Nintendo E3 2011 - Your Reactions?

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
littlewisp said:
Pingieking said:
Well, that's the million dollar question.
Wii U is coming next year, so I think we can assume it'll be Fall 2012 launch. That means just about every third part game they announced for launch day would already have been out on X360 and PS3 for a year
I'm thinking they announced that so people could understand the direction they're moving in. It doesn't make as big an impact if they just say these companies will be making games for it -- instead they were able to give some concrete examples. One can make the assumption that many new, more hardcore games will be on this new system that previously only went to 360 and ps3.

One can only think that as new, more core games are announced there's a strong possibility they'll be going to the WiiU too now.
Yes, that's true. I'm just saying that the launch titles aren't too impressive at this point. I expect that from 2012 onwards every multiplatform game will be on PS3/X360/WiiU. Which is cool, but I don't think that'll help move systems or improve attachment rates.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Dexter111 said:
A new console ain't nothing. Did we already know those games? Sure we did. But that we can do all that with it? Yes, it was vague and pretty weird, as we still have to find out a lot of things, but it was in no way nothing. Nintendo showed the vast potential of their new console, way bigger than any console they offered before. Not to mention their pledge to vastly improve their online services, something Nintendo always sucked donkeyballs at.

It was just relatively meager when it came to the game line-up they showed. Except for the fact that we'll see the latest games on the Wii U, there wasn't that much new stuff on either the 3DS, their new Wii U or the current Wii.

Dr.Cereal1

Mar 30, 2011
So...you'd rather play these games on this console with a crappy controller than on the others with a good one?
They didn't steal the show at all.

TheBlitz

Jun 6, 2011
I think everybody is a bit too quick to criticize the controller. I'm sure once developers start playing around with what it can do, the WiiU will become very, very interesting. Even having it as an inventory (and I would guess a map system) would be a good start. Nobody can deny pausing a game, filtering through endless inventory options is annoying as hell at times.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Pingieking said:
Yes, that's true. I'm just saying that the launch titles aren't too impressive at this point. I expect that from 2012 onwards every multiplatform game will be on PS3/X360/WiiU. Which is cool, but I don't think that'll help move systems or improve attachment rates.
Yeah. What would be really cool is if they have a wiiu specific game that appeals to hardcore audiences and makes smooth use of that controller thing. I'm skeptical, but if they could pull that off. . .

Hawkmoon269

Apr 14, 2011
Well, the console's got HD graphics and its got a slew of good looking, core games lined up, so im pretty much happy.

As for the controller, its a cool idea, if it works well it'll be great, and so long as its comfy and easy to use for games, i'll be even happier.

All in all, a pretty good E3 for Nintendo as far as im concerned.

joemegson94

Aug 17, 2010
I tell you who's not happy about the press conference: Hitler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsy1eioglk

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
The WiiU is looking pretty interesting and goddamn do I wanna see that new Smash Bros. game, but it still sucks that we've heard nothing of Pikmin in about 3 years.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Dexter111 said:
A new console ain't nothing. Did we already know those games? Sure we did. But that we can do all that with it? Yes, it was vague and pretty weird, as we still have to find out a lot of things, but it was in no way nothing. Nintendo showed the vast potential of their new console, way bigger than any console they offered before. Not to mention their pledge to vastly improve their online services, something Nintendo always sucked donkeyballs at.

It was just relatively meager when it came to the game line-up they showed. Except for the fact that we'll see the latest games on the Wii U, there wasn't that much new stuff on either the 3DS, their new Wii U or the current Wii.
Sorry, I just got an image of Reggie Fils-Aime on stage expressing Nintendo's deep commitment to "not suck donkeyballs" this time.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
After seeing the Zelda thing where you have the inventory on the screen I can only think of one thing and thats PIP BOY.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I'm with Yathzee on this: a new console stands or falls on its (launch) game lineup. So for me it's a little early to tell what this will do.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
While the controller looks a bit bulky, and it kind of is "DS on the big screen with better graphics," and the "WiiU" is possibly the DUMBEST name ever, it at least puts Nintendo in front of it's competition with a new console while the others are trying desperately to play catch up. Nintendo has the other two guys by the balls, twisting the industry to it's whim. It will also be nice to actually get games that are actually released on all three consoles and PS at once instead of getting the occassional downgraded port, if ever at all.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
I hope developers let us use the duplicate screen option, the interaction between screens seemed kinda funky. Also, think how much that controller is gonna cost and how much battery life will it have. As for power, seems like it'll hold on until PS4 and Xbox 3 destroy it.

I didn't think the Wiimote was useful, but functional at pointing stuff, but shaking was just horrible. The dual screens of the DS still seem to me like a completely pointless thing.

Finally, Luigi's Mansion 2, New Super Mario Bros. Mii, Kid Icarus, Smash Bros, Zelda...and so on, and those games almost all look the same as their predecessors. Makes me think Nintendo is actually for kids who never played these franchises before.

One gem that stood out: Aliens Colonial Marines, though I'll probably get that for PS3.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I missed it.

Can someone give me a gist of what happened?

All I know is that there is a new smash bros, the new console is named something stupid, and the controller looks expensive as hell.y

Was there any new skyward sword footage/info? Any majora's Mask stuff?

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
Recently, I promised myself that I would not buy the next Nintendo console and go for Sony instead... Unfortunately, Nintendo is making it very hard for me to keep my promise. The controller looks sweet (although probably will be super expensive). I'm glad Nintendo finally put two fully functioning analog sticks on a controller (no, the GC controller doesn't count). A new Super Smash Bros, Tekken, frickin' Darksiders! Awesome!

Oh well, if it doesn't have good online, it's kinda destined to fail. I hope Nintendo sees that.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Honestly I fail to see how this can even compete with CURRENT gen consoles from Sony and MS. The horsepower is supposedly there, but can you really imagine yourself playing Mass Effect or Call of Duty on that ridiculous iPad controller? Because I can't. It's 20 inches wide for christ sake.

If Nintendo released another controller option that more closely resembled the 360 or PS3 pad, I'd be sold. Until then, "MEH!".

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
No news of the Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem remake that was released in Japan last summer? Even though it is so vastly superior to Shadow Dragon because SD stayed too true to the original?

Oh it is sad day!