New Star Trek Series Boldly Goes Into Production

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObZuuPgxv4A

All I can say after reading this thread.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Fanghawk said:
and we're excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman
Alex Kurtzman! capable hands!? that is ridiculous the guy is a hack, looking over his writing history and I just shudder. I will probably check the series out when it comes out, but my expectations are so very, very low.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Fanghawk said:
"There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show's 50th anniversary celebration," President of CBS Television Studios David Stapf said.
Fanghawk said:
This Star Trek series will follow the adventures of a new Federation crew, presumably within 2009's rebooted universe.
No better way to celebrate the original show's 50th anniversary then to completely ignore it and go with a different universe.

If they do make it in the original universe I'll be excited, if not I'll not be too bothered about the series.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
"presumably within 2009's rebooted universe."

My thought process:
New Star Trek series? FFFFFF YES!!!!! Finally!
Rebooted universe? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously, I'd hate that SO much. :'(
That summed up my thoughts too, if they followed the rebooted movie then it'd be a bullet between the eye for me.
I want to see a new crew boldly go where no-one has gone before, not see a new cast of the old crew going where we have been many times before.....

Captcha - Cross the Rubicon. How ironic as the Rubicon was one of DS9's shuttles named by Sisko after the river on earth.

EDIT: typo fixing >.<

Neverhoodian said:
I'm still hoping it's set in the Prime universe, though. I'm in the middle of a DS9 binge (my personal favorite), and it made me realize just how badly I miss 90's Trek...
We share the same taste, DS9 is still my favoriate series and my second favoriate Sci-Fi series only after Babylon 5 (which DS9 was doing a good job at ripping off from what I've read)

Neverhoodian said:
On a related note, Star Trek Online is offering some free premium content in light of this announcement. Players can get their hands on the NX-Enterprise and crew uniforms (Prime and Mirror universe variants) for free if they login before Nov. 4th, 10:30 a.m. (PST). Just thought I'd throw that out there for any other STO Escapists.
Although I have the NX already I will most certainly be logging in tonight, thank you for that info dear sir. Perhaps we could do a few STF's sometime if your interested.

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
I think this is going to be so badly handled. And as an Australian I'll probably never get to see it anyway..... so fucking sick of being the bastard cousin of the TV broadcast world....

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Loethlin said:
I'm 100% ok with Abramverse as a setting.
If it's going to be a different sort of crew and new ship, then what does it matter, really? You're not going to be seeing Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto. At best, you'll get Enterprise and her crew mentioned in a conversation every now and then.
But can you imagine an entire episode set on a starship bridge filled with bright lights perpetually shining in your face?
Imagine? Yes. Like it? No.
Luckily the flares are Abrams' thing.
Ohoho, just imagine all the flares in new star wars.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Loethlin said:
undeadsuitor said:
Loethlin said:
I'm 100% ok with Abramverse as a setting.
If it's going to be a different sort of crew and new ship, then what does it matter, really? You're not going to be seeing Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto. At best, you'll get Enterprise and her crew mentioned in a conversation every now and then.
But can you imagine an entire episode set on a starship bridge filled with bright lights perpetually shining in your face?
Imagine? Yes. Like it? No.
Luckily the flares are Abrams' thing.
Ohoho, just imagine all the flares in new star wars.
Can we give this obsession with JJ Abrams and lens flares a rest already? Not only is the internet constantly blowing the lens flares of the 2009 reboot way out of proportion (if all someone knew about that movie was what the internet says about it they'd think that the whole movie was nothing but one giant lens flare which it obviously isn't even close) absolutely EVERYTHING that Abrams has even the barest thread of a relation to since the 2009 Star Trek everybody thinks that it'll be or has been a buttload of lens flares, despite the fact that Abrams has significantly toned the flares down since that movie.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
Can we give this obsession with JJ Abrams and lens flares a rest already? Not only is the internet constantly blowing the lens flares of the 2009 reboot way out of proportion (if all someone knew about that movie was what the internet says about it they'd think that the whole movie was nothing but one giant lens flare which it obviously isn't even close) absolutely EVERYTHING that Abrams has even the barest thread of a relation to since the 2009 Star Trek everybody thinks that it'll be or has been a buttload of lens flares, despite the fact that Abrams has significantly toned the flares down since that movie.
Yeah, alright. *shrug*

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Loethlin said:
immortalfrieza said:
Yeah, alright. *shrug*
Sorry, I'm just sick and tired of hearing that crap, especially since I never even noticed or cared the lens flares were even there in that movie until I heard people on the net constantly whining about it. It's the "Arrow to the Knee" of movie memes.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
Sorry, I'm just sick and tired of hearing that crap, especially since I never even noticed or cared the lens flares were even there in that movie until I heard people on the net constantly whining about it. It's the "Arrow to the Knee" of movie memes.
Oh, I understand. TBH, the flares only bugged me in a couple of scenes in the first one, and only started noticing more when the internet pointed them to me.
But I did think he overdid them in Super 8. That train crash scene was a giant lens flare.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
Rebooted universe? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I don't see anything inherently bad about that, it depends entirely on what they actually plan on doing within that universe. The biggest strength about the various Trek series is that they focussed on different people doing different things - each series followed a different crew exploring different places and discovering different things, which is ultimately what Trek is supposed to be about. There was enough crossover and nods to continuity to clearly tie everything to the same universe, but they were separate enough not to be able to do their own thing.

The big problem with the reboot isn't the universe itself or even the more action-oriented style, it's simply that there's nothing new. We have the same characters filling the same roles while largely the same events play out, with a few twists that aren't really twisty enough to make a significant difference - the second reboot film still has exactly the same villain as the second original film.

If a new series does the same, with established characters visiting places and situations we've seen before, just with a "modern twist" to pretend its new and different, it's going to suck no matter what universe it's set in. But if it follows the classic Trek formula with new characters discovering new life and new civilisations, boldly going and so on, there's no reason being set in the rebooted universe should be a problem. The galaxy is a big place, and there's plenty of room for things we haven't seen before even if it's all happening at the same time as other things we've have seen.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I am very excited for a new series, but I am not at all thrilled about the prospect of it taking place in the rebooted Star Trek timeline. There are bound to be differences now that the Vulcans were nearly wiped out, but it seems inevitable that things we have already seen will end up being redone.

Besides, where were the temporal agents on that one? They'll protect the timeline by saving Enterprise-NX and Voyager from getting destroyed, but decide to give a pass on Vulcan getting destroyed? They put a lot of effort towards fixing stuff in both the Voyager and Enterprise eras, only to make it all utterly pointless as the *entire* timeline gets gutted.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Won't be watching. I have zero interest in another streaming service that I'm charged a monthly fee for. Put it on the TV I already pay for and I'll give it a go. Otherwise, no. I'm not paying any more for TV than I already do. "The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!". Sorry CBS.

I suppose I can always wait for it to end up on NetFlix, or perhaps get the BluRay versions. Assuming it's any good.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
BoogieManFL said:
I am very excited for a new series, but I am not at all thrilled about the prospect of it taking place in the rebooted Star Trek timeline. There are bound to be differences now that the Vulcans were nearly wiped out, but it seems inevitable that things we have already seen will end up being redone.

Besides, where were the temporal agents on that one? They'll protect the timeline by saving Enterprise-NX and Voyager from getting destroyed, but decide to give a pass on Vulcan getting destroyed? They put a lot of effort towards fixing stuff in both the Voyager and Enterprise eras, only to make it all utterly pointless as the *entire* timeline gets gutted.
Not to mention Romulan time agents. BUt then if they prevented the destruction of Romulus, we wouldn't have the Reboot, I guess. (not that this would be a problem for me)

immortalfrieza said:
The complaints about the lens flare might be a bit hyperbolic, but I think they are a legitimate component of JJ's cinematography to critique. Just like the shaky camera work and extreme closeups. Heck, even Mr Abrams himself has said he's gone to far....(though that hasn't stopped the trailer for the new Star Wars from having lens flares of its own)

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Translation: "Seeing as how Star Wars is going to make billions of dollars, we want a slice of that by dragging out a beloved franchise and exploiting the sci fi fan base for our own greed."

...Kill Wesley's character within the first 5 minutes and i can get behind this.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
so far the only official things we know are
a. new crew
b. "seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966"

while my interest is perked im taking a wait and see until more is released. as long as its not the trek version of star gate universe ill be happy i got bored with that when the first 7 eps repeated themselves in plot

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, I suspect this is "Prime" which I was mentioning a while back. There had been rumors based on information coming down from Cryptic about what CBS might have been planning. Basically Cryptic Studios is the developer of "Star Trek Online" and one weird thing about that game is that they need permission from CBS/Paramount whenever they do anything involving canon characters or even within the basic game design. For example Cryptic wanted to allow Androids as captains, but they were told flat out they couldn't do that. Meaning that they have had their eyes on the IP for quite a while, and what's more they have been very careful to keep the "JJverse" separate from the "Prime" universe which is why you haven't seen uniforms, ship designs, or weapon skins or anything based on the JJ movies despite STO being given a lot of leeway to mix and match things from the non-JJ universe.

At any rate the bottom line is that JJ-Trek is considered something separate, and allegedly it's seen as something of a failure in the sense that it didn't draw in the existing, starved, trekkies as well as bringing in a new audience. The TV series and such still remain the focus of the fandom. Allegedly the regular trek continuity is referred to as the "Prime Universe" officially and it consists of ToS, TNG, DS-9, Voyager, and all the movies EXCEPT "First Contact", parts of Enterprise are considered canon but not all of it. Going back years ago the operative title for the new Star Trek series was going to be "Prime Universe" or "Prime" but that was obviously a placeholder name.

I'm calling it now, and while it could be wrong, I suspect it will be a direct sequel picking up a few decades after Voyager, allowing some old Trek actors from that show and TNG to make showings to bridge the gaps. Given how protective they were about the handling of artificial life forms, and not wanting a big focus on them in the MMO, that artificial life will probably be a major plot point, things probably not having gone well for Synthetics after the apparent death of Data despite previous victories for their rights in the series. Probably not the focus of the series, but I suspect it will heavily have to do with the subplots.

Interestingly, given the eye they have kept on it over the years I am wondering how much if any of Star Trek Online's storyline (which can be divorced from the insane gameplay mechanics) will be considered canon as it drew heavily from plot threads left hanging throughout the prime universe. It will be interesting if at some point they say reference to the Iconian War as a past event or have more than one faction of Romulans (Romulan Republic and remnants of the Romulan Star Empire). Given that in recent years former Trek actors have voiced their characters in STO and I'd imagine Cryptic needed permission to do that when it can't even release a new ship or costume without permission apparently it's interesting. I expect no references to the insanity or anyone's character, but I'd be greatly amused if a reference gets dropped here or there. I've heard STO described story-wise as a protracted action scene where plot wise the Federation goes to war and does all the kinds of things hinted at but not shown (due to the story focus), resolving a lot of the wars and conflicts begun in the TV series. STO being pretty much hack and slash Star Trek.

I'm not saying I know anything, just that it's interesting since I had heard about it and commented a few times about the back and forth between Cryptic and the IP owners making it clear they had plans for the continuity established over years as opposed to doing everything based on the reboots.... and let's be honest, the reboots were pushing it, and the entire final bit in the second movie was a huge nod and semi-spoof of the ending of Wrath Of Khan. It sort of depending on you knowing the real version to entirely "get it" and be amused. That's not a healthy sign, and I don't think anyone was expecting the reboots to be taken seriously after that.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
RonHiler said:
Won't be watching. I have zero interest in another streaming service that I'm charged a monthly fee for. Put it on the TV I already pay for and I'll give it a go. Otherwise, no. I'm not paying any more for TV than I already do. "The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!". Sorry CBS.

I suppose I can always wait for it to end up on NetFlix, or perhaps get the BluRay versions. Assuming it's any good.
Yeah, excluding a great deal of your potential audience is always a terrible idea. Seeing as they are giving everybody who actually doesn't want to have to subscribe to a streaming service but also wants to watch this new show literally no other option but to either wait until it hits Netflix or DVD or pirate it they seem to practically be begging for the latter. The fact that it's not on network TV proves they don't have any real faith in the series in the first place.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Therumancer said:
Honestly, I don't think Cryptic being involved would improve anything. They are incredibly lazy writers and I'd be hard-pressed to single out a story development that I'd say was an *improvement* on what came before-perhaps the development of the Remans, but considering they came out of ST Nemesis, that's not much of a high bar to exceed...and it came at the cost of the rest of the Star Empire being thrown out and replaced with a generic Rebel alliance faction.

Their ship designs likewise....oversized pylons, hard angles...everywhere, and an excess of raised panels. Not too enthusiastic in that department either.

I'm actually hoping it *is* set in the NuTrek Universe...all the easier to ignore it.