New Study: Most Teenagers are Unaffected by Violent Gaming

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008

this is the 5th study in the last 20 years to prove the same damn thing

BigCat91

May 26, 2008
Everyone here is saying that it was a waste of time and money. Well believe it or not the people who actually need this kind of information also happen to be the one's with the most power. Politicians... I mean do you honestly think that politicians use common sense or look for patterns on their own. Some yes, but look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, or (no offense to conservatives) every republican leader. The thing is these kinds of "Dumb" studies need to be done so people can statistically see the evidence. Science can persuade lots of people, and guess what...science is an objective study, it's not just inferred like we did before. Without objective evidence our point of "video games do not make you violent" is just a theory with one or two pieces of evidence.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I'm actually kind of a pansy. I get a little squeemish at the thought of inflicting violence in even small amounts.

I'll cut a ************ up in a videogame though.

TheJwalkR

May 20, 2009
Ah yes this is great!

I am glad to finally see a study that takes a descent approach to the matter.
Although this will probably not change anything on the parent group side.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Wow. I seem to recall saying this... A lot. You know, the people are already unbalanced stuff. It's more than just videogames. Otherwise why aren't we all rampaging. Sounds familiar.
It's good to see studies on our side. Which means, either this, or those anti-videogame ones must be wrong. Now, this study was actually published, and based on personal experience, I'm going to say this one is right.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
To those who conducted this study: thank you. Thank you very much. Now we have at least one somewhat believable piece of evidence in our defence.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Studies have reached the same conclusion before. Of the massive piles of studies on this subject, most are inconclusive, and a few find results one way or the other. Anyone from either side of the debate can side one of the conclusive studies as data.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Not that I expect many of the individuals who incessantly honk 'anti-game' stuff to listen, but I thank Patrick and Charlotte for providing a more realistic and objective (Is that the right word? Hm...) view of the effects of violent games.

Of course the majority of us gamers already knew about this (especially 'the people were violent/aggressive/had something wrong with them to begin with' conclusion) but it's nice to see said conclusion holding up.

lwm3398 said:
Gamers: 1, Bullshit-spewing Game-hating Michael Atkinson's: 0.
Also another point for science. Don't forget science.

therookie95

Nov 18, 2009
So you get your choice of hug, fist bump, or high five to help me celebrate.
i'll take a combination of all three to celebrate

but yeah i've been playing the kinda games they'd classify as "violent" since I was ten and just about all of my friends did too but were all fine

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
I don't see why anyone outside the psychiatric community should care about this. Gamers will say the stuff that's already been said over and over and over and over again in this thread, anti-gaming alarmists will ignore or dismiss it, and just about everyone else will consider it about as significant or important as an ant fart.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Humans are inherantly social creatures, that is why to fight a war seriously a lot of effort usually has to be taken to demonize/dehumanize the enemy and such to fight wars. Things a lot worse than violent video games, like oh say... gladiatorial bouts, animal fights, and similar things have been around for a very, very long time and were not always illegal, and even when popular hardly turned the average spectator into a murdering psychopath.

Right now the whole violent video game issue is connected to politics, whether it matches their overall platform or not, the left wing is very much out to destroy free speech, and get any kind of a handhold on it that they can. Associating video games with violence, obesity, and other things is a good way to get people to turn to the goverment to "protect us from our own freedoms" and regular things. Opening up a lot of doors. The same can also be said about the slippery slope of attempting to ban things like "Hate Speech" outright.

I've talked about this coming for years as I saw the winds changing, but nobody bothered to listen to me. While it HAS involved both parties, when you've had people like Hillary Clinton spearheading offensives during things like the "Hot Coffee" contreversy you know there is a problem.

Also, while people deny a political bias on part of the "mainstream media" I believe that is very much why you see so much press coverage demonizing video games, and trying to tie every bad thing they can into them. It's less overtly political than most things people usually talk about, but a very good example of the Democrats in power more or less being able to control the media to support what they happen to want.

It's absolutly correct that there isn't much connection between video games and violence, what seems to be there is a political creation, we've all seen how the coverage is slanted. People who are excessively violent, tend to be that way for reasons that have little or nothing to do with gaming. However if something happens, and there is any way a game can be associated with it, the media will be yelling it from the rooftops, and effectively tag teaming back and forth with politicians that are just waiting for people to give away their rights and demand draconian goverment regulation.

Enough rambling, the bottom line is that while this is very political, I recommend you seriously consider who your voting for when the next elections come up. Hillary Clinton (who he appointed to power) and Barack Obama have both sounded off against video games for their own reason for example, maybe you love them for other reasons, but without free speech and expression we have nothing. I doubt many will listen, but in the end when it next comes time to vote, feel free to ignore all the BS about Obama being a Muslim and whatever else might be thrown out there, but remember that he's attacked video games on a health related front, and he also gave Hillary office after his election. Over the last few years, we've also seen things getting more and more hostile towards games.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
therookie95 said:
So you get your choice of hug, fist bump, or high five to help me celebrate.
i'll take a combination of all three to celebrate

but yeah i've been playing the kinda games they'd classify as "violent" since I was ten and just about all of my friends did too but were all fine
Around that age for myself too. *gives all three in no particular order*

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
"A new study"??

Nothing new about it but FINALLY we get some good press...I'm getting the champagne out

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
dududf said:
Next Science research project...

Grass grows, Birds fly, and New yorkers with base ball bats hurt people.
I thought the quote went "Birds grow, I fly, and grass hurts people".

Also, stunning avatar, I must say

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
dogstile said:
dududf said:
Next Science research project...

Grass grows, Birds fly, and New yorkers with base ball bats hurt people.
I swear someone says something like that on every study that pops up here.
Because most of this information is already known by people that actually do research and have common sense, not the fear-mongerers that attack violent video games like they are the next Malaria outbreak.

..But yet, I shall repeat it again.

So.. We need air to breath, water is wet, the sun is hot?