Nintendo Failures seem exaggerated

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
On one hand, hyperbole is the wheelhouse of the internet.
On the other hand...this actually is the worst Nintendo has ever performed, and with no logical end in sight yet.

deadish said:
They probably could have been a contender if they didn't release Wii with underpowered hardware which gamers didn't take seriously due to to it's weakness. With the Wii U they blotched it again!
A contender? The Wii made Nintendo BILLIONS in profit.
Not revenue, PROFIT.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
On the other hand...this actually is the worst Nintendo has ever performed, and with no logical end in sight yet.

deadish said:
They probably could have been a contender if they didn't release Wii with underpowered hardware which gamers didn't take seriously due to to it's weakness. With the Wii U they blotched it again!
Not revenue, PROFIT.
It was unsustainable, though. They sold tons of systems but very few games. The only reason they made that much money is because the hardware itself was profitable from day one, instead of being sold at a loss and trying to make up the difference on software. Unfortunately they weren't able to pull that off two generations in a row., and now they're stuck in a pretty crappy place on the home console front, although their handheld business is doing about as well as ever (the 3DS isn't selling quite as well as the DS was at this point in it's life, but it's doing better than the GBA was). The whole Nintendoomed thing is silly, though. Even if they don't manage to turn the WiiU around, they made so much money on the Wii that the real question isn't whether they make a profit on it so much as whether they manage to get it right next gen. We've got a long time before we can tell whether or not to worry.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think most of us just roll our eyes at the fact they're making the same 5 games over and over.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I think Nintendo is a little closer to home for a lot of gamers than Sony or MS. Nintendo has made and continues to make some of the most memorable games out there, and they're the only company that invests primarily in games for their own machines. Microsoft makes software, they could stop making Xboxes tomorrow and the industry would just make games for another platform. Sony makes DVD players and TVs, same story really. Nintendo, on the other hand, if they fold they don't just stop making consoles, they stop making games. On top of that, they've been with what most of us know as the video game industry pretty much since Day One.

But aside from that:

It's really plain to see that Nintendo isn't doing fantastically well. It is true that MS and Sony have gone through their own layoffs, but bear in mind also that those two are orders of magnitude larger than Nintendo and mass layoffs aren't really all that rare in companies that size, and if one product flops there are a dozen others to pick up the slack. On the other hand, it's really plain to see that even though the Wii sold well, Nintendo just could not keep it up by producing the software that actually sustains the console. Nintendo's history of not reaching out to third party devs and, quite frankly, apparently complete stab-in-the-dark business decisions that just seem completely out of touch with the industry are catching up to them.

Sometimes going against the flow is a good move. Other times, doing it for its own sake is detrimental because there is a reason certain ways of doing things have become common. And if you're just saying that you're "going against the flow" in order to cover up a monumentally stupid move, you're just an ass.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Nintendo is behind the times.

They have no account system after 7 years of it being the norm.
They have shit marketing.
They still have region locking on their consoles when both Sony and Microsoft have (mostly) dropped it.

I have no dislike of Nintendo, I want to see them do better.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Atmos Duality said:

deadish said:
Not revenue, PROFIT.
It was unsustainable, though. They sold tons of systems but very few games. The only reason they made that much money is because the hardware itself was profitable from day one, instead of being sold at a loss and trying to make up the difference on software. Unfortunately they weren't able to pull that off two generations in a row., and now they're stuck in a pretty crappy place on the home console front, although their handheld business is doing about as well as ever (the 3DS isn't selling quite as well as the DS was at this point in it's life, but it's doing better than the GBA was). The whole Nintendoomed thing is silly, though. Even if they don't manage to turn the WiiU around, they made so much money on the Wii that the real question isn't whether they make a profit on it so much as whether they manage to get it right next gen. We've got a long time before we can tell whether or not to worry.
It didn't help either how easily pirate-able it was and how little advertisement there was for great titles like Trauma Team or HotD Overkill.

Still, Sony is a lot more likely to drop out than Nintendo is unless they change a lot of things about their company which loses money in almost every department.

That said, the WiiU is the only next gen console i own so far. Thanks to most of their exclusives being FPS titles, which i'm almost entirely bored of, neither PS$ nor Xbone are interesting to me.

Lovely Mixture said:
They have no account system after 7 years of it being the norm.
They do since one of their recent updates. It links your WiiU and 3DS purchases to a single account.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
lapan said:
They do since one of their recent updates. It links your WiiU and 3DS purchases to a single account.
True, not sure how I missed that. It's not perfect, cause it's tied to consoles more than an actual account, but it's a start.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
It was unsustainable, though.
Obviously. Everything has a shelf life in this business; what matters to the producers is how much scratch they can make before it's up.

Even if they don't manage to turn the WiiU around, they made so much money on the Wii that the real question isn't whether they make a profit on it so much as whether they manage to get it right next gen. We've got a long time before we can tell whether or not to worry.
Depends on what you call "A long time".
R&D is an inevitable step unless Nintendo bows out of the hardware market, so the question becomes "When to develop, what to develop?"

I could break down Nintendo's recent finances and demonstrate how they don't have nearly as much of that Wii cash as they used to, but the skinny of it is that regardless of when, they effectively have one last chance at the home console market.

A new console and requisite online system is going to cost BILLIONS at the very least. 3 billion is the current lowball estimate for the Xbone, but that cost didn't include online infrastructure, in which Nintendo lags sorely behind.

Furthermore, NOBODY is going to support it unless Nintendo starts making some powerful concessions to third parties.
And to do that, they first need to stop acting like they're king shit of the gaming world.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
kilenem said:
It seems like when ever something bad for goes for Nintendo its bigger news then problems at Microsoft and Sony. People start jumping to conclusions like its the Death of Nintendo. In comparison Microsoft lost a billion dollars this year on the Xbox brand and that is a improvement. Sony is set to lose 1 billion this year and has laid off 5000 people. It seems like those two are doing worse.
Do you remember E3? Do you remember the sheer volume of shit that hit the fan for Microsoft to the point where they had to drastically change how their console would function? Do you remember the memes and bile that came out of the whole thing? It was far larger than anything on Nintendo. The different with Nintendo is that it's a ship that we're watching sinking whereas Microsoft's mistakes were huge explosions that eventually disappate. If Microsoft's mistakes result in them faltering like the WiiU then that will get reported on every step of the way too. But that isn't the case, yet, and there is still wiggle room for Microsoft to try and better its position whereas Nintendo is in its second year.

Nintendo's failures are generation killing for them. This problem is even larger because that's all Nintendo is, a game and console manufacturer. Sony and Microsoft are massive corporations and this is only one of their divisions. So a failure here is a bigger deal for the company. When you read failures of Sony or Microsoft it's company-wide and may not impact the gaming division at all. Sony lost its money in other departments and sold of the computer division (which, by the way, includes many of those 5,000 layoffs). In what way does that impact the entertainment and gaming division? It doesn't, not directly.

Additionally, Nintendo is most of our childhoods as gamers. I still remember duck hunt and the original Mario games. I remember sticking that orange and gray gun directly against the screen and still missing. I remember wanting to murder a laughing dog. Everything. Nintendo IS nostalgia for us. It faltering IS news, especially if this is the first step to our loss of Nintendo consoles going forward. Keep in mind, Nintendo was falling in the 5th generation. That N64 we all remember and love lost something like 33% or more of its market share from the previous console to the ps1 which only existed because they broke contract with Sony. Then in the 6th generation it dropped another 33% and that was a generation where their console was more powerful than the other consoles and cheaper.

Only the Wiimote saved the Wii because of its innovation. This generation, the WiiU is no better than the gamecube was, functionally, because the gamepad just isn't anywhere close to the innovative explosion that the Wiimote ushered in and Microsoft and Sony both have their own peripherals to accomodate motion control. Heck, Sony even has a "gamepad" that allows remote play from across the world of the system games as well as an application that is coming out that makes Android and iOS devices similar to a Vita in that aspect. So without innovation, what's to keep them from getting back on track to sliding down to failure if their software wasn't enough before? SNES->49 million, N64->33 million->, Gamecube->22 million. Not much changed software-wise with the Wii that was 100million+ units sold.

So we care about Nintendo's failures a bit more. There is no parent company to catch them if they fall and we mostly still have a soft spot for them even if we no longer prefer their console. Things people care about are what news reports are for.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Nintendo is not that big of a company compared to its competitors. So when it fails, it really fails. The Wii U is a disaster that they have to make up for somewhere else. Hence, they're openly looking for acquisitions or mergers.

Roosterteeth's The Patch podcast suggested something interesting: a merger between Nintendo and Disney. They both have similar audiences and ideals, and they could market the shit out of each other. Obviously, it's not going to happen because Nintendo is Japanese and Disney is not, but it's a cute idea.

I think Nintendo's plan is to get into the health-entertainment hardware business. So, they're pretty much disregarding the fans they've made for the past 25 years, and focusing on making Mario-themed step-counters. I don't see it working, but hey, my GameCube still works so I'm happy.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
rasputin0009 said:
Nintendo is not that big of a company compared to its competitors. So when it fails, it really fails. The Wii U is a disaster that they have to make up for somewhere else. Hence, they're openly looking for acquisitions or mergers.

This is a misconception. Nintendo is actually currently worth about the same (actually slightly more when I last checked) than Sony. Not the gaming division, ALL of Sony. And the profits Sony have made from gaming is minuscule compared to Nintendo. Even in their current state, Nintendo is actually doing better than Sony as a whole.

Note: Not saying that Nintendo shouldn't change what they're doing. They do need to get with the times in some way or another, but to say that small money losses hit them harder than other companies, or that they're in danger of going 3rd party from just the WiiU is just silly.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
There is reason to hope. Watchdogs may yet come out for the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 on the way. I can't wait to see that. This may be a huge year and a huge turnaround for them.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Blaze the Dragon said:
rasputin0009 said:

This is a misconception. Nintendo is actually currently worth about the same (actually slightly more when I last checked) than Sony. Not the gaming division, ALL of Sony. And the profits Sony have made from gaming is minuscule compared to Nintendo. Even in their current state, Nintendo is actually doing better than Sony as a whole.

Note: Not saying that Nintendo shouldn't change what they're doing. They do need to get with the times in some way or another, but to say that small money losses hit them harder than other companies, or that they're in danger of going 3rd party from just the WiiU is just silly.
I think you're a little confused. Total assets of Sony (according to wikipedia): 151 billion US dollars. Nintendo's total assets(according to Wikipedia): 13.7 billion US dollars. Unless you're measuring a company's size by something else?

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Lightknight said:
kilenem said:
It seems like when ever something bad for goes for Nintendo its bigger news then problems at Microsoft and Sony. People start jumping to conclusions like its the Death of Nintendo. In comparison Microsoft lost a billion dollars this year on the Xbox brand and that is a improvement. Sony is set to lose 1 billion this year and has laid off 5000 people. It seems like those two are doing worse.
Do you remember E3? Do you remember the sheer volume of shit that hit the fan for Microsoft to the point where they had to drastically change how their console would function? Do you remember the memes and bile that came out of the whole thing? It was far larger than anything on Nintendo. The different with Nintendo is that it's a ship that we're watching sinking whereas Microsoft's mistakes were huge explosions that eventually disappate. If Microsoft's mistakes result in them faltering like the WiiU then that will get reported on every step of the way too. But that isn't the case, yet, and there is still wiggle room for Microsoft to try and better its position whereas Nintendo is in its second year.

Nintendo's failures are generation killing for them. This problem is even larger because that's all Nintendo is, a game and console manufacturer. Sony and Microsoft are massive corporations and this is only one of their divisions. So a failure here is a bigger deal for the company. When you read failures of Sony or Microsoft it's company-wide and may not impact the gaming division at all. Sony lost its money in other departments and sold of the computer division (which, by the way, includes many of those 5,000 layoffs). In what way does that impact the entertainment and gaming division? It doesn't, not directly.

Additionally, Nintendo is most of our childhoods as gamers. I still remember duck hunt and the original Mario games. I remember sticking that orange and gray gun directly against the screen and still missing. I remember wanting to murder a laughing dog. Everything. Nintendo IS nostalgia for us. It faltering IS news, especially if this is the first step to our loss of Nintendo consoles going forward. Keep in mind, Nintendo was falling in the 5th generation. That N64 we all remember and love lost something like 33% or more of its market share from the previous console to the ps1 which only existed because they broke contract with Sony. Then in the 6th generation it dropped another 33% and that was a generation where their console was more powerful than the other consoles and cheaper.

Only the Wiimote saved the Wii because of its innovation. This generation, the WiiU is no better than the gamecube was, functionally, because the gamepad just isn't anywhere close to the innovative explosion that the Wiimote ushered in and Microsoft and Sony both have their own peripherals to accomodate motion control. Heck, Sony even has a "gamepad" that allows remote play from across the world of the system games as well as an application that is coming out that makes Android and iOS devices similar to a Vita in that aspect. So without innovation, what's to keep them from getting back on track to sliding down to failure if their software wasn't enough before? SNES->49 million, N64->33 million->, Gamecube->22 million. Not much changed software-wise with the Wii that was 100million+ units sold.

So we care about Nintendo's failures a bit more. There is no parent company to catch them if they fall and we mostly still have a soft spot for them even if we no longer prefer their console. Things people care about are what news reports are for.
I kind of agree with your argument about Microsoft things being blown out proportion like when Killer Instinct didn't wrok at fighting tournament because they didn't have a good internet connection. That problem was true for XBLA titles on the 360. That wasn't new. On the Other side Microsoft has horrible P.R. Microsoft should've been up front. We've sold the last two consoles at a loss and need to make money elsewhere. I think people would've been more sympathetic to Microsoft. Not to many people were mad the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible because they knew it would in increase the cost. They also teased Playstation Now as something you could use to go and play older titles on your PS4. Personally I'm not getting a PS4 until GTA 5, and Ratchet and Clank into the nexus are playable on the PS4.

Nintendo still has over 7 billion dollars they don't need a parent company. Sony failures in the other part of the company seem like they may be affecting game development. They closed the studio that made Wipe out, My favorite SOny title because Nintendo wont make another F-Zero Game. The Socom team and the play station allstars team. I've seen studios make worse games and stay open. They closed with in two years of launching a new console and the VITA doesn't have a library as impressive as the 3DS. I think the other side of their business is cutting into gaming. Plus their has been now talk of how well the VTIA TV is doing which worries me.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
rasputin0009 said:

Roosterteeth's The Patch podcast suggested something interesting: a merger between Nintendo and Disney. They both have similar audiences and ideals, and they could market the shit out of each other. Obviously, it's not going to happen because Nintendo is Japanese and Disney is not, but it's a cute idea.

I think Nintendo's plan is to get into the health-entertainment hardware business. So, they're pretty much disregarding the fans they've made for the past 25 years, and focusing on making Mario-themed step-counters. I don't see it working, but hey, my GameCube still works so I'm happy.
I don't like Disney and before Disney took over Marvel, Marvel always had the best video games. Lego Marvel was one of the best Marvel games in recent memory. It was made by the company that owns DC. Marvel has yet to make a match Arkaham asylum. Although I'm surprised they're hasn't been a marvel Zombies cash in. Since there is a Comic about Marvel Zombies in a post apocalyptic world.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Panzer Camper said:
People have already pointed it out but Nintendo has really screwed the gamer in every department except in the core titles. People (myself included) love their games. Of my top five games of all time at least two would be a Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. However, they make really really bad consoles that deprive you of basically every third party title so I avoid the Wii and Wii U.

If MS had a console that made quality GOW titles and Halo titles only I would never buy it but be very mad at MS for basically taking good games hostage. That is how I feel about nintendo. I want their games, but they are douches as they refuse to even pretend to back the third parties and make a normal console. So many of us are just crossing our fingers praying for their terrible console choices to cost them big so they are forced to go the route of sega or actually make a real console I can justify buying. Either way I win and get to play my fill of Mario and Zelda without having to buy two consoles.

Personally if either Ms or sony went of the gaming market it wouldn't kill me because MOST of the games in my library are cross platform and I could just jump ship to the other console so I don't really care if they go out.
3RD party support is a duel edge sword because the way COD was handled last generation with better treatment on the Xbox with early DLC and all round better game. Although they did try to make a good game on the Wii. The PC and PS3 ports had a lot problems. Also people are still pissed that Bayonetta 2 is a exclusive even though Nintendo is flipping the bill. People are mad monster Hunter 3 ultimate didn't go to the PSP and I believe that is because Sony didn't want to pay for the localization.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
kilenem said:
Microsoft lost a lot of money, sure. And Sony lost a lot of money as well (though if I'm not mistaken it's the rest of the electronics divisions really dragging things down? Might be wrong though).

But how does "these guys lost more money," translate into "Nintendo's failures are exaggerated?"

Allow me to put things into perspective: the only reason Nintendo survived the relative sales failures of the N64 and Gamecube is because they made money on every console sold from day one. The only reason the Wii became such a license to print money was because they were making money on every console sold from day one.

But so far this generation they've managed to abandon that sound business model altogether. The 3DS was, I believe, sold at a profit at launch. Except that it's launch was awful, sales were atrocious, and they started selling it at a loss to kickstart things. They were lucky and it seems to have worked so long run they'll probably be fine on that. But for a while there it was extremely tough going, and if the 3DS isn't as big a success as say the DS was, this selling it at a loss is at the very least going to prevent them from being as successful with it.

But you see, that pales in comparison to the Wii U. The Wii U has been sold at a loss from the start. Probably because making that stupid tablet controller cost them a lot of money. Their marketing for it was shit since most Wii users don't even know it's a new console. They didn't research their market at all and just expected those casual gamers who made the Wii a success would still be there to give them money even though most have moved on to actual tablets or just smartphones, assuming they even knew it was a new console, which most of them don't. And to top it off, it's been selling less than the PS3 did in it's first year. Not just a little less either: it is a couple of million units behind the PS3's first year sales. The same console that when it was released, people claimed was a sales flop (which it really wasn't. It sold more every year post launch than the 360 did after it's launch and it's sales grew faster than the 360. It just started a year behind and way more expensive. The Wii U is a sales flop on the other hand).

So the company that always made money because they always played it smart has gotten basically every decision they've made in the last few years with the exception of the 3DS price drop wrong.

They're selling their hardware at a loss. They've botched their marketing, they misjudged their market, their Wii U sales are in the toilet, and it has the software sales to match. To date, the Wii U is an unmitigated failure on every level imaginable. Now they've banked so much money over the years that they can probably ride it out until they either pull off the near impossible and turn the Wii U around (unlikely since the issue isn't really one of price and they never managed to get the N64 or Gamecube to take off, and the Wii's runaway success was largely a well timed fluke) or can get a successor to the Wii U to market. But if they can't do either of those, then they are going to bleed a lot of money before they turn things around.

So who cares who lost the most money? Nintendo is still bleeding cash and has made mistakes at every possible turn this generation. That companies that are bigger and have their hands in more pots and make more money as a result lost more than them is irrelevant. Of course companies involved in multiple industries worth multiple billions lose more money when things go horribly wrong. Doesn't mean things aren't bad for Nintendo just the same.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
We simply care more about Nintendo than the other two. That's how it is for me anyway.
Nintendo entertained me for my first gaming years with the NES and SNES, and frankly, it always felt like I owe them one.

But unless they start delivering things like, say, a new Starfox or localize games like Mother 3, I'm more than happy to move on. Should have gone software only 4 years ago. You know, back then when I called them out on this very forum for not taking that route. And now they have a new console, and where is it going? Survey says!:

Down.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
kilenem said:
Lightknight said:
kilenem said:

I kind of agree with your argument about Microsoft things being blown out proportion like when Killer Instinct didn't wrok at fighting tournament because they didn't have a good internet connection. That problem was true for XBLA titles on the 360. That wasn't new. On the Other side Microsoft has horrible P.R. Microsoft should've been up front. We've sold the last two consoles at a loss and need to make money elsewhere. I think people would've been more sympathetic to Microsoft. Not to many people were mad the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible because they knew it would in increase the cost. They also teased Playstation Now as something you could use to go and play older titles on your PS4. Personally I'm not getting a PS4 until GTA 5, and Ratchet and Clank into the nexus are playable on the PS4.
There weren't very many ways Microsoft could have positively spun everything they did. Basically, their only way to have avoided that would have been to properly research their markets before making those huge mistakes. They're still surprised that consumers don't want those things.

But the point of my commenting was to show that any mistakes of any group gets blown out of proportion. It's basic reporting 101 now a days to make something very big out of something small. You also get the people who care the most one way or the other responding in threads so everything is polarized. Not just Nintendo stories.

Nintendo still has over 7 billion dollars they don't need a parent company.
That number was 10.5 billion a year ago and 10% of their investors are selling their stock now, and that's only one family (and 10% of the company is more than 10% of the cash). If Nintendo has a bad year, it's pure loss with no help of another division propping them up. As things are, it looks like Nintendo's 8th generation console is pure loss for what, for 5 years? How low in the cash department do you think Nintendo goes before they drop console manufacturing to focus on handhelds or something else?

Nintendo is in an ok position. They certainly shouldn't die this generation. But they're not quite as safe as people think and there are things that could happen to make that pile of money diminish greatly.

Sony failures in the other part of the company seem like they may be affecting game development. They closed the studio that made Wipe out, My favorite SOny title because Nintendo wont make another F-Zero Game. The Socom team and the play station allstars team. I've seen studios make worse games and stay open. They closed with in two years of launching a new console and the VITA doesn't have a library as impressive as the 3DS. I think the other side of their business is cutting into gaming. Plus their has been now talk of how well the VTIA TV is doing which worries me.
Nintendo's failure is a failure of the home console which is generally considered to be the "big boy" market if you will. Playstation's Vita usually sells better than the WiiU. For the past couple of months they've been neck and neck and nearly all last year the Vita was kicking the WiiU around and that was with dismal software support from Sony (Sony somehow managed to support the Vita even less than Nintendo supported their WiiU). I don't think Sony doing poorly in the handheld market is equivalent to Nintendo's fall from the third most sold console of all time and last generation's winner where console units are concerned.

They aren't just selling FAR fewer consoles, they're taking hundreds of dollars in losses per unit sold whereas they profited on every Wii ever sold right out the gate.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Kl4pp5tuhl said:
WeepingAngels said:
We simply care more about Nintendo than the other two. That's how it is for me anyway.
Nintendo entertained me for my first gaming years with the NES and SNES, and frankly, it always felt like I owe them one.

But unless they start delivering things like, say, a new Starfox or localize games like Mother 3, I'm more than happy to move on. Should have gone software only 4 years ago. You know, back then when I called them out on this very forum for not taking that route. And now they have a new console, and where is it going? Survey says!:

Down.
They were going downhill with the N64 and Gamecube too but that wasn't the end for them.

Let's be honest here, Nintendo's games would not shine so brightly on competitors systems. I have always thought, in the back of my mind, that Nintendo can only achieve that level of polish because they know the hardware better than any other developer and because they developed the hardware to be "Nintendo-friendly". That is to say that they knew their strengths and limitations while designing the hardware.