New Pirates Movie Has Zombies, Scary Mermaids

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
in my mind, I'm going to be thinking of this one as a completely separate spinoff type thing to the other movies, cause they where all connected and made up one great big story, but this is like his own adventure, possible existing to make money and just give the fans some more of captain jack sparrow to love.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
3: Ok, so now everything is a pirate and they all have character arcs? Even Highlander didn't go this far off the rails.
You sir, have yet to see Highlander: the Source.

Aug 25, 2009
Eh, the third movie was so awful I almost left the cinema, so right now my opinion of the PotC series is down there with Johnny Mnemonic and The Covenant. Frankly the thought of another movie where we follow Cap'n Jack Sparra as he arses about on camera is not one that appeals.

The only things that kept the paper-thin plot of PotC together was the other characters' plots, while Sparra was just a nuisance who farted around the the background. Make his plot the main one and have the farting around the foreground and you lose anything that made this series even bearable.

Forktongue

May 19, 2009
Get used to it everyone. Escapist posted an article awhile back talking about how the leads were being signed to a 5th and 6th film. I guess the success of this film will decide whether or not we get 5 and 6 in the theaters or straight to dvd!

Glad to see this sequel isn't bringing back Bloom and Knightly. I remember reading somewhere that the press releases for the original Pirates film focused almost solely on the Will and Elizabeth characters with Sparrow not even getting a full sentence dedicated to him. I think all he got was something along the lines of: "With the help of a rascal pirate named Jack Sparrow (played by Johnny Depp), Will sets of to....."

May 5, 2010
I won't count it out yet, but...I don't know, it just seems kind of like they aren't really trying anymore.

Also, how are those mermaids remotely scary? I don't get it.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Bek359 said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Casual Shinji said:
Great, even more reason for me to greatly dislike Johnny Depp.

He used to be awesome back in the 90's, now he's just a mosquito of the cinema.
yeah, man, in the 90's, fresh off the now classic 21 Jump Street and with two movies under his belt. Before he SOLD OUT man, when he had integrity man.

Said with a hipster voice, if there is one.

The trailer looks fantastic. It's got everything I'd want in a adventure film; humor, action, exotic locales, Penelope, lovable dastardly villains, mythology, swashbuckling. Good times.

And how can anyone say that At World's End was confusing? They pretty much kept on explaining what was happening in every second scene. Must be the same folks who thought Inception needed six viewings to be understood.
I was able to keep track of what was going on, mostly, but the constant betrayals and motive changes were MGS-ish, with none of the charm.
MGS had charm? :eek:

I guess I'm just a sucker for such Terry Gilliamesque insanity where everyone just takes at face value that the guy with a octopus face just unleashed an ancient creole god upon the crew after they'd sailed over the edge of the earth to save their formerly deceased captain. It's so bonkers that it makes sense :D
By charm I guess I mean that it was so batshit insane and melodramatic and hammy that it looped right back around and became awesome again. I mean, there's Otacon's miserable, whiny life, Snake's melodramatic philosophizing, and then you have things like Psycho Mantis or those big leaping mini-mechas that moo. That's what I mean. I won't say the series is flawless, GOD no. It's severely overwriten, and the VERY large amount of long cutscenes will turn a lot of people off. But I like it anyway.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Zombies, eh? This should be different. I never have thought of zombies as very... pirate-y.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Less Orlando Bloom, More Johnny Depp, AND ZOMBIES!!11!!!

This will be awesome.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
See to me this is what the Pirate's movies should of been like. Each one a new adventure with the only constant characters being Jack and his crew. More episodic. Hopefully they will keep doing it in this style.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Tdc2182 said:
I was under the impression that there would be no more after the third?

And is that what you call a zombie?
I believe that is what you call the original zombies, the voodoo zombies

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Did I just see Ellen Page as a Mermaid?
Well, the trailer is NOT promising. But I've learned not to care for a trailer, isn't that right COD6?

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Actually, that looks pretty okay. At least the two wankers Elizabeth and Will Turner won't be in this, messing up every bloody scene..

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Terminate421 said:
I saw a poster for that at the theater, but do we really need another one? (I love the other ones, I just don't see the need for another)
There was no 'need' for Halo Reach, yet it was still awesome. There was no 'need' for Futuram to be brought back, but it was still awesome. The point is that lots of things that there have been no need for have happened anyway and have proven to be awesome. No offence, that's just how I see this.

To be honest the trailer looks great. I was laughing openly at some of the bits, including half of what Jack said, without even understanding the context, just because it was Jack Sparrow saying them. Very rarely is a mere trailer alone able to make me feel anything, be it sorrow or mirth, in such a way. So although I kind of wish Gore Verbinski was still directing, I'm happy that a new set of films has been made, and I'm happy that they've been able to make it into a stand-alone series mostly unconnected to the original trilogy. Just because a sequel isn't 'needed', doesn't mean it's not going to be awesome...

Feb 11, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
And is that what you call a zombie?
Actually, I think these zombies are the ones that are most true to the "real-world" zombies. The notion of walking half-dead comes from Haiti after all.