New Pirates Movie Has Zombies, Scary Mermaids

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
If you ask me, it seems pretty crap.

Not heard a lot from it, either.

I mean, why would ANYONE be afraid of Blackbeard after you've just kicked the arse of Davey Jones?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I stumbled upon this earlier on youtube. I thought a fourth movie was a bad idea, after the third wasn't exactly brilliant but neatly tied up all ongoing plotlines, but this trailer looks like it'll be harmless at worst, a bit of fun.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Wait a second, why would there be more movies? I thought everything got wrapped up in the horribly confusing At World's End?
Where were you at the final scenes where some more tidbits about that special map were revealed? Too much soda, perhaps?
Curses, must have forgotten about that magical plot extending cash-cow fodder....

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
It actually looks better now they got rid of Bloom and Knightly. Looks like this one will be the "Captain Jack Sparrow Show"

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Looks good. All they have to do is remember that Jack Sparrow is the star. That's why Pirates 1 was great and Pirates 2 and 3 were meh. They took the focus off of Sparrow to tell the 'Greatest Story Ever'. Keep it fun and and keep the focus on Sparrow.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I love the Pirate movies, my only real concern is if the movies will be the same with different crew(Penelope has a very...not british feel) and if it will be the same without the series usual high-seas swashbuckling, which seems lacking from the trailer.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I was skeptical when I started watching the trailer, but it looks like it'll be fine. Orlando Bloom I can entirely do without, Keira Knightley would've been nice but it's always been the adventures of Capt'n Jack and whoever happens to be swept up with him.

The idea that any of them were confusing or hard to follow seems to be said in the same breath as how shallow and meaningless they ultimately are. Especially for this crowd, I find that hard to believe. I think it's great, zany fun that reminds me of games like Monkey Island and comedic fantasy novels.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Ian McShane. Great. Deadwood is one of my favorite shows.

As for the challenges; I couldn't get pass those mermaids nor Penelope.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
samsonguy920 said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Wait a second, why would there be more movies? I thought everything got wrapped up in the horribly confusing At World's End?
Where were you at the final scenes where some more tidbits about that special map were revealed? Too much soda, perhaps?
Curses, must have forgotten about that magical plot extending cash-cow fodder....
Do not underestimate the power of the Hollywood side. Mwahahahaha!
Which normally I would say whooptedoo to except this was a nicely done plot device to keep Jack Sparrow going while the Turners are off on their own careers.
But it may be all about Penelope Cruz in pirate clothes that gets me interested the most.

...nevermind the badassest pirate of all time is in this(not Jack).

...and then there is Blackbeard(by Ian McShane), too.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
For.I.Am.Mad said:
Looks good. All they have to do is remember that Jack Sparrow is the star. That's why Pirates 1 was great and Pirates 2 and 3 were meh. They took the focus off of Sparrow to tell the 'Greatest Story Ever'. Keep it fun and and keep the focus on Sparrow.
While I agree with you regarding the first Pirates being good and the other two being passable at best, I cannot help but wonder whether putting the character of Jack Sparrow in the lead role really is a good idea.

Don't misunderstand, Johnny Depp's performance as Sparrow was definitely one of the highlights of the first movie. However, some characters just work better when they are on the sidelines and don't necessarilly work as well when they are the main star of the show. Joey Tribbiani (played by Matt LeBlanc) from the sitcom Friends is an example of this. As part of a greater cast, the character was spectacular and enjoyed a great deal of popularity. However, when they made him the main star of his own show (Joey), he wasn't received as well.

Sparrow, as a character, is awesome. However, it remains to be seen whether he can carry entire movies by himself, especially since his interactions with Swann and Turner were a core part of the first movie.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Needs Moar Kraken. Needs Moar Kraken

Anyway, looks a bit promising but those mermaids look more sexy then scary. Seen Peter Pan? Fuck that was scary.

I guess I'll be forced to watch it but I really miss Davy Jones...

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Jumplion said:
Oh goddamnit, after the ending of the 3rd film I kept denying to my friend that the ending was a cliffhanger for a sequel. I thought it was just one of those "Oh ho ho! Jack Sparrow is at it again!" kind of things, I didn't know they were really trying to find the Fountain of Youth.

Whatever, I loved the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and the second one was alright, though I had no idea what was going on in the third one. I guess I'll watch this one, but I dunno...
I guess it's the voodoo kind of zombie.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Rather have Knightly than Cruz, but it wouldn't make sense in terms of the narrative. Edward Teach is someone I'll watch with care, and it looks like they did him up well enough. All that really remains is to see how the writing holds up, and to watch despairingly as Mermaids have to wear clothes.

Which, on reflection, is rather counter to the point of the mermaid origins.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I enjoyed the last three, in a way, so maybe I'll also enjoy this one....in a way.

Alas, there just seems to be something missing from this trailer. No real moment that makes me think "good lord, I'll have to see that on a big screen in a dark theatre surrounded by the smell of cheese nachos and the sight of attractive girls with their stupid, dumb boyfriends and"....well, I could go on.

Oh, and those mermaids currently seem about as frightening as a chocolate advent calendar, being the first non-threataning thing I saw when I looked away from the monitor.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
God no. Just in case...
Barbosa stole Jack's ship, Jack stole Barbosa's charts. Will did become the new ferryman for the dead, so he's not in there. Which means there's no reason Elizabeth would be.
I'm actually kinda surprised people found the third one confusing...
Anyways, I'm loving the look of this. I've always though Depp made those movies awesome, and the trailer made me laugh, so I think I'll enjoy this one as much as I did the last three. Which is a lot.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I can genuinely say that I'm looking forward to it, which is more than I was able to say 10 minutes ago.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
This_ends_now said:
"not-scary zombies"

I implore you to show one zombie that actually is scary. They're the clowns of the monster world.
What about Zombie Clowns? That'd scare the fuck out of me o_O