New pokemon are different

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I don't mind the designs of the different generations, every generation has designs which I think look a bit silly. The biggest problem I have with it all really is the legendaries. In the latest generation it just feels like the developers are trying too hard to make the pokemon look cool to the point where they sort of look like impractical machines. But to me pokemon is as great as it has ever been, I still enjoy the journey I take with my favourite pokemon.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Never really got all the complaining each generation gets. Yeah, yeah, things are different, every other Pokemon seems odd. Just play the damn game and enjoy the ride.

All that said, I'm crazy partial to the second gen games. Mostly because I loved the style Ken Sugimori was using in those days. And I'm partial to well designed Gameboy sprites.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Some_weirdGuy said:
'wearing cloths'.
Clothes.

Don Savik said:
cmon ppl agree with me here, don't let nostalgia blind you
Gen 2 bored me far more than Gen 1. Gen 4 has some of my favourite Pokémon, and Gen 5 went back to having some very unremarkable ones. So I'm pretty sure I'm not nostalgia blind here.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Is my current winner for cutest Pokemon evar.
Have you heard of Mortasheen's madman's piece about the little guy? Really got me to love him.
I think some early Genner's may be offended by his language though
http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/trash.html

Haven played all Pokemon since yellow but not getting obsessed with it for some reason, I will say this. Yes the new pokemon are different, is that a bad thing.

Due to constraints at the time, the designers were restrained to simple designs and while these caused some designs to appear lazy(Why do everyone make fun of Mr Mime? I thought he looked interesting. It's little shits like Voltorb, magnetite and Diglette who deserve it) but in return were able to create RECOGNIZABLE designs(Zapdos, Rapidash and ninetails are my favourite, pikachu being the most recognizable)

While the later gen's had better tech allowed them to flex their creative muscles, resulting in overdesigning(a normal complaint with too much freedom and no restraint) but creating UNIQUE pokemon(Muay thai practising poison frog? Samurai otter? Emperor of steel penguin? Gardevoir?).

There are a lot to offer from ALL generations, instead of just pointing at the same pokemon everyone points to when they wanna talk down on a certain generation. I do honestly wonder what would happen if Gen 1 didn't come first? If all the gen 1 pokemon, were all shown at generation 5.

Anyway, I can't get too up in arms about this because I was a digimon fan as a kid and preferred their "These mons are your best friends,you'd give your life for them and they would too" to pokemon's "have these mons cockfight for your amusement after capturing them from their natural homes"
(I am so getting flamed for that statement)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
M0rp43vs said:
Haven played all Pokemon since yellow but not getting obsessed with it for some reason, I will say this. Yes the new pokemon are different, is that a bad thing.

Due to constraints at the time, the designers were restrained to simple designs and while these caused some designs to appear lazy(Why do everyone make fun of Mr Mime? I thought he looked interesting. It's little shits like Voltorb, magnetite and Diglette who deserve it) but in return were able to create RECOGNIZABLE designs(Zapdos, Rapidash and ninetails are my favourite, pikachu being the most recognizable)

While the later gen's had better tech allowed them to flex their creative muscles, resulting in overdesigning(a normal complaint with too much freedom and no restraint) but creating UNIQUE pokemon(Muay thai practising poison frog? Samurai otter? Emperor of steel penguin? Gardevoir?).

There are a lot to offer from ALL generations, instead of just pointing at the same pokemon everyone points to when they wanna talk down on a certain generation. I do honestly wonder what would happen if Gen 1 didn't come first? If all the gen 1 pokemon, were all shown at generation 5.

Anyway, I can't get too up in arms about this because I was a digimon fan as a kid and preferred their "These mons are your best friends,you'd give your life for them and they would too" to pokemon's "have these mons cockfight for your amusement after capturing them from their natural homes"
(I am so getting flamed for that statement)
It's not bad because the style changed, it's because a lot of them are bland/average, have messy patterns, or their figures isn't really practical. I like some of the pokemon in gen 4 and 5, but not as many as the first 3. Especially the legendary's. It's all about the designs, nothing else as far as I'm concerned.

I was just thinking the same thing if gen 1 switched with gen 5. I would say pokemon probably wouldn't have exploded in popularity like it did because like we all know, the first gen was simpler and more iconic so it made it easier for everyone to ease into. They made a really good decision making Pikachu the main.

Also, it seems Pokemon and Digimon have roughly the same message. I bet they were both about team work as well.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Don Savik said:
Eh, I tend to agree and disagree. While generation 1 was very plain with heavy influence from pre-existing animals (a seal named Seel for instance), it was honestly the most boring and unoriginal generation because of it (cmon ppl agree with me here, don't let nostalgia blind you). I think its just taken them a while to get the pokemon style down. Generation 1 is really the only one that stands out, all the others seem to be pretty coherent.

And lets be honest, that charizard picture is a lot better than generation 1....I mean....cmon now...
I'm not going to ***** people out for hating Gen 5, but I find it difficult to like. That may be due to nostalgia, but my acknowledgement of that fact won't magically change my preferences.

As for the charizard idea, no. I prefer actual Charizard. That one just looks gaudy. Like fake, oversized jewels.

Less is more, and all that.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
I can agree that the Gen 1 Pokemon my not have been the most original and their design was pretty plain, but that's what makes them memorable in this day and age. To see where Pokemon began and how it has come in up to Gen 4 is really amazing. I am also not against slightly redesigning the older Gen Pokemon (that Charizard is awesome).

I don't mind too much for the new Pokemon, but I just hate the lack of imagination in creating them.
See, this is what I mean. The 'complexity' of later generations is unappealing to me in the same way an overly contrived story line is.

To compare to clothes in games like WoW, gen 1 is the lower level simplistic armor, and gen 5 is the gaudy, spiky, impractical BS armor. And yet, in that instance, people are all for the grounded designs of lower level armor.

SmokingBomber465

Mar 5, 2012
Gonna make this quick: I think the issue is that the new pokemon fall into 2 categories: rehash of older pokemon (seel-->spheal, furret-->watchog, meowth-->purloin) or genuinely new ideas (That dumb gear thing, scraggy (favorite new guy), Bisharp).

The thing issue is that they've done more than 500 pokemon, so all the genuinely new ideas are running fairly thin--or becoming increasingly elaborate and wacky. That's why they end up making things like those dumb gears. The alternative is to make even more "re-dos" so we get another rattata, another pidgey, another machop (although a terribly ugly one in timburr).

I DID love that comparison at the start though--awesome! I think that's what everyone meant when Ruby/Sapphire came out about how everything "looked like a Digimon" rather than a pokemon--the designs were all just excessive and complicated by comparison.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Nazulu said:
I was just thinking the same thing if gen 1 switched with gen 5. I would say pokemon probably wouldn't have exploded in popularity like it did because like we all know, the first gen was simpler and more iconic so it made it easier for everyone to ease into. They made a really good decision making Pikachu the main.
I dunno, honestly there is no way of tell unless that was the case. Believe me, Them rose tinted Goggles can really colour peoples perspective. That said, it'd be interesting to think what would happen had Trubbish became the main character and have him splayed out on that Japanese plane.(Also, I heard Meowth was slated to be the main character at one point, was that true?)

Nazulu said:
Also, it seems Pokemon and Digimon have roughly the same message. I bet they were both about team work as well.
I think so too, but I believe they had differing approaches. Digimon puts more emphasis on bonding and caring while pokemon put more on training and battles even though both series had these things.
Hell, Digimon started off as digital pet simulators.
I suppose being able to converse with every digimon who show sentience(I hope I'm using that right) makes it much easier in that respect(With some unfortunate implications for the poor little pokemans, will there be less of this fighting and being trapped in little balls if they were able to voice their disagreements?)

And with the animosity between the two fandoms(and the fact that I'm operating on Nostalgia myself), I suppose I'll leave it there while it's civil

Soulfoodman

Dec 20, 2009
Some_weirdGuy said:
Soulfoodman said:
Gen 3 rocks because of Blaziken. Gen 3 sucks because of Breloom.
Breloom and Shroomish are pretty much my favourite. Those spores were awesome and they were a great pokemon which filled the grass-slot in my party(usually used them as secondary with my starter, swampert). But it's ok cause you just got the names mixed around, we all know you actually meant to put breloom in that first slot and blaziken in that second slot. ;)
No I got that right. To be honest, I just picked Breloom out because I wasn't particularly fond of it, not because I hated it. How about instead of Breloom I say Nosepass, or Combusken? I have a tough time finding a design in Gen 3 that I just absolutely hate. It is entirely possible that Generation 3 is my favorite in terms of overall design.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
There has always been Pokemon I haven't liked from each generation, but this generation reached a peak I think. The increase in complexity doesn't exactly make the new Pokemon bad, it's just that it increases the capacity for them to be dislikeable. The simplicity of the first few gens mostly meant that were was less there to dislike, whereas now there are complex designs on each Pokemon, they lose some of their aesthetic ease.

I do prefer the overall aesthetics of the first gens compared to the current. However, other than my nostalgic keenness for Blastoise, I don't think any of my favourite Pokemon are in the first gens; Corphish, Hippowdon and Chandelure.

The current gen is really strange though; I outright hate the ice cream cone, it's the first Pokemon I wish they hadn't created, it's just too ridiculous in my opinion, maybe it's just the faces. More importantly though there are some Pokemon I really love but at the same time, feel I shouldn't. Escavalier for example, I really like him, but something that I can't quite put my finger on tells me that I don't... but I really do. It's the same with Crustle and Conkeldurr, I adore their designs but they just seem so out of place.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Shanicus said:
OH GOD, A POKEMON THREAD ABOUT WHICH GEN HAS BETTER DESIGN. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU -

Ok, should probably attempt to answer this thing seriously - and, well... I disagree. Yes, the modern pokemon are 'louder' in design, but that doesn't necessarily make them 'bad-looking'. Hell, I prefer the more complicated design over some of the simpler designs of the early generations - pokemon like Palkia, Golurk, Braviary, Groudon and Zekrom all look (again, in my opinion) much better than anything from Gen 1 and 2. The Complicated design also works in favor for many of the legendaries - Palkia, Dialga, Zekrom, etc. all covey a sense of power with their designs, while Gen 1/2 legendaries (Zapdos, Suicine, Raikou, etc.) don't give that same sense or power or legendary status due to their simpler design.

And yes, every generation has it's stupid designs - despite my love for muk, it looks kinda retarded and there is little positive feedback to give Mr.Mime. Dunsparce is silly, Glalie looks awful, Chingling is stupid (and rather useless) and Garbodor can die in a hole.

But I have to ask - why all the hate for this little guy?

Mother-fucker looks down right tasty. Plus after Voltorb and Electrode, I don't think we have the right to complain about an Ice Cream pokemon hanging around.
Jynx and Mr. Mime are far worse. I love it when people who get Nostalgic defensive completely ignore the creepy mime and the ugly chick.

You know whats funny? Nintendo has ignored them as far as we're concerned, the 4th gen brought evolutions for some of the 1st ones like Electabuzz and Magmar but they have ignored Jynx and Mr. Mime (Baby's don't count)

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
The Designs I don't mind too much, I mean sure some of them are weird, like that one that's just a Candle with a Face.
The thing that gets me though is the PokeDex Entry's, in all Gen's, not just current.
I forget which one, it was like a Balloon sorta thing, anyway, it is said that it is formed by A DEAD PERSON'S SOUL!.
I know that several adults enjoy pokemon, but lets not kid ourselves, It's aimed at kids, then I read stuff like this and...just DAMN.
Yeah, the one you are thinking of is Yamask from gen 5 as well as Drifloon.

Pokedex entries

Yamask: Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

Drifloon: It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. However, it gets pulled around instead.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Hmm.... I'm actually okay with this. Revamping the old designs is perfectly fine in my book. I haven't really played a pokemon game in a while, but I remember hearing how people hated the new ones. This seems like a fair trade off.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
M0rp43vs said:
Nazulu said:
I dunno, honestly there is no way of tell unless that was the case. Believe me, Them rose tinted Goggles can really colour peoples perspective. That said, it'd be interesting to think what would happen had Trubbish became the main character and have him splayed out on that Japanese plane.(Also, I heard Meowth was slated to be the main character at one point, was that true?)
I hope you're not saying I'm blinded by nostalgia as well. It becomes really annoying after awhile to be called ignorant all the time.

I'm looking at it from just a selling point, Pikachu is iconic because of his look, great colour, cute, well shaped. Trubbish is just fugly (I'm pretty sure that's what he was going for), same with the colours, not something that would stand out at all.

However, if the show with Trubbish had better writing instead of the same thing over and over with Pikachu, I'd watch the version that started with Trubbish.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
TheKasp said:
Terminate421 said:
Jynx and Mr. Mime are far worse. I love it when people who get Nostalgic defensive completely ignore the creepy mime and the ugly chick.

You know whats funny? Nintendo has ignored them as far as we're concerned, the 4th gen brought evolutions for some of the 1st ones like Electabuzz and Magmar but they have ignored Jynx and Mr. Mime (Baby's don't count)
Its not just an ugly chick, it is the stereotypical depiction of a black person.

Jynx has the black skin, lips and form of lips.

So yeah, before people start nagging over gen 5 they should look at the sick shit they pulled of in gen 1.
I think you're jumping to conclusions mate. They've used the black skin and big lips on many cartoons before Jynx. Don't forget the silly Mr. Popo.

Or some other guys

This guys not to far of

And there are many others I've seen since I started watching anime.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Buretsu said:
What if we switch Pikachu and Trubbish? Trubbish gets introduced in Gen 1, and stars in the Anime, and Pikachu comes in Gen 5. Which one would be iconic then?
I just said that in post 125. Pikachu because of his design will always stick out more. The rats the perfect kids choice.

Why do you continue to quote me when you've already called me ignorant from nostalgia? Do you actually take interest in my opinion or are just trying your best to derail me?