New Pokemon Black & White Trailer Reveals Triple Battles, Release Date

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
By triple battles, I thought you might mean 1 vs 1 vs 1. That would have been equally as awesome, if not more so.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Whats makes all this great is it's coming out on the regular ole DS.

Anyway, triple battles can only be good, chaotic fun. I doubt they'll be taken seriously, but I'll love formulating strategies around triples. "Follow Me" is going to see a lot more use.

I disagree with people saying the Pokemon games are getting increasingly worse. They're only outselling all the pokemon games that came before them. G/S sold more than R/B, R/S more than G/S and D/P more than R/S. If anything the games are getting more popular.

And the Pokemon in this generation are the most creative bunch they've had. A sarcophagus with ghostly hands? Yes please. People who say that "they're running out of ideas" be damned, if anything it takes massive amounts of creativity to come up with 500+ monsters that look unique from each other.

Well, Gamefreak did say "When you see these games, you'll say to yourself 'Now this is Pokemon'"

I know I'm already thinking that.

Skullkid4187 said:
3 team battle.....two generations later 4 team battle. It is nintendos weak attempt to make the game interesting.
I'll respectfully disagree with you, sir. If you had played the games long enough you would know that singles and double battles are incredibly strategy driven, like chess. Triple battles do nothing but expand the game. Now you can have a multitude of permutations of your team on the field at a time, and don't forget that now moves like "Follow Me", "Surf", "Perish Song", "Teeter Dance", and many many more will now have a massively greater impact on the tide of battle.

I may be being uncharacteristically optimistic, but I don't see how any harm can come out of this. Double battles SURE weren't the selling point for the 3rd gen, triple battles are definitely not a grab for more buyers.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
Whats makes all this great is it's coming out on the regular ole DS.

Anyway, triple battles can only be good, chaotic fun. I doubt they'll be taken seriously, but I'll love formulating strategies around triples. "Follow Me" is going to see a lot more use.

I disagree with people saying the Pokemon games are getting increasingly worse. They're only outselling all the pokemon games that came before them. G/S sold more than R/B, R/S more than G/S and D/P more than R/S. If anything the games are getting more popular.

And the Pokemon in this generation are the most creative bunch they've had. A sarcophagus with ghostly hands? Yes please. People who say that "they're running out of ideas" be damned, if anything it takes massive amounts of creativity to come up with 500+ monsters that look unique from each other.

Well, Gamefreak did say "When you see these games, you'll say to yourself 'Now this is Pokemon'"

I know I'm already thinking that.
Preach it!

Im excited to see what some of the Evolutions are gonna be.
Especially for that Sand Crocodile and the "Gear" Pokemon.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Radeonx said:
tomtom94 said:
While I think the Pokemon themselves look increasingly stupid, I think the addition of 3v3 battles and decent graphics might make it a worthwhile purchase.
Asturiel said:
I didn't like it when the double battles were in the third gen and I have a feeling I won't like the triples in this one.

Good to know I don't need to do anything but just wait till people are done with it and borrow it.
The Pokemon aren't looking worse, you are just holding on nostalgia glasses. They've looked just as stupid and juvenile as before.

OT: I can't wait for this game. The battles, graphics, characters, new pokemon, and cities all look awesome.
The screenshot shows a Grass-type Cyndaquil lookalike and what appears to be a very badly sprited panda cub.
I'm not impressed.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
tomtom94 said:
Radeonx said:
tomtom94 said:
While I think the Pokemon themselves look increasingly stupid, I think the addition of 3v3 battles and decent graphics might make it a worthwhile purchase.
Asturiel said:
I didn't like it when the double battles were in the third gen and I have a feeling I won't like the triples in this one.

Good to know I don't need to do anything but just wait till people are done with it and borrow it.
The Pokemon aren't looking worse, you are just holding on nostalgia glasses. They've looked just as stupid and juvenile as before.

OT: I can't wait for this game. The battles, graphics, characters, new pokemon, and cities all look awesome.
The screenshot shows a Grass-type Cyndaquil lookalike and what appears to be a very badly sprited panda cub.
I'm not impressed.
I challenge your statement, sir. Tsutarja, the only confirmed grass type we know of, has not even the faintest resemblance to Cyndaquil. Not to mention, Tsutarja is a snake, Cyndaquil is an echidna.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
It looks alright, I was kinda wishing to find out if they'd actually have the pokemon make real sounds that remind me I'm not playing this on my GBC. And while we're at it WHY HAVENT THEY MADE ANOTHER TRADING CARD VIDEOGAME?!?! The first one was one of my favorites, second to maybe Crystal. Other than that I like what I see.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Radeonx said:
Asturiel said:

I'm curious, why did you quote me and say that? I can see how it applied to the other gent but for me I was saying that since I wasn't too fond of the double battle mechanic then I won't likely like the triple battle mechanic, making this game easily skippable for me.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
I like the look of the new ones. Yeah, I do. I'm definitely getting this (although I'll have to get another DS as my top screen has fallen off).

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Asturiel said:
Radeonx said:
Asturiel said:

I'm curious, why did you quote me and say that? I can see how it applied to the other gent but for me I was saying that since I wasn't too fond of the double battle mechanic then I won't likely like the triple battle mechanic, making this game easily skippable for me.
...I honestly don't know.
I'd say it was a mistake, but you were like 4 posts down, so I must've just had a brain fart.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Asturiel said:
Radeonx said:
Asturiel said:

In all fairness, it'll probably be as central to the game as double battles were to Ruby/Sapphire and D/P.

That is, maybe a handful of mandatory triple battles here and there, and you'll never have to put up with it again.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh wow! Very epic! Triple battls now...thats certainly gonna make things fun...heh

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
just the fact that the pokemon are finally animated makes me want it

Tellgraith

May 19, 2010
Gigaguy64 said:
Singing Gremlin said:
Right, I'm calling it. First two pokemon, now three. We'll be seeing full pokemon armies in a turned based (or possibly even real time) strategy game before long.

Catch them, Train them, Battle them, Rule them.

For the first time ever, you will be able to catch and deploy over one thousand on-screen pokemon as, starting with only a single pokemon you build a squad, and then an army capable of defeating the corrupt, tyrannical cabal that is the elite four. As you progress you shall defeat, one by one, the 'gyms' and their lackeys that keep the lands of Johto in check. Will you free the people and their pokemon from the yoke of oppression, or use the gyms to supply you with a stream of new, fanatical recruits?

The fate of the world is in your hands.
........I actually want that.

Make it in the same style as Fire Emblem...and you have another Gold Mine to add to an existing Gold Mine.
Ya, either Fire Emblem or like Digimon World DS.

For those of you who've never played it the battle stile is simple. You have 5 slots for Digimon but you are limited to 3 out at a time and you can have I think six on you at a time. The Attack order was based on speed. In other words if you had someone really fast you'd get 5 attacks in before a slow one gets in 3. Also attacks only ht certain slots, like the outside 2 or a movable 3 adjacent slots.

It was a good game, but the storyline sucked massive monkey balls.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Radeonx said:
...I honestly don't know.
I'd say it was a mistake, but you were like 4 posts down, so I must've just had a brain fart.
There was likely some epic reason that would bring to me to a new chapter of my life and I would thank you forever and ever and give you money and stuff.... but you forgot.
John Funk said:
In all fairness, it'll probably be as central to the game as double battles were to Ruby/Sapphire and D/P.

That is, maybe a handful of mandatory triple battles here and there, and you'll never have to put up with it again.
That is true, there weren't many double battles in Ruby/Sapphire. Just wasn't too pleased they were continuing an idea I didn't like the first draft of I guess.

[sub]However I haven't actually bought a Pokemon game since Crystal so I guess that might be the stronger reason for it.[/sub]

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
ah I see so adding 3v3 battles is adding another gimmick for people to buy it
alright I guess it's worth checking out

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Golem239 said:
ah I see so adding 3v3 battles is adding another gimmick for people to buy it
alright I guess it's worth checking out
Please refer to a post I made on the first page quoting someone who said the same thing, sir.

Tellgraith

May 19, 2010
Dragon Zero said:
It looks alright, I was kinda wishing to find out if they'd actually have the pokemon make real sounds that remind me I'm not playing this on my GBC. And while we're at it WHY HAVENT THEY MADE ANOTHER TRADING CARD VIDEOGAME?!?! The first one was one of my favorites, second to maybe Crystal. Other than that I like what I see.
I wanna see another Pokemon Snap for Wii. That was a great game, and it would definitely fit the Wii.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
tomtom94 said:
I'm not impressed.
I challenge your statement, sir. Tsutarja, the only confirmed grass type we know of, has not even the faintest resemblance to Cyndaquil. Not to mention, Tsutarja is a snake, Cyndaquil is an echidna.
It's obviously just the way the screenshot makes it look then.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Triple battles, hm? Well, they barely used double battles in RSE, but then they went and made the two GameCube spinoffs where it was nothing but double battles...

So maybe this is our ticket to a Wii game with an actual story? But, you know, it's all triple battles.