New Skyrim Patch Will Fix "Long-Term Play" Problems

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Good to known. Now we just confirmation of a pc patch. Loving Skyrim but broken quest, unremovable quest items and the game randomly closing itself does take the shine off slightly.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Oh thank the Gods, I haven't been able to explore the land north of Riften because of that lag, it's still there everywhere else, but not as bad

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
That One Six said:
I've been having issues with the PC version, sadly. My computer shuts down, as if it had overheated, but my GPU is the only piece over 40C, and it doesn't even hit 60C. I'm fairly sure the game is doing it, as a bunch of other people with varying machines are having the same problem.
your psu is overheating, replace it immediately! it can cause major long term stability issues if you let it force your motherboard to shut-down allot

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Been playing around 89 hours and I still haven't had any messed up textures after installing it to my harddrive or experienced any kind of lag on the 360. Found a bugged side-quest and a bugged miscellaneous objective and that's about it.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
Funny, I don't get any performance lag on PS3, I don't get any issues at all other than a few graphical glitches that are common in almost every game (flooring textures that don't connect leaving a small horizontal line of nothingness).
Same here. I don't understand how the problem is not consistent. At one time the frame rate dropped but I still believe it was due to too many hours played and poor ventilation. As soon as I placed my PS3 on the table where it can breathe, the game went back to normal.

It is a shame if other people are having major problems and can't play though.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
Oh wow after them knowing about this bug in their game engine for three years they are finally going to fix it. This issue existed in fallout 3, it existed in new vegas and it exists in skyrim as well. I have absolutely no faith in bethesda either being competant enough or caring enough about its customers to fix this bug.
Yes. The new creation engine is the old engine. Nice logic.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
The Lugz said:
That One Six said:
I've been having issues with the PC version, sadly. My computer shuts down, as if it had overheated, but my GPU is the only piece over 40C, and it doesn't even hit 60C. I'm fairly sure the game is doing it, as a bunch of other people with varying machines are having the same problem.
your psu is overheating, replace it immediately! it can cause major long term stability issues if you let it force your motherboard to shut-down allot
No, it's not. Nothing is overheating. My computer only crashes when playing Skyrim.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
Mike Kayatta said:
A full detailed list has yet to be announced, but Bethesda PR man Pete Hines has confirmed that at the very least, this patch will definitely address "long-term play on PS3," referring to the fact that the longer one plays, the worse the lag gets. He's also assured players that while the patch will be major, no save games or created characters will be affected.
Oh wow after them knowing about this bug in their game engine for three years they are finally going to fix it. This issue existed in fallout 3, it existed in new vegas and it exists in skyrim as well. I have absolutely no faith in bethesda either being competant enough or caring enough about its customers to fix this bug.
You know the following two things:
1. Skyrim is on a different engine than Fallout 3.
and
2. New Vegas was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda.
Right?

The issue may have existed on both engines, but that doesn't mean it's caused by the same thing and can be fixed the same way.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
That's odd, my entire family installed Skyrim to their xbox 360 hard drive, and I don't think any of us have had any scaling issues. It's good to hear that this patch will be out soon though ( now I'm worried this will happen to me :p )

OT: I'm not sure if the giant blasting you to the moon is a glitch, but I hope they never change that. Seriously, its just hilarious!

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Owen Robertson said:
Satsuki666 said:
Yes. The new creation engine is the old engine. Nice logic.
You actually swallowed that story about Creation NOT being slightly prettied up Gamebryo?

Damn dude, if that's true, I got some prime beach property in Nevada I'd like to sell you.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Satsuki666 said:
Mike Kayatta said:
A full detailed list has yet to be announced, but Bethesda PR man Pete Hines has confirmed that at the very least, this patch will definitely address "long-term play on PS3," referring to the fact that the longer one plays, the worse the lag gets. He's also assured players that while the patch will be major, no save games or created characters will be affected.
and
Right?

The issue may have existed on both engines, but that doesn't mean it's caused by the same thing and can be fixed the same way.
Actually...

1.No, it's not. It's still Gamebryo. Whatever you want to call it, it's the same damn engine, with slight updates.

2.The engine was still the same.

Yes...it could be fixed the same way. MAKE A NEW FUCKING ENGINE. GAMEBRYO IS A PIECE OF SHIT.

ehm...

That is all.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
shrekfan246 said:
and
Right?

I was unaware that skyrim was made on a different engine then fallout 3. As for New Vegas it may have been made by Obsidian but it was on the same engine as Fallout 3.
You weren't wrong...Creation is new in the same way digging up that stripper you killed in Vegas and putting make-up on the corpse makes her a "new" girl.

Apr 28, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Satsuki666 said:
Mike Kayatta said:
and
Right?

New Vegas was made by Obsidian, but it was bug tested by Bethesda.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've been playing mucho hours on the 360 and haven't had any real major issues, particularly of a technical nature. There's been the odd corpse freak out or extended bullettime when doing a special melee finisher, but nothing that's really been major at all.

The biggest and most damaging glitch I have personally come across is that my status with Markarth seems to be bugged and I can't apply to be a Thane after being offered once and saying I'd come back later to accept the title (the Jarl said I needed to buy a house first and I hadn't even checked what the price of one there was before he made the offer).

Not saying that the problems noted in the news story don't exist, but I just wanted to throw my own personal experiewnce out there as a counterpoint. Clearly some people are having some rather major issues, but not everyone is experiencing anything game breaking at all. If you're on the fence as fas as getting the game for fear of mass glitches and bugs ruining the experience, don't be.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
erztez said:
Actually...

1.No, it's not. It's still Gamebryo. Whatever you want to call it, it's the same damn engine, with slight updates.

2.The engine was still the same.

Yes...it could be fixed the same way. MAKE A NEW FUCKING ENGINE. GAMEBRYO IS A PIECE OF SHIT.

ehm...

That is all.
I'm not going to dignify you with a proper response because, based on your other posts in this thread, nothing will make you believe Skyrim doesn't run on the Gamebryo engine. So all I'll say is that if it is the "same damn engine", it's had a lot more than "slight updates" because it's vastly superior to Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas, no matter what common bugs the games might share.

Irridium said:
New Vegas was made by Obsidian, but it was bug tested by Bethesda.
And fair enough, I didn't know Bethesda did the bug testing for it.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
My friend who plays on the PS3 got hit with that whole lag problem when he was playing, which was a real bummer. Strangely though, he's reported that once he got past about 11 MB for a saved game, the lag practically disappeared. It's so odd that it might just be some rare exception of him having good luck, but I figured I might as well give those poor souls who are affected by the PS3 a possible solution.

Thankfully, I didn't instal Skyrim to my 360, so I don't have to worry about the texture scaling issues.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I'm not going to dignify you with a proper response because, based on your other posts in this thread, nothing will make you believe Skyrim doesn't run on the Gamebryo engine. So all I'll say is that if it is the "same damn engine", it's had a lot more than "slight updates" because it's vastly superior to Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas, no matter what common bugs the games might share.
Skyrim runs on a slightly updated gamebryo engine they called the creation engine.
It's still the same engine, hence why we still see the same bugs that we saw in the other games.
Though the updated version is vastly superior to the normal gamebryo.