Nintendo Apologizes to Fat Kids

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
righthanded said:
Were you insulting me? Was I insulting you? I honestly think you're a highschool aged kid that is looking at the world through that prism. If you're not, well, I could see how calling you a highschooler might be insulting. I thought we were two people trading ideas. Are you trying to pick an e-fight with me or something?
I'm just pointing out to you that you don't actually believe in taking the higher ground. You advocate it in your arguments, but you don't practice it, you don't act in conformity with those ideals in your behavior.
if you want to discuss Wii Fit and BMI or whatever, keep posting in this thread. If you want to discuss the high ground, pm me.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
BlueMage said:
And yet, if you had been proactive sooner, the motivation for most to tease you would've been gone sooner. Perhaps it is wrong that they teased you, but all along you had the power to change that, and you chose not to use it, and you cannot blame others for that.
Umm, yes--yes you can. If someone starts hitting me with a bat and I say 'no' but don't move, that doesn't give them the right to keep hitting me with a bat, does it? Now not only do we have to retreat before the dicks of the world if we can before using force against them, but if we don't retreat what they are doing becomes acceptable?

You're blaming the victim here.
No dude, you're missing the point. The point is that you should never put yourself in that type of position in the first place. And if you do, then you need to learn your lesson and not do it again. Take your example for instance; if someone is hitting you with a bat, you need to say "what did I do to get in this position?" If you're walking through New York back alleys in the middle of the night, you kind of have to expect something bad to happen. As for being made fun of if your overweight, why are you overweight in the first place, and why don't you do something to get thinner, or to earn the respect needed for people to stop making fun of you? If it's something you can change about yourself to get people to stop making fun of you, then do so. Either work out, ignore it, or take a baseball bat to some knee-caps. I'm not justifying the people that go around making fun of fat kids or attacking people in alleyways, but the world is tough and you need to learn how to cope.

At any rate, you can't really compare physical to mental violence. Words only hurt if you let them, and if you don't have the ability to say "fuck you" and walk away, then that's your parents fault for not helping you with it.

And as far as the murder thing, it kind of depends. If you walk up to a guy you know is a killer and shoot him in the face, you're still a murderer. The only time it would be justified is if the murderer is about to kill you or another person.

Funny thing, this started off as a five sentence post. I guess I'll know tomorrow weather writing at 1 in the mourning turns me into a genius, or bat-shit insane.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Alright, I can see where you're coming from Cheese, and I suspect we are agreeing with each other through different means. However it's really friggin late where I am right now, so I need to get some sleep. But if this thread is still alive, and I can somehow manage to pull a logical opinion out of my ass, I will definitely be back tomorrow. Bad timing really, I find a thread where I can have a well thought out opinion, and it's on the day of my dad and uncles (twins) 50th birthday party. To say the day has been hectic would be a gross understatement.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
nice, maybe we should turn gamestop into a check ids at the door type place and sell videogames like cigarettes and beer, seriously if a game like wii fit is "banned for kids" then not a damn thing is safe for kids these days, or even better maybe we could put kids in little bubbles that only lets their parents talk to them and then they can put their ideas straight into kids heads without worrying about outside influences having an oportunity to give the kids their own opinions on stuff. then we'd be trully safe...

Malignis

May 17, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Skrapt said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
How does insulting bigots make one a bigot? That's like saying 'killing an armed soldier who is killing unarmed civilians makes you a killer of unarmed civilians'. It just doesn't make sense.
Of course it does, killing a murderer, makes you a murderer, regardless of whether it was right or wrong.
No dude--it *really* doesn't. The word 'murder' means 'someone who commits a wrongful killing'. You might as well be arguing about married bachelors.

Sorry--you're just 100% wrong here.
You are making a straw man argument here, perhaps without meaning to. I believe what he means is that killing a killer (A killer being defined as someone or something that kills) does not make you any less of a killer yourself.

Here is the definition of a bigot:
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

Being bigoted against bigots, DOES IN FACT MAKE YOU A BIGOT.
Everyone is a bigot, but only the people who will admit it are the ones you can trust.
I myself am bigoted against:

People who are stupid/ignorant by choice.
People who don't give credit for the actions of others, or take the blame for their own actions.
People who take everything too friggin seriously.
Anybody who attempts to be politically correct.
Any advertisement that uses animals talking in a child-like voice in an attempt to be cute.
Bigots.

EDIT: Trying to keep your kid safe from the evil in the world is a noble cause, but they will eventually have to go out into the world themselves. If you have opted to protect them from all evil instead of giving them the tools to defend themselves from it, and combat against it, then they will be completely destroyed or consumed by it when the time comes and you are not there to take the blow for them.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life" sort of sums it up. Don't give them what they need, give them the ability to get what they need for themselves.

I do tend to ramble on.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
"anonymous father". I smell the Daily Mail made up crap again...

I for one would prefer if the video game told people they were obese. No point in buying a fitness product that's going to lie to you, is there?
I mean, if I were that kid in the picture stepped on that thing and it said "Wow, you're healthy!" I, who would know by now my physical state, would be appauled it was just trying to feed on my character flaws for a quick buck.

I also personally think any parent who doesn't stand up and inform their kids they're fat, skinny or whatever, is also lying to their children and ought to be more ashamed than Nintendo.

I had health problems for being too skinny until a doctor told me I was dangerously so and ought to stop being a vegetarian. So I did what he said. I feel better.

The Wii game tells people they're fat. Get it into your thick heads it's doing you a favour, and do something about it rather than whining because a £69 product doesn't kiss your arse!

illincrux

Apr 15, 2008
Pfft, what a useless argument.
Like it's really going to go anywhere?
That kid could have just as easily been offended by looking at one of those disgusting celebrity fitness mags you see at the cash registers of every store...

You are what you are so live with it or go shoot yourself.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
And I think that's the most powerful lesson of all--realizing that even if you can change your future, that doesn't mean that what happened in your past was your fault.
You're associating fault with what I attribute to inevitability.

Whatever we feel or believe is the culmination of our perception of life. If we feel bad when someone says something offensive, it is because a part of us agrees with the offender. It is because _we_ give them weight over ourselves and take them seriously. It's as much the offender's 'fault' for offending you as it is yours for being offended. If you truly believe someone is ignorant, an asshole, or bigoted, then they should be dismissed and unable to touch you. Their words will be dismissed and would be bland and meaningless, and their views will be nonsensical and insipid. They could not offend you. Whatever in life has any effect whatsoever on us is due to our reaction to it. If we accept it, or agree with it, then we adopt and feel comfortable with it, and if we disagree or reject it, we steer away and clear from it. It is simply a matter of cause-and-effect, and we are all subject to it. I merely claim that to be happier overall, one should consciously limit what has an effect on oneself, accepting sources one has learned to trust and find comfort in.

The reason a person who is content with oneself would not strike at others is because they would not feel the need to do so. It's not that I can't. It's because I prefer not to, because it'd be a waste of effort. Upon meeting a troll, I don't light up a flamethrower. I ignore them and walk away. I have no need to light up a flamethrower because I have nothing substantial to burn. Another reason not to lash back out at others is that in lashing out the point is to hurt another. If they have not hurt you and you have lashed out because you believe they meant harm, then you're as despicable as they are, and your argument makes no sense because there's no vengeance to be taken if there's nothing to avenge: if you truly were not offended and you have dismissed a would-be aggressor, then by lashing out you are acting on your own accord and are being an aggressor right back. If this vengeance is due to your disgust of aggressors, then you will be disgusted with yourself and the conduct with which you have negotiated your life, and I believe that it will catch up to you sooner or later if this shame is not conscious at first.

The reason I discourage lashing out is that it is a reactionary behavior- a way of showing yourself, more than any other person, that you can be controlled and made to act in a certain (vindictive) way. You show yourself that you are back to being dependent on others' input for your own output. It is self-defeat if you mean to be in control of your life and be a healthy person.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Sorry--you misunderstood me. Read some of my other responses--I specifically said this was about deterrence, not vengeance.
This makes no difference because I was equating the vengeance of nothing with an offense. To deter someone from doing something is to be on the offensive, either before you are hurt or after you are hurt, which in itself makes you an offender- something you'd like to deter, and that is self-defeating through hypocrisy. I have already said that. Perhaps you should read my comment again.

Again, you dodge the main point which is if you feel the need to act out in aggression, preemptively or no, it is because you feel an aggression toward yourself- it is because you feel offended, and by definition that you are vulnerable and that the vulnerability has been stressed. You are admitting to yourself that you are letting others press your button, eliciting this 'deterring' behavior. I am not going to be impressed with whatever you decide to call it. Fighting fire with fire only makes you another flamer. Once you find yourself in a need to respond, you know you have been found too weak to dismiss someone who you claim is of lesser value to you than yourself- it is hypocritical on your part for believing yourself to be one thing (unaffected by the offender) and being another (having a need to deter the offender). Hypocrisy is what I believe to be the ultimate sin, and this is why I am so adamant about this.

Powerless; this will always leave you a victim- a childish one at that, kicking and flailing in all directions in fear of being kicked or flailed at. Even if no one hits you, you were still afraid all along. What's more shameful is that you're justifying this. If you still do, I must say that I believe that you have no idea what you or I am talking about.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
BlueMage said:
And yet, if you had been proactive sooner, the motivation for most to tease you would've been gone sooner. Perhaps it is wrong that they teased you, but all along you had the power to change that, and you chose not to use it, and you cannot blame others for that.
Umm, yes--yes you can. If someone starts hitting me with a bat and I say 'no' but don't move, that doesn't give them the right to keep hitting me with a bat, does it? Now not only do we have to retreat before the dicks of the world if we can before using force against them, but if we don't retreat what they are doing becomes acceptable?

You're blaming the victim here.
I'm blaming someone who refused to take action when the opportunity presented itself. That lion isn't going to stop attempting to eat you if you ask nicely - you MAKE it stop.

So, to go with your example, no, it doesn't give them the right to continue hitting you with a bat, but its your own moronic fault if you refuse to move when they try.