New Suicide Squad trailer - Much funny, such Batman, wow.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Abomination said:
Hawki said:
I'm iffy about the Superman reference. Ideally a shared universe should be able to stand on its own for each installment that doesn't share the same title - part of the reason why I'm iffy about the MCU. That aside, trailer looks fun. And I'm a bit reluctant to criticize the MCU nowadays considering the DCEU has given me one okay film (Man of Steel) and one bad one (Batman v Superman).
That said though, Superman is literally the closest thing to a god anyone could encounter.

He would also be the biggest news worldwide. Everyone's bound to have an opinion of him.

But in the context of the Suicide Squad, I don't see why he needs to be mentioned in the briefing room. They're not a team designed to take down Superman. They'd barely register as a speed bump.
That wasn't my point. My point was that the film is automatically assuming that people have seen Man of Steel despite it being under a separate name. Which is something that rubs the wrong way a lot. I'm not against the idea of a shared universe, but if you're going to interconnect works that have no apparent connection to the everyman, then something's gone wrong.

For example, I could enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy because it stood alone and did its own thing. In contrast, we have a Captain America movie that presumes that you've at least watched the Avengers movies, which also assumed you'd watched all the other MCU movies. So in other words, anyone who wanted to stick to Captain America and didn't care about the other MCU movies is boned.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Goddamnit.

That was probably the most ambivalent trailer I've seen recently. If it wasn't using DC characters I'd be kinda excited. Looks likely to be a perfectly serviceable Will Smith action vehicle. Some explosions, banter etc. Entertaining in that essentially forgettable way the majority of blockbuster films are. But Will Smith is Will Smith, he cannot play an already defined character, the Will Smith just seeps through. An 'Harley', bloody hell, that's just not the Harley I grew up with thanks to the DCAU, and against whom all "alternate character interpretations" will be judged. Then there's the complete mess of the 'Joker'.

So yeah, strip away the DC characters, and you might have a decent flick there, all the DC stuff is doing is creating unfavourable comparisons.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Hawki said:
That wasn't my point. My point was that the film is automatically assuming that people have seen Man of Steel despite it being under a separate name. Which is something that rubs the wrong way a lot. I'm not against the idea of a shared universe, but if you're going to interconnect works that have no apparent connection to the everyman, then something's gone wrong.

For example, I could enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy because it stood alone and did its own thing. In contrast, we have a Captain America movie that presumes that you've at least watched the Avengers movies, which also assumed you'd watched all the other MCU movies. So in other words, anyone who wanted to stick to Captain America and didn't care about the other MCU movies is boned.
I didn't have a particular problem with them referencing Superman, because all they do is basically say he exists. I am pretty sure that pretty much everyone in the world aged 1-100 knows who Superman is. Quite certain that there are long lost jungle tribes that have never seen a white man before that could draw you an accurate rough sketch of Superman.

But as far as interconnecting all of the movies...well that's the whole idea of these shared universes, and it is pretty much mimicking the way that comic books work, except you can get caught up with a dozen movies rather than fifty thousand comic books. I'd also be willing to bet that someone that has never seen any non-Captain America movies will be able to follow the Civil War story just fine, it just wont be as rich a tapestry to them.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Agent_Z said:
Harley's costume looks nothing like it does in the costume. This is the closest I could find to what Whorely Quinn wears in the movie (and even that I feel is an oversexualization of the character):

Compared to

Ya know, I really, REALLY didn't like the new Harley look when the first footage came out, but I was willing to let it slide because it seemed to fit the tone of the movie. And I liked the tone of the first trailer. Unlike with Superman, I feel that the premise and cast of Suicide Squad fit the darker tone DC seems to be going for much better. But now that they seem to be going for a lighter tone I'm beginning to question why the design of the film needs to be so gritty. The two things just don't click for me. As for Harley herself, sexing her up just feels... wrong. She's a clown first and foremost, even the comic you posted had that on the front, but the movie design seems to be more... I don't know, the collar, the torn shirt, the panty-pants, you notice all that before the clown motif, so it puts the sexiness up front. That makes sense for Poison Ivy or Catwoman, but that wasn't why Harley Quinn got so popular

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Abomination said:

Welcome to the world of Comic Book Superheroes where even the solo stories have to shoehorn in elements of the bigger universe :p

Sep 14, 2009
ehh.....

the bohemian rhapsody trailer was way better, this one makes me think it looks worse than BvS, which is impressive to say that out loud. the humor was terrible and I dont' think I' even smiled once, let alone chuckled at all.

there is a 90% chance I'm avoiding seeing this in the theater, which is crazy because I've damn near seen every comic/superhero movie to date in the theater that was possible.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
First Bohemian Rhapsody and now Ballroom Blitz, instead of making a new soundtrack did they just copy Wayne's World?

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
First Bohemian Rhapsody and now Ballroom Blitz, instead of making a new soundtrack did they just copy Wayne's World?
I'm making my prediction for next trailer. Dreamweaver switching into Foxey Lady.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Fox12 said:
Nazulu said:
Reed Spacer said:
This looks avoidable. Does anyone else think this looks avoidable?
Oh yeah. This modern humour trend is the worst fucking thing. It's as bad as shoving in meme's were all tried of. I've heard all these shitty awkward jokes before that were in this trailer. I swear I have! Or they're just that samey in all these crappy hero movies.
Yeah, it's really bothering me. I guess it's a reaction against the whole dark and gritty thing, but it just seems so... Shallow. The way things are, a film can be pretty mediocre, but as long as there a few laughs, people don't care. Why does everything have to be funny and lighthearted?
I never considered my standards to be high, I just hate seeing the same comedy used in so many familiar movies. I would prefer it a lot more even they at least tried to make some of these a little more subtle like how it was written in the Blade movies or Independence Day. I can't get into any of the new films because it always feels like they write them for the same bloody audience! Not to mention this type of comedy just makes the entire cast seem juvenile and goofy. It's comparable to Scary Movie.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Pluvia said:
I don't really expect WB to change. In fact having a dark film when your lead character ISN'T an immortal alien god is exciting to me. I mean its been known for ages that Marvel have better heroes, DC have better villains (usually the Batman ones) and this is a movie that's basically a bunch of Batman villains going on a mission. That sounds cool as fuck and a breath of fresh air in superhero movies.

Hating it because it's WB or because it's not like a cartoon just seems a bit unfair. Like it didn't matter what the trailer was in that case.
Never said I hated it because it was WB or because it's not like a cartoon. In fact, never said I hated it at all. However because it is WB I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when they are being unfaithful to the characters and source material, because they have seemed almost ashamed that these personas originated in a comic book. I still hold out hope, but it's up to DC/WB to convince me that they're not going to hurt me again. My heart can only take so much.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Ι don't know, I liked it. The worst thing I can say about this trailer is that it's not particularly different to the previous trailer, but generally I'm on board with this movie.

Then again, I liked BvS too, so I'm in the minority anyway.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Pluvia said:
I'm going to be honest; apart from Harley I know very little about those characters. But I'm going to guess that maybe apart from Deadshot they're all very 1 or 2-Dimensional (like The Joker). The Harley I know is the Injustice one, and a bit of Arkham, and this Harley seems pretty similar to both (though closer to Injustice).

The rest of them? Like this is supposed to be a gritty real world, and we have people like Captain Boomerang or a guy who.. makes knots? I'd argue the farther away those characters are from their cartoon versions, the better. And the witch seems to be the bad guy judging from the trailer, so making the witch that possessed her even more evil is fine in my book.

A bit of a funny side-note here; it looks like Deadshot only kills bad people. That means he's exactly like Batman in this universe; a mass murderer who shoots people.
Naw, Deadshot is a hired assassin and he couldn't care less about killing innocents as collateral damage. Funnily enough he began as a vigilante that never misses but refuses to kill (after accidentally killing his brother while a youth). When he is exposed as working for one of the crime families and being sent to jail by Bats, he comes out a changed man. I can understand your point about some of the goofier characters and trying to make them less so, but my counter would be, why use those people at all? There have been dozens of members of the Suicide Squad over the years, so they could just choose more serious baddies to begin with.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
It's not changing my mind. Like both of the prior DCU movies, I started liking the idea after I heard the first news about the movie. And then every single entertainment story, teaser, trailer, photo... released makes me worry more and more as it all starts sounding worse and worse. I thought the last trailer made me give up on SS until I could stream it for a dollar rental... now I'm not even that excited. None of the added comedy in the dialogue sounds particularly clever, the characters seem to be the most generic cliff notes versions the characters they are based on, and the action... well it looks OK. But how OK will that action look after they add in the Snyder-o-vision action shaky-cam that ruined MoS and ruined the action scenes of BvS?