New Super Smash Bros. Roster Discussion

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Since PSALBR is retardedly numb to this point, and Hideo Kojima lent Snake last time, can we get Jehuty in here? Perfect melee, mid range fighter.

Also somehow Nintendo made the Wii fit trainer look kind of cool. Good for them.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
I predict that Marth is safe as the Fire Emblem representative, meanwhile Chrom will replace Ike, Lucina will be an alternate skin for Marth, and Lyn will be added. Of course I would take Roy over all of them in a heartbeat.

I also predict Luigi will return and use the Poltergust to differentiate him from Mario a little more, one or more of the new Pikmin characters will replace Olimar, and at least one other third-party character will appear.

Other characters I want to see:
Tom Nook
Mr. Resetti
Tiny Kong
Banjo and Kazooie (a guy can dream can't he?)
Chibi Robo
A Pokemon Trainer from a different region
Black Shadow (f-Zero needs more representation)
Palutena
Doctor Robotnik/Eggman
Sora (again, I can dream)
Paper Mario
Leif
Alm
Seliph
Black Knight

I'm probably forgetting some, but there ya go.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Xcell935 said:
Requia said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Give us a second Metroid character please!

Metroid is considered one of their big franchises, but Samus is the only playable they have ever had in the games. Mario has heaps, Starfox has a couple, Zelda too and even DK got Diddy in the last one. Heck, Kirby got two more characters in brawl.

Make it happen, please!
Who though? A random pirate, Ripley? Samus is the only recurring character that makes any sense to me.
Why not the Metroid universe's other bounty hunters? You've got the ones from Hunters and Prime 3 to pick from. But the one I want for sure...

-RUNDAS! This guy is so chill character wise (no pun intended), would have a pretty wide movest, is one of the most emotionally engaging, memorable, and challenging boss fights in the Prime series, and don't even get me started on his theme...
Thanks for the emphasis? Almost looks like you just copied my post about Rundas XD Even the no pun intended bit.

I agree with you on Travis, he would be an awesome addition and I'm pretty sure the people behind his games would love it as well.

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
Requia said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Metroid is considered one of their big franchises, but Samus is the only playable they have ever had in the games. Mario has heaps, Starfox has a couple, Zelda too and even DK got Diddy in the last one. Heck, Kirby got two more characters in brawl.

Make it happen, please!
Who though? A random pirate, Ripley? Samus is the only recurring character that makes any sense to me.
I vote for Dark Samus; she's essentially the mascot of the Prime series and she's got a ton of unique and interesting abilities (Somewhat ironic for a character named Dark Samus).

I'd vote for Ridley too, but he already gets enough fan-love.

Other fun ideas (That I don't think would work due to them being side-characters in a single game) are Anthony and Rundas. But for the love of God, please, no Adam Malkovich. We don't need those old wounds opened again.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
Xcell935 said:
Requia said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Make it happen, please!
Why not the Metroid universe's other bounty hunters? You've got the ones from Hunters and Prime 3 to pick from. But the one I want for sure...

-RUNDAS! This guy is so chill character wise (no pun intended), would have a pretty wide movest, is one of the most emotionally engaging, memorable, and challenging boss fights in the Prime series, and don't even get me started on his theme...
Thanks for the emphasis? Almost looks like you just copied my post about Rundas XD Even the no pun intended bit.

I agree with you on Travis, he would be an awesome addition and I'm pretty sure the people behind his games would love it as well.
Oops...

I guess you beat me to the joke without my knowledge... we both seem to share the same minds, fellow Pro-Rundas college.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Xcell935 said:
Oops...

I guess you beat me to the joke without my knowledge... we both seem to share the same minds, fellow Pro-Rundas college.
All good, any friend of the Metroid series is a friend of mine XD plus it's just another vote, I just thought it was uncanny, I actually had to read it twice XD.

Toxic Sniper said:
Requia said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Make it happen, please!
I vote for Dark Samus; she's essentially the mascot of the Prime series and she's got a ton of unique and interesting abilities (Somewhat ironic for a character named Dark Samus).

I'd vote for Ridley too, but he already gets enough fan-love.

Other fun ideas (That I don't think would work due to them being side-characters in a single game) are Anthony and Rundas. But for the love of God, please, no Adam Malkovich. We don't need those old wounds opened again.
Nice to see more Metroid supporters! I'd be happy with Anthony as well, would be interesting.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
God let them cut down the Starfox clones: nobody wanted Wolf! Just waiting for the reveal that this time we get Fox, Falco, Wolf and Slippy with four LandMASSSTAAAARRS covering the stage and identical moves >_>

OT: Wii Fit trainer. F*ck yes. Though are the new characters just routinely whupping the old ones, I swear Megaman kicked the s*** out of Mario, Link and Kirby.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Ike will be cut in favor of Chrom/Lucina. (They keep the first FE protagonist, and swap out for the latest one.)
I know they won't do it, but I'd like it if they did Travis Touchdown.
Lucario will probably be cut for a more current generation Pookeymans.
Luigi might get an alternate "Vacuum Luigi" character, kind of like Dr. Mario, but with more unique gameplay.
Ray. Doesn't matter which one.
I'd like Ridley, but they haven't listened to me for the last two games on that point. Why would they start now?
I'm disappointed they aren't calling it Smash Bros. Rumble. Then they could call the next one Smash Bros. Riot.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Not so much my wish-list, but what I'm randomly saying could happen based on existing franchises and WTF-factor:

-Wolf-Link + Midna: Twilight Princess

-Monita: Nintendo Land (maybe a ROB skin?)

-Phoenix Wright

-Blue + Yellow Toads (New Super Mario)

-"New-Mew" or whatever the hell he's called

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Fappy said:
and either get rid of or rework Toon Link so that he's worth keeping around
Hey man, Toon Link was my favorite. His speed and flow are so much better than Link's that I can hardly play as Link anymore.

In any case, I think they need to trim down the Star Fox cast or at least improve on their diversity. I don't mind Falco, but try making him a slightly unconventional air combatant since the major air-based characters are limited to characters like Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Meta Knight. Wolf can probably go because I don't see how you can make his moveset different than Fox's without ignoring their character, not to mention the difference between him and Fox in terms of stats are minimal compared to Link/Toon Link or even Captain Falcon/Ganondorf.

As for other characters: The Pokemon trainer seemed to be stretching things in terms of trying to give a speed, balanced, and power character all in the same character and just overdid the Zelda/Sheik transformation idea. Marth and Ike need to be vastly different if you're going to keep both around as, even if Ike is far stronger than Marth, Marth still seems a little slow to be an alternative to Ike (granted, I prefer Marth). I'm sure getting rid of Ganondorf would mean little since Captain Falcon is already strong as is, and most people seem to pick him over Ganondorf any day. With the Wii Fit Trainer coming, I'd imagine they should just get rid of Game&Watch or R.O.B., considering it seems to be a similar concept of bringing a character that you'd never think should belong to the mix. Meta Knight would have to go if they can't figure out a way to balance him, as he singlehandedly broke Brawl's balancing. There's also DeeDeeDee and Olimar that I wouldn't mind see going, but that is due mostly to bad memories of fighting those characters...DAMN YOU OLIMAR!

In any case, characters I hope to see added or changed are:
Mario--Go back to his Melee move set. The few, even if minor, changes in Brawl just made him a less appealing character.
Shulk or Travis Touchdown--I'd imagine these two would be similar. I'd picture Nintendo going with Shulk, considering he is a first party character, but I know Suda said he wanted Travis in Smash Bros. I would never want to see both unless they don't take their similar looking weapons as a sign to make them clones of each other.
Paper Mario--What? He'd be more different from Mario than Luigi is. Maybe use him to replace whoever the Trainer doesn't replace.
Ray 01--I know he was an assist trophy in Brawl, but I'd want to see him as a character.

Well, that's really all I can think of at this point.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Not sure why they decided to use Other: M Samus, I guess they're really trying to convince everyone it wasn't a pile of crap. There's so many better choices. :|

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Here are the characters that I wanted to see.

Raz (Psychonauts)
Zack (Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends with You)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Tim (Braid)
Jack (MadWorld)
Rad Spencer (Bionic Commando)
Guybrush (Monkey Island)
Bayonetta ( Bayonetta)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Mickey Mouse (Epic Mickey)
Juliet Starling (Lollipop Chainsaw)

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Wolf is my favorite character in Brawl, so it's sad that he probably won't be in this one.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I'd love to see some Castlevania characters. Alucard, Dracula or Shanoa to name a few would be really cool to play as.

Also Phoenix Wright/Miles Edgeworth would be amazing.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Snotnarok said:
Not sure why they decided to use Other: M Samus, I guess they're really trying to convince everyone it wasn't a pile of crap. There's so many better choices. :|
Either we're looking at different Smash Brothers promos, or we have very different ideas of what the Other M suit looked like?

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Alright, the new Smash is well on it's way to being awesome already, and it's only JUST been announced today! As for the potential roster, here's a few logical guesses:

The original 12 fighters from Smash are almost certainly going to come back for this one. Yes, even Jigglypuff.

Any character that was in both Melee and Brawl also has a higher-than-average shot of making it in.

Also, here's my list of characters from Brawl that probably won't be returning:

Lucario
Toon Link
Wolf
Lucas
Ike

As for Snake, I think it's a bit too early to tell either way. Sonic, on the other hand, has a good shot at coming back, considering how chummy Nintendo and Sega have been lately.

Anyways, here's my predictions on likely characters:

Mewtwo has a good shot at coming back. Considering he was one of the most lamented losses from Melee, and that Lucario is likely going to be gone, and that Mewtwo is getting a new evolution in the newest Pokemon game, he's got pretty good odds.

Little Mac's inclusion in Brawl only as an Assist Trophy kinda felt like a snub in my book. He really deserves a shot in the new game, more than most. Especially since he's had a new game since Brawl came out.

As others have said, since Namco is helping make this game, Pac-Man is also highly possible. Especially when you consider that recently, he was in ANOTHER crossover fighting game.

I also think that the Mii might have a shot at getting in, although I'm slightly hesitant on this one. Partly because I feel like the Villager fills the slot that he would gotten, and partly because the Wii Fit Trainer fits this as well.

But really, at this point I'll be happy as long as they don't forget to put Mr Game and Watch in there.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
Requia said:
Snotnarok said:
Either we're looking at different Smash Brothers promos, or we have very different ideas of what the Other M suit looked like?

I don't know, it looks pretty similar to me

but frankly, at least to me, the differences between the suits is so minor it doesn't really matter.
Hmm, the other Other M screens I've seen (not played it) had a much more yellow suit.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Fappy said:
Also, who do you think will join the cast for the first time (both 1st and 3rd party characters)?
Going by what I've seen in this thread and many like it all over the internet, I think people aren't seeing the obvious choice.

-Recently starred in a movie about Video game world's colliding
-Included Nintendo characters
-Nintendo showed great interest in "working" with the Wreck it Ralph team after success of film
-Art style already resembles current smash characters
-Already was an exclusive character for the wiiU version of Sonic Allstar Racing.

Connect the dots people, connect the dots...

jimClassic

Jun 4, 2008
Villager from Animal Planet, and the Wii Fit Trainer? What the hell....
If those two are replacing existing Smash characters then I will be disappointed.
I think Dr. Robotnic should make it into Smash; I'm hoping they keep Sonic.
I'm happy Mega Man finally made into Smash. I was confident he was going to make it into Brawl, but it never happened.