Nintendo Apologizes to Fat Kids

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
I love how this thread became a heavy philisophical debate from Nintendo calling kids fat.

Don't mind me, please, carry on!

May 7, 2008
BlueMage said:
A Username Not In Use said:
marfoir(IRL) said:
Skrapt said:
I think it was wrong to laugh, but people really do complain and nitpick over every little thing now a days...
Dont worry, I laughed too.
Oh, and someone who is "devastated" from being called fat by a game is clearly insecure.
Insecure. You clearly are one of those little shits that dispences the insults but have never been on the reciving end. For eleven years at school I was insulted primerally for my weight which got worse as I would eat for comfort, which meant I got bigger and th insults became more frequent, not just from students, but some of my teachers and even total strangers in the street. I'm twenty six now and I am only just starting to come to terms which what I went through during that time, and thanks to coucilling sessions and some pill enduced happiness I have stopped comfort eating, and as a result my weight is dropping rapidly, but I am shocked at just how badly damaged I became emotionally, and physically, because of my "insecurity".

The problem is you people don't think about how much damage name calling can do to a person and the fact some of you found this funny fills me with discust.
And yet, if you had been proactive sooner, the motivation for most to tease you would've been gone sooner. Perhaps it is wrong that they teased you, but all along you had the power to change that, and you chose not to use it, and you cannot blame others for that.

And please don't insist I don't know what it's like - I know only too well myself. Kinda happens when you're a) intelligent, b) well off, and c) the new person in a hicksville town. The key difference is I was also constantly called gay.
But I tried, I sought help from my parents but they didn't understand just how bad it was until I had nearly finished school, and my teachers, who were suppost to be their to help me, but they were as much help as an anvil is to a drowing man, and don't ask what about friends, as out of the few that I had, none of them ever stood up for me when others were humiliating me. It is true that if I could have become more proactive earlier rather than literly barracde myself in indoors, and escaping into my own little fantasy worlds, to avoid even the sightest chance of making contact with anyone I could have found happiness earlier.

However I should have not been responsable for the changes alone, take you people, I joined this argument as I found your comments on finding humour at other peoples distress highly distasteful, yet I have not seen a signle comment taking back you statements, you continue to find the idea of a little girl in tears funny, yet in the above argument, it is this same girl who has to take action to stop herself feeling bad, not the people who laugh at her pain.

I am working towards overcoming what I went through, I even signed onto the Friends Reunited website, explained my story, and during the time since joining, not a single person has emailed me to apologise for what they did, like you they are either to bigotted, or too arogunt to see their own faults, I know mine, and I admit to them, and when people point others out I no longer take it as a personal insult, and one fault which I know is very counter-productive the the fact that even if somebody did apologise, I doubt if I'll ever forgive them, and I hate that I feel that way.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
WhiteFangofWar said:
Wow, and here I thought this was going to be another mutual 'Jack Thompson' incident we could all have a laugh over, but there's some nicely deep stuff here about modern instances of prejudice and how to overcome them.

That being said, I don't believe Nintendo has any reason to apologize for 'insults' in a game, especially unintentional ones in a physical examination. Guitar Hero has style rankings from 'YOU ROCK' to 'YOU SUCK' and the latter hasn't caused a lawsuit for gross mental anguish... Yet. I can't even COUNT the number of games that gleefully insult it's players in one case or another. Wii Fit isn't even doing that- it simply listing a score based on weight measurements, just like a scale in a doctor's office. If that scale's needle pops out of the glass casing a la Garfield, do you sue the doctor? The manufacturers?

They're probably sending another lawsuit to MacDonald's or whatever that store is that they're in. For making them fat.

Personal accountability, how I miss thee.
Is it me or are you the first one to mention Jack Thompson here?

We need a Godwin's law variant here as well, like, you know, blah blah blah, page 1; blah blah blah, page 2; blah blah blah, 2011; blah blah blah Jack Thompson!

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
qbert4ever said:
Inspired by User, but aimed at the general public...
The problem is that most parents coddle their kids to much. The sad truth of the world is that life is hard, and people are dicks. I'm not trying to justify being a dick, but crying about it won't solve anything. You need to be able to shrug it off, and since nobody else (Read: parents) seems to be teaching that, I'm going to help.

Step 1: Someone calling you names? Call 'em names right back. Ask them to cause a vacuum on certain parts of your body. Attack various parts of their looks that can't be helped with names like "pizza face", "four-eyes", "turkey neck", and "huge gaping vagina".
Step 2: Make use of what you have. People calling you fat? Sit on them. I never make fun of fat people (to their face) for fear of a giant ass being the last thing I see. Too small for that? Burn down their house. Na, just kidding. But sack-taping (also called "nut-knocking") will do just fine.
Step 3: DON'T GET OFFENDED. Having a thick skin is a must because chances are, if you take it far enough, then the person that started shit will be the one that ends up crying. People are vultures that can sense weakness a mile away, so save the tears for your pillow.
Following these three (mostly serious) steps is only the beginning. It's up to YOU to decide how other people treat you, and to do that you need to be able to dish it out as well as take it.

And as far as the article goes...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yeah but you can't do that to a video game can you.

Anyway, I think the Wiifit should not have included the "Your a fat ***** and no one likes you, and chances are your adopted" title. Also I think that if Wiifit called those who get a laugh at this article fat then their attitude will change, change very quickly.

It is true some people need to harden the fuck up (long live chopper) but you have to realise that a lot of people play video games to escape the insults, to enter a land where they aren't insulted because of their appearance.

GenericWit

May 16, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Actually your original comment was talking about being psychologically conditioned--what else can the question: "I don't know what kind of kids are into playing Wii for exercise when they could be outside... you know... running around." be referring to?

EDIT:

I haven't heard of people losing weight just by being ready to.
Neither have I; however, have you ever heard of someone losing weight that *wasn't* ready to?

In other words, although it may not be a *sufficient* step, it may be a *necessary* step.
Umm... I'm tired of this thread so it'll be the last time I reply here. My quote, which has the word "exercise" in it actually was about "exercise" not about being psychologically ready to blah blah blah so I think you're wrong there. But whatevs.

And the second one, yeah I have heard of people who have lost weight before they meant to/were ready to. Back when I was in band, as a section leader, I knew this guy who was pretty overweight, and he said he was going to start losing it after the marching season ended, and he was totally freaked out about eating better and whatnot, but through the exercise, he actually did lose something like 40 pounds over the season so... yeah, I'll leave it at that.

And props to whoever said that taking offense to something is your own choice or something along the lines of that. So very true.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Eye Spider said:
Fire Daemon said:
It is true some people need to harden the fuck up (long live chopper) but you have to realise that a lot of people play video games to escape the insults, to enter a land where they aren't insulted because of their appearance.
I agree, but in this case it sounds like the game isn't insulting people for their physical appearance (how can it, it doesn't have eyes), it is commenting on the player's BMI rating. That is an inescapable medical fact and if even that can't be said in plain terms for fear of offending then we've become a society of pussies.
I agree with the society of pussies argument but we don't need to become a society of hateful jerks who walk around insulting each other either just to not be a society of pussies.

There is a happy middle ground but no one can be bothered to look for it.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
That is totally untrue. Not taking offense to someone insulting you makes you a doormat. Now, not *suffering psychological harm* from someone insulting you because you choose not to, that's a different story. That kind of response does not preclude labeling the person insulting you a dick and calling for them to shut their ignorant ass up.

I really don't see why everyone thinks it's so noble to shrug off people trying to hurt you. I don't care if someone hurts me or not when they attack me--it offends me that they *tried* to hurt me in the first place. And I like to make those people pay...
So you're really being hurt by the intent, not the actions or words? Exactly what I got at earlier. That intent is what matters, not the actual action. The offending party still succeeds when they get what they intended to get, though--response from the offended party.
As far as the high ground goes, of course there is nobility in taking it. If you can't grasp that, well, have fun going blind with pointless eye-for-and-eye bullshit.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
There's a difference between vengeance and deterrence.
You think you're that intimidating? Jah, make me laugh, kiddo. The fact that you're worried about getting your ass kicked through life makes me laugh as well. Maybe when you're a bit more mature, you'll understand.

As an adult, there is no laughing "them". That silly shit disappears after high-school. But since you seem to be of that age, yeah, go for it. Kick someone's ass if you really think they have it coming and that's going to make all the difference in the world--hopefully that works out for you.

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
righthanded said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
There's a difference between vengeance and deterrence.
You think you're that intimidating? Jah, make me laugh, kiddo. The fact that you're worried about getting your ass kicked through life makes me laugh as well. Maybe when you're a bit more mature, you'll understand.

As an adult, there is no laughing "them". That silly shit disappears after high-school. But since you seem to be of that age, yeah, go for it. Kick someone's ass if you really think they have it coming and that's going to make all the difference in the world--hopefully that works out for you.
So much for you taking the 'high ground', hmm?
Were you insulting me? Was I insulting you? I honestly think you're a highschool aged kid that is looking at the world through that prism. If you're not, well, I could see how calling you a highschooler might be insulting. I thought we were two people trading ideas. Are you trying to pick an e-fight with me or something? Did I miss the part where the e-gloves came off?