New Star Trek Series Pitch Approaches Warp Speed

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Nemesis was pretty much the best thing Start Trek.
I originally hated Enterprise but I did because I hated Archer. My brother convinced me that that was the point. They were showing how humanity basically fucked everything up in Archer's progress of learning how to space/time travel like a boss, having no idea how the universe worked prior to getting there.

So I guess I forgive it because of that idea and am perfectly ready for more Star Trek.
Then again I've always been able to ignore cannon I did not like and focus on the parts I did like so worst case scenario I just have no Star Trek.
Best case? I do have Star Trek.

RagingNinja

Dec 13, 2010
Feylynn said:
Nemesis was pretty much the best thing Start Trek.
I dislike most of Nemesis outside of the battle at the end, and even then it is kind of not great.

The whole mind-rape of Troi was daft and put in just to show how mean and evil the wannabe vampires are and to prevent people sympathising with the new Captain Baldy (and lets face it, it is eminently possible to sympathise with the Remans and the clone and what was done to them).

The end of the film was stupid - Frakes and the wannabe-vampire fight to the death over a bottomless pit at the bottom of the ship? That's just insulting.

Nowhere near as good as First Contact, nor the dizzying highs that are Star Trek II, Star Trek VI nor the different but a hell of a lot of fun that was 2009's Star Trek.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
MagicMouse said:
The Lugz said:
LiquidGrape said:
Anything with Roddenberry's original concept as the starting point sounds like a good idea. I really didn't like Abrams' film at all.
And hey, maybe we can finally get that QLGBT character Seven of Nine was supposed to be?

Speaking of...no mention of Voyager in the timeline described in the first paragraph?

um.. slight problem, how can the doctor push the buttons on the console if he just turned off the ability to touch things?

trek.. you so crazee.

Even modern touchscreens are capacitive and not activated by physical pressure.

Science!
yes, but the doctor is photonic, and light does not activate touch-screens ( thank god )
the only way he could activate even a touch pad is when his forcefield is active, surely?

also, i miss thinking about this madness.. i vote for a new series :D

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I'd be happy to see a new Trek series on TV (just make it a good one, please). Gearing more towards a wider audience wouldn't hurt too much either, that way it might actually last a decent number of seasons. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be the time for the Caprica's and SGUs of this world.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I don't like the 'a much younger cast' bit. What, we're supposed to be following a ship full of cadets and people just out of school? I don't like that. I like my officers seasoned and worldly, dangit.

Still, I am a big fan of Star Trek, so I guess I'll give it a shot.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I say sure, as long as Brannon Braga and Rick Berman have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SERIES. Seriously, those guys are like poison to Star Trek.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Yes please.

I enjoy the 2009 movie, and am looking forward to the future film(s).

But Star Trek's true place is on TV. Get a good mix of characters, and MAKE IT WORK!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm neutral as this hypothetical series isn't out. Once the general feel of the writing, the acting and the premise set in I'll judge. Even if it isn't my favorite, if it's good and true to the trekkie universe I say go for it.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
sniddy said:
Ok I'm loving the idea of more trek - It's pretty much a full on nerdgasm BUT

"highly-energized with a much younger cast"

...I immediately think

...and I think I'll be right :'(
You know what's doubly disturbing about that? The went and made Stargate Universe. (Though I'm sure fans will bristle at the little bit of exaggeration.) That skit -wasn't- a parody in SG1, it was a terrifying vision of the future.

It's not that I don't think young 20 some-things don't have anything to offer, just that they should not be the people getting put in command in highly dangerous situation, that any normal person without years of training and experience would cock-up within the first five minutes.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
"It won't follow the timeline established in the 2009 Star Trek film, which he views as an "alternate canon," but will instead stick to the "positive view of the future" as envisioned by Gene Roddenberry in the original Star Trek and TNG series."

Tears. Literal tears running down my face.

Thank you, god.

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
I love Star Trek and secretly hope that the series will get a reboot. Those remastered episodes are ok but really they're like remastered anime series of the 80's. Nothing fresh at all.

So, good luck Star Trek, make trekkies proud :p

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Part of me thinks "yeah, this will be awesome, I miss watching TNG with my dad and the 09 movie was awesome. SWEET!"

Part of me also thinks "If you're just trying to cash in, please don't. I know it's popular again, but you have to treat it with respect."

Then another part of me thinks "Just leave it alone. Make something new instead of trying to re-live the glory days".

Then there's the part of me that always thinks about bacon. That part of me is thinking about bacon.

It's likely going to happen, and I'm not sure how I honestly feel about that. I really really hope it's good.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
MarsProbe said:
I'd be happy to see a new Trek series on TV (just make it a good one, please). Gearing more towards a wider audience wouldn't hurt too much either, that way it might actually last a decent number of seasons. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be the time for the Caprica's and SGUs of this world.
The audience is wide enough, trust me. But for some reason people think it's embarrassing to admit that they watch Star Trek.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
RagingNinja said:
whats with the hate for DS9? The building up to and taking place of the Dominion War was epic.
I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I never got into it was the weak premise of the entire thing. While the other series were about exploration (or in the case of voyager, just getting home) DS9 was set in a space station, stuck in one place, which made it appear less appealing.

MajorDolphin said:
Andy Chalk said:
I can't believe I forgot Voyager. That is seriously damaging to my nerd cred.
Don't worry. Voyager wasn't interesting until the fourth season anyway.
Wait...wasn't that when 7 of 9 turned up...you pervert! (I'm kidding, the 8472/scorpion storyline was pretty good)

I feel like I should defend Voyager. If not simply because at the moment, even Enterprise is getting more respect in this discussion. Then again, the main reason I watched it was because it shared the same timeslot in the UK as Buffy and I was too young to watch the Next Generation on its first run. I guess if I had to defend it, I'd say it used humour more than NG and it had a few characters (Janeway wasn't one of them) and storylines...

...anyway not much of a Trekkie, more of a Warsy (I know that doesn't work, but Star Wars fans don't get a nickname)!

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
The audience is wide enough, trust me. But for some reason people think it's embarrassing to admit that they watch Star Trek.
Admittedly yes, even with the most recent film actually being quite cool and mainstream, "Star Trek will still have to go some way before it really is cool, so hopefully this series will continue the trend of the film.

Anyway, although they mention the likes of Klingons and Ferengi, I do hope a new Trek would be able to branch out on it's own and (literally) explore some new series. I lament the lack of SF series about actually exploring space and what better way to have a series with that theme than with a franchise with a title that itself hints at heading out to explore the stars?

I always like me some more Ferengi though, greedy money grabbing lot that they are...:)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yes, we at TVland are totally out of new and original ideas, so let's bring back a TV show that's already had all it's ideas wrung dry over the last thirty years.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
TwistedEllipses said:
RagingNinja said:
whats with the hate for DS9? The building up to and taking place of the Dominion War was epic.
I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I never got into it was the weak premise of the entire thing. While the other series were about exploration (or in the case of voyager, just getting home) DS9 was set in a space station, stuck in one place, which made it appear less appealing.

MajorDolphin said:
Andy Chalk said:
I can't believe I forgot Voyager. That is seriously damaging to my nerd cred.
Don't worry. Voyager wasn't interesting until the fourth season anyway.
Wait...wasn't that when 7 of 9 turned up...you pervert! (I'm kidding, the 8472/scorpion storyline was pretty good)

I feel like I should defend Voyager. If not simply because at the moment, even Enterprise is getting more respect in this discussion. Then again, the main reason I watched it was because it shared the same timeslot in the UK as Buffy and I was too young to watch the Next Generation on its first run. I guess if I had to defend it, I'd say it used humour more than NG and it had a few characters (Janeway wasn't one of them) and storylines...

...anyway not much of a Trekkie, more of a Warsy (I know that doesn't work, but Star Wars fans don't get a nickname)!
:D Got me!

I really liked Enterprise. The characters were interesting and the show had the benefit of having some undiscovered space. So there was a lot of room and it felt more personal. Even the ship design with serial numbers on every inch of the ship was nice. I have to say, by the time Earth was attacked and the story became heavy and serious they made some strange decision to make the theme music even softer, when it should have been angrier if anything. It should have matched Archers darkness. Strange decision on their part to soften the theme. A tad bit of easy listening to revenge the death of millions?

I've been trying to watch all of Voyager now but the first season is pretty bad. They too had the advantage of unexplored space but some of the story decisions were strange or awkward. I'm still catching up on them so it may get better.

Raso719

May 7, 2011
A younger cast...... that's great. Because we don't have enough young, sexy people on the TV who can't act.

Oh but it sells! How could I counter that argument? Except to say that OTHER things sell as well and the whole young sexy cast thing is just a cop out.

Well so long as it portrays a bright and promising future and doesn't have half the cast trying to bone each other while the other half of the cast deeply hates each other to the point of not being able to function in normal society I'm sure it can't be THAT bad...... Oh except that the dysfunctional cast of character also sells and for some reason an optimistic portrayal of the future disgusts us.

The Morrigan

Wharrgarble
Nov 23, 2010
Hungry Donner said:
I'm certainly not opposed to a new Star Trek series, and setting it post-Voyager is wonderful news.
The Praxis event actually takes place in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, which would be 23rd century... how long is he thinking the Federation had to keep propping up the Klingons following the moon's explosion? The way I read the article, this will actually take place between VI and the start of the TNG timeline.

Either way, I remain cautious following my experience with Enterprise. They, too, tried to go the "younger, hotter" route, which is pretty much the stupidest reason I can think of to make a new Star Trek series (and implies that no one was hot in any of the previous series, which is simply ridiculous). I remember reading an article about Enterprise that talked about it "bringing humor to Star Trek"; it was as if the writer had never watched a single episode before (can we say Trouble with Tribbles?). That right there pretty much destroyed any belief that the series would be anything but a cash grab. This looks to be going in the same direction.

Then again, the secret places in my nerdlet heart do yearn for a new Star Trek TV series. So I'll hang in there for now!