I fail to see the problem.
Well it becomes a problem when you expect people to see those characters in the same way you do, with real people they have agency so you have at least some element of proof that everyone is able to agree on, where as with fictional characters you're basically creating a belief system/ideology/religion.
It's a good thing I'm not expecting people to see the same thing I am. Seriously man, you just go off on these tangents making claims to counter points that I never made.
You asked how it could be a problem. I don't know you personally, so how can I claim anything about you, you're anonymous.
Then where the heck did the "Expecting everyone to agree with you" thing come from? No one here has made that argument or anything close to it. It's not relevant.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
I've never really gotten people's problems with "skinny", and by skinny I mean perfectly healthy, body types. Why should they have to put in fat or ugly people? I get that it's wrong to make fun of people's physique, but to require that a game needs to have fat or ugly people? I'm no body builder super model, quite the opposite, but saying there's nothing wrong with being fat is bullshit. And by fat I mean Ellie from Borderlands fat. If protagonists in a game are supposed to be heroes, they should be good examples and stuff. They should all be healthy and fit. If not that then at least normal. If people think that making models look extremely thin could encourage anorexic behavior, then (as ridiculous as it sounds) fat models could also encourage obesity.

Also, she's still pretty hot, with assets that could not possibly exist in real life. Unless boobs are made of muscle in Overwatch's universe.

Lastly, why doesn't her gun make burn marks on the walls? That seems like a pretty big thing to forget in a shooter.
What's wrong with it is we don't get skinny, we get one specific bodytype that isn't even remotely like what a majority of women look like.
Also we call women fat who really aren't anything but a pretty healthy weight to be.

Besides, I always find this very helpful for a discussion in bodytypes: http://www.boredpanda.com/athlete-body-types-comparison-howard-schatz/

Look at the diversity of body types. All of these are professional athletes.

The weightlifters always stand out as an extreme example. That, Ironically, is what extreme strength often really looks like, yet because of biases and preconceptions we associate strength with the bodybuilder types. Who, while not exactly weak, are certainly weaklings compared to a typical weightlifter, or some of the others that look less obviously muscular...

That's one thing that becomes apparent when you look at reality. Muscle definition Isn't a sign of strength, merely of low bodyfat percentage. Possibly unhealthily low bodyfat in fact.

Still, we have completely lost touch with reality when it comes to what's healthy and what isn't, what an athlete looks like, what's normal and what's unusual...
Women are often told they are fat when they really aren't, because we've set the standard for a 'healthy' weight absurdly low, perhaps even at a point that is only just above anorexic.
Or perhaps just we've defined it as the shape and size of a typical 16 year old, but that's not something that is still that typical anymore in an adult...

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
Then where the heck did the "Expecting everyone to agree with you" thing come from? No one here has made that argument or anything close to it. It's not relevant.
Current news, any comments section/forum or Twitter, and human history. Humans fight wars and/or kill each-other over a difference of belief all the time.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
Current news, any comments section or Twitter, and human history. Humans fight wars and kill each-other over a difference of belief all the time.
And this ties back to the design of a character in a video game how? And I'm pretty sure there's a difference between disagreeing with someone (Twitter and current news) and expecting everyone to think the same.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
Current news, any comments section or Twitter, and human history. Humans fight wars and kill each-other over a difference of belief all the time.
And this ties back to the design of a character in a video game how? And I'm pretty sure there's a difference between disagreeing with someone (Twitter and current news) and expecting everyone to think the same.
It's all subjective.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:

It's all subjective.

That isn't an answer. We're just going around in circles now, getting nowhere.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:
erttheking said:
inmunitas said:

It's all subjective.

That isn't an answer. We're just going around in circles now, getting nowhere.
We're talking about the idolisation/worship of video game characters, video game characters don't have agency, so a persons idolisation of them is going to be self-projection which of course is inherently subjective. Thus when that character is criticised it's going to be taken somewhat personally by a person who idolises that character, which typically leads to some form of conflict. So idolisation of a "fictional being" can be seen as problematic, if you wish to avoid conflict that is.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I like heavy lazer-weapons gal.

Hell, I am all for this. Variety? Freedom of choice? A well-playing character that is as balanced as the rest? What isn't to like about it?

Granted, I get the feeling this is motivated by an attempt to pander which I find a bit annoying, but even still, since it isn't a total conversion from what they had for the sake of pandering (namely, it is variety for the sake of variety, rather then trying to reply one specific target audience for another), I am all for this. Unlike, say, replacing the avengers with an entire female avenger quad like a freakshow attraction, this just gives all players one more option without subtracting from the rest or forcing the spotlight on them. They are part of the choices there and that is all I ask for, just variety and choice.

The over-buff female russian seems a bit of a stereotype though I guess, but in terms of character model and play style in a game that goes pretty all over, it fits fine. Also was a lot of TF2 comparisons mentioned before, so I see this as sort of a nod there too.

erttheking said:
You do realize this is a website mainly dedicated to gamers correct? As in gaming is our preferred hobby? And short of games like Tex Murphy, games don't actually have real people in them, and I'm pretty sure a lot of gamers grew up idolizing game characters. Heck, we still do if the popularity of characters like Master Chief and Commander Shepard is anything to go by

And what's so bad about relating with someone who's a fictional character and not live action? I relate to plenty of video game characters like you wouldn't believe.
Touching on this because it caught my eye on the scroll down.

Got to ask, why is it that people idolize those characters? Why is it those characters they idolize and not others, and why is it hat idolized characters and popular characters don't always cross over? I think it is less to do with the character look themselves and more the stories they are a part of and the role they play in them that distinguish them as characters to idolize. The "character", the personality, behavior and morality of the characters tends to be what people latch onto when they idolize them. As such, it seems physical representation in games should be a lot less important then character representing traits the audience will want to idolize with. Also the old argument about people seeing what they want to see in characters and more likely liking/disliking them based on their own positive/negative perceptions.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Everyone's at each other's throats over artistic freedom vs. SJWs and I'm over here thinking:

"I am Heavy Weapons Gal...and THIS is my weapon."

In all seriousness, pick your battles, people. This really isn't worth the effort. Nobody forced Blizzard to make this, and "big Russian stereotype" isn't nearly as progressive as some are trying to make it out to be.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
The writing quality however was hedious. I've seen better fan fiction written by kindergartners.

If you've seen kindergartners writing fanfiction, kidnap them and sell them to an unscrupulous lab so they can dissect their brains.
First because science demands to know how quasi toddlers can write
Second because a two year old making up sci-fi science-fiction is bound to turn into some megalomaniacal super-villain after puberty: better kill the threat when its still wearing diapers.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
loa said:
Davroth said:
loa said:
"Muscular russian soldier woman" is an overdone cliche in games?
Surely you can name 5 examples of it then cause I can't think of any.
So you don't think she looks like a stereotypical butch lesbian then? Just checking...

Beyond that, the buff russian soldier is a stereotype in all media. And just slapping some boobs on a stereotype doesn't make it all fresh and new, or somehow "progressive".

I just really don't feel like praising Blizzard for putting a potentially rather regressive stereotype into their games. But hey, I'm glad SJW types are so easily appeased. Makes me feel like at the end of the day, actually nothing will change.
None.
So you have no examples. Gotcha.
Anyone else?
Perhaps not in games, per se, but in popular culture it is definitely a cliche. Just off the top of my head:

"Mother Russia" in Kick-Ass 2 and "Missi Pyle" in Dodgeball. I'm certain there is a few in some James Bond movies too (which may be where the Sterotype initially came from TBH)

I don't think it's a "bad" sterotype, as pretty much all of the other characters in this game are sterotypes, but Blizzard certainly isn't breaking the mold here.

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
Cavouku said:
I mean, it's not bad, and I'd say it's better than nothing. The article mentioned something about whether this was a step forward? I'd say yes, on the diversity scale. I'm just kinda iffy about it being a politically sound move to draw so much attention to just how diverse this really is.
A character is not diverse. That doesn't even make sense. A group of characters is diverse. If all of the characters were classic stereotypes, that would not be diverse. If none of them were, that would also not be diverse. The Overwatch roster is now noticably more diverse than it was before Zarya was added.

Gatlank said:
If you attach nationality to the stereotype i can't remember many except maybe in comics or movies.
Those of us asking for examples aren't the ones attaching the nationality to it. We're responding to people who claim that this kind of character-with nationality attached-is overused in games.

ki11joyace

Nov 16, 2014
I'm a little annoyed that some of the people politely asking/annoyingly whining/wanting/complaining for this character were doing so instead of learning game development skills to create a game/character they wanted. Complain about not having enough "representation" in an art piece you are not a part of? Get out. Learn to create the art you want to see in the world? Go for it.

That being said, I don't hate what this character represents, but I'm annoyed at how it came to be. People wanted "diversity" and got, essentially, a stereotypical white, neon-haired SJW with muscles. I get the sense there's some pandering going on here.

With all that aside, I think the design for the character isn't all bad. I do desperately wish Blizzard would give me a free option to change the hair color or style, since it seems to be associated with certain... abrasive attitudes.

TLDR; Give her normal hair color (or just the free option to change it) so it doesn't feel like pandering to SJWs and I have no problem with it.